Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

netcrusher88

Re: Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Postby netcrusher88 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:06 am UTC

For any other RIS fans in the Northwest, Deschutes' 2009 reserve The Abyss is coming out early next month.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

tunastopit

Postby tunastopit » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

Every year I get all excited about autumn because of the seasonal beers that come back (mainly Shipyard Pumpkinhead ale and Sam Adams Octoberfest), but I was diagnosed with celiac disease/dermatitis herpetiformis in the summer and had to cut out all gluten from my diet which means I could no longer enjoy my fall beers (or even lick a postage stamp) without painful consequences.

I'm still upset.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:33 am UTC

Switch to whiskey?
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:39 am UTC

Alright. So, there's a little bodega a couple blocks away that says something like "craft beer supplier" on the outside, and I have always thought, right, you carry something from Belgium and feel all smug about it. I decided to pop in tonight on the way to picking up some food, and was confronted with an entire lengthy wall of brews. Impressive. I settled on two bottles of Dogfish Head beer -- a Palo Santo Marron and a World Wide Stout. The cashier rang up my purchase: $13.98. Sweet jesus, these had better be good.

Home, beer, fridge, dinner. I pull the Palo out. There was a "12" at the bottom of the label, which, silly me, I assumed referred to the number of ounces in the bottle. Turns out it was a reference to the ABV. Well, holy balls. Better get this one out of the way so I don't wind up drinking the stronger one last.

It was rather sweet for my taste, and not exactly my thing. I finished it up and, feeling a bit buzzed, figured I'd grab the stout and enjoy something nice and dark. The first thing I notice is that there's hardly any head to it. The second thing I notice is that it's black. I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a beer this dark before. The stuff makes Guinness look WASPy. It's easily as dark as blackstrap rum. A whiff reveals a pungent, alcohol-tinged aroma, and the first few sips are all chocolate and coffee. This led me to do a bit of googling, and I kind of crapped my pants when I did.

Eighteen fucking percent alcohol. Eighteen fucking percent. Sweet jesus. At least now I know why I paid $14 for two bottles of beer.
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:44 am UTC

Last edited by Surgery on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:55 am UTC

Ruination is definitely not representative of all IPAs and only somewhat representative of Stone. It depends on what you didn't like about the beer. All IPAs have a lot of hops. This is particularly true of American craft IPAs and even more true of west coast IPAs like Stone. Any beer with that much hops is going to be bitter, but the amount of bitterness can vary a lot. The bitterness is what tends to turn some people off. However, in my opinion, hops add some of the best flavors to beer and IPAs (again, particularly west coast IPAs) are the best way to really experience those flavors. If the bitter is the problem, I would recommend getting more accustomed to that taste so you can appreciate a lot of great beer instead of just ignoring the whole style. Maybe start with some hoppier pale ales and work your way up into hoppier IPAs. If its not just that hoppy bitterness that you don't like and you want to try some other IPAs to see if you like the style, I would recommend Green Flash West Coast IPA, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, or Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. I think the Green Flash is my favorite, but the Dogfish Head is probably the most drinkable and easiest to find, depending on where you are.

Also, according to Beer Advocate (a very good source of info about craft beer) Ruination is a Double IPA, not just a regular IPA so its really a slightly different style. The "double" means that it has more malt, more hops, and more alcohol than a regular IPA. This usually makes for a more intense and flavorful but less drinkable beer. So again, not really representative of IPAs in general.

As for Stone, from what I've had, they tend to make pretty intense beer, regardless of style. This beer is called "Ruination" for a reason. Their website says it has 100+ IBUs (international bitterness units). That's about as much as you can get. Its supposed to be an intensely bitter beer. They have another beer called Arrogant Bastard that they describe like this. If you are not used to these styles of beer or you are looking for something smoother and easier to drink (though that might mean less complex or interesting), you probably shouldn't go with Stone. That said they make a lot of excellent beer, some of which is more mellow. Levitation for example is a much smoother, lower alcohol beer. Their IPA and Pale Ale probably go down easier as well.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

Went to the Red Hook brewery today, did their tour. If you're in the Seattle area or near Portsmouth, NH and have some time, drop in - it'll be the best $1 you spend for some time. Five beer samples (some of these rotate) and a look around the place. Speaking of those samples:

Slim Chance light ale: It's a light blonde ale that replaces Red Hook's recently retired blonde. According to the tour guide, they set out to make a light beer that doesn't suck - and they did a pretty good job. Kind of tastes like a wheaty pilsener, not bad.
2009 Winter Hook: I'm unimpressed with this year's brew. Apparently last year's was incredible, but this year it kind of tastes like it's trying to be too many things at once and failing at all of them. Not overall bad though.
Red Hook ESB: Not bad. I don't really know what to say about this, not having much experience with ESBs to compare it to. I like Red Hook's, though. This is their flagship brew.
Long Hammer IPA: I'm not in general a fan of IPAs, but this one is pretty good. Still not my favorite, Elysian Avatar holds that title.
Blackhook Porter: Apparently one of their original brews. A very good porter.

Speaking of Elysian's Avatar IPA: having now sampled it quite sober, I appreciate this brew even more. It's like jasmine tea and beer. I seriously can't stress enough that if you see this you should buy it.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

clintonius wrote:Alright. So, there's a little bodega a couple blocks away that says something like "craft beer supplier" on the outside
Holy shit, you found a place that actually has a craft beer selection in NY?! Fucking amazing.

Also: That price you paid for those two beers is high... I'm pretty sure a 4-pack of the Palo Santo Marron goes for around $13-$15 here, not sure of pricing on the stout. I'll check the next time I'm at a liquor store.

Palo Santo Marron is very delicious, but I haven't tried the World Wide Stout yet... even though I love stouts, I am wary of ones frequently described as strong coffee flavor.

As for other Dogfish Head beers... Punkin Ale. It's delicious. Oh, Midas Touch is pretty good, too, but that one's a bit more expensive, what with the "Oh me yarm ancient yeast" thing they have going on.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

I think the bulk of the price was the World Wide Stout. The bottle isn't date-stamped, but apparently this stuff can potentially be several years old, and I believe it is comparatively rare. I'd say the flavor is more chocolate than coffee -- at least, that's what seems to have stood out to me -- but there is definitely plenty going on beneath the surface. Also, it's the kind of thing where a 12-ouncer will last you well over an hour. You really don't want to swill this stuff.

Netcrusher -- what town is the Red Hook brewery in again? It's up off the 405, isn't it? A friend of mine from college lived in Duvall, which is really nearby, but damned if I can remember the name of the place.

EDIT for Woodinville. Google is your friend, kids!
kira wrote:*piles up some limbs and blood and a couple hearts for good measure*
GUYS. I MADE A HUMAN.
*...pokes at it with a stick*

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

Last edited by Surgery on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

telcontar42 wrote:Ruination is ... only somewhat representative of Stone.
I disagree. Stone is the quintessential west coast brewery. What does that mean? Over-hopped. Totally over-hopped. Extremely. Extraordinarily. Sometimes I wish that the defining factor in so many west coast styles wasn't over hopping. But it is. If you didn't like the bitterness, IPAs may not be for you.

Clinton -- be careful with Dogfish. They have a *very* open interpretation about what beer is, and if you venture beyond the 60/90 minute IPA and Raison D'Etre, you're going to need your esoteric pants on. For what it's worth Palo Santo is one of my favorites and is technically a flavored malt beverage, not beer. I have the last of a four of King Midas in my basement beer fridge -- it's a light ale with muscat grape, saffron and ... something. I break it out when I feel like being confounded.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:38 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
telcontar42 wrote:Ruination is ... only somewhat representative of Stone.
I disagree. Stone is the quintessential west coast brewery. What does that mean? Over-hopped. Totally over-hopped. Extremely. Extraordinarily. Sometimes I wish that the defining factor in so many west coast styles wasn't over hopping. But it is. If you didn't like the bitterness, IPAs may not be for you.

I agree that Stone makes a lot of heavily hopped beer. I just wouldn't go as far as to say that if you don't like ruination, you won't like anything they make. It's a pretty extreme beer, even for Stone. I don't think I would call any of their beer mild, but some is milder.

As for west coast beer in general, I agree. I love some of the ridiculously hopped beers here, but it can get old. Hops aren't the only way to get flavor in a beer.

Edit:
I just came across this thread on beer advocate that I thought was pretty relevant.

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

My friend's going through chemo. All he wants is a beer. He cannot have alcohol. Suggestions for NA beer that doesn't taste like somebody pissed it out already?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

That's why I like you, Axman—your sense of humor.

Ginger beer? Root beer? That's all I got.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

Maybe Birch Beer. But that thing you are asking for, I don't think it exists.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:21 pm UTC

Birch beer might as well be root beer. Not like most root beer is actually made with sassafras anyway.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

Considering that the FDA outlawed the use of sasafrass in the 1960s.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

Um. Read the article again? Or... for the first time? :P

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

Root beers that list sassafras as an ingredient today, such as those made by Hansen’s Natural Soda or Thomas Kemper, use a safrole-free extract.
I had a compiler error at this line.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:05 pm UTC

It's kind of a confusing issue anyway. I was researching it a couple months ago when we had some looseleaf sassafras tea and I was trying to figure out if it was going to kill me. It was not, which is good, because it is amazing iced.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

It's kind of like outlawing coffee, but oh wait, decaff is fine. Silly FDA and their continued inability to make the extraordinarily complex field of food regulation simple and easy.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

Coopers makes a beer with nearly no alcohol:
http://www.coopers.com.au/beer.php?id=137&pid=5
Is 0.5% too much?

It's not as satisfying as real beer, but it's not quite piss either. Just dunno if you can get it in Colorado.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:22 am UTC

To my knowledge, all "non-alcoholic beer" actually contain alcohol. Technically, it's just low alcohol beer. O'Douls, for example, is also 0.5% ABV. I would guess that is about typical for non-alcoholic beer.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

On that note, here's another reason Maine is crap:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oc ... lcohol-row
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

Clare Desrosiers, of the Aroostook substance abuse prevention coalition, said that given the lemonade's alcohol content and packaging, it simply should not be marketed to children. "If a product encourages children to drink alcohol, then it shouldn't be sold," she said.

What, exactly, about that packaging encourages children to drink alcohol?

Butch Asselin, the chief of Houlton police, had earlier explained the decision to ban the drink to minors.

"It wasn't so much that we were trying to give Fentimans a black eye," he said. "We just want to make parents aware it contains alcohol. I've never had it; it's probably very good, but their website says it can be used for mixed drinks."

What? Or more accurately... so what?

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:
Butch Asselin, the chief of Houlton police, had earlier explained the decision to ban the drink to minors.

"It wasn't so much that we were trying to give Fentimans a black eye," he said. "We just want to make parents aware it contains alcohol. I've never had it; it's probably very good, but their website says it can be used for mixed drinks."

So let's ban tabasco sauce, orange juice, salt, almost all fruits, ice (and water for that matter), plastic cups, and parties!
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

kernelpanic wrote:
dubsola wrote:

So let's ban tabasco sauce, orange juice, salt, almost all fruits, ice (and water for that matter), plastic cups, and parties!

Off the top of my head, I'm hard pressed to think of any beverage that hasn't been mixed with alcohol. The only thing I can think of is when I couldn't find any cocktail recipes involving Barrilitos soda. But that doesn't count because I just went ahead and invented it (it's just a highball with tequila, use their pineapple flavor).

But seriously, if that's their problem then they must be pissed at Coke agreeing to those pre-mixed Jack & Coke drinks.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:Off the top of my head, I'm hard pressed to think of any beverage that hasn't been mixed with alcohol.

Yogurt. but you're right. If they're banning stuff because it can be mixed with alcohol, then almost everything will be banned.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Oh, and Fentiman's Cola and Sailor Jerry with a slice of lime is the best rum and coke I've ever had. I spent a very pleasant summer drinking that drink, back when I could obtain such things on the cheap.

...I bet I could ruin a whole generation of American kids with it...

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

Yogurt is a beverage?

Yogurt hasn't been mixed with alcohol?

I find both of these claims dubious.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

It's certainly been fermented into alcohol, in northern Asia.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Yogurt is a beverage?

Yogurt hasn't been mixed with alcohol?

I find both of these claims dubious.

Drinkable Yogurt

I don't think it tastes well, because it's creamy and sweet and fruity and thick and... it just doesn't go well with alcohol. (except maybe Baileys)

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Lassi is basically drinkable yoghurt.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:14 pm UTC

And also delicious
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:30 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Lassi is basically drinkable yoghurt.

"Not to be confused with [...] Lassie, a fictional collie dog character."

Yeah, I hate it when I get them confused. "Urgh, man this lassi is awful. It tastes so... furry. Wait... Damnit."
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

Oh, it doesn't make that much of a difference, they both taste pretty much the same.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:54 am UTC

Bought a bottle of Dogfish Head Midas Touch today. It's bizarre - kind of a maybe... amber ale/mead/muscat flavor. It's incredibly light, that's probably the honey and muscat coming through, and it seems to rely on the grapes instead of hops for bitterness and the finish, though there's a slight bitter-type hop flavor in the finish. It's relatively flat. The smell is more wine than anything else.

I'm not entirely impressed, but it's something I'm glad I tried.

Also while at the store, I was eying a bottle of 120 Minute IPA and noticed a sticker on the back that said 20.0% ABV. The label says it ages well - no kidding. At 20% ABV and 120 IBU it sounds vicious.
Sexothermic

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:34 am UTC

I went to Duck Island Ale House in Seattle, one of my favorite places because they have an excellent rotating selection of draft beers. Here's what I drank:

2008 Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger Christmas Ale - The bartender said this has been aging for a year and started at 9.5% so he figures it's about 11-12% now. As promised, drinks like a barleywine, but the flavor is more akin to an ESB - Beer Advocate considers it a winter warmer which is apparently a style of bitter anyway. Very good brew.
Deschutes Hop Trip - Deschutes can do no wrong and this is no exception. Reminds me of nothing so much as New Belgium Hoptober but slightly lighter bodied at the first sip. As it warms it develops more body and complexity but keeps the oddly sweet (yet very good) finish. Wonderful pale ale.
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy - I love this beer and talk about it probably far too much, but it bears another mention since this time it's on tap - I've only had it from the can before. On tap it has a whole new complexity and a lot more character. If you get the chance to have draft Ten Fidy I highly recommend at least a sample.
Lucifer Belgian Golden Ale - just amazing. This is what all golden ale should taste like. Tastes pretty much like malted wheat with a lingering lingering malt finish. There's something more to this beer too, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it has to do with the yeast strain given it is a true Belgian brew, or maybe the strain of hops though it seems to come through too early in the flavor to be hops and Lucifer is very lightly hopped. Apparently this is hard to find on tap. The 8.5% ABV can sneak up on you a bit, but you'll feel the warmth (uncharacteristic for a beer that seems to taste largely of wheat).
Stone Double Bastard - you don't have to like Arrogant Bastard to like this brew, but it helps. It's the Bastard with double...something. Hops? I don't know. It's also aged 18 months so it's incredibly smooth and well-balanced, far more than the standard Bastard. Beer Advocate classifies it as a strong American ale but a lot of commenters think it has a strong element of heavily hopped barleywine or old ale and I strongly agree.
Sexothermic

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

netcrusher88 wrote:Also while at the store, I was eying a bottle of 120 Minute IPA and noticed a sticker on the back that said 20.0% ABV. The label says it ages well - no kidding. At 20% ABV and 120 IBU it sounds vicious.

It is sludge. Not one of my favorites but me and a buddy were able to put down 12 oz between the two of us. Easily the most demanding beer I've ever had. They make a 90 minute IPA though which I adore. It's quite strong and bitter but you can drink 12 oz of it and only feel like you've been hit in the face rather than run over by a train. Sometimes I like a beer that fights back. The 90 is what I reach for in that mood.

I've been drifting out of the craft beer scene lately. I just buy newcastle. It's just so much easier to drink! That and it still has enough flavor to satisfy me... mostly. I still swig a 90 minute or somesuch when I want something intense for a change but frankly, newcastle is pretty solid for daily use ;)
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

abbel

Postby abbel » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

Hi from Germany!

This is the perfect place for my first post in this forum. So at least I knew at the beginning what I was talking about.

Taking the risk of sounding boastful: if you want to have the absolutely perfect moment of drinking the best beer in the world you have to taste this :D :

[Link redacted]

Because the website is in German here is the link to theyr beers:

[Link redacted]

If you want me to translate sth from the site just ask.

Please read the Rules Thread. -ST

edit:
Oh sry my fault should have read them :oops:
Well then if anyone wants to find it anyway just google "schlappeseppel"
Last edited by Felstaff on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
/ignore vocabulary mistakes
/ignore grammatical mistakes
/ignore spelling mistakes

Return to “Food”