No votes
Other
8%

Total votes: 88

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Favorite Cuisine?

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sat May 19, 2007 2:14 am UTC

With the Thai thread, and the peanut butter threads, I figure it's time for your favorite cuisine thread! I realize that there are too many types of cuisines to list, but simply mark down a type and then tell exactly, or forget the poll altogether and choose one.

That said, Chinese. Because China did have the first noodles, and you really can't go wrong with noodles.

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Sat May 19, 2007 2:24 am UTC

I favor Japanese over Chinese. But hell, I love both.

Greek food is awesome, as is Ethiopian and Mexican.

I've only ever had Americanized Italian food, so I'd love to find out what it's really like in Italy. Someday, perhaps.

And honestly? I have never had real Thai food. I'll remedy that at some point. Tapas are also on my list of "must try this."
Turn your scars into stars.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sat May 19, 2007 2:31 am UTC

Thai food is spicy, I don't know compared to Mexican because we have no decent Mexican restaurants here. But it's certainly good. If you're up the the challenge, order some Jungle curry if you get the chance, otherwise play it safe and get some Panang/Peanut Curry. But Teppanyaki... I love to go to Teppanyaki restaurants, watch the chefs there. The best ones have real showmanship and cook fast as well, so much you almost wish he never ended.

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Sat May 19, 2007 2:35 am UTC

Japanese and Thai are my favorites; I can't decide between the two.

Health and nutrition issues aside, I could live the rest of my life off of either sushi or chicken sate.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Sat May 19, 2007 2:48 am UTC

I enjoy mexican... for the tacos and burritos and the always amazing nachos.

But I also enjoy indian curries... yummm

oh, and thai curries! I hold indian curries and thai curries in very high esteem and couldnt ever pick one that I like more even though they both have very different flavours.

I also love italian food mmmm my godmum is italian and I remember making home made pasta with her years ago, god that was amazing pasta. yummm creamy sauces on home made pasta are so good. But I love my dads bolognaise aswell.. and my mums lasagna. I dont know how authentic their dishes are though. Anyway..

my vote goes for Mexican, Indian, Thai and Italian.. in no order really.

oh, and just recently me and my boy discovered a great noodle place which I think im falling in love with.. Ive never really been a noodle person but I think im becoming one. The chinese style noodle is great. Im not sure how authentic it is though. Prolly not very authentic really.. but yeah.. noodles aswell... hokkein I think the ones I like are.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat May 19, 2007 3:11 am UTC

thai, indian, turkish, italian... maybe a few others... that doesn't fit into any one category i'm fairly sure.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Sat May 19, 2007 3:49 am UTC

Anmorata wrote:I've only ever had Americanized Italian food, so I'd love to find out what it's really like in Italy. Someday, perhaps.

One thing I found interesting when I went there was that they don't cut the pizzas. Much fun when we discovered that for the first time. Everyone spending a moment trying to sleuth out the best way to attack the pizza.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat May 19, 2007 3:50 am UTC

Any food that tastes good.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

DonChubby

Postby DonChubby » Sat May 19, 2007 3:52 am UTC

I'll eat just about anything. I really have no favorite, as long as it tastes good, I'll eat it.
Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason?
For if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
CreemyNougat wrote:It was the saddest orgasm ever.

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Sat May 19, 2007 7:03 am UTC

I'm voting Mediterranean; I like what I've experienced so far. On Tuesday, I leave for six weeks in Spain, so I'll quickly put that to the test.
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat May 19, 2007 7:08 am UTC

I can't vote on just one. I've had south african, that was delicious. I love Thai and Chinese and Japanese and Indian. Mexican of all stripes. Greek makes my toes curl. I will kill babies for some good hummus, so middle eastern is there too.

And then, sometimes, I just want a burger.

Really, all I can say is that I hated the food in London.

Dear London: Please stop boiling things. It is the optimal way to cook a very short list of things, and most of the things I ate were not on it.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Sat May 19, 2007 11:20 am UTC

I also cannot vote for just one.

Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian and other Asian foods = yum. I'm about to have some Thai food now.

Caribbean food = yum. Bun n' cheese, ackee and saltfish with fried dumplings or harddough bread, oxtail, curry goat, rice and "peas", fried plantain, ginups (scroll down to turn off the horrible audio), Ting! soda and other delicious Jamaican fare that I grew up with. Cuban sandwiches are made of win.

Mexican = yum. Seriously, beans, cheese, rice, meats, tortillas, and a variety of tasty sauces and toppings in seemingly never-ending combinations. How is that not awesome? And let's not forget the margaritas...

Italian = yum. Pasta is one of the staples of my life.

Middle Eastern and Mediterranean = yum. Hummus, pita, lamb, falafel, b'stilla, feta, etc.

Ethiopian = yum. Most of my old co-workers were from there and they'd always make me eat some of their food. Kay watt is great.

American = yum. Good ol' burgers, chili, barbeque, and all that jive.

And the list goes on...
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat May 19, 2007 11:33 am UTC

Belial wrote:I can't vote on just one. I've had south africans, they were delicious. I love Thais and Chinese and Japanese and Indians. Mexicans of all stripes. Greeks make my toes curl. I will kill babies for their still warm flesh.

Fixed for raptorness.

pete

Postby pete » Sat May 19, 2007 12:24 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I've had south african, that was delicious.

Can you remember what you had? No idea what would make our food very different to yours, besides boerewors maybe.

Can't vote on this either, unless I get to change my vote on a daily basis.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat May 19, 2007 1:15 pm UTC

My top three are Thai, Indian and Tibetan. My city so very wins for having two Tibetan restaurants in easy walking distance of my house.

I've learned to cook acceptable Indian food myself by now (though I wish I could do a better palak paneer), so I don't go out to eat that as often, but we have dal and anda masala at my place all the blammed time...

I just wish I lived near a Thai restaurant I *liked*.

The funny thing, and I've wondered for a while if other people find this as well, is that while I've had Thai and Mexican dishes of roughly commensurate heat, I apparently cannot deal with habaneros and jalapenos at all, while thai chiles don't bother me.

Anyone else get that? Champ at downing stuff hot enough to burn through your table in one cuisine, horribly mewling kittens with another cuisine?
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat May 19, 2007 1:16 pm UTC

Fish 'n' chips.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat May 19, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

American embodies all the others. Though in new, different, more corporate ways.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat May 19, 2007 3:08 pm UTC

Marathon Platter. :)

Two lamb chops, one chicken souvlaki skewer, one beef souvlaki skewer, a small pile of calamaria, all served on greek potatoes, greek rice, and greek salad, with bread and tzatziki.

Excuse me, I have to go die of delicious now.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Sat May 19, 2007 3:16 pm UTC

Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese for me.

i like that stuff so much i always have a bottle of Thai Sriracha. (not the stuff, by the same name, you can buy at Wal-mart or Kroger) Also fish sauce.

Thai food, by my experience, tends to be hotter than Mexican food.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sat May 19, 2007 6:46 pm UTC

They both use Jalapeños... Maybe somewhere in the cooking process, your got less/more on one dish?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat May 19, 2007 7:01 pm UTC

Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Italian and Mexican were all a CLOSE tie for second.

peter

Postby peter » Sat May 19, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

Mediterranean food. Italian, Greek.. can't go wrong with those.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat May 19, 2007 8:02 pm UTC

Can you remember what you had? No idea what would make our food very different to yours, besides boerewors maybe.

I cannot, for the life of me, remember what the entree was, but the appetizer was some sort of delicious buttered mussel based thing. It was tasty. It's some restaurant in Charlottesville, I wouldn't be surprised if they were making half of their dishes up. I just remember that it was good.

Caribbean food = yum.

Y'know, there are, like, four Caribbean restaurants around here, and I've never had anything from any of them? I really should try it one of these days.

They/them

Gazette

Postby Gazette » Sat May 19, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

Japanese food for me, even if some are a bit expensive.

Italian food is also great.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Sat May 19, 2007 10:28 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Y'know, there are, like, four Caribbean restaurants around here, and I've never had anything from any of them? I really should try it one of these days.

Go!

Edit: And how could I forget the patties? 1, 2. I'm weird and like to put ketchup on 'em. And jerk...everything. Especially pork and chicken. Rahtid! September won't come soon enough. I might have to look up one of the few Caribbean joints in Portland before then, but as good as it might be I doubt it'll be the same as what I get in South Florida or Jamaica itself. Another thing you'll find in either of those places (and probably New York) is the wonderful mash-up created by Chinese Jamaicans (yep, they exist.)
Last edited by Jauss on Sat May 19, 2007 10:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat May 19, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

What do you suggest?

They/them

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Sat May 19, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

Belial wrote:What do you suggest?

Ha, you replied while I was editing.

Um...pretty much all of the things I was waxing nostalgic about. :) Patties (usually made with beef), jerk chicken and/or pork, oxtail or curry goat, often server with rice and peas (which are really beans). If you're a bit more adventurous and like fish, try the ackee and saltfish. Ackee has this unique yet bland flavor, but mixed with the fish and various seasonings it's pretty awesome. I didn't really like it when I was younger (I'd just pick the fish out), but eventually I started eating it and now I love it. You might like it right off the bat though, most of my friends did when I made it for them.

Edit: Also, if they have them, try any fruit you've never had before. There's a lot of fruits in the islands that they don't here (or are at least are hard to find). Ginips, nesberries, soursop, breadfruit, sorrel, custard apple, otaheite apple, cho cho, etc.

Oh, and grapenut ice cream.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat May 19, 2007 11:45 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:They both use Jalapeños... Maybe somewhere in the cooking process, your got less/more on one dish?

Erm... are you saying this of both Thai food and Mexican food?

If so, I never, ever want to eat in whatever Thai place you're frequenting.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sun May 20, 2007 12:10 am UTC

Sandry wrote:The funny thing, and I've wondered for a while if other people find this as well, is that while I've had Thai and Mexican dishes of roughly commensurate heat, I apparently cannot deal with habaneros and jalapenos at all, while thai chiles don't bother me.

Anyone else get that? Champ at downing stuff hot enough to burn through your table in one cuisine, horribly mewling kittens with another cuisine?

Yeah, I find chili spicy is fine, but I can't stand peppery spicy...

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon May 21, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

The Thai restaurant I used to work at used to order Jalapenos all the time. We ordered others as well, but I remember seeing Jalapenos spelled oddly before working it out.... Odd that lots of people like East Asian food more than anything else on these forums. Maybe Battlefield: Earth was right?

Anmorata
The Doll's House

Postby Anmorata » Mon May 21, 2007 8:10 pm UTC

This thread is making me hungry. :|
Turn your scars into stars.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon May 21, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

in response to archangel: well east asian foods run the gamut.

where as other cuisines tend to be one style or another, there are so many variants in the east asian category, they'd need to be a category all their own.

indian food is nothing like thai food, thai food is nothing like vietnamese food, vietnamese is nothing like japanese, so on and so forth.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon May 21, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Marathon Platter. :)

Two lamb chops, one chicken souvlaki skewer, one beef souvlaki skewer, a small pile of calamaria, all served on greek potatoes, greek rice, and greek salad, with bread and tzatziki.

Excuse me, I have to go die of delicious now.

You are reminding me of why I'm thrilled my church festival is next week.

EDIT: to clarify--greek orthodox church festival=food paradise. I greatly enjoy greek and italian food.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon May 21, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

Thai, thai, thai, thai, thai!

I love the savory dishes of Thai food, but I also like the sweeter stuff, like mango & sticky rice. I love coconut milk and spicy spices. I love it!!!! )I'm so hungry right now I can barely make coherent sentences.)
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Mon May 21, 2007 9:15 pm UTC

Anmorata wrote:I favor Japanese over Chinese...

I've only ever had Americanized Italian food, ...

I voted "East Asian", but then I realized that I only like cantonese food, or at least Americanized "Chinese" food. Between that and fried anything, I should have picked "American".

...which denotes the continent.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Tue May 22, 2007 1:22 am UTC

I voted East Asian because I love vietnamese food. However, Mediterranean (especially greek octopus) comes in at a close second.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Nobo

Postby Nobo » Thu May 24, 2007 4:55 am UTC

RealGrouchy wrote:I voted "East Asian", but then I realized that I only like cantonese food, or at least Americanized "Chinese" food.

This is true of me, although I think I prefer Thai noodles even more. Sadly, I have no idea what people in China or Thailand actually eat on a daily basis. Italian cuisine is also nice, and Middle Eastern gets a small mention because I enjoy hummus.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu May 24, 2007 4:58 am UTC

Restaurant food is party food, so they usually eat something much simpler, mainly rice and vegetables, simple meat. Or so I'm told.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Really, all I can say is that I hated the food in London.

WHAT?

When were you in London, and what did you eat? There's plenty of good food here! London has people from all over the world, and consequently food from all over the world.

Since moving here, I have had so much food that I'd never seen before. One of them was from a country I didn't know existed - Eritrea.

I think the days of England being a country of poor food are gone. Of course you can find crap here, but that's true of everywhere. Granted if I had to live on salt beef bagels I would probably go insane - that's boiled beef that is rubbish if not done perfectly.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:05 pm UTC

The only really good food I had while in London was an apple turnover from a pastry shop and a curry lunch thing from this Polish cafe right near the Mornington Crescent tube station. I got fish and chips once, must have been a bad place because it was obscenely greasy and not very flavorful. I also had pretty decent indian takeout from one place. I might have found some better food if I hadn't had no budget for my trip, but ehhh... If you're going to spend a lot of money you can find good food in just about any major city. Still, London food in my memory will always be a million Subways (I HATE Subway), a million generic kebab places, an inexplicable number of fried chicken places, and a depressing lack of Italian or Mexican places.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Return to “Food”