Sexy Accents?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

WastedCharlie wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:I said earlier that I wouldn't say it was, I'm just saying that, depending on what you refer to by "Britain" it could be included as a British accent in that Irish accents come form the British Isles. I was more ranting about the uselessness of the term "British" as anything else.

It's absurd that in the US there is a notion that British people have one accent. Or even that there is only one Scottish accent and I'm reminded of a story related on Terry Wogan's breakfast radio program many years back:
An English couple on holiday in the US were taking a meal in a diner somewhere in the south of the country when the waitress asks if they're from England. The confirm that they are. She says, "I was watching a program about Prince Charles last night and you two sound just like him." They were from Dudley and had the accent to prove it. :shock:


It's absurd that in the UK there is a notion that US people are all drivelling idiots. Or even that there is only drivelling idiots in the US and I'm reminded of a story related on a trip of mine to England many years back:
A US couple on holiday in England were taking a meal in a diner somewhere in the south of the country when the waitress asks if they're from the US. They confirm that they are. She says, "I was watching a program about George Bush last night and you two sound just like him." They were from Oregon and had the accent to prove it. :shock:

</rant>

Seriously, there are stupid people everywhere. They don't even know that they're stupid. The main reason that I have an accent that is hard to place is that not many people live here in the Northwest and so not many people *know* people from the Northwest. When you aren't exposed to an accent often enough, you don't develop an ear for the peculiarities of the language.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate
Posts: 1357
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Holme, Denmark.
Contact:

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Bobber » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

It's absurd that there is a notion in X country that people from Y country fit a certain stereotype.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Promac
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:06 am UTC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Promac » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:42 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:I said earlier that I wouldn't say it was, I'm just saying that, depending on what you refer to by "Britain" it could be included as a British accent in that Irish accents come form the British Isles. I was more ranting about the uselessness of the term "British" as anything else.


Just because there is a geographical notion of "the british isles" does not mean that Ireland is part of Britain. Great Britain = England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom = Great Britain and Northern Ireland. An irish accent isn't a british one.

I like my irish accent and, as you can probably tell, we Irish are a little touchy about the british thing.

I'm all over this thread though. I'm irish, my fiancee is from New Zealand, my mother's family is scottish and I lived in Germany for a long time. I love a nice german accent. A good haupt-deutsch accent really, the bavarian and austrian/eastern accents are too weird and the allemanisch/schweiz are too gobbledegooky.

I like scandinavian accents too. Swedish in particular. I used to think a spanish accent was sexy but now I can't think why. It sounds like they've had botox on their tongues.

I have to support the other guy though in that I've only encountered americans saying they have no accent. I make no judgement on them for it - I'm just making an observation.

WastedCharlie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:22 am UTC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby WastedCharlie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:It's absurd that in the UK there is a notion that US people are all drivelling idiots. Or even that there is only drivelling idiots in the US

Or indeed that any one type of person is the norm anywhere. Aren't stereotypes weird. But I wasn't really arguing over any cultural stereotypes, just linguistic ones. Although I didn't express it well in my post, I consider the idea that the US thinks we all sound alike to be food for thought rather than some sort of cultural attack. "Absurd" was, in retrospect, a poorly chosen word. "Unusual" might have been better.
Oregonaut wrote:
WastedCharlie wrote:...I'm reminded of a story related on Terry Wogan's breakfast radio program many years back:
An English couple on holiday in the US were taking a meal in a diner somewhere in the south of the country when the waitress asks if they're from England. The confirm that they are. She says, "I was watching a program about Prince Charles last night and you two sound just like him." They were from Dudley and had the accent to prove it. :shock:

...I'm reminded of a story related on a trip of mine to England many years back:
A US couple on holiday in England were taking a meal in a diner somewhere in the south of the country when the waitress asks if they're from the US. They confirm that they are. She says, "I was watching a program about George Bush last night and you two sound just like him." They were from Oregon and had the accent to prove it. :shock:
</rant>
Seriously, there are stupid people everywhere. They don't even know that they're stupid. The main reason that I have an accent that is hard to place is that not many people live here in the Northwest and so not many people *know* people from the Northwest. When you aren't exposed to an accent often enough, you don't develop an ear for the peculiarities of the language.

I should clarify: the story was not one of stupidity, or even of ignorance (or at least I didn't feel that it was); it's one of weirdness.
For the waitress to hear a similarity in accent between Prince Charles and the average Dudleyite is baffling, but it worked (assuming the story is true, and that she didn't just get lucky). There is no question over her intelligence.

I agree that the tale loses its edge when you consider the foreigner's inability to pick out the specifics of an unfamiliar accent. I cannot comment on the similarity of Bush's accent to that of one from Oregon, but even Wikipedia will back me up (:wink:) when I suggest that the US has a more homogenised collection of accents than the UK. Your Northwest vs. GWB's accent is one of "peculiarities" that one must develop an ear to detect, whereas the differences between HRH and the average Dudleyite is so stark that the waitress' determining that they're from the same country as Prince Charles seems unusual to the British ear, (and, I might argue, anyone's ear) let alone that they should sound just like him.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

WastedCharlie wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:It's absurd that in the UK there is a notion that US people are all drivelling idiots. Or even that there is only drivelling idiots in the US

Or indeed that any one type of person is the norm anywhere. Aren't stereotypes weird. But I wasn't really arguing over any cultural stereotypes, just linguistic ones. Although I didn't express it well in my post, I consider the idea that the US thinks we all sound alike to be food for thought rather than some sort of cultural attack. "Absurd" was, in retrospect, a poorly chosen word. "Unusual" might have been better.


Think about how you are phrasing the bolded/italicized portion. Food for thought, or cultural attack, you're still declaring that the US thinks all Brits sound the same.

Oregonaut wrote:
WastedCharlie wrote:...I'm reminded of a story related on Terry Wogan's breakfast radio program many years back:
An English couple on holiday in the US were taking a meal in a diner somewhere in the south of the country when the waitress asks if they're from England. The confirm that they are. She says, "I was watching a program about Prince Charles last night and you two sound just like him." They were from Dudley and had the accent to prove it. :shock:

...I'm reminded of a story related on a trip of mine to England many years back:
A US couple on holiday in England were taking a meal in a diner somewhere in the south of the country when the waitress asks if they're from the US. They confirm that they are. She says, "I was watching a program about George Bush last night and you two sound just like him." They were from Oregon and had the accent to prove it. :shock:
</rant>
Seriously, there are stupid people everywhere. They don't even know that they're stupid. The main reason that I have an accent that is hard to place is that not many people live here in the Northwest and so not many people *know* people from the Northwest. When you aren't exposed to an accent often enough, you don't develop an ear for the peculiarities of the language.

WastedCharlie wrote:I should clarify: the story was not one of stupidity, or even of ignorance (or at least I didn't feel that it was); it's one of weirdness.
For the waitress to hear a similarity in accent between Prince Charles and the average Dudleyite is baffling, but it worked (assuming the story is true, and that she didn't just get lucky). There is no question over her intelligence.

I agree that the tale loses its edge when you consider the foreigner's inability to pick out the specifics of an unfamiliar accent. I cannot comment on the similarity of Bush's accent to that of one from Oregon, but even Wikipedia will back me up [:wink:] when I suggest that the US has a more homogenised collection of accents than the UK. Your Northwest vs. GWB's accent is one of "peculiarities" that one must develop an ear to detect, whereas the differences between HRH and the average Dudleyite is so stark that the waitress' determining that they're from the same country as Prince Charles seems unusual to the British ear, (and, I might argue, anyone's ear) let alone that they should sound just like him.


"Dubleya" sounds nothing like a person from the Pacific Northwest. If you put us side by side and have us read the same script, we're going to sound like we're from different areas. Much the same that your average Geordie will sound nothing like Scouse. My point is that someone from outside a country will pick up on the general inflections that all people from a country share via their spoken language. Most people have a hard time telling the various versions of Spanish apart, or the various versions of Chinese-Mandarin (Cantonese being its very own language), or Japanese. Trust me, Osaka-ben sounds VERY different from Tokyo-ben, but most people will hear "Japanese". The less you are exposed to any language's dialects the less you will be able to recognize those differences. It is easy from inside a culture to notice differences, and to realize how grand they are, but if your only exposure, like in the story, is a biopic on the tele and snatches of conversation overheard as you are serving people in a restaurant, I'd excuse the individual as misinformed and move on with my day.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Ari Maze
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Ari Maze » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

I find Scottish accent very nice.

User avatar
aurumelectrum13
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:11 am UTC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby aurumelectrum13 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:00 am UTC

A Russian accent would get you nearly anywhere with me.

User avatar
Ari Maze
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Ari Maze » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

I'll take it as a compliment. -)

bane2571
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby bane2571 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:08 am UTC

Sexy accents: Russian and almost anything form the UK, though I'm not partial to Cockney.

I love how many people like the Aussie accent, having one myself. I'm also finding the arguements about not having an accent hilarious as accents are entirely relative and I basically define accent as "speaks different to me". With that kind of definition I definitely don't have an accent, everyone else does :P

User avatar
KestrelLowing
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm UTC
Location: Michigan

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

bane2571 wrote:Sexy accents: Russian and almost anything form the UK, though I'm not partial to Cockney.

I love how many people like the Aussie accent, having one myself. I'm also finding the arguements about not having an accent hilarious as accents are entirely relative and I basically define accent as "speaks different to me". With that kind of definition I definitely don't have an accent, everyone else does :P


I like that definition! :D

IcedT
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby IcedT » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

To all the Brits who don't understand how Americans can expect British English to be monolithic, here's something to put this into perspective: the United States has almost 4 million square miles of territory and only 4 major dialects. You can drive three thousand miles in this country and wind up talking to people with an accent barely distinguishable from your own. By contrast, the whole of the British Isles has a little over 100 THOUSAND square miles of land to it, yet the average American is aware of at least 3 major dialects in the area. So, frankly, I think we're being pretty generous with you. Get over yourselves.

/OT

Anyway, almost every accent I've heard, I've heard in sexy and unsexy versions, and many also come in a hilarious version. The general rule seems to be that if somebody looks and acts sexy, I'll find their accent sexy. Unless they have whatever accent it is that Sarah Palin has. I can't stand it.

User avatar
TimelordSimone
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm UTC
Location: Cambridge ish

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby TimelordSimone » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:42 pm UTC

Generally I find the accents of sexy people sexy. :P

Like, I wouldn't generally consider Scottish accents particularly sexy, but the other week I met this guy with a very strong Dundee accent and, well on him it's lovely.

I tend to think of specific cases, rather than general 'I like -this- accent' examples.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

fənɑlədʒɪst
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:14 am UTC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby fənɑlədʒɪst » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:Having lived in Georgia my entire life, including some very small towns, I've only heard the TV version of a southern accent three times. Everyone else is much closer to a neutral American accent.


You've clearly never been to Murray County. :( I've lived in Georgia since I was 7, and the dialect in Chatsworth for some speakers is just scary. I didn't learn to appreciate it until I had been gone for several years and studied linguistics in university.

User avatar
ashgray
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:59 pm UTC
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby ashgray » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:23 am UTC

I've always found the Icelandic accent sexy (especially Björk's before she started sounding vaguely British) because of how soft/airy it sounds from all the "th" sounds. I tend to like Germanic accents in general the best, with the exception of Dutch.

Having grown up in the South, it bugs me when people refer to "the southern accent", as though there's only one. There are dozens of distinct regional accents (Virginia, Charleston, Savannah, Florida Panhandle, NC/TN mountains, just to name a few) here, just like in the Northeast and Midwest and everywhere else in the country. I've been trying to maintain a neutral American accent since sometime in elementary school. However, I still pronounce pen and pin the same, say white without the h, eat PEE-cans, and use y'all most of the time (I still believe that it's the best/simplest solution to the 2nd person plural problem in English). And contrary to popular belief, the majority of people in the South either have a neutral accent or just a slight drawl.
Image

User avatar
lemma
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby lemma » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:51 am UTC

My sister maintains that her 'accent' isn't an accent at all, but just the 'standard language'. In terms of the dialectology maps she's not far off, but I don't often feel like picking a fight about it ;)

As for sexy accents - I think it depends (duh) on the speaker and which language he's speaking. A German person speaking English sounds rather different than a German person speaking Dutch, and I'm really not sure which of the two I'd find 'sexier' :mrgreen:

fənɑlədʒɪst
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:14 am UTC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby fənɑlədʒɪst » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

ashgray wrote:Having grown up in the South, it bugs me when people refer to "the southern accent", as though there's only one. There are dozens of distinct regional accents (Virginia, Charleston, Savannah, Florida Panhandle, NC/TN mountains, just to name a few) here, just like in the Northeast and Midwest and everywhere else in the country. I've been trying to maintain a neutral American accent since sometime in elementary school. However, I still pronounce pen and pin the same, say white without the h, eat PEE-cans, and use y'all most of the time (I still believe that it's the best/simplest solution to the 2nd person plural problem in English). And contrary to popular belief, the majority of people in the South either have a neutral accent or just a slight drawl.


Nobody here believes there's only one southern accent, friend. However, we have no problem grouping them as "southern" since they do, after all, generally occur in the South :P

As for pen and pin, I do the same thing.. and I'm almost entirely sure that saying "white" without the "hw" is standardized. However, if you say y'all and PEE-cans, I'm afraid you've done a poor job of keeping your dialect neutral :D Not that there's a problem with that. Dialects are amazing. Oh, and like I said in a previous post, I seriously disagree with your assertion that the "majority" of people in the South have neutral accents or slight drawls. You must have grown up in an affluent area or have spent too long in university to remember what it's like to live in places with more cows than people. Anywhere in rural Georgia you'll be amazed at how non-standard everyone is. If you're on XKCD, I think it's safe to assume that you probably don't associate very much with the average Southerner :p

Or hey, maybe I'm just biased because Georgia and Alabama have some of the most extreme dialects. When I talk to people from other "Southern" states, I tend to not even think of them as Southern. Florida, for example, doesn't count as "Southern" in my book. Georgia just blows it out of the water.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby azule » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:56 pm UTC

I'm from California and I have no accent (because they speak like us in movies! :mrgreen: ). We might just have a distinct dialect, but the pronunciation of words seems rather normal.

Sometimes I have issues saying words (where you couldn't tell if I said "fine" or "fun") but they're corrected next time I talk and I don't think they're related to where I'm from (just to how weak my enunciations are).
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

RabbitWho
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 10:16 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby RabbitWho » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:33 am UTC

WastedCharlie wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:I said earlier that I wouldn't say it was, I'm just saying that, depending on what you refer to by "Britain" it could be included as a British accent in that Irish accents come form the British Isles. I was more ranting about the uselessness of the term "British" as anything else.

It's absurd that in the US there is a notion that British people have one accent. Or even that there is only one Scottish accent and I'm reminded of a story related on Terry Wogan's breakfast radio program many years back:
An English couple on holiday in the US were taking a meal in a diner somewhere in the south of the country when the waitress asks if they're from England. The confirm that they are. She says, "I was watching a program about Prince Charles last night and you two sound just like him." They were from Dudley and had the accent to prove it. :shock:


Well if you don't pronounce your Rs...

I'm%20from%20California%20and%20I%20have%20no%20accent%20(because%20they%20speak%20like%20us%20in%20movies!%20%20).%20We%20might%20just%20have%20a%20distinct%20dialect,%20but%20the%20pronunciation%20of%20words%20seems%20rather%20normal.


That's so fecking cute, you realize that I wouldn't be able to differentiate between your accent and that of Cleetus from the Simpsons?

Vo2max
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Vo2max » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:53 pm UTC

Scottish seems to be doing well - personally I'd specify an Edinburgh voice for a woman. Definitely not a Glasgow one. I really like the accent of someone whose first language is Scottish Gaelic speaking English, either sex. For a man: a Richard Burton-esque old-style-posh-Welsh voice, I don't think anyone actually speaks like that anymore though!

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby azule » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

RabbitWho wrote:
I'm from California and I have no accent (because they speak like us in movies! ). We might just have a distinct dialect, but the pronunciation of words seems rather normal.


That's so fecking cute, you realize that I wouldn't be able to differentiate between your accent and that of Cleetus from the Simpsons?

I hope you're sincere (on the "cute" part), I'm somewhat honored (being a Simpsons fan) and yet...also, insulted. lol.

The difference is that I do know how to speak more properly, I just choose not to. I'm speaking more softly, which degrades my grammar a bunch. lol.

Actually, I'm not even sure that I speak this way, that's the way I type. I'm probably more likely to slip in more words when I talk, typing just takes more effort, so once the idea is expressed it's time to type something else. *shrug*
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Slavaa
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:59 pm UTC
Location: A certain Island, named after a certain Prince Edward

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Slavaa » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

I find most accents from the British isles sexy, except for cockney. Very thick cockney makes me want to vomit.

The human peasants in WarCraft III... Ugh.

Also sexy: Swedish, and a few other European ones.

anto1
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:09 am UTC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby anto1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:54 am UTC

I think that the French accent is very charming and I guess I am not the only one who thinks that way (people from France always have an accent, no matter how long they have been learning another language). But I also like the British accent, I think it sounds very posh.

User avatar
handiangel
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 7:19 am UTC
Location: Bath, UK

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby handiangel » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

This debate over whether people can tell or not whether they have an accent... well, I though I just had a generic Brit accent, because I have no major 'famous' accent, but it's not RP (quite). When I got to uni, I was told I was apparently wrong. However, my friend with the strongest south London (think EastEnders) accent fully believed she had no accent... I sort of think it's to do with whether you can hear your own accent, and how much contact you have with those of other accents. Doesn't make either of us ignorant of other cultures/regions/whatever though, just perhaps a bit naive about our own accents.

And on the topic of sexy accents. Ewan McGregor's accent, a Scottish (Edinburgh) accent is amazing. Not a great fan of Northern Irish, or Valleys' Welsh... they are not good accents. American accents, I'm just sort of indifferent to the majority. Not offensive, but not 'sexy'.

I like listening to the NZ accent, but don't find it especially sexy. And the French on English accent is awesome...

User avatar
Whistling Nixie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:24 am UTC
Location: Idiocracy

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Whistling Nixie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

Somehow I like the sound of the Manchester accent (too much Smiths and Joy Division, perhaps?)... and the accent of British-derived South Africans from the Durban area, for some reason.

stemlir25
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:29 am UTC
Location: NY

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby stemlir25 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Russian and French :D

User avatar
TheNorm05
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:36 pm UTC
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby TheNorm05 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:34 am UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:The accents that I'm not thrilled with is the American southern accent. For some reason it is so hard to take people who talk with that accent seriously.

Well screw you too, yankee.

No, I'm kidding. Your mistake is that you think the "southern accent" you hear on TV actually exists. Having lived in Georgia my entire life, including some very small towns, I've only heard the TV version of a southern accent three times. Everyone else is much closer to a neutral American accent.
From what people who travel a lot have told me, I'm led to believe that most of the accents people speak with on TV are completely bunk. Usually resting somewhere between exaggerated and stereotypical.

I've always thought that New Zealanders have a pretty cool accent. I don't know that I'd call it a sexy accent per se, but I think it sounds cool.


Actually, the "southern accent does exist in Texas to some degree. More so in east and west Texas in the boonies. I actually had and English teacher with a think southern accent. I think what it is is that while we don't sound like Yosemite Sam, we do have slight accents even in the city. It just so happens that mine is closer to inner city Hispanic than anything else.. guey.

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3459
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:02 am UTC

While obviously it is a bit nonsensical to seek an accent that is "not an accent," it makes some sense to find a "neutral accent" that is intelligible to as many English speakers as possible. Of course, this goal necessarily results in "neutral" accents being pretty close to GA, but that isn't necessarily a flaw.

In the US, most national broadcasters have accents very similar to those coming out of Nebraska (and in fact many come from that region), which tends not to have any "exotic" sounds and no drawl and is pretty easily understood by all Americans. I suspect it is quite easily understood internationally, too.

In the UK, it seems most broadcasters have something very close to RP (incidentally, I just looked up RP on Wikipedia and it says it is also called "BBC English" :)) for similar reasons, and again, it is pretty easily understood internationally.

However, the biggest and fastest growing anglophone population is in India, which uses British spellings and has some distinctly British pronunciations. I find English spoken by a native Indian the most difficult to understand (excepting dialects and slang of course), but there are some Scots and even some Irish that can be pretty hard to understand.


By the way, what do Brits think about AAVE? I imagine it might be tough to understand when you have very little experience hearing it.


E: I have heard many times that I have a (slight) Canadian accent. I have no idea why, but apparently my Mom does too. No clue where we could have picked it up. Apparently it has to do with the way I pronounce "out" and such, but it's not something I would really ever notice. It's certainly a far cry from the "oot" I kept hearing in Ontario.

User avatar
Monika
Welcoming Aarvark
Posts: 3672
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am UTC
Location: Germany, near Heidelberg
Contact:

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Monika » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:04 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:Even German can be pretty sexy.

Image

I think French accents (when speaking German) are sexy by definition.
How does it sound when French speak English?

Russian and other Slavic accents sound totally unsexy. (Sorry Slavic-language people.)

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

Izawwlgood wrote:I forget the nationality, but a dude once yelled at me to "Throw me down the stairs my shoes", which was pretty cool.

And what's wrong with that? Image

In NZ, my girlfriend and I cracked up everytime the radio announcer pronounced 'debut' as 'day-boo' (rather than 'day-bue')

Which is right, isn't it? It's French, after all. Image

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

Promac wrote:I love a nice german accent. A good haupt-deutsch accent really, the bavarian and austrian/eastern accents are too weird and the allemanisch/schweiz are too gobbledegooky.

You mean Hochdeutsch?

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

Dunboyne Affcot wrote:I enjoy German accents. I've heard people saying the German language sounds so harsh and angry but I think that could be cultural stereotyping shining through, just quietly.

I think this is because in German final -b -d -g -s [z] -v/-w are devoiced to -p -t -k -s [s] -f. My American host mother, when trying to learn a bit of German, eventually yelled out "Are there no soft sounds in this language?!" Well yes, there are, but only in the beginning of syllables (plus l/m/n, which cannot be devoiced). This becomes so ingrained in the brain that Germans when learning English also devoice the final letters in English, so we have a hard time distinguishing send/sent, build/built, log/lock or dog/dock.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

@Thread: Why is there always so much quarrelling in this forum about American accents, British accents, and the existence of many different regional accents? There is such a thing as British English and American English. Like it or not, Irish speak British English. Yeah, saying "You sound "just like" Prince Charles / George Bush and this is how I knew you are British / American" is a simplification or abstraction. We communicate in simplifications/abstractions. When not writing in linguistic forums, nobody would say/write "You speak a variety of English with enough features in common with Prince Charles '/ George Bushs' speech that indicated to me that you are also from the British Isles / North America". Using a simplification/abstraction is a very normal thing and does not mean that the American / the British person saying this is stupid and does not realize that there is more than one British dialect/accent / American dialect/accent.
Imagine this conversation:
Me: blablabla
Native English Speaker: You must be from Germany.
Me: How did you know?
NAS: You have a German accent.
Me: Waaah rant rant rant there is no such thing as a German accent rant rant rant I have such and such German accent from such and such region rant rant rant how do you dare make a general statement about all Germans' accents rant rant rant.
NAS: Image Time to up your medication?
Last edited by Monika on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:10 pm UTC

Because there is a level of intellectuality associated with the different accents here in the States. Dubbleya's accent made him sound like the ignorant buffoon he was. To say that I sound like that would be considered an insult.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3459
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
In NZ, my girlfriend and I cracked up everytime the radio announcer pronounced 'debut' as 'day-boo' (rather than 'day-bue')

Which is right, isn't it? It's French, after all. Image


Yeah in French the pronunciation is pretty close to "day-boo." But of course it is never pronounced that way in English (or almost never, I suppose).

I think this is because in German final -b -d -g -s [z] -v/-w are devoiced to -p -t -k -s [s] -f. My American host mother, when trying to learn a bit of German, eventually yelled out "Are there no soft sounds in this language?!" Well yes, there are, but only in the beginning of syllables (plus l/m/n, which cannot be devoiced). This becomes so ingrained in the brain that Germans when learning English also devoice the final letters in English, so we have a hard time distinguishing send/sent, build/built, log/lock or dog/dock.


I don't think voiced sounds are considered any softer than unvoiced sounds though, at least in English. I think it has more to do with the fact that final plosives are hit very hard in German and probably some other reasons, too. I find German to be very harsh sounding.

User avatar
Monika
Welcoming Aarvark
Posts: 3672
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am UTC
Location: Germany, near Heidelberg
Contact:

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Monika » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

Hm, in German b d g are considered soft and p t k are considered hard.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

stolid
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:18 am UTC
Location: 25th state

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby stolid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:53 pm UTC

I like French, Russian, German, etc (can you spot the pattern?) accented women speaking English.
Registered Linux User #555399

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3459
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Eebster the Great » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:10 am UTC

stolid wrote:I like French, Russian, German, etc (can you spot the pattern?)

No.

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Grop » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:20 am UTC

Monika wrote:I think French accents (when speaking German) are sexy by definition.


I also think a German accent is sexy when speaking French :).

User avatar
Monika
Welcoming Aarvark
Posts: 3672
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:03 am UTC
Location: Germany, near Heidelberg
Contact:

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Monika » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

stolid wrote:I like French, Russian, German, etc (can you spot the pattern?)

No idea what that pattern could be.


Grop wrote:I also think a German accent is sexy when speaking French :).

For real? I always thought we kind of mutilate this beautiful language.
Last edited by Monika on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Grop » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

For real, but some of you do :P.

omgsrsly
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:14 am UTC

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby omgsrsly » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:30 am UTC

People (non-NZers) often say that New Zealand accents are sexy. Supposedly it's won sexiest accent awards (....not entirely sure how that works..isn't it subjective?) But I'm from NZ and I taught myself to speak with a more neutral accent because I think we sound ridiculous

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 3459
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 am UTC

omgsrsly wrote:People (non-NZers) often say that New Zealand accents are sexy. Supposedly it's won sexiest accent awards (....not entirely sure how that works..isn't it subjective?) But I'm from NZ and I taught myself to speak with a more neutral accent because I think we sound ridiculous

Ridiculous and sexy often go hand-in-hand.

User avatar
charolastra
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby charolastra » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

I am partial to a home counties English accent. It's what I grew up hearing from friends (of varied poshness) and so I associate it with all good things.

Also up on the list is Mexican in English, Chilango (Mexico City) in Spanish, Spanish in English, Icelandic in English, Boston, genteel coastal Southern (ie Charleston, Savannah), Russian men but not women, and Edinburgh Scottish.

As far as my own accent, people often have no idea where I am from unless they listen extraordinarily carefully. I grew up north of Atlanta in the boonies to parents with heavy Boston accents. Since Atlanta became a city of transplants, a lot of the Southern accents went away and the "standard" accent, to me, sounds akin to some stereotypical California accents. I still hold some of vowels longer than I should and pitch them up more than in standard American English- particularly words like Carolina. It is, of course, much worse when I am with other Southerners.

stolid
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:18 am UTC
Location: 25th state

Re: Sexy Accents?

Postby stolid » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:00 am UTC

stolid wrote:I like French, Russian, German, etc (can you spot the pattern?) accented women speaking English.

By that I was referring to most foreign accents speaking English as their second language. Especially if their language is phonetic. I'd say French and Russian take the cake.
Registered Linux User #555399


Return to “Language/Linguistics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests