Things to eat when you suddenly need calories

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nath

Re: Things to eat when you suddenly need calories

Postby Nath » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

Have you ever tasted butter? It's, well, not completely disgusting. Granted, I wouldn't want to eat it by the spoonful, but not because of the taste.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:37 pm UTC

my friend Catherine agrees. I've tried putting a small dab of butter on her lip. She acts annoyed for the first couple of licks, then the ears perk forward and she seems quite keen to finish cleaning herself off. (I've since figured out that I can spread a very small dab on a plate and let her lick that. She prefers that to the original delivery method.)

The Tour de France fellows probably do not enjoy the packets of shortening the way they would a nice piece of pie, but pie is hella hard to eat on a bicycle. Even when it's a short jaunt to the shops, rather than a 21-day marathon of pain and misery.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Axman

Postby Axman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

Sometimes they go nuts and mix honey into it.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:21 am UTC

My favorite food for a quick snack is peanut butter. Serve on bread, apples, or a spoon.
Just don't eat the spoon.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:14 am UTC

Butter is delicious.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

The problem with shortening is that it's made from hydrogenated oils. Yes, butter and shortening are both pretty much saturated fats; and yes, shortening is a vegetable product while butter is an animal product. Still, shortening's the one with the lion's share of trans fats. My understanding is that how quickly you burn the calories doesn't change the fact that trans fats are very unhealthy.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:09 pm UTC

...and then, the trans fat in butter may actually be good, too, unlike the hydrogenated stuff.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

I stopped listening to studies about if stuff is good for you or bad for you. It changes every 6 months.
Humanity really dosn't know that much about how we work.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I stopped listening to studies about if stuff is good for you or bad for you. It changes every 6 months.

Although I wouldn't use it as an excuse to maintain a poor diet, there is definitely some truth to this. Exhibit A: The low-fat craziness of the 80's/90's morphing into the low-carb craziness of the last 10 years.

I think Michael Pollan in "Defense of Food" is on the right track. Eat food. Real food. Not too much of it. Mostly Plants.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

Put it this way, one of my personal internet hero's (since I've never met him) rode his single speed mountain bike from Canada to New Mexico http://tourdivide.org/ eating, carrying all his own gear, eating Pop Tarts, Peanut M&Ms and the like.
http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2009/10/what-long-distance-cyclists-really-eat.html. I'm not going to advocate a diet based on gas station goodies for most people, but this does illustrate that sometimes it's the calories that are important.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:23 am UTC

Yes, for high endurance sports where your body is essentially a machine that needs lots of calories right now or you'll keel over---that might be something that could work for some people.

For someone who is studying (as opposed to riding a bike for 100s of kilometres) however, there are healthier alternatives.
Rice Puddin.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:48 am UTC

Decker wrote:I stopped listening to studies about if stuff is good for you or bad for you. It changes every 6 months.
In this case, it's pretty much that butter (less processed forms of coconut oil, too), being mostly saturated fat, got lumped in with hydrogenated oils, which have nothing going for them. Not that you should be putting half a stick of butter on a bagel and downing it, especially when the scenario is being sedentary (fat as food->digestive magic->more fat on your body), but it's far from something to eat due to hating yourself.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:54 am UTC

I've actually read that the fats in butter help slow the insulin spiking action of high GI foods. Not really sure if it's true or not, but it's interesting, especially since I try to follow a fairly low GI diet.

Another thing that the OP might try if she has access to a microwave: poke some holes in a white potato or a sweet potato, and in 5 minutes, you'll have a delicious baked potato that you can spread with butter, olive oil, or hummus, or cover with cheese and/or raw mushrooms and/or broccoli, etc.

genderideals

Postby genderideals » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:26 am UTC

Eat some granola bars. There are normally some on sale at the grocery stores around here, and they come in a wide array of flavors. Some of them are full of "bad" things, like excessive refined sugar, but you can probably find a few kinds you like that have the good stuff in them. They're calorically dense, because they're normally packed full of nuts/honey/chocolate/etc.

Eat oatmeal! I love oatmeal. I pretty much live off of oatmeal! You can mix in all sorts of stuff, e.g. nuts, fresh fruit, dried fruit, honey, milk. Go for the stuff in the canister instead of the packets. The packets are pre-sweetened and salted and the oats are cut finer, which apparently isn't as good for you, or so I've heard. The ~experts~ really tell you to go for steel-cut oats, but I've always preferred the texture of Old-Fashioned.

If you're really nuts for calories, drink Ensure or some similar beverage. I've never actually had it, but I've heard it's pretty good. It comes in a bunch of different types and flavors for whatever you need, e.g. extra calcium, extra protein, extra calories. It is crazy expensive though, at least around here.

If you feel like you're not eating enough or not eating well enough, you should definitely take a multivitamin. Even if you're consuming enough calories to stay at the same weight, you could still suffer from vitamin deficiencies, which can lead to severe health problems.

GyRo567

Postby GyRo567 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 am UTC

I am a veggie, math major, male (of 6'2" 144 lbs.---near the same threshold of thinness as you), and am away from home 12 hours a day, four-five days a week, usually with a surplus of coffee and my maths! I've managed to maintain stable weight for a full year in this same routine with pristine health. My doctor told me my blood tests were the easiest to evaluate of any he'd seen this year.

So when I say I've got good advice for pure mathematician vegetarians, I mean business! :D

Breakfast always consists of oatmeal (go for the cheap plain stuff in the cylinders) made with spices & organic whole milk. (It's a taste thing, but I imagine there's probably higher nutritional content coming from cows that aren't overworked, just like with eggs) Mix in ground flaxseed if you're working on your omega-3's with the veggie diet. I usually don't, but I get them elsewhere in sufficient quantity.

Then it's off to campus for classes & the community college campus for work. The quest of the day (apart from the discovery of new mathematics!) becomes finding ways to fit in foodstuffs as efficiently as possible. Packed in bag:
-Granola/nut trail mix (I am of the firm belief that while coffee may be sufficient stimulation for turning out theorems, a satisfied stomach supplements style, so snacking is always beneficial)
-Banas. Or Banananas. Or... Well, whatever they are, they're the very best energy fruit, and pack a whole lot of nutrition in a dense little package. They're also easy to travel with.
-Frappuccino, and not just because you never know when the nearest coffeehouse just isn't close enough---It also has milk, which includes an extra nutritional boost alongside that yummy caffeine! (Also, water is easy to find on the go---milk is not)

On days that I eat lunch (which is more often than not when gone for pretty much everything except breakfast, supper, & sleep) I have the benefit of living in Austin, TX, so almost everything is veggie friendly. Sub shops that stock fake meat sammiches, and breakfast places with eggs, are always the most efficient way to quickly double up on the daily protein intake. If you have anything equivalent to either of those options near your college, I strongly recommend it. The breakfast places also have coffee, so if you're thinking about a proof while munching away...

Upon arrival back at home for the night, I usually don't have too much time before sleep (this post is an anomaly of abnormal sleep impediment due to the recent break's skewing of schedule...), so it's generally either quinoa, potentially with more milk, or a hummus sammich on a complete protein bread. If you find the right kind of bread, it's surprisingly protein-rich. I can get 20g out of just the bread.

Depending on the week, I usually average 70-90g protein for $8-10 per day, with all the other nutritional necessities covered as well. And the proofs haven't been upset yet. :]
I came here to read a cool post, a witty dialogue, a fresh joke, but stumbled upon a "bump"...
Way to go, jerk...
~CordlessPen

Return to “Food”