The Liquor Thread

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: The Liquor Thread

Postby Belial » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:21 am UTC

Glenmorangie is amazing in general, I am in agreement on this.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:39 am UTC

I'm a fan of Bombay Sapphire for gin and tonic, but it just has too much going on for a martini. I prefer Tanqueray for that.

I love whiskey but have never met a bourbon I liked. I've been a fan of Drambuie for a while (straight and hot), but recently discovered the rusty nail, which is now my favorite nightcap.

At a party last night a friend handed me a bottle of Stroh 80:
Now, I'll try anything once. I've taken a swig of straight Everclear (a knockoff actually but it doesn't matter when it's 97% pure) and it didn't burn like this stuff. Apparently Stroh is supposed to be butterscotch or something but to me it tasted like Christmas on fire. Definitely some good flavor in there but it would need a lot of dilution to come out.

On a different note, anyone have suggestions of where to find bartending equipment locally (US stores)? I basically just want three things - a julep strainer, a stainless jigger, and a Boston shaker (the two cups), but I can't seem to find anywhere that carries the latter two. Yes, I'm picky on that last bit.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:47 am UTC

I maintain that Tanqueray or Tanqueray Number 10 is the best gin. But I'm no gin expert.

Last night I had a drink at a fancy-pants cocktail bar:
Black Diamond Sour
Amaretto Disaronno
Blackberries
Lime
Violet Liqueur

Served with an edible flower. It was purple and delicious - sort of sweet, with a hint of sour.

I thought of posting it here since Girl and Belial have mentioned Violet Liqueur before, it's something I've never had before and so when I saw it on the menu I decided to try it.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

That sounds tasty. Do you know measurements? Also, were the blackberries just dropped into the cocktail, or mashed up in some way?

They/them

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

Absolutely no idea about the measurements, I'm afraid. Drinks weren't made in front of us. However, I can tell you that the blackberries were smashed and strained, as my drink was perfectly smooth. Or perhaps they just used blackberry juice.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

Gotcha.

Hmm. I'll have to play with measurements.

They/them

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

Sounds like a fun night of experimentation.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

Yeah, I get that a lot.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

I had no idea your girlfriend was an electron microscopy grad student, clintonius.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Amaretto Disaronno
Lime
Violet Liqueur
Blackberries

If I had to guess:

4 muddled in the glass

The hard part is going to be cutting the sweetness of the Amaretto, but not overpowering the violet. Thankfully your violet syrup is pretty strong.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:23 am UTC

Sounds tasty. I had a cocktail at PAX over the long weekend that had whole raspberries in it. Was quite tasty. Can't remember the liquors for the life of me though. I think it was vodka based.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:34 pm UTC

Thanks, Az, I'll start with that, and play around a bit.

Oh, right, so like three weeks back Parka and I took it upon ourselves to make this cocktail happen:

Lucid St George's Starry Night

2.5 oz Van Gogh Dutch Chocolate Vodka
.5 oz Absinthe Verte (the recipe called for Lucid, we used St George because it's better and fucked if I was buying another bottle of absinthe)
.5 oz Simple Syrup

Shake, strain into glass rimmed with chocolate cookie crumbs (oreos in this case, which is why I had a bowl of oreo middles on my kitchen table for a while), garnish with a star anise pod.

Guys, it was so tasty. Sooo tasty. We had to stop making them because the party murdered the bottle of chocolate vodka.

They/them

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

Cocktails in here plzthx: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16672

I want whisky. But not just any old whisky. Oh no. I need recommendations for some nice single malt scotch whisky from a small, independent distiller, preferably that few people have ever heard of. Y'see, the thing is, I've been drinking Highland Park. Which is jolly nice, but a tad over commercial - they sell it in some supermarkets! This needs fixing. Advice please?

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:06 pm UTC

Independent is hard. There are very few independent distillers left. Edradour is one, though it isn't the most highly rated. Bruichladdich is another, though it's owned by venture capitalists, it's independent of the likes of United Distillers or Diageo. There aren't more than three or four independents left, sadly.

And don't criticise Highland Park. Seriously. I'll become unreasonable if you do.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

I'm not criticising HP - I love the stuff! But it lacks the... artisinalness, I guess - that I would like to find in a whisky.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:I'm not criticising HP - I love the stuff! But it lacks the... artisinalness, I guess - that I would like to find in a whisky.

I... I don't know where to start. Seriously?

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

Dream wrote:I... I don't know where to start. Seriously?

I suppose the last resort is to start illegally distilling and maturing my own...

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

I think you want this. Expensive. But thoroughly worth it, if you can.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:48 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:I need recommendations for some nice single malt scotch whisky from a small, independent distiller, preferably that few people have ever heard of. Y'see, the thing is, I've been drinking Highland Park. Which is jolly nice, but a tad over commercial - they sell it in some supermarkets! This needs fixing. Advice please?

Advice: This does not need fixing. Indie cred has nothing to do with taste, and it seems like indie cred is what you're looking for. There are a lot of good single malts around, many of which are truly singular experiences, whether or not they are sold in a supermarket near you.

And if you've already sampled all the single malts in liquor stores near you and really truly want the unique taste of a small, independent distiller that few people have ever heard of, you should be touring Scotland and asking bartenders and liquor store owners, not posting on an internet forum.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Advice: This does not need fixing. Indie cred has nothing to do with taste, and it seems like indie cred is what you're looking for. There are a lot of good single malts around, many of which are truly singular experiences, whether or not they are sold in a supermarket near you.

You're right that they're not necessarily very strongly correlated. You're wrong that they're not at all correlated. A distiller who produces 100 000 litres can put a lot more care into what materials they select and producing the whisky than one who produces 2 500 000 (which is roughly how much HP produces). Example: Suppose a distiller decides that a certain type of sherry barrel produces superb whisky, but can only get a fixed number of them every year. Obviously a larger distiller could not use them, or if he did, could only use them for a smaller batch of some sort of 'premium' whisky, which they'll then chuck a huge markup on.

Bakemaster wrote:And if you've already sampled all the single malts in liquor stores near you and really truly want the unique taste of a small, independent distiller that few people have ever heard of, you should be touring Scotland and asking bartenders and liquor store owners, not posting on an internet forum.

Perhaps someone on here already has done that. That would save me a lot of time, and significant expenditure on rail tickets.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:You're right that they're not necessarily very strongly correlated. You're wrong that they're not at all correlated. A distiller who produces 100 000 litres can put a lot more care into what materials they select and producing the whisky than one who produces 2 500 000 (which is roughly how much HP produces). Example: Suppose a distiller decides that a certain type of sherry barrel produces superb whisky, but can only get a fixed number of them every year. Obviously a larger distiller could not use them, or if he did, could only use them for a smaller batch of some sort of 'premium' whisky, which they'll then chuck a huge markup on.

Except you said in the original post that you liked the variety sold in the supermarket just fine.
Y'see, the thing is, I've been drinking Highland Park. Which is jolly nice, but a tad over commercial - they sell it in some supermarkets!

The complaint you put forward was that it was good, but "commerical" and that it was somehow less good specifically because they sold it in supermarkets. If you want to critque the brand sold in the store for its flavor that's one thing, but to say it tastes fine and turn around and call it a problem that it's easily available is quite another.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:53 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:
Mr. Bakerstein wrote:Advice: This does not need fixing. Indie cred has nothing to do with taste, and it seems like indie cred is what you're looking for. There are a lot of good single malts around, many of which are truly singular experiences, whether or not they are sold in a supermarket near you.

You're right that they're not necessarily very strongly correlated. You're wrong that they're not at all correlated.

No, he's absolutely right. Crafting a single malt whisky requires almost unimaginable levels of artistry and artisanal effort, regardless of the amount of the final product produced. You're splitting hairs if you want to draw distinctions between distilleries based on the size of their stills. And your oak idea ignores the basic method by which single malts are made: They chuck the raw spirit into just about any barrel available, and monitor them over years. It's only after the aging process (or during it if the oak is doing really well) that choices about which casks will go into which whiskies are made, long after any thoughts of cask availability are moot. Even then, the oak used is invariably from megalitre range operations elsewhere. Even whiskies finished in Yquem or Margeaux are dealing with hundreds if not thousands of available casks.
Mr. Bakerstein wrote:And if you've already sampled all the single malts in liquor stores near you and really truly want the unique taste of a small, independent distiller that few people have ever heard of, you should be touring Scotland and asking bartenders and liquor store owners, not posting on an internet forum.

Perhaps someone on here already has done that. That would save me a lot of time, and significant expenditure on rail tickets.

Perhaps there are. Perhaps you should listen to them, they've posted dozens of times in this very thread.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

Dream wrote:
Nebuduck wrote:
Mr. Bakerstein wrote:And if you've already sampled all the single malts in liquor stores near you and really truly want the unique taste of a small, independent distiller that few people have ever heard of, you should be touring Scotland and asking bartenders and liquor store owners, not posting on an internet forum.

Perhaps there are. Perhaps you should listen to them, they've posted dozens of times in this very thread.

Hah! Next you'll tell me there's someone here that actually lives in bloody scotland, or sommat....

They/them

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Dream wrote:And your oak idea ignores the basic method by which single malts are made: They chuck the raw spirit into just about any barrel available, and monitor them over years. It's only after the aging process (or during it if the oak is doing really well) that choices about which casks will go into which whiskies are made, long after any thoughts of cask availability are moot. Even then, the oak used is invariably from megalitre range operations elsewhere. Even whiskies finished in Yquem or Margeaux are dealing with hundreds if not thousands of available casks.
For instance: Laphroig uses old Maker's Mark Barrels. And I think I saw Jim Beam barrels in the background footage at another, maybe Glenmorangie? Anyhow, barrels are super abundant -- and the 'wood finished' products [sherry, port, madeira etc] typically only spend a small portion of their time in those casks, after having spent the majority of their time in the typical, once-used, American oak barrels.

And The Answer According to Azrael is: Lagavulin. A less distinct answer may be that you're tired of Highland or Speysides, so try Islays.

Unless you want to expand beyond scotch ... which you should: Then my answers are Yamasaki, Rogue's Dead Guy Whiskey or Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. And the last two will undoubtedly fit the 'artisian' descriptor, despite it being an arbitrary and generally unhelpful.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:48 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Dream wrote:
Nebuduck wrote:

Hah! Next you'll tell me there's someone here that actually lives in bloody scotland, or sommat....

Dude, Scotland doesn't exist. It's like the whisky Easter Bunny, that all us Old World whisky enthusiasts made up to poke fun at everyone else. We thought if we went over the top enough with the quality, no one would ever believe it could possibly be true. All those incomparable whiskies coming from the same tiny country and practically nowhere else? I mean come on, tartan. Bagpipes. Caber tossing. Haggis. We were clearly having you on the whole time.

Actually, we're kinda embarrassed, it sort of got out of hand when we made up a parliament and a Mel Gibson movie. Sorry about that...

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:Rogue's Dead Guy Whiskey

whaaaaaaaaaat!

Please tell me it's not a let-down.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:49 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Azrael wrote:Rogue's Dead Guy Whiskey

Please tell me it's not a let-down.

But it's artisanal! :roll:

If I were going to buy it again, I'd spend the extra $8 and buy Yamazaki. But it's damn tasty and certainly ... unique.
Last edited by Azrael on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:49 am UTC

Dream wrote:Actually, we're kinda embarrassed, it sort of got out of hand when we made up a parliament and a Mel Gibson movie. Sorry about that...

As long as I can keep having the kilts and the whisky and the haggis, all is forgiven.

They/them

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

Oh, the haggis are real, but are farmed in Argentina.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

I find it hilarious that my friend's cocktail of choice is bright pink. Watermelon jolly ranchers are delicious. I've seen different ways to make it, but we do like a 2 count of watermelon smirfnoff, 2 count of a lemon mixer, 4 of cranberry juice, and a lime.
Tasty.
uhhhh fuck.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:39 am UTC

Having tried Knob Creek I now must revise my opinion that bourbon sucks. Most bourbon sucks. Knob Creek is delicious.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

So here's a question: What do folks generally like to have with their favored drink? I like to compliment my scotch with a little bit of dark chocolate. I'm curious if anyone else habitually has a perticular snack with their liquor.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:34 am UTC

I just accidentally drank Bacardi and Tonic. Twas no good.

The subsequent Stolychnaya and Tonic is totally drinkable though.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Dream wrote:I just accidentally drank Bacardi and Tonic. Twas no good.

The subsequent Stolychnaya and Tonic is totally drinkable though.

How does one "accidently" drink Bacardi and Tonic? I don't keep Bacardi around the house but it seems like it'd be an obviously different bottle from my Stoli'

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:48 am UTC

The bacardi was just a party leftover that I poured into a glass expecting to mask it with a lot of cola. But I unthinkingly used tonic. Then I drank it anyway, because I can't afford anything else just now.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:25 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:I find it hilarious that my friend's cocktail of choice is bright pink. Watermelon jolly ranchers are delicious. I've seen different ways to make it, but we do like a 2 count of watermelon smirfnoff, 2 count of a lemon mixer, 4 of cranberry juice, and a lime.
Tasty.
I must try this.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:35 pm UTC

Just drank the second-last shot of the Lagavulin 16. The next time that bottle is opened, it will be emptied. Ah, the great circle of life. I seem to be getting reflective. I suspect that means it's bedtime. Also, I'm now wondering where the hell I put my hip flask...

The Utilitarian wrote:I like to compliment my scotch with a little bit of dark chocolate.
Absolutely this.

I did a similar thing once when I mistook some Havana Club Anejo Blanco for gin.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:Anejo Blanco
That seems terribly contradictory.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:
I did a similar thing once when I mistook some Havana Club Anejo Blanco for gin.

Well, Havana Club is a fair step above Bacardi. It couldn't have been that painful?

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:08 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
Amarantha wrote:Anejo Blanco
That seems terribly contradictory.
I don't know any Spanish, but that's what it says on the bottle. Although I've just noticed the first 'n' has a tilde, if that makes a difference.

Dream wrote:Well, Havana Club is a fair step above Bacardi. It couldn't have been that painful?
It wasn't terrible, it's just that I was expecting gin :P

Return to “Food”