Worst beer ever created by mankind

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

dubsola

Re: Worst beer ever created by mankind

Postby dubsola » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:57 am UTC

Yeah, I quite like the Rodenbach, but then I like sour flavours in general.

ImagingGeek wrote:I also occasionally buy a smoked beer (rauch-somethingorother) - it's so smoky it's like drinking a camp fire. I still buy it - to make BBQ sauce. The beer makes great BBQ sauce, but as a beverage, is all but unpalatable.

"Rauchen" means to smoke in German. Any beer preceeded by 'Rauch' means a smoky flavoured beer, and there are a fair number of them out there.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:05 am UTC

Strongbow, for obvious reasons, and Kopparberg Pear Cider. That shit be sugary

...Yo.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

ImagingGeek

Postby ImagingGeek » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:22 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Strongbow, for obvious reasons, and Kopparberg Pear Cider. That shit be sugary...Yo.

Strongbow is a cider, not a beer...

...but is still crap. There are some really good ciders out there!

Bryan
I have a new blog, on making beer.

Not that anyone reads it...

ImagingGeek

Postby ImagingGeek » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Yeah, I quite like the Rodenbach, but then I like sour flavours in general.

ImagingGeek wrote:I also occasionally buy a smoked beer (rauch-somethingorother) - it's so smoky it's like drinking a camp fire. I still buy it - to make BBQ sauce. The beer makes great BBQ sauce, but as a beverage, is all but unpalatable.

"Rauchen" means to smoke in German. Any beer preceeded by 'Rauch' means a smoky flavoured beer, and there are a fair number of them out there.

I am aware of what a rauchbeer is, and have made several of my own. I just do not remember the name off hand of the one I use for BBQ sauce - it comes in a ceramic (or earthenware, bottles brown and coarse) bottle. There are several rauchbeers I have had that I enjoyed - all of which that had a much more balanced taste profile. I.E. smoke+hops+malt, not smoke+smoke+smoke.

Bryan
I have a new blog, on making beer.

Not that anyone reads it...

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

I think a fun direction to take this thread is listing a handful of cheap beers I love, either sentimentally or because I think they're good:
Old Style, Red Stripe, Rolling Rock, and Miller Highlife.
Now I'll list a handful of beers that aren't pricy, but are loved by all, that I loathe (despise!):
Guinness. Rogue. All of Dogfish, Magic Hat, Anchor Steam, and Fat Tire.

That is all.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Red Stripe

I can admit to having relished a Red Stripe on occasion.
Izawwlgood wrote:Guinness

Weirdo.

;)
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:34 am UTC

Dream wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Red Stripe

I can admit to having relished a Red Stripe on occasion.

Notting Hill Carnival and Red Stripe go together like Notting Hill Carnival and reggae music :D

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Rogue
I think saying that means you just dislike all of beer? :mrgreen:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Rogue
I think saying that means you just dislike all of beer? :mrgreen:

Just overly pretentious and shitty ones. 8)
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:19 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Now I'll list a handful of beers that aren't pricy, but are loved by all, that I loathe (despise!):
Guinness. Rogue. All of Dogfish, Magic Hat, Anchor Steam, and Fat Tire.

I agree with about half of this and strongly disagree with the other half. Guinness is pretty lacking in flavor. It's not my favorite style, but even for a dry irish stout it's just not very good. I've never really liked any of the Magic Hat I've tried. Anchor Steam tasted pretty bad when I've tried it, but it's always been in a shitty bar that probably has really dirty taps, so maybe thats the reason. I think Anchor's porter is pretty good though. Fat Tire I think is kind of meh, not bad but nothing to get excited about.

As for Dogfish Head and Rogue, I think you're crazy, because they make some tasty beer. Palo Santo Marron is one of my favorite beers, not to mention 60 minute and 90 minute and as for Rogue, their dead guy, double dead guy, mocha porter, american amber, its's all delicious.

Edit:
So after my initial post, I was looking at the wikipedia page for a Guinness and I noticed that it said the preferable drinking method for bottled Guinness draught, according to the company, was straight from the bottle. I checked the Guinness website and it said the same thing. WTF? Why would you tell people that they should drink your beer straight from the bottle? Do you really not want them to smell the beer?

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:44 pm UTC

telcontar42 wrote:As for Dogfish Head and Rogue, I think you're crazy...
Yeah. That.

So after my initial post, I was looking at the wikipedia page for a Guinness and I noticed that it said the preferable drinking method for bottled Guinness draught, according to the company, was straight from the bottle. I checked the Guinness website and it said the same thing. WTF? Why would you tell people that they should drink your beer straight from the bottle? Do you really not want them to smell the beer?
I suppose that's so the widget works correctly?

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

Once back in college a few years back, I was playing a game of beer pong. Lost a cup drank and spat out all the beer over the table.

"What the hell was that?"
"Summer Shandy mixed with Keystone Ice. What the hells wrong?"

Worst thing I have ever tasted. Summer shandy is horrible, the worst beer .

Also highly overrated(but still barely drinkable): Guinness, Heineken, anything by New Belgium.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Of course, I highly doubt these freeze distilled beers use recipes that are intended for drinking without going through the freeze distillation process.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin is made from Brewdog's Paradox, which is sold on its own as a 10% ABV imperial stout, and has been since before TNP existed. So, flatly, you are wrong.
Izawwlgood wrote:I loathe ... Rogue. All of Dogfish, Magic Hat, Anchor Steam, and Fat Tire.

It's odd that you would have sampled every single one of Dogfish Head's offerings if you disliked them so intensely. For that matter, Rogue and Magic Hat between them have put out over 100 brews...

Are you sure you're not just a hipster? ;p
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:It's odd that you would have sampled every single one of Dogfish Head's offerings if you disliked them so intensely.

Man, I was gonna say. Dogfish's brews are often so weird and off the wall that you can't know what they're going to taste like without drinking that particular beer.

I mean, fuck, right now they're brewing three beers based off of chemical analysis of ancient pots from ancient china, ancient greece, and ancient honduras. I've tasted the greek one (Midas Touch) and it was delicious. I....really don't expect Chateau Jiahu and Theobroma to taste terribly similar to it, though.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:15 pm UTC

Miller High Life is the worst beer ever brought into my home. The worst ever was probably Keystone Light, which made me want to puke after drinking one.

As far as beers that think they're all that but aren't: Great Lakes. They make a decent porter, and I enjoyed the Nosferatu, but against other beers in that price range, they can't compete. Their price point is too high, and they don't satisfy.

LongLiveTheDutch

Postby LongLiveTheDutch » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:53 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
I suppose that's so the widget works correctly?

Yes, for the widget to work.

People always tell me Guinness tastes like coffee, but I've never tasted that. Also, they use nitrogen instead of carbonation so it's smoother. You also need to let your pint sit for a while, until it's all nice and dark brown. I like it, some don't.

My votes for worst beer: Some Indian beer I had at a restaurant once because I wanted to try something different. Gross.
Whoever mentioned the cheap Aldi pilsners, you are bang on. After half of the bottle it tastes like the worst pee you've ever had.
I don't like Richard's White, but that's my preference, I'd drink it if there was nothing else.
My vote for the worst ever: Bud Light Lime. I had one at my cousins house because he offered it to me and I'd never had it. Horrible.

The "cheap" beer that I really like is Old Style Pilsner. One or two after a long day's work is great.

I usually go to the liquor store and buy single beers. It costs more, but I don't drink a lot and I like to try new beers and new flavours.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:31 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:It's odd that you would have sampled every single one of Dogfish Head's offerings if you disliked them so intensely. For that matter, Rogue and Magic Hat between them have put out over 100 brews...

Obviously my blanket tongue in cheek comment should have conveyed my superior palette and expansive collection of beer sampling.
I've probably tried a combined total of 10 varieties between Rogue and Magic Hat. Sue me.
Bakemaster wrote:Are you sure you're not just a hipster? ;p

LE GASP!

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:20 pm UTC

See, Magic Hat is one of my least favorite Regional Craft Brewers That Distribute Mixed 12 Packs*, but that doesn't make them bad -- far from it. I *might* say they're the bottom of the barrel that I'll still willingly purchase, and mostly I just blame the heavy inclusion of #9 in the mixes.

You really can typically identify common tastes, trends etc from most breweries. I find Rogue harder than most, but then again I've been to Rogue tastings each of the last 3 years (and #4 is next weekend) with 30+ on tap, so it's much harder mostly due to sheer magnitude... and intoxication. With Dogfish the common thread is weird, and for what it's worth Belial, Theobroma is awesome. Midas touch was not my cup of tea, so clearly my time machine European drinking vacation will be skipping ancient Greece.

*My hierarchy, from everyday drinkable to awesome: Craft brewer that distributes in homogeneous 12 packs, Mixed 12s, only 6s, 6s & bombers, only bombers, 750s, Ouch That's Expensive.

Izawwlgood wrote:
Mr. Bakerstein wrote:Are you sure you're not just a hipster? ;p
LE GASP!
That's a yes, right?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:and for what it's worth Belial, Theobroma is awesome.

Man, it fucking looks awesome just from the ingredients and flavors. Whatever civilization it was that brewed that stuff (I forget) knew how to make beer after my own heart.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

Aztec.

ginadagny

Postby ginadagny » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

I'm not a beer expert by any means but I can not bring myself to drink American Budweiser or Molson Canadian. EUGH.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:27 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:Once back in college a few years back, I was playing a game of beer pong. Lost a cup drank and spat out all the beer over the table.

"What the hell was that?"
"Summer Shandy mixed with Keystone Ice. What the hells wrong?"

Worst thing I have ever tasted. Summer shandy is horrible, the worst beer .

Summer shandy isn't a type of beer, it's a drink made with beer (beer plus lemonade, if I remember correctly). It can be delightful. If someone bought the stuff pre-mixed I would definitely assume it to be nasty like all those other weird ready-made mixed drinks in a can.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:49 am UTC

From context, I'd surmise that it was made using keystone light (plus lemonade). This is guaranteed to be bad.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:Also highly overrated(but still barely drinkable): Guinness, Heineken, anything by New Belgium.

I agree. Heineken is horrible. What Guinness are you talking about? The Draught, Extra Stout or the Special Export? 'Cause I'm quite fond of the Special Export

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:54 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Dark567 wrote:Also highly overrated(but still barely drinkable): Guinness, Heineken, anything by New Belgium.

I agree. Heineken is horrible. What Guinness are you talking about? The Draught, Extra Stout or the Special Export? 'Cause I'm quite fond of the Special Export

I was referring to the Draught. The Extra Stout and the Special Export are both fair beers in my book.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

Yeah, the draught is a bit bland. Still, I like it from time to time.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the worst beer I've ever tried is Stack High Gravity Lager. It's dominated by two flavors, one is melting plastic and the other is melting rubber. It didn't even taste like something that could safely be consumed.

Second place goes to Steel Reserve, which tasted like vinegar.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/beer-30-light/62528/

Beer 30: It's so bad its good. It only comes in 30 packs and costs around $7.50 for said 30 pack.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

Uhhh I guess Bud Lite. Most light/lite things are not good. Bud Light tastes like water slightly flavored with the urine of a man who drank a lot of beer, with an almost-but-not-quite beer aroma.

My father has told me terrible things about Lambic beers. He says some taste funky with a sort of cherry flavor, and others taste funky in a sweaty horse kind of way.
uhhhh fuck.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:30 am UTC

Midnight wrote:My father has told me terrible things about Lambic beers. He says some taste funky with a sort of cherry flavor, and others taste funky in a sweaty horse kind of way.

Oh dear. Lambic beers are an acquired taste, sure, but saying they're 'bad' is like saying French cooking is bad because it's not as tasty as a burger.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

Kinda like the sourdough of beer isn't it?
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

Much in the way that both thunderstorms and atomic weapons produce clouds.

shanghaitexan

Postby shanghaitexan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:14 am UTC

i live in china and have become accustomed to qingdao (or tsingdao). it's terrible the way keystone is terrible. it doesn't taste good, but it really doesn't taste like anything and it's light so it's easy to drink in large quantities. recently a friend found qingdao light (i was unaware the original qingdao wasn't a light beer) and bought it as a joke. it was drinkable when cold, but by the time i got to the final quarter of the can it had warmed up and was absolutely vile.

also, someone bought me a beer and put a shot of tequila in it recently. i will nominate that for the worst beer ever created by mankind if it still counts as beer. seriously, as "undrinkable" as some beers are, my body literally wouldn't let me drink this. my throat would close up and i couldn't even swallow it.

darthchazza

Postby darthchazza » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

In Australia the worst I've tasted is "Carlton Cold". Flavorless piss wen drunk at subzero temperatures as the name instructs, tastes like a mixture of water and lead paint when it warms up.
Flo3:16 wrote:You sir are a Winner. Just because you have the testicular fortitude to dress up as freakin Zoidberg. :mrgreen:

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:14 pm UTC

Imagine, someone not knowing anything about making beers deciding to make their own. Imagine that these people have no tastebuds, so their basic idea is "does this make me drunk and look faintly similar to beer? If so we're saying it's done!". Now, imagine one of their beers standing on a table out in the rain. It's raining heavily so it's getting quite dilluted, also someone decided to stomp their cigarette in it. Imagine it is your beer, and you gave up on it earlier and left it there because it tasted so vile it made your ears try to escape your body. The dog may or may not have take a sip of it as well. Now, imagine, you're outside, thirsty as hell, and drunk off your butt, suddenly this beer looks quite tempting, it's yours after all, and the cigarette can just be fished out, and you are thirsty. Oh so very thirsty.

That was the worst beer I've ever drunk.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

DecemberSoul

Postby DecemberSoul » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

That's a sad story if ever I heard one.

Tennents. Bleurgh.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:22 am UTC

dubsola wrote:
Midnight wrote:My father has told me terrible things about Lambic beers. He says some taste funky with a sort of cherry flavor, and others taste funky in a sweaty horse kind of way.

Oh dear. Lambic beers are an acquired taste, sure, but saying they're 'bad' is like saying French cooking is bad because it's not as tasty as a burger.

I cannot imagine anything with the phrase "...in a sweaty horse kind of way" could ever be deemed good. Any food, at least.
uhhhh fuck.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:14 am UTC

Since macros have already been discussed to death, I'll throw in another shitty micro: Sweetwater Blue.

I'm sure someone could make a beer with blueberries and have it be good. Well, somewhat sure. But I don't think that someone is Sweetwater.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:49 am UTC

Raspberries on the other hand... I don't mind Purple Haze on occasion.
(The beer or the Hendrix version)
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:47 am UTC

Midnight wrote:
dubsola wrote:

I cannot imagine anything with the phrase "...in a sweaty horse kind of way" could ever be deemed good. Any food, at least.

Well that's just silly. Umm.... Cheese?

Return to “Food”