Diehard Nvidia user eyeballing a nice looking Radeon...

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

abdication

Diehard Nvidia user eyeballing a nice looking Radeon...

Postby abdication » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:26 am UTC

So, I have always used Nvidia graphics cards, no specific reason, but a simple "This has worked well for me in the past" approach.

Annnyways, I have a fairly old 8800 GTX that I have been looking to upgrade, and I just saw this wonderful deal on Newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102888

Now if it had been a Nvidia card with the above specs, I would've grabbed it up in a second, but I don't have much (read: any) experience with Radeon cards.

So, what are the primary differences I am going to end up seeing (possibly) going from a Nvidia card to a Radeon? How do the specs of that card end up comparing to similar 500 series Nvidia ones?

Thanks!

PhoenixEnigma

Re: Diehard Nvidia user eyeballing a nice looking Radeon...

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:42 am UTC

It's going to trade blows with a 560Ti, with the advantage probably going to the 560 Ti, and it's going to edge out a GTX 470 by a bit.

It's a pretty good deal, and it'll be a good bit faster that what you have now. You swap the nVidia control panel for the Catalyst control thing, you get drivers from a different place, but at the end of the day, it's a video card, they're pretty user-transparent these days.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

Are you using Linux at all? If so, don't even bother, ATI has atrocious support for Linux (I can't even run Minecraft on my laptop's TF2 capable ATI card).

Actually, ATI has atrocious drivers full stop...

Killamus

Postby Killamus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:02 am UTC

Yea, ATI drivers have a random glitch where they cause BSODs due to an infinite loop in the drivers with about half their cards. Never could fix it on my machine, I just ended up returning it and getting my 250GT.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

Cue wrote:Are you using Linux at all? If so, don't even bother, ATI has atrocious support for Linux (I can't even run Minecraft on my laptop's TF2 capable ATI card).

Actually, ATI has atrocious drivers full stop...

It depends why you are using Linux. Nvidia binary drivers are better, but ATI has been making more progress releasing actual video card documentation. Back in the day, the availability of the the hardware interface documentation was expected. Now hardware is more complex, with many functions hidden in software, or even disabled in hardware for the "lower cost" part.

The difficulty is that your laptop may not have 3D acceleration fixed until after you have moved to a newer one.

The difficulty with binary drivers is that the card manufacturer, not you, decides when to "end of life" the card. If you want to use an up-to-date kernel you either need to buy an new card, or use the less capable (at the moment) open source drivers. Open source drivers are also needed if you want to do anything "weird" like use it in a machine using a PowerPC processor.
Did you get the number on that truck?

Return to “Hardware”