Celebrity Cooks that you Enjoy Copying

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

voidPtr

Celebrity Cooks that you Enjoy Copying

Postby voidPtr » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

I'll go first..I'm a fanboy of Jamie Oliver. :oops:

Bourdain may have the style, Ramsey may have the talen but when it comes to the actual cooking, I love Oliver's recipes (because they work for me and what I'm capable of doing.)

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Celebrity Cooks that you Enjoy Copying

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

The Sainted Julia, Jacques Torres, and a few others known in professional circles but not yet (thankfully) on TV.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

I think Jamie Oliver is a great chef to emulate. Simple and tasty. I learned to cook partly from him, and now find Delia (for example) much too fiddly.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

I like following the recipes of Nigella Lawson, for amazingly yummy and decadent cakes. That woman knows how to bake a good cake.
i dare you to take me on...

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:29 pm UTC

I try to channel an attitude that's a half-and-half mix of Gordon Ramsay and Rachael Ray; as for techniques, I consider myself a member of the Patinkin school.

I make a mean (but quite perky) Der Patty Melt.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:58 pm UTC

I like Jamie Oliver recipes too, and I also like Nigella--she doesn't fuss but her food is really good. I also like to watch Alton Brown, though half the time I think he's bonkers (he's in the no stuffing in the turkey crowd and I cannot abide that).
Rice Puddin.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:11 pm UTC

He's been out of the spotlight for a few years now but James Barber has some fantastic cookbooks and I used to love his show (The Urban Peasant). His recipes are consistantly tasty and in his cookbooks they're written in a very practical fasion, with the kind of information you always want but don't often have (Can I substitute x? what if I don't have y?).
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

As far as celebrity cooks that I enjoy watching, hands-down favorite: Martin Yan. He recently did a guest appearance on Emeril that was kind of hilarious based on the difference between their two personalities. And the prep guys gave Martin this huge piece of meat (or fish, I forget) and gave Emeril this little dinky fillet. Ho ho ho!
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:49 pm UTC

Oh! Yes I like Martin Yan too, he had a show called China Towns that was lots of fun to watch, I also used to watch Urban Peasant--I liked how vague the recipes were (if you don't have this--use this...or this...or that other thing). The number of times he injured himself while cooking was alarming/comedic.
Rice Puddin.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:I like Jamie Oliver recipes too, and I also like Nigella--she doesn't fuss but her food is really good. I also like to watch Alton Brown, though half the time I think he's bonkers (he's in the no stuffing in the turkey crowd and I cannot abide that).

Good call on Nigella..she's kind of the British version of Rachael Ray, but at the same time, she's passionate and charismatic, so I enjoy watching her. I've never actually tried any of her recipes though so I can't say she's a celebrity cook that I enjoy copying. When lamb is in season, I may give her "Fantasy-Morroco" Spiced Lamb a go.

Blast

Postby Blast » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

voidPtr wrote:Good call on Nigella..she's kind of the British version of Rachael Ray, but at the same time, she's passionate and charismatic, so I enjoy watching her. I've never actually tried any of her recipes though so I can't say she's a celebrity cook that I enjoy copying. When lamb is in season, I may give her "Fantasy-Morroco" Spiced Lamb a go.

Nigella is also arguably the hottest celebrity chef, and when she's on NPR her sultry english accent is, uh...nevermind. Let's talk about food.

Alton Brown is my go to for accessible, prop driven explanations of the somewhat dense concepts in books like "On Food and Cooking." As far as food goes, I really enjoy Rick Bayless' recipes. If you want gourmet interpretations of Mexican cuisine, there's no one better. In fact, there may not be anyone else.
My name is Vadinho. I'm an onion.

EmilyR

Postby EmilyR » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

I'm another one who tends to stick to Jamie Oliver, though I often wish I could lean more towards Heston Blumenthal!

Ali *is* Nigella :) though she periodically wanders off in the direction of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall & shoots things.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:40 am UTC

I've delayed responding for awhile, because there were some names I didn't know (yes, PAstrychef, I'm staring at you), and I wanted to spend time getting some appreciation for them, first.

I've got to throw in another Jamie Oliver to the thread. When I was little kid, Justin Wilson was a god to me, but my cooking has morphed to being simple and easy, often improvised, with more of a focus on good ingredients than anything else. I also think his attempts to publicize how horribly wrong the direction of the developed western world's food culture has gone has been more beneficial than harmful.

For someone I wish I could emulate even 1% of, there's Morimoto. I'd take poorly translated subtitles, if I could see a show a week of him, and his immaculate ability to layer flavors. Every time I've tried, even imperfectly, making something similar, it's been awesome; and, seeing him doing just about anything makes me want to run out to the grocery store.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:I think Jamie Oliver is a great chef to emulate. Simple and tasty. I learned to cook partly from him, and now find Delia (for example) much too fiddly.

My thoughts exactly. Jamie Oliver is bloody brilliant - all about flavour and texture and bugger all about technique. I can do that. Ask me to make a soufflé though and I'm gonna screw it up.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

For sheer geekiness if nothing else, Alton Brown.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

I enjoy copying Heston Blumenthal- in my wildest dreams.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

jschulter

Postby jschulter » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:48 am UTC

I definitely have to go with Alton Brown: the generalized methods he presents have done me far more good than any recipe I've ever read. In fact, the only reason I read recipes anymore (excluding baking of course, they're important then) is to get some ideas on new flavor/ingredient combinations.

i.t.homp

Postby i.t.homp » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:47 am UTC

I without a doubt will have to say Jamie Oliver, but also, Michael Smith. I started cooking when I was 8 or so, after watching my dad. By the time I was 14, I'd watch Mike Smith on Chef at Home, which inspired me to cook without recipes. Now, I just go into the kitchen and look around and create things. I'm 19 now, and I find Jamie's technique, and the way he presents everything is just brilliant. Incomparable. Quick, simple things (mind you, I don't have a huge bloody garden and a million quaint little ovens strewn around my property) that can be prepared anytime. The rustic feeling of everything he cooks is my main inspiration when I create in my kitchen. "Give it a rough chop," "Mash it 'round a bit, leave some chunks," and "Just bang your knife about a bit" give any meal amazing textures and flavours. Cheers to Jamie.

Also, hats off to OP for this topic.
I've broken all your spatulas, because I knew no-one would admit themselves!

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:39 am UTC

Alton Brown and Giada deLaurentis. Ina Garten has great recipes, but I can't watch her show because she annoys me.

Coin

Postby Coin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:37 pm UTC

I'm also a fan of Jamie Oliver; He's taught me many valuable things about cooking.
The best thing I've learned from him is to take a ladle of water from the pot, when cooking pasta, and putting it in the sauce that's going with it (roughly half way through the cooking process is usually right in my experience). It helps thicken the sauce and enhances the flavours.

Although I find Blumenthals cooking incredibly exciting I don't tend to copy what he does purely because it's beyond my means. I don't have the same equipment that he's got nor access to some of the wierd and wonderful ingredients that he has.

Another man from whom I've learned a lot is Ainsley Harriott. While often making quite simple dishes he always seems to find ways to add a bit of flare as well as exciting and delicious flavours.

Finally, a man well worth mentioning is Keith Floyd. He's been a great inspiration to me with his near constant exploration of the world of cuisine, appearing in the most odd places to learn about the local cooking traditions. I often try to copy his cooking style, though perhaps with a tad less alchohol in the process...
I'm sad that he's no longer with us :(
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Return to “Food”