Today I Made:

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nath

Re: Today I Made:

Postby Nath » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:22 am UTC

Salmon and leek red curry. Tasted it while cooking; quite nice. Haven't eaten it yet because I have apparently forgotten how to make rice; my foolproof method has failed me (which is what happens when you take shortcuts, kids). Salvage efforts underway.

EDIT: Mm.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:53 am UTC

'Sagacious pork'. That's what I'm calling it. The recipe is adapted from a recipe adapted from the classic Italian milk-braised pork dish. My version:
Spoiler:
  • Fry a few sage leaves in butter till crispy.
  • Remove them. Fry shallots in that butter.
  • Garlic. Give it a minute. Add seasoned pork chunks. Brown.
  • Add chicken stock. Simmer and thicken.
  • When thickened, add Greek yogurt and more sage, chopped. Simmer more.
  • Serve on polenta, topped with lots of black pepper and those crispy sage leaves.

roband

Postby roband » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:58 am UTC

Today I'm cooking with a Hungarian edge.

Pork Goulash and stuffed peppers and rizi pizi (rice and peas :( ). Feeding 8 whilst also being on call for IT support. It's fun, will update later when it all fails disastrously ;)

edit: IT WENT WELL. The stuffed peppers were a bit bland, but the pork was very good.

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

Making a chicken galantine stuffed with spinach and blue cheese. Roasting red potatoes in the chicken drippings and Brussels sprouts in olive oil.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:35 am UTC

Did you bone out a whole bird? That's a fun afternoon's work.
I made salmon and broccoli and fried potatoes. Nice, simple, tasty dinner.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:38 am UTC

Apple-basil strata for a baby shower brunch.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:39 am UTC

Have I mentioned how awesome it is to have a stove again? I made a very passable masoor daal and a pretty wimpy chicken saag. Too much spinach without increasing the rest of the recipe. All in all, though, awesome.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

Made some leek risotto, because I had half a leek and some leftover sagacious pork that wanted a starchy side. Used the shortcut recipe from Serious Eats, with good results.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:48 am UTC

Yesterday I started a new batch of beer, so today I made Spent-Grain Banana Muffins, using this recipe. The grains were a mix of black patent, chocolate, and flaked barley. Turned out pretty awesome.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:44 am UTC

Ratatouille. Not the fancy-pants Pixar version, or the layered, baked Julia Child version. Just a simple ragout, topped with Kalamata olives and an omelet for a nice light dinner.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

A skillet roasted chicken(linky) with sage, lemon and garlic butter under the breast skin and Yukon gold potatoes underneath the bird as a rack.
Steamed broccoli was also eaten.
It's a great technique and you can used any kind of seasoning in the butter.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

roband

Postby roband » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:A skillet roasted chicken(linky) with sage, lemon and garlic butter under the breast skin and Yukon gold potatoes underneath the bird as a rack.
Steamed broccoli was also eaten.
It's a great technique and you can used any kind of seasoning in the butter.

That looks awesome. Is the skillet essential, or could it be done in a normal pan which is stove/oven safe?

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:32 am UTC

If it holds the chicken, and it can go from a burner to the oven, it should work just fine. A pot with tall sides will hold in a lot of moisture, which will make the skin less crispy.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 am UTC

Last night: a good, simple cheeseburger.

Tonight: a sloppy-joe-inspired sandwich: stewed ground beef with onions, garlic, bourbon, Anaheim peppers, tomatoes, sage, oregano, paprika, chili flakes, and just a couple of drops of liquid smoke. Threw in a bit of ketchup and Dijon mustard for the last few minutes of cooking. Butter-toasted bun, with a little grated cheddar.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:55 am UTC

What's with all the not cooking?

Tonight's dinner: tomato upside-down frittata with chicken sausage, serrano peppers, and leftover fries. Cooked with tomatoes and the bottom and Parmesan on top, and then flipped for just long enough for the Pamesan to crustify slightly. I was concerned about the tomatoes making things soggy, but it worked perfectly, though with less browning than a typical frittata. Damn this is easy to do with a non-stick pan.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:10 am UTC

I'm not cooking because my only cooking appliance blew up.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:13 am UTC

Nath wrote:What's with all the not cooking?

I've been saving mine up!

On Tuesday, I made these:

http://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/curry/chi ... ork-chops/ Changes: I couldn't get tamarind in time. The internet told me "lime juice and pulverized dates/apricots" would do kinda the same job. I had lemon juice and apricots. It tasted GOOD, but probably not like it should have done.
http://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/curry/tan ... -marinade/ Changes: Didn't use flour, just marinated them in the spices and yoghurt. Cooked on a Foreman grill, rather than under the grill in the oven. Tasted amazing.
http://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/curry/but ... ato-gravy/ Changes: Pretty much none. Best part of the meal -flawless .
http://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/curry/kas ... el-ginger/ Changes: Didn't use the nuts or fennel, more of a guide than a recipe. The potatoes came out really well though.

Last night, I made Mexican shredded chicken enchiladas. Served with "spanish" rice, roasted sweet potatoes and lightly fried pepper/onion/tomato. It was nice, but the rice finished cooking early - so I had to reheat it, it ended up a bit cool.

I made some really tasty, looking at least, burritos with the leftovers - they're in the freezer now.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

When I work over eight hours, and the end of my day happened during dinner service at work, I eat there. But I did fry up a nice steak with mushrooms and onions the other night. This week is fall break, and I have three days off in a row. I plan to cook many tasty things during that period.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:12 am UTC

I'm alone in the house all week, eating sandwiches and cereal and leftovers. Not making more leftovers.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:23 am UTC

Two firsts: hot-smoked Coho salmon (with alder wood) and ugly but tasty gnocchi with brown butter, garlic and Parmesan. Salmon's a wee bit overcooked, but alder and salmon are an unfairly good combination. A challenging meal to put together in a cramped studio kitchen, though.

Smoking is good, kids.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

It ran into the wee hours of today, so I'll post anyway: Chili. 2lbs ground beef, 16 jalapenos, 8 habaneros, 16 serranos, store-bought chili powder, half a pound of dried black beans, rehydrated, half a large yellow onion, diced, 32 oz of beef broth, 1 can of tomato sauce, and time. Yum + burning.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:11 am UTC

Your intestines must be made of cast iron!

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

I made breakfast "muffins", cheese bread and chocolate chocolate chip cookies. So uh. Nothing particularly healthy. Sadly, this is the most I've cooked/baked in an age.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Pesto wrote:Making a chicken galantine stuffed with spinach and blue cheese. Roasting red potatoes in the chicken drippings and Brussels sprouts in olive oil.

Misread that as saying "chicken droppings".

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:41 am UTC

Pasta carbonara with charred Brussels sprouts. Too much pancetta, alas. I guess that I just prefer bacon.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:55 am UTC

Woke up in the middle of the night, made and ate Thai egg and squash stir fry, went back to bed for a few hours.

Dinner: hot sausage and smoked oyster gumbo.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Last night: Grilled tuna loin marinated in lemon, rosemary and garlic; grilled portobello cap stuffed with rosemary, bacon and mozzarella; green salad. And a cabernet sauvignon that was far sweeter than it probably should have been. I kind of dorked the meal up generally; mushroom soaked in too much of the marinade, and tuna was overcooked. But damn it's nice to have a proper dinner post-baby.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Massaman curry. I cut up a potato and a boneless chicken breast from some leftovers a few nights ago, and cooked them in five spice powder, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, water and coconut milk for about twenty minutes, and poured the stew onto some rice. Everything was fantastic except the boneless chicken breast; its like those things are marinaded in pure sodium or something.

roband

Postby roband » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Burritos! Here's the innards - http://i.imgur.com/fc85i0j.jpg

Here's the end result (prepare to be disappointed) - http://i.imgur.com/WBXTtd5.jpg

I'm going to freeze them and have them for lunch. Chicken, avocado, beans, rice and cheese. Pork, spinach, beans, rice and cheese.

Almost can't wait to try one!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Leftover tuna was magically transmuted into fish tacos.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:35 am UTC

Got some chili simmering away. Smoked a piece of chuck and some red Anaheim-looking peppers. Star anise, bay leaves, cumin, ground Anaheim and arbol, Mexican oregano, splash of bourbon. Debated adding a spicy smoked sausage, but decided against it. Might make a bit of cornbread on the side.

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:11 am UTC

Bulgar pilaf with mushrooms and baked squash. One half of the squash got cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and olive oil, the other got apple cider, butter cinnamon and nutmeg. They both went very well with rare porterhouse steak.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:07 am UTC

Late night snack of orange chocolate chip pancakes with bourbon-brown sugar syrup. That's what I get for watching Pulp Fiction after dinner.

EDIT:
Shucked and ate half a dozen Hama Hama oysters, and tried smoking the other half, expecting them to open up when done. Turns out oysters don't work that way. Tried steaming them, thinking they might just need a few more minutes of cooking, but they stayed shut.

Oh well, $5 isn't too bad for a failed experiment involving oysters. (Living in the Pacific NW has its perks.) Might try smoking them again, but next time I'll shuck them first.

For now, I'm making a romaine-dried tomato-vinaigrette salad to eat with leftover roast chicken. Maybe some sage brown butter as well.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:06 am UTC

Got a red kuri squash at the farmer's market this morning and made a soup with lots of spices (curry powder, cinnamon, cardamom, coriander, lots of ginger, garlic). Served with bread from a local bakery, rosemary salt bread also procured at the farmer's market. It was pretty delicious, if I do say so myself.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Yesterday I made:

-Pureed potato and leek soup with cheddar and sour cream
-Leeks braised in sake and dijon mustard and finished with lemon juice
-Roast pumpkin and apple soup with heavy cream and balsamic vinegar

Anyone who did not come to the pumpkin carving event at my house missed the fuck out.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

*sob* This is what I get for attempting to be a good student and working on my stupid Java assignment? DAMNIT, WORLD. *fistshake*
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

There is a time for pumpkin carving, and a time for making a better future. They sometimes do not coincide. :|

I made kitchen sink soup!
- Chop all the veggies in the fridge
- Heat some oil and spices for a bit
- Add the tougher veggies, do a bit of stir-fry until lightly cooked
- Add boiling water to cover, plus the delicate veggies (and a bouillon cube or other stock option)
- Stir, taste, adjust seasoning, turn off heat

Yummy, especially once I learned that I can add a teaspoon of bottled black bean sauce if the bouillon cube sucks at being stock.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:*sob* This is what I get for attempting to be a good student and working on my stupid Java assignment? DAMNIT, WORLD. *fistshake*

That'll teach you to be productive!
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

I would say "I'll never be productive again!", but uh. Yeah, I can't afford to. >_<

YIM: tomato chickpea rice soup, finished off with lemon olive oil and cheddar on top. It was super tasty. :)

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:53 am UTC

Parmesan crusted chicken cutlets, rice, spinach and garlic bread.
And a batch of barbecue chicken wings just for munching because they're tasty.

Return to “Food”