Taste Tripping Foods

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Quigibo

Taste Tripping Foods

Postby Quigibo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:57 am UTC

Hi everyone! I ordered some miracle berries and I'm thinking of throwing a "taste tripping party" possibly for new years or maybe at a different time. For those of you who have no clue what I'm talking about: Wikipedia article. It basically alters your taste buds to make a really unique tasting experience.

My question is, what foods would you suggest? I've never tried it before, has anyone had experience first hand? I hear sour foods and citrus fruits taste really sweet so I'll probably have some lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruit. Also I hear balsamic vinegar tastes like chocolate. I want to get the most out of these berries so I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!
A programmer's last program: Goodbye World!

Dimetrodon

Re: Taste Tripping Foods

Postby Dimetrodon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 am UTC

Everything you'll find at http://www.cupcakeproject.com/search/label/miracle%20fruit seems like a pretty good start.
:) Best of luck! Tell us how it goes!
Spoiler:

Fear my mammalian skull, my efficient heat-regulating sail, and my two rows of teeth.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

I tried it, and found it really over-hyped. Actually, my reaction was much like that of the Cupcake Project. It doesn't do anything magic, just kinda switches your perception of sour things. It doesn't do anything else, so (if you haven't already had your party) stick to acidic things. Lemons, grapefruit, vinegar, that kinda stuff. My favourite was citric acid powder. I had some in the house for canning, and I took a spoonful. It still hurt just as much as you would expect, but it did taste delicious.

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

I threw a taste tripping party myself, and found the results interesting but overhyped.

I would recommend giving everyone a small shot glass of lime juice (the kind they sell in the little plastic limes), have them taste it, then take the tablets, and then finish the shot. It's best to get a before-and-after comparison. I found lime juice to be the best at giving a contrast, it is nearly undrinkably sour before the tablet, but absolutely delicious after.

Warning: Don't drink too much lime juice or your stomach will start a rebellion.

If your taste tripping party is including alcohol, I recommend mixing long island iced teas, with extra sweet and sour.
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:56 am UTC

I've tried miracle berry tablets twice and had barely any luck with them, I've been really disappointed. My advice would be to try eating the juiciest things last - one wedge of a particularly juicy (and absolutely delicious) grapefruit was enough for me to lose the sensation for everything I tried thereafter and that is what we put it down to. For the same reason, I'd probably go with the things that are the most difficult to eat normally (like lemon) first, before the effect starts to weaken. You might have better luck with the actual miracle berries, too, rather than the tablets, so this might all be irrelevant :P

Oh, and soy sauce is a little bit gross.

Laika

Postby Laika » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

I bought some Miracle Berries from ThinkGeek a while ago, and I remember orange juice and grapefruit tasting the best out of all the things I tried. I could probably have eaten a dozen grapefruits; so delicious!

Xami

Postby Xami » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:42 pm UTC

Is it the same idea as brushing your teeth and orange juice tasting awful for a little while?

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

Xami wrote:Is it the same idea as brushing your teeth and orange juice tasting awful for a little while?

Apparently, Sodium lauryl sulfate, an ingredient in almost every toothpaste available, temporarily suppresses your sweet receptors and destroys phospholipids which inhibit your bitter receptors, thereby reducing orange juice's perceived sweetness and raising its perceived bitterness, causing it to taste terrible.

Miracle berries, as far as I am aware (and according to wiki, this is not confirmed but merely a hypothesis), act by modifying the shape of the sweet receptor so that sour foods can activate them - tricking your receptors to make the sour food taste sweet.

So yes, I would say it is pretty much the same, if by "same", you mean "same method of action, altering perceived taste by modifying taste receptors" - though it appears there are differences in the ways they act.

However, I am not an expert on this subject.
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

Return to “Food”