Help solving number puzzle/cipher

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

malonesbones

Help solving number puzzle/cipher

Postby malonesbones » Wed May 20, 2015 1:37 am UTC

I'm wondering if you guys can help me out on solving a puzzle in a recently released computer game. It's not a puzzle required to finish the game -- rather, it's something the developers hid in the game for fans to solve. But no one has been able to solve it yet, so I'm posting this to another active puzzle forum in hopes someone here might take a look at it and be able to solve it.

Based on past puzzles this company has created, it could be a cipher of some kind, or it could be encoded in multiple ways and take multiple steps to solve (for example, in one puzzle they released, the first number in the puzzle was an alt code, the second number was a caesar shift, and so on, and the final result was a word that then needed to be unscrambled). The code probably isn't something that's overly complicated or mathematical since it's a game that's intended for children (but still has hard puzzles and players of all ages!) And the final answer is definitely a hidden message of some sort.

Anyway. Here's a link to the screenshot of the game with the code/puzzle(hidden on one of the game's Easter eggs)
(take out spaces)
i62.tinypic. com/2nsx2d5. png

So the code is the numbers along the top and bottom of the egg, and the "XII" in the middle I'm sure has something to do with it.

The numbers from the image:
Top Row: 52?-56-94-99-54-50-51-25-29-31-41?
Middle: XII
Bottom Row: 3-24-46-89-15-82-76-77-60-64-68

I put question marks by a couple cause they're hard to read.

I don't know if this is too random, but I'm hoping someone might be interested to try this.

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Re: Help solving number puzzle/cipher

Postby Wildcard » Fri May 22, 2015 9:48 pm UTC

Just as a first thought, if you look at the difference between consecutive numbers, you get:

4 38 5 -45 -4 1 -26 4 2 10

21 22 43 -74 68 -6 1 -17 4 4

I don't think that helps much. I was hoping it would get all numbers to be less than 27 and then a simple 1->A 26->Z substitution would work.

(And no, this is definitely not too random for this puzzle forum. But unlike many other forums, you're not going to get a zillion "I dunno" responses—people will tend to only post if they really have an idea of how to solve this, or a relevant question/contribution. Don't be discouraged if it takes a while to get many responses.)

Also, so other people won't have to copy paste that link:

There's no such thing as a funny sig.

malonesbones

Postby malonesbones » Mon May 25, 2015 2:15 am UTC

Good to know that people may still work on it even if the thread has been sitting here a while. Thanks for attempting this :D

Quixote

Postby Quixote » Wed May 27, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

Here's what I have:
Hypothesis: these are essentially random two digit numbers - as you would expect from a process that perfectly enciphers something.
Statistics: There are seven '5' digits, Seven is quite large: you would only expect the most popular random digit to occur seven times about 3% of the time. But 3% is not amazingly small. So the hypothesis is plausible.

If the digits are essentially random, there is no redundancy left to decipher the code.

So my working theory is that what you need to decipher this occurs elsewhere in the game.

thefargo

Postby thefargo » Thu May 28, 2015 1:24 pm UTC

I had the same observation as Quixote.
All digits 0-9 appear somewhere.
No 2 digit number occurs twice. This points away from a substitution cipher (since letters would likely occur multiple times in a 22 letter phrase)
The fact that the number 3 is written as "3" and not "03" suggests we can't break the numbers down (first digit vs second digit)
I can't find any meaningful symmetry
The most interesting thing I could find was that the doubled digit 99 is followed by three numbers that begin with 5, then later the doubled 77 is followed by three numbers that begin with 6.
Quixote - I think you are a bit off. You note that the digit '5' appears 7 time, regardless of placement. To estimate the probabilty of this , you would need to consider the digits separately, so it becomes "what is the probability of a given digit showing up seven times in a 44 digit stream"? This will actually happen the majority of the time (I show around 80% of the time).

Quixote

Postby Quixote » Thu May 28, 2015 9:21 pm UTC

Quixote - I think you are a bit off.

Oops. I used 22 as the number of digits instead of 44.

malonesbones

Postby malonesbones » Fri May 29, 2015 11:02 pm UTC

I'm happy to see more people have tried this!

For people saying there must be more information elsewhere in the game, I don't know if this helps, but there was another code found in the game that read:

ZK VF KM HV CE GK SA NH LV UD LV !
YW OM JK BK BD GU HP BG PY BD AR NH MH WG ZG ES HP IU

Which someone figured out to be a playfair cipher using the keyword "keyword" (possible sloppiness on the developers' part that they forgot to use a different keyword?) and translates to "to the land of enchantment, eyes forward, mind inward, change is coming." People think it's a hint that a future game will take place in New Mexico (known as The Land of Enchantment).

I don't know if this puzzle has any information that pertains to the puzzle at hand, though.

On another note, like I said, it's unlikely that solution involves anything overly mathematical or complicated. One thing I tried doing personally was seeing if the numbers were ASCII -- I had no luck with that, but that's the kind of thing the company often uses in puzzles.

Return to “Logic Puzzles”