Controversial opinions about food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nath

Re: Controversial opinions about food

Postby Nath » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

Coconut milk is rare, except in coastal south Indian food. Cream is rare in home cooking, but widespread in restaurant Mughlai curries. Yogurt is not that common in restaurant curries because it tends to curdle and look unappetizing to western eyes, but sometimes it has its place in homemade curries. Yogurt is more commonly eaten on the side (in the north), or with rice and pickles as a last course (in the south). Your standard, basic Indian meat curry is not finished with anything thick, and has a much thinner consistency than Thai curries (except for the ones I mentioned above).

NegativeN

Postby NegativeN » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:29 pm UTC

I don't like hamburgers. I refuse to try one.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:36 pm UTC

Does that not imply that you've never had one, making your "I hate them" statement kind of stupid?
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

Stupid is a kind of controversial, right?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:46 pm UTC

If you're completely reasonable about food, how can you have a controversial opinion? Unless being reasonable is itself controversial, and then nobody wins.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:25 am UTC

Of course being reasonable is controversial. Have you met people?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:03 am UTC

I would certainly hope that considering reasonable people to be food would be controversial!

...or did I get lost halfway through that exchange?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:18 am UTC

I prefer irrational food.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:23 am UTC

Pie is awesome.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:14 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Pie is awesome.

anyone who hates pie should be dragged into the street and beaten to death with waffles.

they cover it up, but that's what happens.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:46 pm UTC

Hm, I think I may have a few that could be considered controversial.

• All alcoholic beverages are yuck, except some types of cider.
  • I don't see the appeal of tacos either.
  • Brussel sprouts, on the other hand, are delicious when prepared well.
  • I swear food tastes better when you eat it while listening to some good music. Not sure whether that's controversial or just weird.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:23 pm UTC

Wonderbolt wrote:
  • I don't see the appeal of tacos either.

I think this has to do with the quality of tacos in your region.
Tacos, as had in southern calfornia especally, are stripped down basic things, a way to eat the meat without it getting on your hands (much like a sandwich).

A proper carne asada taco is a thing of beauty:
  • very thin sliced Skirt or flap steak, maranaded in orange/lime juice
  • grilled on a flat top or grill, very hot, very quickly
  • only cut after meat has rested, and not kept in warming trays (*cough*chipoltle*cough*)
  • warmed, fresh corn tortillas (no taco shells, ever)
  • topped with diced onion and cilantro (sometimes tomato as a pico de gallo)
  • on the side included: container of salsa (red usually),sliced (key) lime
  • guacamole or a salsa aguacate (thinner, non-chunky guacamole) optional

things a taco should not include:
  • cheese
  • lettuice (if a fish taco, shredded cabbage is acceptable)
  • rice
  • ground beef instead of steak
  • hard taco shells!

if all that you've had is "tex-mex" tacos, or really crappy american style tacos, i can understand not seeing the point, because I don't either.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:18 pm UTC

Anything consisting of ground beef, cheese, salsa, and lettuce is delicious, whether you call it a taco or an American abomination. I'm willing to fight to the death anyone who says otherwise.
-Adam

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:23 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:if all that you've had is "tex-mex" tacos, or really crappy american style tacos, i can understand not seeing the point, because I don't either.

No idea what quality they are in the NL, but I simply don't like the 'Doritos-style' flavoring of those crispy things. I'd rather take the same filling and put it in some pita bread instead.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

Wonderbolt wrote:
freezeblade wrote:if all that you've had is "tex-mex" tacos, or really crappy american style tacos, i can understand not seeing the point, because I don't either.

No idea what quality they are in the NL, but I simply don't like the 'Doritos-style' flavoring of those crispy things. I'd rather take the same filling and put it in some pita bread instead.

a pita bread is very similar to a puffy flour tortilla. I submit that anything inside of the 'crispy things' can not be considered a taco. Unless it is fried when the filling is inside it (these are pretty rare actually). i further submit that you have then never had an actual taco (or, not one that is good enough to judge it as a 'taco').

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Wonderbolt wrote:

a pita bread is very similar to a puffy flour tortilla. I submit that anything inside of the 'crispy things' can not be considered a taco. Unless it is fried when the filling is inside it (these are pretty rare actually). i further submit that you have then never had an actual taco (or, not one that is good enough to judge it as a 'taco').

Eh, perhaps. This is one of those cases where "Everyone in my country calls these things tacos + I don't like these things -> I don't like tacos."

PossibleSloth

Postby PossibleSloth » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

I'm surprised how few places, outside of Texas and California, know what a breakfast taco is. There's nothing like a good chorizo and egg taco on a fresh tortilla with a little bit of salsa or pico de gallo. I haven't had a proper one since leaving San Antonio.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 pm UTC

Wonderbolt wrote:

If your tacos are on something that tastes like Doritos, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

PossibleSloth wrote:I'm surprised how few places, outside of Texas and California, know what a breakfast taco is. There's nothing like a good chorizo and egg taco on a fresh tortilla with a little bit of salsa or pico de gallo. I haven't had a proper one since leaving San Antonio.
I would contend that Mexicans themselves also know what the fuck is up with huevos rancheros. I haven't had proper chorizo since leaving Mexico, though admittedly I haven't been to any border states since then (with the exception of a short trip into the northernmost bit of California).
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:06 pm UTC

I just looked it up, and apparently what we call 'tacos' are hard-shell tacos. And all the ones I've had tasted like Doritos, which made me very much not-a-fan. But it turns out the softer kind are what we call 'wraps' over here, and I *do* think those are delicious. (And yes, part of the reason is that those don't taste like Doritos. In case you haven't noticed yet: I don't like Doritos.)

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:23 pm UTC

Are you in the US, Wonderbolt? Because I'm in California, and the crunchy tacos really only exist at Taco Bell. A wrap is a different thing entirely, with lots of different types of filling, and on a large flour torilla-like thing, big enough to wrap more like a burrito, rather than just being folded in half like a taco.

Sacramento is a good place to be for good tacos.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:26 pm UTC

*points to part about me being in the NL*

Heh, we don't even have Taco Bell here.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:41 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I haven't had proper chorizo since leaving Mexico, though admittedly I haven't been to any border states since then (with the exception of a short trip into the northernmost bit of California).

That northern chunk of California might as well be it's own state. You'll be lucky to find proper chorizo any farthern north than the SF bay area (where I live). Sometimes I really miss living in San Diego, getting proper mexican food is what I miss most.

Wonderbolt wrote:Heh, we don't even have Taco Bell here.

You're missing nothing.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

Houston has the best tex-mex in the world and crunchy taco shells here are pretty common.

And yet Taco Bell is absofuckinglutely delicious. It is to good tex-mex as McDonald's is to good steakhouses, and I mean that as a compliment to Taco Bell, McDonald's, good tex-mex, and good steakhouses.
-Adam

Dissident Love

Postby Dissident Love » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:45 pm UTC

Chunks of veggies over a certain size gross me out.

I found a type of salsa which is essentially identical to most storebought kinds, but everything is chopped up really small, and I can happily eat it with a spoon. Salsa composed of large lumps of gross, slimy vegetable chunks makes me want to retch.

Clearly I am a picky 8 year old.
addams wrote:The whole of the US Population is a Special Needs Group.
Yeah, but we're just ordinary Earthlings, not wierdos from another planet like he is.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:57 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:That northern chunk of California might as well be it's own state.

Some of the people who live there agree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_ ... ific_state)
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:05 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:You're missing nothing.
Taco Bell would be a significant improvement over the Mexican food available in a lot of the places in Europe.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:21 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Taco Bell would be a significant improvement over the Mexican food available in a lot of the places in Europe.

mental self 'To Do': move to Europe somewhere, open a proper mexican food place.

I think the hardest thing would be getting avocados, I'd have to partner with someone in the mediterranean to get a plantation going.

Dissident Love

Postby Dissident Love » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

"What's this on me burrito that looks like salad cream?"
addams wrote:The whole of the US Population is a Special Needs Group.
Yeah, but we're just ordinary Earthlings, not wierdos from another planet like he is.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:26 pm UTC

I haven't had much Mexican food in Europe (apart from one meal at Chi-Chi's, originally an American chain, in Barcelona), but I was decidedly unimpressed at the ability of New Zealanders to manage something approaching it. I guess if you want spicy foreign food in NZ you've got to go for Thai, because what passed for Mexican was bland as all hell.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:36 pm UTC

There was a nice Indian place in Christchurch when I went.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:01 pm UTC

My introduction to Mexican food was in the UAE.

It was not terrible, honestly. Closer to Tex-Mex than California-Mexican. (I've never had Mexican-Mexican, so I can't compare.)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:23 pm UTC

Basically, saying you don't like Mexican because you have had hard shelled tacos with poorly seasoned ground beef is like saying yolu don't like Italian because the only spaghetti you have had was watery noodles with tomato sauce dumped on top of it.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:27 pm UTC

Aaaaarg.

Flashbacks to my childhood, which was mostly very pleasant apart from my mother's cooking. I always have to bite my tongue when people say "there's nothing like mama's food".

When I finished Uni I worked part time and did all the cooking for my parents. I remember the sad realisation in my dad's eyes when I told him I got a job and was going to move out - he'd be limited to my mother's cooking once more (he works far longer hours than she does).

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:47 pm UTC

I didn't like pork chops until I was about 25 and learned to cook them properly. Hint: they do not need to be cooked to 185 F/85 C.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:27 am UTC

freezeblade wrote:You'll be lucky to find proper chorizo any farthern north than the SF bay area (where I live).

Most of Spain is farther north than San Francisco, and they seem to be doing okay on the chorizo front.

My controversial opinion today is that what I'm going to call "English-style sausages" (usually pork, finely ground, often also with other fillings like herbs or cheeses) are better than what I'm going to call "European-style sausages", being basically any sausage from continental Europe.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:30 am UTC

Carlington wrote:Most of Spain is farther north than San Francisco, and they seem to be doing okay on the chorizo front.

Although Spanish and Mexican chorizo are extremely different; Spanish chorizo is cured, and Mexican chorizo is fresh.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:34 am UTC

Hm. TIL. Also, I'm adding "try Mexican chorizo" to my food bucket list.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:00 am UTC

It wasnt until I met my wife's dad that I realized meat could be tasty at home. I was raised on pork, beef and chicken that defied all but the sharpest knives.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:

mental self 'To Do': move to Europe somewhere, open a proper mexican food place.

I think the hardest thing would be getting avocados, I'd have to partner with someone in the mediterranean to get a plantation going.

What makes you think avocados are hard to find in Europe? My local fruit and vegetable store has Israeli and Greek ones.

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:30 pm UTC

I can't stand cilantro? I don't know if it's particularly controversial but oh my god it tastes like dish soap to me.
There's a Mexican restaurant in my town that puts it in their salsa and I didn't know the first time I went - I took a bite with some chips and almost threw up. :(
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Return to “Food”