Africans in America buying poultry

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Velifer

Africans in America buying poultry

Postby Velifer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

I have a small truck farm, and I've recently begun to take orders for meat chickens. The advertisements for pre-orders have yielded some unusual phone calls. People with very heavy African accents have been calling, asking if they could pick out a live bird and have it processed while they watched. That's... strange to me. I'd ask them about why this is what they want (and I'm wondering about this as a market niche), but the language barrier is pretty steep (their English is passable but not good, and our accents make comprehension even more difficult). Besides, I feel like an uncultured idiot. But I can be an uncultured idiot here!

Is it a trust issue? Do you think these people are looking for Dhabīḥah Halal? (and so would they want to do the actual slaughter, since I'm not Muslim?) Is there anyone who can tell me a bit about culture and dietary choices and make some guesses about what area the customers are from? I would like to try to provide for this market as it might be the right niche for the farm, but I really am curious about this aside from any business motive. I'm interested in food and culture, and this is something new.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

justaman

Re: Africans in America buying poultry

Postby justaman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

Hmmm interesting question...

I would suggest contacting a local mosque and ask the Imam regarding this. There certainly is a big market for halal meats in certain parts of the world, and it is a niche market (but "guaranteed" market) in other parts. Just be aware that animal health regulations may have some requirements that conflict with halal killing (though halal is often excepted from such regulations).
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

Kizyr

Re: Africans in America buying poultry

Postby Kizyr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

Velifer wrote:Is it a trust issue? Do you think these people are looking for Dhabīḥah Halal? (and so would they want to do the actual slaughter, since I'm not Muslim?) Is there anyone who can tell me a bit about culture and dietary choices and make some guesses about what area the customers are from? I would like to try to provide for this market as it might be the right niche for the farm, but I really am curious about this aside from any business motive. I'm interested in food and culture, and this is something new.

It actually sounds like they're trying to get something slaughtered in zabihah halal manner, and they're having a difficult time explaining it. Based on personal experience, they're probably used to trying to explain what halal is to someone who has no idea, and just giving up after a while (which is why, if I don't want to get into a long-winded explanation, I just tell people I'm vegetarian). It's not an assumption that you don't understand, so much as being really used to other people not understanding what they mean.

My suggestion would first be to straight-out ask if they want the chickens slaughtered according to zabihah halal guidelines. If that's what they mean, then it sends a signal that you know what they're talking about and they don't have to go through all this auxiliary explanation (which will aid communication on both ends, not to mention it's likely to get you more business).

Second, it shouldn't matter whether or not you're Muslim. In the Southeast US, around Eid-ul-Adha, a lot of people contact Amish farms in the area for lamb--since (a) they're accommodating to requests to buy/slaughter/skin/take the meat in the same day, (b) the animals aren't raised using hormones or other methods that might contradict halal guidelines (so, "organic" back when it still had meaning)*, and (c) on account of (a), (b), and word of mouth, they actually have a ton of experience in it--they can skin and butcher a lamb in like 10 minutes.

* (b) isn't exact; there're still some different opinions on the matter.

Anyway, after you ask, if that's really what they want, then contacting an imam in the area should give you some guidance on what to do. In the end, it's likely to be win-win if it gets you more business that way. KF
~Kizyr

Return to “Food”