PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Broccoli

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:56 pm UTC

Scrambles, the death dealer wrote:boil broccoli
remove broccoli from water
blend broccoli into paste
add just enough boil water back so it's soup consistence

tastes good, but is missing something. can't for the life of me figure out what it is; needs zazz in some form.

Well, most things taste better with some salt-despite what NY legislators think. I would start by chopping an onion and sweating it with your broc in a bit of butter or olive oil before adding the water. Using chicken stock will give you a better texture, because of the gelatin and more flavor for obvious reasons, but it's not necessary. A bit of fat helps a lot too-dairy if you like.
I like to add some cumin to things, or a bit of garam masala. Some white wine at the beginning is also nice, but gets away from the basic soup format. And don't cook the broc too much-it just needs to be soft.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:59 pm UTC

Appparently, cruciferous vegetables like broccoli increase testosterone production.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:While we're on this subject, what's up with palak vs. saag? Same word, different dialect? Or different words used for the same dish? I know what the dish is called depends on the region you're in, but not why the variance...

Spinach vs greens, I believe. Saag is a more general term.

Incidentally, these words are used when spinach/greens are used in other dishes, as well (e.g. palak dal).

Gypped

Postby Gypped » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:37 am UTC

I usually have steamed broccoli with lemon juice squeezed on top or in a stir fry. I like when they're firm - not to the point of being mush. Although I enjoy broccoli prepared in those ways, I cannot stand broccoli soup.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

Is brocolli really bitter? I never had tasted a bitter brocolli.
As a child I was fascinated by these, they're friggin small trees and I wanna plant them.

Cauliflower for me is still better. It's like eating corals.

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:Is brocolli really bitter? I never had tasted a bitter brocolli.

My dad once told me that the reason kids generally don't like broccoli is because they're more sensitive to bitter things. This almost sounds reasonable, except for the part where, yeah, broccoli's not bitter unless you're doing it really wrong.

I'm a big fan of really thick, intensely cheesy broccoli soup, but every time I make it I get it juuuust a little too hot and the milk starts to curdle.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Tue May 11, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

electronic mily wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:Is brocolli really bitter? I never had tasted a bitter brocolli.

My dad once told me that the reason kids generally don't like broccoli is because they're more sensitive to bitter things. This almost sounds reasonable, except for the part where, yeah, broccoli's not bitter unless you're doing it really wrong.

Maybe not to a foodie, but to the average person, I would say broccoli is a *slightly* bitter vegetable. It's certainly more bitter than a sweet vegetable like carrots, and it would be compounded by more intense childhood taste buds. However, I think the real reason most kids who don't like broccoli is because they are not exposed to it or other different vegetables enough, or they're given too much choice, in which case they'll go towards the sweet and salty.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed May 12, 2010 2:14 am UTC

I never had a problem with broccoli. Hell, I didn't even have a problem with Brussels sprouts. I blame my mom, who was an awesome cook (and probably used a lot of butter when we were small, before the health craze of the mid-'70s). I did have a problem with microwaved frozen spinach, but I maintain that it's nasty shit, no matter how much butter or milk you add.

Mom's secret for non-ass Brussels sprouts: make an X in the stem end with a sharp knife so that the bitter core gets softened while boiling. Of course, I don't boil my veggies since we've invented microwaves, but I never nuke whole sprouts. I chop them into quarters or eighths, or make that X thing if they're going into a stew or casserole whole for some reason.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed May 12, 2010 2:49 am UTC

Have you ever tried broccoli sprouts? I've never been able to find them, but perhaps I have not been looking in the right places. They're supposed to have sensational health benefits.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed May 12, 2010 3:01 am UTC

I'm kind of afraid to, for assorted reasons that have to do with an allergy syndrome. (I seem to react to anything young, green, fresh, and not broccoli. I don't want my body to associated young/green/fresh with broccoli in case I end up losing a last-resort staple of my diet. >.<)
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

gmuir

Postby gmuir » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:43 am UTC

I love broccoli its one of my favorite foods to eat, have you tried it raw, also very nice, but i love it as a quick stir fry with chilli paste, broccoli is very good for your immune system, it is a very high alkaline food, which helps to cleanse your body, i always feel better after eating broccoli, a good bowl can help fight the common cold, yum yum

consolidating

Postby consolidating » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:48 am UTC

Suer...Broccoli is incredible nutricious , so I love it very much , especially served with steak and pasta nyam.. nyam

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:01 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Jorpho wrote:Broccoli is indeed pretty good, but I really can't stand the stems. This leads to a perplexing dilemma: is it better to buy the broccoli bunches with the big long stems that will get cut off and thrown in the compost, or is it better to buy the "broccoli crowns" with much shorter stems?

Buy the whole bunches, and use the stems for something else. They may need to be peeled a bit as you would a potato. Julienne or slice them and throw them in stir-fry; they are much easier to deal with in small bits, and at that size they get soft in about the same time as the same-sized slice of carrot.
This just doesn't seem to be working. In my latest attempt I peeled them and sliced them crosswise before throwing them in a frying pan at medium heat for about ten minutes. They still taste pretty bad.

voidPtr

Postby voidPtr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:28 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:This just doesn't seem to be working. In my latest attempt I peeled them and sliced them crosswise before throwing them in a frying pan at medium heat for about ten minutes. They still taste pretty bad.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by peeling, but I discard the dried tough bottom part and use the rest of the stalk. If you don't like it, you don't like, but here's another idea, if you make your own soup stock (way better than storebought!), throw them in the freezer with the rest of the bits and bobs of veggie off-cuts and use them in that.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:50 am UTC

Oh what an exciting thread! Broccoli is wondiferous.

Just last night, the bf and I made homemade veggie tempura. In the backyard. With a portable plug-in deep fryer. And we had homemade broccoli tempura and it was orgasmic.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:45 am UTC

I didn't even know it was possible to tempura broccoli. It makes me wonder about the limitations of that preparation method.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:54 am UTC

I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned, but some people are simple genetically predisposed to dislike broccoli.

I personally love it, but it's one of those things that I never think to pick up at the grocery store.
I don't know what to do for you

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

I can take it or leave it. I'll eat it steamed, mixed into a stir fry, or raw with ranch dressing, but it's not something I normally go out and buy for myself.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

blackfuse81

Postby blackfuse81 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:41 am UTC

I like broccoli steamed the best.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

I found this online a while back: Grind pistachios, mix with butter, toss cooked broccoli in pistachio-butter.

Don't use too much butter or it will be too buttery.

Return to “Food”