Does my PC audio remote control exist?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Goldstein

Does my PC audio remote control exist?

Postby Goldstein » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

My keyboard has buttons for play/pause, stop, previous and next track, as well as volume up, down and mute. I use some of these when I'm at my computer, but when I'm using it for background music I'm often quite far away.

I'm looking for a simple remote control to manage the music coming out of my PC from a distance, and I really just want the functions I've mentioned above. I'd ideally have a button to turn my computer on too, but I doubt that's possible without wiring it straight into my motherboard.

I'm envisaging a USB stick and small button pad that looks something like the various iPod devices and indeed, Apple seem to offer one for the iPad, but I'm on a PC here. I've searched eBay, Amazon and Google for various combinations of associated words but the closest I can get is a whopping great TV remote that also works with a PC, or a much sleeker remote strictly for powerpoint presentations. What am I missing? Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Many thanks.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Does my PC audio remote control exist?

Postby mosc » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:18 pm UTC

Look at the ATi remote. They are typically bundled with their TV tuner cards but I think they can be used on their own as well. They're RF, not infared, so you can use them from much further away. They have volume controls and even a mouse emulation directional pad for navigating around the screen if you can see it from where you are. Remote booting a PC is possible, but difficult. PC's that are off can be configured in the BIOS to turn on from a USB signal so there are some devices with a USB dongle that can accomplish what you're after. Probably more money than you're interested in. Opening and closing an application, say the one playing the music, is much more doable and probably more what you're after.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Endless Mike

Re: Does my PC audio remote control exist?

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:52 pm UTC

Do you have a smart phone? There ought to be apps to do this on any mobile OS.

Return to “Hardware”