Homemade Cola?

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Homemade Cola?

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:56 pm UTC

It occurs to me that there might very well be someone on this board who has essayed homemade cola, such as the famous Opencola. (I actually recall seeing a science fair project along those lines once, though I didn't have the opportunity to sample the product.) Apparently some of the flavoring oils are not only expensive, but quite dangerous to handle.

So have you tried it? How did it work out?

Jorpho

Re: Homemade Cola?

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:21 am UTC

amy12white wrote:not worth it. cola is cheap on its own neways.
One does not do things like this merely to save money.

Alx_xlA

Postby Alx_xlA » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

If you actually look at the OpenCola instructions, you'll see that the only major danger of the oils is skin irritation, and the only particularly expensive one was the neroli oil. Most of the dangers are from the acid and caffeine.
My signature contains forty-four characters.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:42 pm UTC

Made several types of cola, as well as Ginger Ale (we have one going right now, utilizing a lemon est/ginger syrup method, and champagne yeast). It's easy and DELICIOUS! Oh man, so delicious... add some orange zest to your cola mixture and you won't be disappointed!

ralphre43

Postby ralphre43 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:00 am UTC

Yeah,

I think I'll stay with the bought stuff. I don't want to end up in hospital because I was trying to save a few bucks.

Ralph

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

Right, after looking at the ingredients at OpenCola, if you make something from those that puts you in the hospital, I'm not sure I'd trust you with making toast either as you either have no idea how to measure ingredients and assume that you have to dump the entire package in at once OR you have no idea what kitchen hygiene is, in which case I'd rather not shake hands either.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Coin

Postby Coin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

I bought a bottle of syruped cola nut extract and mixed it with soda water. While a bit too sweet and a lot les carbonated it tasted similar in my opinion.
It was somewhat expensive though so it's not something I'd do often. I guess that's why it's not used when making cola anymore.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Return to “Food”