Cocktails

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

hermaj

Re: Cocktails

Postby hermaj » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:20 am UTC

I bought a vodka cocktail book today! I am so excited to use some of these recipes. :D :D

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

the classic definition of a Cocktail includes bitters (sorry, thread title!)

and moreover if you go with the looser definition, it can include non-alcoholic ingredients.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:37 am UTC

The oldest known definition (1806) specified spirit, water, sugar and bitters. Few drinks today (even those we call classics) conform to that narrow definition. Over time the term has come to be used for alcoholic mixed drinks in general. But if you want to restrict your usage to drinks containing bitters, I suppose the others could simply be "mixed drinks" or similar.

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:03 am UTC

Alright, I'm going to be a huge hippocite here and reccomend one of those drinks I was ranting about on the last page. I first tried these at my cousin's wedding in austin, and figured out the recepie from watching the bartenders. I made a bunch of them a a recent family BBQ, and they were a huge success. I had to play with the recepie a bit, so if anyonw wants to try to twerk it and comes up with anything good, please share.

Mexican Martini (Gonzo's version)
2oz Silver Tequila (personally I like Antigua Cruz or Hussong's)
1.5 oz Triple sec
1oz. Orange juce
splash of Sprite
splash of olive juce
juce of 1 lime wedge

Shake all the ingredients over ice. Strain into a cocktail glass, garnish with a lime wedge (Not the one you squeezed into the drink you oaf) and olive. For added fun: use a jalapeño stuffed olive, rim the glass with salt mixed with chili powder.

edit: Gah! Typos defiling my poor recipe :x
Last edited by GonzoMcFonzo on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:So I was talking with Andrew (Sophy's boyfriend) and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what to call all of those things that they call Martinis but aren't. All of those other things that are shaken over ice, consisting of mostly spirit and one or more liqueurs, and without bitters.

I'm partial to 'Tartinis', but it's not especially kind.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:48 am UTC

BOOGER
4 oz rotgut vodka
4 oz red grapefruit juice
4 oz midori
juice of 1 lime
too much sugar
B-O-O-G-E-R, BOOGER!

This may have been a bad idea.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

backslash

Postby backslash » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

on naming drinks: we used to have a code back when things were a lot simpler (not so many flavored spirits, etc.) that helped our bartender brethren decode what might be in a drink. You could reverse engineer drink names for yourself that way.

For example, there is a drink called the Alabama Slammer. Alabama=Southern Comfort, SL=sloe gin, ammer=amaretto. On the old Galliano label, there was a picture of a wall. Hence, anything with "wall" in the name usually contained Galliano (i.e. Harvey Wallbanger, Up Against the Wall, etc.).

...or you could just come up with something clever. Who cares, really. Just enjoy yourself.
"...life's too long to bother with suing Andrew fucking Lloyd Webber." -- Roger Waters

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:46 am UTC

Ahh, like how a Fuzzy Navel has peach schnapps and orange juice?

My gentleman is a bartender! He has made up a couple of pretty nice cocktails, but I can't remember what's in them. I'll find out and post them eventually, though.

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

I've always been a big fan of Mojitos and Martinis. Worked as a bartender for a short period of time, but I fear I didn't pick up much 'leet skillz' during that time. Wish I'd paid closer attention!
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

On the old Galliano label, there was a picture of a wall. Hence, anything with "wall" in the name usually contained Galliano (i.e. Harvey Wallbanger, Up Against the Wall, etc.).

That's...not the way I heard it. It's a picture of a little fortress, and there's a little officer with a sword on the back. It's up against the wall because the Galliano bottle is so tall, it can't be kept anywhere else in the bar.

Ahh, like how a Fuzzy Navel has peach schnapps and orange juice?

The more you know!

2oz Silver Tequila
1.5 oz Triple sec
1oz. Orange juce
splash of Sprite
splash or olive juce
juce of 1 lime wedge

What.
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:58 am UTC

Matt wrote:
2oz Silver Tequila
1.5 oz Triple sec
1oz. Orange juce
splash of Sprite
splash or olive juce
juce of 1 lime wedge

What.

I'm guessing it's a typo for "splash of olive juice", that being presumably the brine from an olive jar, as one might use inna dirty martini.

Hmmm, speaking of which...

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:28 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:I'm guessing it's a typo for "splash of olive juice", that being presumably the brine from an olive jar, as one might use inna dirty martini.

Hmmm, speaking of which...

Yes, I understood that.

My question is WHY PUT BRINE IN A COCKTAIL WITH SUGAR, CITRUS JUICE AND SPRITE.

Now that I think of it, I guess it's meant to replace the salt rim/dash of the common margarita? It still sounds rather disgusting.

Sam Knight

Postby Sam Knight » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

Mojitos and toblerones are definitely tied for 1st place, pina coladas come a close 2nd and sex on the beach a close 3rd.

Agh, if only I could actually make toblerones and the parties I went to actually had all the ingredients anyway..

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

Just had my first (and second) mojito this past weekend. Good shit.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Matt

Postby Matt » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

Sam Knight wrote:Mojitos and toblerones are definitely tied for 1st place, pina coladas come a close 2nd and sex on the beach a close 3rd.

Agh, if only I could actually make toblerones and the parties I went to actually had all the ingredients anyway..

I looked up "Toblerone Cocktail" and oh god. If the parties you go to don't have Frangelico, Kahlua and Bailey's around, there's a possibility there aren't enough women there who are making the buying decision. I don't necessarily call that a bad thing.

Expand your horizons! If a rum lime fizz and a chocolate mess are your favorite concoctions, followed by a fruit-salad highball and a frozen coconut thing, you're obviously not hung up over ingredients. I mean, a mojito isn't even close to sweet, so it can't be that you don't like anything that doesn't have 8 pounds of sugar in it. You've got potential, grab a cocktail recipe book, bring it to a not-busy bartender and say CAN I TRY THIS?

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:41 am UTC

OK, I guess Pimms is a kinda cocktail. So this quite possibly belongs in here.

Pimms, perfect on a hot day, sitting by a pool, qith lovely fresh fruit in it, ice clinking, general loveliness... in fact, I would go so far to say that in a hot country - say, Vietnam, for example - every time is "Pimms O'Clock"!

So why is it so impossible to find Pimms here!? I know that it's a fairly Brit-o-centric thing, found mainly in the commonwealth, but you'd still expect a big hotel catering primarily to westerners to have some of this gorgeous, refreshing, miraculous liquid to hand.

Anyone travelling to Vitenam sometime in the next few days, please bring me some Pimms. You will be my best buddy for ever and ever if you do.

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:So why is it so impossible to find Pimms here!? I know that it's a fairly Brit-o-centric thing, found mainly in the commonwealth, but you'd still expect a big hotel catering primarily to westerners to have some of this gorgeous, refreshing, miraculous liquid to hand.

Pimms is of medium difficulty to find where I am; typically goes for about 18 a bottle unless somebody made a mistake. The real question is, what do you make Pimm's Cup with? I'm not actually sure what the traditional english lemonade is supposed to taste like, so I'm left mixing it with 7up. Are those artisanal lemonades I can find in Target for like three dollars the stuff I'm after, or is there something else I should keep an eye out for?

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 am UTC

Well, whatever the right lemonade is, it's definitely not 7up...

Artisinal lemonade sounds right. I tend to look for something which just says "lemonade" - no brand names like Sprite or 7up - and is flavoured only with lemon. I guess then it's your preference - I always make sure I buy stuff made with proper lemon juice and sugar, and as few artificial chemicals as possibly, but that goes for everythign I buy. In the UK, if I were going for brands, I'd probably get Schwepps.

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

Matt wrote:My question is WHY PUT BRINE IN A COCKTAIL WITH SUGAR, CITRUS JUICE AND SPRITE.

Now that I think of it, I guess it's meant to replace the salt rim/dash of the common margarita? It still sounds rather disgusting.
Pretty much, since I ussually rim the glass with chile powder. Did you notice there's also an actual olive in it?
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

nadreck

Postby nadreck » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:35 am UTC

Well I thought I would introduce myself to this community with my take on one of my favourite cocktails:

Mojito
Well, let me say that I find most bars make a rather boring variety of this drink. This cocktail was invented by one of the worlds most literate lushes, Ernest Hemingway. It deserves to have the correct amount of time put into its making.

Ingredients:
  • Mint leaves and sprigs
  • Bitters
  • Sugar
  • Lime Juice
  • Soda
  • Sweet dark rum
  • Ice cubes

Technique:
Start with a tall glass, I use a pilsner glass often.
Usual technique is to muddle the mint leaves at the bottom of the glass, mine is to take one or two leaves and roll them into a tight shorth cylinder about 1/4 inch (1/2 centimeter) long and cut off about 1/5 of it and put it in the bottom of the glass the fresh cut end of the cylinder is pressed around the top of the glass, I cut another bit off the end, put it at the bottom of the glass and repeat until its all in the bottom of the glass. I add about 1 table spoon of sugar right on top of the mint leaves. I add two dashes of bitters, fill the glass with big ice cubes, add a jigger each of lime juice and dark sweet rum, fill the glass with soda and add a sprig of mint.
When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. It is clear that all the: ills of mankind, tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, political blunders, failures of great leaders; arise merely from the lack of skill in dancing. Molière

Matt

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:57 am UTC

nadreck wrote:Mojito
Well, let me say that I find most bars make a rather boring variety of this drink. This cocktail was invented by one of the worlds most literate lushes, Ernest Hemingway.

Hemingway did not invent the Mojito. Come on.

nadreck

Postby nadreck » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

Ok fair enough, Matt, but he did bring it from Cuba to his societal clique which made it mainstream. He is often given credit for inventing it though. At a guess he told a number of bartenders how to make it - I have done the same with a number of cocktails over the years, but I am not Ernest Hemingway so no one has told stories about that and aggrandizing it into legend.

Also while I am willing to accept that he was not the original inventor, I will not budge on my position that he was the most literate lush.

TTFN
When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. It is clear that all the: ills of mankind, tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, political blunders, failures of great leaders; arise merely from the lack of skill in dancing. Molière

Matt

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:33 am UTC

Ok fair enough, Matt, but he did bring it from Cuba to his societal clique which made it mainstream. He is often given credit for inventing it though. At a guess he told a number of bartenders how to make it - I have done the same with a number of cocktails over the years, but I am not Ernest Hemingway so no one has told stories about that and aggrandizing it into legend.

Hemingway is widely known for popularizing the Daiquiri; although not everyone is in agreement on which recipe, it is understood he liked to substitute grapefruit juice and a dash of dry maraschino liqueur for the sugar, for an exceedingly tart drink. You see, he was a diabetic. Therefore, it is unlikely his go-to beverage was one that involved a healthy helping of sugar. And a real Mojito would taste horrible without it.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

With no experience whatsoever in actually making one, I'd say I want the sugar in the glass after the ice cubes, to spread it more evenly throughout the drink.
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

I prefer cocktails of the shrimp variety. With lots of cocktail sauce, and some Cheddar Bay Biscuits, if you know how to make them right.
PRG

An important message for you:

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:With no experience whatsoever in actually making one, I'd say I want the sugar in the glass after the ice cubes, to spread it more evenly throughout the drink.

As with any drink with sugar and muddling, you want to throw the sugar in with a bit of water so it dissolves into syrup while you're pounding the essence out of the mint. In theory, of course.

PatrickRsGhost wrote:I prefer cocktails of the shrimp variety. With lots of cocktail sauce, and some Cheddar Bay Biscuits, if you know how to make them right.

Make a shrimp thread, then. Geez.

nadreck

Postby nadreck » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:With no experience whatsoever in actually making one, I'd say I want the sugar in the glass after the ice cubes, to spread it more evenly throughout the drink.

I don't muddle the mint leaves instead I crush them around the glass like you use garlic on a wooden bowl for ceaser salad, and I like it the way I make it with the sugar and bitters sitting on top of the crushed mint leaves and only gradually mixing into the drink the first sips are quite tart and then it sweetens up a bit towards the end.

Matt wrote:Hemingway is widely known for popularizing the Daiquiri; although not everyone is in agreement on which recipe, it is understood he liked to substitute grapefruit juice and a dash of dry maraschino liqueur for the sugar, for an exceedingly tart drink. You see, he was a diabetic. Therefore, it is unlikely his go-to beverage was one that involved a healthy helping of sugar. And a real Mojito would taste horrible without it.

Matt, Hemingway is also widely known for popularizing the Mojito and given credit for it in a large number of places. As for a mojito tasting bad without sugar, if you go with his daiquiri recipe how much sweeter is that? Alcohol is contraindicated for diabetics too, so it is possible that Hemmingway indulged in some sugar with this drink.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

nadreck wrote:Matt, Hemingway is also widely known for popularizing the Mojito and given credit for it in a large number of places...

And yet there is serious doubt he actually drank them. Long before mojitos gained their current popularity, it was the daiquiri (and only the daiquiri) that was considered Hemingway's drink.

nadreck

Postby nadreck » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
nadreck wrote:Matt, Hemingway is also widely known for popularizing the Mojito and given credit for it in a large number of places...

And yet there is serious doubt he actually drank them. Long before mojitos gained their current popularity, it was the daiquiri (and only the daiquiri) that was considered Hemingway's drink.

I am not aware of Mojito's gaining any more popularity recently than Belinis or other cocktails. You must not get out much. -Matt I search google using "Mojito Hemmingway" and in the first three pages of results see two main themes: one is recipes attributed to Hemingway which includes some with the bitters and sweet rum I favour and many with other mixes including the simple syrup ones with white rum that I dislike as being way too bland; the other theme is the history of the Mojito and Hemingway, most of which suggest that it was at the bar La Bodeguita that Hemingway drank the mojito. Many of these articles refer to the bar associated with the Hemingway daquari, two articles suggested that the current La Bodeguita was only trading on the Hemingway name, one included the article you referenced. I have no problem accepting that there is debate, but point out that there is debate about many things, and debate does not prove or disprove anything, it simply shows interest and popularity. So I would suggest that in the absence of writing (including correspondence) by Hemingway himself, discussing his drinking, especially whether he avoided all drinks with unfermented sugar, or that he found lime juice bitters and mint leaves too sour/bitter compared to grapefruit juice to drink, then I still accept 3rd party accounts of Hemingway liking Mojito's and teaching some bartender how to make them.

That said I think I will let that topic rest in peace like an overly flogged horse corpse and post my belini recipe on the champagne cocktail thread I started.

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:27 am UTC

being younger and not really a drinking type the only mixed drink (or drink of any kind) I've had was an Irish Car Bomb. Something of a seasonal drink specific to St. Patty's

Fill a pint glass about half full of Guinness.
    Take a shot glass (maybe it was a shot and a half glass, i don't know) fill one half Jameson and one half Bailey's.
    Drop the shot into the beer glass and chug. (if you don't drink it fast the Bailey's will curdle)
    Stand around and compare froth mustaches.
tastes good, looks cool (the creme goes all swirly) , and goes down easy :)
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

Honestly, any bar creation with the instruction "chug" does not go on my list.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Things the Irish probably like: Bailey's, Jameson, Guinness. Things the Irish probably dislike: Idiot "hurr-hurr" undergrads drinking to the violent deaths of their countrymen, the waste of a perfectly good stout, the waste of a perfectly good whiskey.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:OK, I guess Pimms is a kinda cocktail. So this quite possibly belongs in here.

Pimms, perfect on a hot day, sitting by a pool, qith lovely fresh fruit in it, ice clinking, general loveliness... in fact, I would go so far to say that in a hot country - say, Vietnam, for example - every time is "Pimms O'Clock"!

On my to-do list is to try the Pimms and champagne recipe I found.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:59 am UTC

Right, so what's the deal with cocktail shakers? I've just tried to use a Cobbler shaker (tumbler + strainer + cap) and it leaks like a sieve when I'm shaking the drink. What gives? Is this a bad shaker or is that just The Way It Is?

Re: Mojitos -- This is the only way to make one, hands down.

Muddle some mint leaves around the edge of a highball glass. Push the mint to the bottom of the glass with the muddler. Fill the glass to 2/3 with ice. Add rum (Mount Gay white or Bacardi silver) to half. Cut half a lime into wedges, squeeze them into the glass, and drop half the wedges in as well. Add a splash of simple syrup, then quickly fill with club soda and stir.

Any Mojito recipe that includes bitters is incorrect, and any Mojito recipe that include less than half a lime is incorrect. Bottled lime juice is right out.
Last edited by rrwoods on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
31/M/taken/US

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:08 am UTC

And yet ... Bacardi. Way to blow a recipe's credibility.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:11 am UTC

Azrael wrote:And yet ... Bacardi. Way to blow a recipe's credibility.

TBH I used to make them with Bacardi, but I recently received a bottle of Mount Gay as a gift and it's probably all I'll ever buy from now on. But more importantly, the other ingredients in the recipe are SO much more important than the kind of rum you use.

Also on the topic of brands... I ordered a mixed drink containing vodka (can't remember what it was) at an Uno's Chicago Grill recently, and they asked me what kind of vodka I wanted. I found that a bit odd, but maybe this is commonplace? It was the first time I'd ever been asked that question.
31/M/taken/US

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:09 am UTC

I would like to know please how much is a "splash" of simple syrup or is this an instruction in reference to the style with which I should add the ingredient do I have to get some of it on my shirt. If I put in the club soda very quickly perhaps I can get some of it on my shirt as well. Is it traditional to drink Mojitos from the shirt as well as the glass. Thank you.

Matt

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:57 am UTC

Do you often find people who make more than two drinks with a single lime? That almost strikes me as taking too much trouble to be thrifty. How do you reliably juice less than a half of a citrus fruit?

I'm surprised you didn't harp on a favorite mint type.

Besides that, rrwoods, welcome to the discussion! We also love cocktails here and probably already know of many ways to make any drink you may have heard of.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:32 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I would like to know please how much is a "splash" of simple syrup or is this an instruction in reference to the style with which I should add the ingredient do I have to get some of it on my shirt. If I put in the club soda very quickly perhaps I can get some of it on my shirt as well. Is it traditional to drink Mojitos from the shirt as well as the glass. Thank you.

Lawl@all of this... A splash is traditionally defined as half an ounce, but you don't really need to measure it. I say to put the club soda in quickly so that you get to stirring the drink before the syrup settles to the bottom of the glass.
31/M/taken/US

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

In a more serious bent, I've just read the Wikipedia entry for sour mix, and I'm wondering if the experienced cocktail-makers in the thread have anything to add. Thoughts, advice, warnings. I generally use either lemon or lime in a drink, not both, and which one depends on the drink—I can only think of one time I've used both in the same drink, and I think it was a Tom Collins where I threw in a piece of every fruit I had on hand, mostly for show.

Is there much of a point even in making your own sour mix, if you're not a bartender or planning a big party (or even if you are)? And... egg whites? I'm not wild about the idea of a foamy cocktail, to be honest.

Way back in the thread I mentioned an experiment which I'd like to revisit, originally consisting of 1 oz lime juice, 1.5 oz tequila, 1.5 oz midori and 4 oz raspberry-lime seltzer (plus some amount of sugar I added after the first sip). I enjoy the flavor of midori but not so much the loudness of the sweet-vs-sour battle in a midori sour, which was probably what led to adding the seltzer. I'm not sure whether to replace the seltzer with the more traditional club soda or tonic (might try it with each), and I'd be open to suggestions for other ingredients or mixing ratios. I also can't remember whether I made it with ice or not. Opinions, ideas, crazy dares before I shop for ingredients?

Return to “Food”