Beef Jerky, and the eating/buying of it.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Beef Jerky, and the eating/buying of it.

Postby Bobber » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

Hello.

I like beef jerky.
I would even say that I love beef jerky.

I think it's better than most candy, and that means something coming from me.

But, I live in Denmark.
Denmark hates beef jerky.
Until recently, beef jerky would never find it's way to Denmark.
Now, 7-eleven carries some bad, expensive beef jerky.
But I still buy it's as it's the only beef jerky I can get easily.

I once bought some Estonian beef jerky, since it was cheaper (even when considering shipping), but it tasted like ass smells.

So I am asking you, Americans, and other beef jerky lovers all around the world:
Where should I buy beef jerky?

Searching on Google, I can find several sites selling American beef jerky, that also ship to Europe for a fair price.
Some examples are:
Beefjerky.com - $28/lb
Go-Smag.com - $54/lb
Bulkbeefjerky.com - $25/lb
Buybeefjerkyonline.com - $37,80/lb
7-eleven - $70/lb

Buy beef jerky online is the site that sold the ass jerky, but I admit that I bought their cheapest product last time, and that the price I listed here is for their Teriyaki jerky, which is my all around favourite.

My favourite brand so far is "Oh Boy! Oberto" beef jerky, which is what one of my friends brought me 1½ pound of when he was in Chicago for a month two years ago.

Obviously I am going for taste/price ratio - I do not just want the cheapest crap.
If any of you other beef jerky lovers could give me your input, that would be awesome.

Beef jerkingly,
Bobber.

EDIT: thanks for "fooding" my thread :)
Last edited by Bobber on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

PatrickRsGhost

Re: Beef Jerky, and the eating/buying of it.

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

I've found Oberto to have the right amount of spice, but cut too thick, thereby making it too tough when dried.

Jack Links makes some really good beef jerky. The only problem with it is you have to keep it refrigerated after you open it, and it doesn't keep for very long.

I wonder if Slim Jim is even considered beef jerky. Either way I never really cared for it. The mild Slim Jims are okay, but still a bit too spicy.

You can always try to make your own...
PRG

An important message for you:

Julie

Postby Julie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:15 am UTC

Have you tried buffalo jerky? It's apparently a lot healthier and better tasting than beef, but more expensive. Sorry I can't point you in the direction of any vendors.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:29 am UTC

... I have no idea if deer jerky is even commercially sold.

That being said.. yeah, I guess Jack Links would be acceptable. I mean, I'll eat it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:42 am UTC

Jack Links jerky is very nice, even though it is not purist jerky. I have had for reals proper jerky... it was tasty, but that stuff looked like tree bark and chewed about the same. :P Jack Links is a lot easier on my clicky jaw. Nobby's is also nice, but I think that might only be available in Australia.

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:30 am UTC

I finished a one ounce bag of Jack Link's Teriyaki Beef Jerky yesterday. While typing my post, actually.
It was what inspired me to create the topic, I think.
It was really good. But very expensive.
It would really be awesome if there were somebody who had tried to buy from beefjerky.com or bulkbeefjerky.com, as those are the two cheapest sites. I guess I should stop being such a cheapskate, and just buy some from both sites to test it. The problem is, that one of the sites (bulk I think) has about 200 different kinds of jerky, turkey jerky too. Fun to say.
But really, there's too many choices for me :?

edit: grammar and spelling.
Last edited by Bobber on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:44 am UTC

South Africans make "jerky" too - slight differences but still kinda similar. It's called biltong but I don't think that helps you much in Denmark - I am not aware of a big South African contingent there.

Beef biltong is the most common but it is also not unusual at all to find ostrich or different kinds of common southern African antelope varieties (such as springbok and kudu). I think it's not as thin as jerky (at least the jerky I've had) and as such can be more succulent.

I don't know if I have a point to make though, other than to try googling "biltong" in Denmark or make friends with any South Africans you may find.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Although "Springbok Jerky" sounds awesome, I really doubt that it appeals to me.
I'd rather have some dead cow, thankyou D:

Anyways, I just bought me another 1oz bag of Jack Link's Teriyaki Beef jerky.
But no matter how much I try to refrain from just orally berserking that bag of jerky, it only lasts for a day or two, at most.

I just bought a new harddisk, and will need to buy a new mouse too, as I just "accidentaly" broke my old one by dismantling it to see how it worked. This means that I'm a little short of cash, but I think I will try to buy some jerky from beefjerky.com, just one or two pounds.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:12 am UTC

Maybe you could try making your own jerky.

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:46 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Maybe you could try making your own jerky.

I've thought about it, but I'm not exactly a chef.
Also, I seriously doubt that it would be cheaper than buying it.
All recipes I've seen so far usually start with "take 3 pounds of beef tenderloin...".
Beef tenderloin is like, $30 per pound or something in Denmark.
Also, 1lb of tenderloin would make 0,5lb jerky, so that's $60/lb of jerky.
Without counting spices, etc.

Some of the sites I mentioned sells of for under half of that.
On the upside, you can create completely custom designed tastes, such as "coca-cola menthol alligatorjerky" or "abricot-cocoa goosejerky with prunes".

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:56 am UTC

Bobber wrote:...coca-cola menthol alligatorjerky...

Ah, the bitter price of freedom.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:41 am UTC

Bobber wrote:
hermaj wrote:Maybe you could try making your own jerky.

I've thought about it, but I'm not exactly a chef.
Also, I seriously doubt that it would be cheaper than buying it.
All recipes I've seen so far usually start with "take 3 pounds of beef tenderloin...".
Beef tenderloin is like, $30 per pound or something in Denmark.
Also, 1lb of tenderloin would make 0,5lb jerky, so that's $60/lb of jerky.
Without counting spices, etc.

Some of the sites I mentioned sells of for under half of that.
On the upside, you can create completely custom designed tastes, such as "coca-cola menthol alligatorjerky" or "abricot-cocoa goosejerky with prunes".

I don't think I've seen any of the recipes you have, then... The ones I have seen call for flank, or any very lean cut. You wouldn't have to get tenderloin, and they basically required cutting the meat, marinating it and leaving it in a slow oven for a day, which is pretty easy.

And realistically, it's going to be expensive no matter what you do. Meat is expensive. Beef jerky is essentially concentrated meat. *shrugs* Either you are going to have to take the cheapest option and have second rate ass-jerky, or or you are going to have to spend a decent amount of money and buy decent jerky or make your own. Good luck.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:04 pm UTC

*muses along the lines of how ass-jerky could be interpreted as rump-jerky and therefor would be quite good... shrugs*
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

In England, the only beef jerky available in my area actually turned out to be Zebu jerky.

You can really taste the hump and dewlap.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:In England, the only beef jerky available in my area actually turned out to be Zebu jerky.

You can really taste the hump and dewlap.

But... is that a Good Thing?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

Felstaff, there very very likely is a South African shop near you (and lots on the webz that deliver in the UK) so you could easily get a jerky-approximation that way.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

I find that home-made is always the best. Whenever I buy from a store, it's always too moist. Dried meat should be dry! I'll see if the recipe my parents use calls for something cheaper than tenderloin.

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

Your parents have a recipe, and they use it sometimes, and you like the end product?
That's just awesome. Please do see if you can get it for me!
Thanks, asshat asshatter æshættr.

OneFish

Postby OneFish » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

I used to make beef jerky often. It was my staple for backpacking.

Recipe? Ultra simple.

Very Lean Beef
slice <0.25"
salt to taste
black pepper
a little italian style hot pepper(optional) :twisted:
a little New Mexico chile powder(optional) :twisted:
a little garlic rubbed on(optional) :shock:
dry in my dehydrator
vacuum pack
store in freezer
lasts essentially forever that way

Not as immediately flavorful as the store bought ( probably due to lack of MSG) but develops a really great taste when worked for a while :P
Our 'neoconservatives' are neither new nor conservative, but old as Bablyon and evil as Hell. -Edward Abbey-

jtniehof

Postby jtniehof » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

Well, if we're doing recipes:
Lean cut of beef. Expensive meat is lean and has the fat marbled throughout (tastes good, but you can't trim the fat). You can sometimes find a cheap cut that's mostly lean but has fat on the outside that's easy to cut off.
Throw in freezer for ~30min-1hr (makes it easier to slice)
Trim off as much fat as possible
Cut very thin slices on the bias (at about a 45 degree angle from the vertical--maximizes surface area, minimizes length of fibres)
Soak for ~2-3 hours in a marinade of mostly teriyaki, with worcestershire sauce, fresh-ground pepper, a pinch of ginger, onion powder, and garlic powder (the salt in the teriyaki is the essential preservative; everything else is flavour. And I don't measure anything; for some reason it comes out fine)
Take out of the marinade, blot quickly with paper towel (so it's not dripping with sauce)
Put in dehydrator overnight (~6-8 hour)
Blot with paper towel again (there may be some fat on the surface)

Store in zip-top plastic bag. I keep it in the freezer, but that's probably overkill.

There should be a little "give" or chewiness when done; if it's overdried (hard and brittle) put a piece of bread in the bag with it.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... 69,00.html

Haven't tried it, but I implicitly trust everything Alton.

Asad

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:37 am UTC

Sweet Chinese jerky. I don't even know what brand it is, I just know that it's awesome
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:06 am UTC

I'm going to jump on the 'homemade' wagon. The best jerky I've had has been homemade. The stuff I've had has been really tough, but I love it that way, especially as the flavor improves the more you gnaw. As has been said, dried meat should be dry.

I don't have a recipe as such, but from what I recall when my dad did it, it is really quite easy.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:02 pm UTC

I totally forgot to check for replies for a whole month. Sorry guys :D

Thanks for the recipies, but it just so happens that I don't have a dehydrator.
Does anybody have any experience with drying in the oven?
The lowest temperature our oven goes to is 50*C, which is about 115-120 F if I recall correctly.
Do I need more heat? Less? I have no idea.

So far I've survived on several bags of Jack Link's Teriyaki beef jerky. I have to agree that teriyaki is the best flavor :)
I just ate a whole pound this weekend... Good stuff.

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

Have you considered going to a butcher's shop in Denmark? I'm sure, absolutely sure, that they would have beef jerky there, and it will ALWAYS be better than that preservative laden shit you get in Oh Boy Oberta bags.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

Kosenjou

Postby Kosenjou » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Best jerky anywhere.

That's right. Best. Anywhere.
I had some shipped to me in Japan several years ago (squid jerky just doesn't cut it sometimes) and it was worth every penny.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

Blubb3r3ng3l wrote:Have you considered going to a butcher's shop in Denmark? I'm sure, absolutely sure, that they would have beef jerky there, and it will ALWAYS be better than that preservative laden shit you get in Oh Boy Oberta bags.

I don't know whether I should thank you for the suggestion, punch myself in the face, or both.
No, I haven't considered it. I think it's because I have considered it way too exotic for being in a normal butcher's shop, but in the end it's really just smoked, spiced and dried strips of beef. They should have some :!:

Kosenjou wrote:Best jerky anywhere.

I admit that I only looked on the "beef" page, but I couldn't see beef jerky anywhere. I suppose it's not under "Snack sticks" since they're not sticks, and categorizing it under lamb or poultry would just be retarded :D
I suppose I'll mail them. Looks promising, but expensive.

Kosenjou

Postby Kosenjou » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

Bobber wrote:
I suppose it's not under "Snack sticks" since they're not sticks,

While your logic makes perfect sense beef jerky is, in fact, listed in the snack sticks section. Stay away from the honey pig tails though.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton

Bobber

Postby Bobber » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

Kosenjou wrote:
Bobber wrote:
I suppose it's not under "Snack sticks" since they're not sticks,

While your logic makes perfect sense beef jerky is, in fact, listed in the snack sticks section. Stay away from the honey pig tails though.

Well, so much for logical categorizing.

I checked it out, and it looks really promising.
$19.75/lb before shipping is one of the best prices I've seen so far.
And if the stuff is really as good as you say it is, it's also the best overall tastyness/price ratio.

I'll order some of it soon, just to try it out.
The teriyaki flavor, of course :D

EDIT: While it was listed as $19.75 in the shop, it shows up as $22.75 in my cart.
To that I have to add $5.00 for shipping, bringing the total to $27.75, before shipping.
Not so cheap after all then, but still in the cheaper end by comparison to the other sites I listed in my first post.

EDIT2: Okay, so I tried semi-ordering one unit, just to see what the shipping costs would be.
Apparently, they don't ship outside of the US. Even though I selected "Other" on the list of states, I got an error when actually trying to place the order. It said something about that I couldn't choose "other" as the state. So much for having the option there.

Kosenjou

Postby Kosenjou » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

Let me research the regulations for international shipment of food products and, if they aren't too prohibitive, I will purchase and ship the beef jerky to you myself. It is the least I can do since I taunted you with the deliciousness in the first place.

Expect a PM shortly.
-G. K. Chesterton

Return to “Food”