Microwave Recipes

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:43 am UTC

Brontide wrote:Wow, no stove, no FREEZER?! That sounds pretty harsh. In my 1st year hall of residence we just had fridge/freezer/stove-top and yet still felt cheated without an oven...

Well, it's not really supposed to be self-catered, I'm supposed to get a meal-plan but I dunno... I'm not used to that, I'm used to cooking at home :) Plus it's expensive.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:06 pm UTC

I just got an email with tons of relevant microwaveable recipes in it, you might want to check it out.

Also, we have kitchens in the basements of all the university-sponsored dorm halls, so you might want to check your floor plans for something like that. Of course they don't always work, and you might have to clean them before you use them, but it may mean access to an oven, stovetop, and full-size fridge.

Meal plans generally cost more than the food is worth BUT it gets you access to meals when you don't have time or don't feel like cooking for yourself (depending on operating hours). Also, they're useful as meet-up places and such. I would say I've had a pretty ok experience with them - the food isn't *that* bad here, and even though they system is a bit weird it works out for my schedule. (also we're required to have dining plans if we're living in aforementioned university housing, but whatever)
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:49 pm UTC

Cryopyre wrote:I think you can steam anything quite well by wrapping it in a wet paper towel and then platic wrap. Then microwave it.

Never microwave plastic wrap that's in direct contact with your food. Even if it says it's microwave safe. Use parchment paper instead.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:59 pm UTC

I wonder if there are any good recipes in the Cookbook?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

This thread has raised some question marks over my head...

What the dickens is a meal plan?

Nimz wrote:a good point about the grade-school method of cooking. You can make a reflector that not only heats food, but also makes ice! Just point the darned thing at the darkest part of the sky at night and put water at the focus.

What are you talking about? I'm familiar with .NET reflector, a bike reflector, and the thing you put in your car window in the summer, but... I can't figure it out. Darkest part of the sky? Eh? Google's not helping here, either.

Brontide wrote:if you want to make an ordinary packet of 2-min noodles into a whole meal you can cook them for 1 min and then add a whisked egg, bit of millk, and veg like chopped up spinach etc for like a noodle omelette

That actually sounds pretty good. Doesn't seem particularly unhealthy, either.

After all these questions, I really have no advice for you, Spitvalve. Sorry. I wish you good luck!

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:This thread has raised some question marks over my head...

You pay money up front, they give you a card, and you use this card to pay for food at the cafeteria(s) around campus instead of money, you end up saving a fair bit over paying for everything directly. You also end up spending a fair bit more than going to the grocery store and making your own food.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:52 pm UTC

They do it funnily here. I think what it comes down to is you pay some money to get a card, and you can buy food on campus with this card, debitting the money you put on it. The upside is that you don't have to pay taxes (saving 14%), the downside is the money you put on it has to agree with one of the "plans", which essentially are different amounts of money you can put on it. The smallest is $2260 for a semester, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to spend that much on buying food... that's over $100 a week.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:59 pm UTC

Sounds like a con! Especially when you know you can probably make better food yourself (does not apply to everyone, I know), and if not - the practice will help. Do you have to pay it all at once?

(edited to remove gratuitous swearing and blasphemy, and to add more content. I should probably think before I post. The $2000+ figure set me off, especially in light of tuition fees, book fees, and the general poverty of university students).

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:39 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:a good point about the grade-school method of cooking. You can make a reflector that not only heats food, but also makes ice! Just point the darned thing at the darkest part of the sky at night and put water at the focus.

What are you talking about? I'm familiar with .NET reflector, a bike reflector, and the thing you put in your car window in the summer, but... I can't figure it out. Darkest part of the sky? Eh? Google's not helping here, either.

If you get a parabolic mirror and put something at the focus, aiming the mirror at the sun will heat the object at the focus. Likewise, aiming the mirror at the darkest part of the night sky will cool the object Parabolic mirror is what I was referring to when I said "reflector." It doesn't have to be perfectly parabolic or a perfectly polished mirror to get the heating/cooling effect, but it does help with efficiency to be more accurate.
LOWA

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:If you get a parabolic mirror and put something at the focus, aiming the mirror at the sun will heat the object at the focus. Likewise, aiming the mirror at the darkest part of the night sky will cool the object Parabolic mirror is what I was referring to when I said "reflector." It doesn't have to be perfectly parabolic or a perfectly polished mirror to get the heating/cooling effect, but it does help with efficiency to be more accurate.

I call shinanagins on the cooling.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:13 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
Nimz wrote:If you get a parabolic mirror and put something at the focus, aiming the mirror at the sun will heat the object at the focus. Likewise, aiming the mirror at the darkest part of the night sky will cool the object Parabolic mirror is what I was referring to when I said "reflector." It doesn't have to be perfectly parabolic or a perfectly polished mirror to get the heating/cooling effect, but it does help with efficiency to be more accurate.

I call shinanagins on the cooling.

Technically, it just radiates heat a lot more effectively than it absorbs heat in that configuration. It really does work.
LOWA

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:44 pm UTC

I've never heard of this before, but now I want to try... Of course, SpitValve being in Canada might not need this, eh.

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:I've never heard of this before, but now I want to try... Of course, SpitValve being in Canada might not need this, eh.

He's in Halifax, it doesn't get that cold.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

Touche. Doesn't mean he needs to make ice however.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:20 am UTC

I get the heating part, that is somewhat obvious. Hope you don't mind me asking 'bout this. Tell me where I'm going wrong.

The reflector works during the day by concentrating the heat from the sun at the focus. "Cold" is an absence of heat, and the darkest part of the sky at night doesn't contain any more absence of heat than any other part of the sky (or does it?). So how does it 'focus' the lack of heat? Or is it that the heat from the less-dark parts of the sky is radiated away from the focus?

This concept of 'focusing' cold is :shock:

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:49 am UTC

dubsola wrote:This concept of 'focusing' cold is :shock:

I'm pretty sure he was joking. Some time ago there was something marketted where you cooled things by focussing cold from ice or something.

ifeedlions

Postby ifeedlions » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:56 am UTC

I'm not convinced he thought it was a joke, which scares me.

As a side, I've always enjoyed the notion of using giant parabolic mirrors as orbital weapons... Especially effective against glaciers, it's the only thing that can end their tireless parade of destruction. Well, I guess there's always aerosol cans...

EDIT: You know, in theory, this is actually a sound practice. It's not an attempt to "focus" cold, but rather to isolate the object from ambient energy sources, in this case starlight, and then using the mirror itself as a heat sink, translating internal energy from the change resistant shiny bits to the more conductive dull backing. Not exactly the most efficient refrigeration device, mind you, but it may make the difference of a few degrees.

EDIT 2: Holy f***ing run-ons, Batman!
Last edited by ifeedlions on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:23 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Let me fall out of the window, with confetti in my hair...

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:19 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:
dubsola wrote:This concept of 'focusing' cold is :shock:

I'm pretty sure he was joking. Some time ago there was something marketted where you cooled things by focussing cold from ice or something.

If so, I am now :oops:. Emoticons, is there anything they can't do?

ps That thing from some time ago, that did something? Can't remember it.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:52 am UTC

dubsola wrote:Emoticons, is there anything they can't do?

They can't make somebody love you. For that you need a witty T-shirt.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:53 am UTC

argyl3 wrote:Rice Cookers are amazing. If you just throw in a little bit of cumin in with your rice, it's so flavorful and the most perfect side ever.

Cumin is my new favorite seasoning. I put that stuff in everything. My favorites thus far have been spaghetti sauce and scrambled eggs.

PictureSarah wrote:I've made many a very tasty "baked" terriyaki chicken breast in the microwave.

I would like to hear more about this. I have chicken in the fridge that should really be used by tomorrow and I need ideas.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:18 am UTC

1 Shoulder Pork Chop
2 oz shredded cheese (your choice)
3 oz your choice salad dressing

Dice the pork. Place in a fairly small, deep bowl, so everything is covered by everything else. Nuke for 4 minutes until it boils and the pork is cooked (cooking time may vary based on microwave). Cheese Caesar Pork may not be terribly good for you, but it's tasty and portable (can be nuked anywhere, if it's in tupperware).

Flying Betty

Re: Microwave Recipes

Postby Flying Betty » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:38 am UTC

Take one medium sized microwave
Marinate in barbecue sauce
Wrap in tinfoil and roast in fire pit for two hours or until warm all the way through
Add salt and pepper to taste- rosemary can be added for the very adventurous
Serves four or more; reheats well
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Return to “Food”