Hot Cross Buns

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Hot Cross Buns

Postby Jorpho » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

It's that time of year again! I rather enjoy hot cross buns, but I'm not sure I'm necessarily getting all that I can out of the experience. They're a bit too thick to stick in the toaster, and the alternative is microwaving them - but microwaving bread products never turns out a completely satisfactory product.

How do you enjoy hot cross buns? Perhaps there are things I could learn that could be applied to pastries in general.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Re: Hot Cross Buns

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:27 pm UTC

What my mother does to hot cross buns:

Slices them open, butters inside--and puts the in frying pan to brown. That might work for you.
Rice Puddin.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:56 am UTC

That is indeed interesting. Butter-side down, I presume?

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:59 am UTC

Yep. Butter side down.
Rice Puddin.

elrunethe2nd

Postby elrunethe2nd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:It's that time of year again! I rather enjoy hot cross buns, but I'm not sure I'm necessarily getting all that I can out of the experience. They're a bit too thick to stick in the toaster, and the alternative is microwaving them - but microwaving bread products never turns out a completely satisfactory product.

How do you enjoy hot cross buns? Perhaps there are things I could learn that could be applied to pastries in general.

I use a sandwich maker, just don't clip it shut or you get a hot cross pancake. That is cooler than it sounds, by the way.

justaman

Postby justaman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

I make my own. Much better than store bought varieties.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:13 am UTC

Frying is working out pretty well indeed. The only problem is the nuisance of having to clean the pan afterwards. (Does it work with muffins? Muffins tend to microwave pretty well, of course.)

I recently brought a batch of chocolate chip hot cross buns. I had never seen them before! I thought the small quantities of dried fruits were a defining feature.

justaman wrote:I make my own. Much better than store bought varieties.
Eh. Unless you eat them all at once, you still have to reheat them somehow again later.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:38 am UTC

I just microwave them for about 20 seconds, wrapped in a paper towel. They turn out fine. Chocolate chip hot cross buns are yummy! I usually get those or plain because I don't like dried fruit.

Raoul Duke

Postby Raoul Duke » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:20 am UTC

I usually slice them in two then toast and butter them. And chocolate hot cross buns are not hot cross buns.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

The oven's grill (broiler, I believe, in Americanese) works well for anything that won't fit in a toaster. Just remember to put the rack close to the element, not close the door (you can leave it open or wedge a wooden spoon in it) and keep a constant eye.

But I like them just like that! I rarely toast them. Although, while writing this, the thought of French toast (eggy bread) made from hot cross buns, occurred to me and is making me crave...
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Return to “Food”