Think Before Naming Your Child

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Re: Think Before Naming Your Child

Postby Lazar » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

Zefram is a pretty cool name.
Exit the vampires' castle.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:Mike Oxlong was mentioned on the radio the other day. Toby Larone complained, and Amil Keyway was fired over it.

I can't figure out "Toby Larone". :oops:
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

Sounds like Toblerone. I can't imagine a parent wanting the first thought upon others meeting their child to be "Delicious!"

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:58 am UTC

Lazar wrote:Zefram is a pretty cool name.

And within the first line of text in that wiki article we encounter a man with the last name "Coon".
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

fullmoonmidget

Postby fullmoonmidget » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

Do NOT name your kids after yourself.

I'm going out myself as a teenager.
Leah, from Teen mom 2.
Her twin daughters are Ali and Alleah.
Really? You had months to come up with names and not only did give them essentially the same name, you gave them YOUR name.

When I think about baby names(for at least 6 years in the future) I want names that work with the middle name, have lots of possible nicknames, and no opportunities for bad abbreviations. Some alternate spellings, but pretty traditional names.

However, one of my favorite boy names is Artemis. I'm thinking I'll give him a J middle name so we can call him AJ.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:44 am UTC

Isn't Artemis a girl's name?

Hope_

Postby Hope_ » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:11 am UTC

Artemis Fowl?! Definitely not a girl. I think it can be either.
Whelan wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Damn baby, you're so wet!
Shakespeare was British.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:18 am UTC

Artemis Fowl notwithstanding, it was the name of a Greek goddess, so I definitely wouldn't use it for a male.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:42 am UTC

Eh, Artemis Fowl is a boy and Narcissa Malfoy is a woman. There's no reason that ancient Greek names really have to stay with the right gender.

Actually, I was talking with my teacher in Psychology today about the Narcissa thing. We were discussing in class how genders can play a role in the diagnosis of psychological disorders -- males are traditionally more likely to be diagnosed as narcissistic. But my classmates and I hear that term and we almost immediately think of Narcissa Malfoy, a woman. So we theorized that Harry Potter may actually change the gender bias of narcissism from men to women. Though, I'm in a Harry Potter obsessed year of a Harry Potter obsessed school, so maybe that's not a prevalent as it seems.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Makri

Postby Makri » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:59 am UTC

It seems that Artemis is also used as a female name in modern Greek, though. At least I know a Greek woman with that name.

And obviously, Narcissa has received a female ending, so no problem about that...
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:05 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Isn't Artemis a girl's name?

I see what you did there...(I think?)
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:15 pm UTC

Isn't Artemis one of the three/four Musketeers? *looks up* Oh no, that's Aramis.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Von Haus

Postby Von Haus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

My surname is "House" that already rules out a lot of potential future child names.

And as for an example of bad (or brilliant :P) child naming, the computing technician at secondary school, Mr Walker, named his daughter Anabelle Sky. He was awesome.

I really like Pandora as a girl's name though.
A bee sees Dee 'effigy' Hitch, I 'Jay' kill, amen OP, queue arresty UV double, you ex-wizard!

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

Von Haus wrote:My surname is "House" that already rules out a lot of potential future child names.

You should name your child "Electro," for sure.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

Von Haus wrote:My surname is "House" that already rules out a lot of potential future child names.

You could go with something normal, like Gregory. 8)
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
-Sexy

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:04 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:

You could go with something normal, like Gregory. 8)

If he goes by Greg, few people would notice the reference.

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:22 am UTC

Speaking of references to TV characters, my roommate's name is Joshua R. Ewing. My parents were big fans of Dallas. When I told them his name my dad was quick to point out that it was J. R. Ewing. This had never occurred to me. His school email is even "jrewing@...". I'm pretty sure it was unintentional.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:45 am UTC

My old housemate Blake was named after Blake's 7, as his mum was a huge sci-fi fan. I'm not sure who his brother and sister Luke and Leia are named after.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:47 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Blake.
Many years ago, I somehow picked up on the idea of Blame for a boy's name. I... still... kinda like it, even though it's a horrible name to inflict on someone.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:50 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I'm not sure who his brother and sister Luke and Leia are named after.

:P I remember years ago seeing a website about names that said Leia didn't seem to exist as a name, at least not in any significant numbers, until after Star Wars.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:Many years ago, I somehow picked up on the idea of Blame for a boy's name. I... still... kinda like it, even though it's a horrible name to inflict on someone.

I hear "Blane" can be a first name. That's close enough.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:
Felstaff wrote:I'm not sure who his brother and sister Luke and Leia are named after.

:P I remember years ago seeing a website about names that said Leia didn't seem to exist as a name, at least not in any significant numbers, until after Star Wars.

I've already mentioned it in this thread, but I know a Luke who's sister is Leah, and was going to have another brother called Ben, until the grandparents vetoed any more star wars references.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

klausok

Postby klausok » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 am UTC

Poochy wrote:Amcher - named for the Albany Medical Center Hospital Emergency Room

According to a persistent legend, a girl born during the bombadment of Copenhagen in 1807 was named Raquetta Bombardina. So far no one has managed to find proof in the official registers, but one searcher found these:

Bombardus Ehrenfried Hebert Johansen
August Bombardinus Lindholm
Hanna Juliane Bombardina Johansdatter
Bellona Bombardine Petersdatter
Peter Forsete Bombardus Hendrichsen Holm

Bellona was born two months after the bombardment. I don't have dates for the others.

Bellona was a Roman godess, war personified, so the name is almost as "good" as Raquetta.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:

I've already mentioned it in this thread, but I know a Luke who's sister is Leah, and was going to have another brother called Ben, until the grandparents vetoed any more star wars references.

I'm pretty sure grandparents don't get veto rights.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

Who said anything about rights?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:40 pm UTC

I can't get to youtube now because I'm at work :oops: but you should watch "How to Name Your Child" (I think that's right) by vlogbrothers. If I remember, I'll link it once I get home.

I fully intend to follow all those rules - especially the one about checking the popularity. As my parents didn't have the internet when I was born, I guess I have to forgive them, but until there were only 2-3 girls in my classes, someone else always had my name. And thanks to an annoying pop singer, it will soon be regulated to an 'old ladies name' - similar to Gladys and Mildrid.

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:I can't get to youtube now because I'm at work :oops: but you should watch "How to Name Your Child" (I think that's right) by vlogbrothers. If I remember, I'll link it once I get home.

I fully intend to follow all those rules - especially the one about checking the popularity. As my parents didn't have the internet when I was born, I guess I have to forgive them, but until there were only 2-3 girls in my classes, someone else always had my name. And thanks to an annoying pop singer, it will soon be regulated to an 'old ladies name' - similar to Gladys and Mildrid.

That does sound annoying. But there's another side to unique names that's good to consider: will people be able to pronounce/spell it? Maybe you don't care, but if people aren't familiar with your name, it CAN get really annoying at times.

My experience with having the name "Kaiya," in a spoiler tag because you might not care. =P
Spoiler:
When introducing myself to people, I'll often have to repeat my name once or twice. Of course, maybe I'm just quiet and people can't understand me, but that doesn't explain why people usually can't read it correctly the first time. (This is most common when a teacher is taking attendance in the first few sessions of a class.) On the other hand, people often can't spell it if they know it by sound. Heck, occasionally, people still can't spell it even after I tell them how (though, granted, "I" and "Y" sound very similar). Some people have remarked that they can't believe so many people get it wrong, but that's what happens.

Not that it's a bad name; I certainly don't hate it. People often tell me that they think it's pretty. And I've gotten used to all the correcting by now, but it used to really bug me.

I'm not saying you shouldn't give your child a unique name. I'm just saying that if you do, she may have to answer a lot of questions/do a lot of correcting, depending on what it is. ;)
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

Also, you should teach your child the NATO phonetic alphabet.

Then again, maybe you should anyway.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

fullmoonmidget

Postby fullmoonmidget » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Isn't Artemis a girl's name?

It is. She's the Greek Goddess of war, but I feel that it's a more masculine name. IF by some twist of fate I end up having a set of Fraternal twins, one boy one girl, I'll name him Artemis and give her the middle name Apollo.

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:43 am UTC

And not all common names escape the difficult-spelling phenomenon, either. My name is extremely common: it's been in the top 1000 names since 1949 and top 100 since 1989, and it's been top ten since '01. The shortened version of my name has three common spellings and countless non-standard spellings (I can think of seven off the top of my head, but I encounter a new one about every two years).

Because of this, when I was little (pre-fifth grade), even though my parents gave me a standard spelling, everyone spelled it wrong. I'd get notes from teachers and awards and newspaper articles with my name spelled a few ways, none of them ever right. So, when I moved in fifth grade, I decided that because everyone would get it wrong anyway, I might as well make it unique, so I changed it to a form I had never seen. Not only did everyone start spelling it how it used to be spelled, I know three other girls at my school with the same spelling as I use. *sigh*
-Sexy

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Aightynine wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:I can't get to youtube now because I'm at work :oops: but you should watch "How to Name Your Child" (I think that's right) by vlogbrothers. If I remember, I'll link it once I get home.

That does sound annoying. But there's another side to unique names that's good to consider: will people be able to pronounce/spell it? Maybe you don't care, but if people aren't familiar with your name, it CAN get really annoying at times.

My experience with having the name "Kaiya," in a spoiler tag because you might not care. =P
Spoiler:
When introducing myself to people, I'll often have to repeat my name once or twice. Of course, maybe I'm just quiet and people can't understand me, but that doesn't explain why people usually can't read it correctly the first time. (This is most common when a teacher is taking attendance in the first few sessions of a class.) On the other hand, people often can't spell it if they know it by sound. Heck, occasionally, people still can't spell it even after I tell them how (though, granted, "I" and "Y" sound very similar). Some people have remarked that they can't believe so many people get it wrong, but that's what happens.

Not that it's a bad name; I certainly don't hate it. People often tell me that they think it's pretty. And I've gotten used to all the correcting by now, but it used to really bug me.

I'm not saying you shouldn't give your child a unique name. I'm just saying that if you do, she may have to answer a lot of questions/do a lot of correcting, depending on what it is. ;)

Oh, certainly. If I ever have children, they will probably receive a name that's ranked in the upper hundreds or lower thousands. Still popular enough that it's easily pronounceable, but not so popular that there will definitely be someone with that name in their 1st grade class. Name that I think are currently like this are Joel, Blake, Jill, Oliver, etc. although I could be wrong concerning the relative popularity as evidently Olivia is a popular name now. (I was under the impression that was an old-fogy name!) While I probably wouldn't choose any of those particular names, something in that skein would be nice.

Also, I would attempt to find a name that didn't have many variations of spelling. I have seen my name spelled in at least 10 different ways. I have the traditional spelling, but there are 4 variations that are used quite frequently (one or 2 t's, -any or -ney) so my name was almost always spelled wrong. Add that to a last name that hardly anyone can figure out (I don't know why - it's very easy) and you get an annoyed elementary student. I'm used to it now, but I'd like to spare any kid that annoyance if I can.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:02 pm UTC

If you give your child an unspellable name or you happen to have one as the last name, you should be required to print business cards for your kid when it enters primary school :D .
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

I've just gotten into the habit of introducing myself as "Owain [Surname] O. W. A. I. N.", especially to people who have to look me up on a register or something.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 pm UTC

Whelan wrote:I've just gotten into the habit of introducing myself as "Owain [Surname] O. W. A. I. N."

Yeah, Especially with the Welsh long O and clipped w, I'd probably type in O. Wayne Surname, and wonder what crimes you've committed.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:42 pm UTC

Ahh, but having lived in England for all my 18 years, I pronounce it the same as Owen.
Weeks wrote:

ATrueCanadianBrit

Postby ATrueCanadianBrit » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

Personally, I think that you should give your children as many names as is legally possible, especially if you want them to be more autonomous or a famous actor/writer.

Consider John Wyndham: (author of Day of the Triffids, the Chrysalids, etc.)

His full name is John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris. In his life time, he published books under the names John Beynon, Lucas Parkes and John Wyndham.

I'd certainly have loved to have 5-7 names, so that I could pick and choose combinations to go as.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

La-a.

trollface.jpg
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

ATrueCanadianBrit wrote:Personally, I think that you should give your children as many names as is legally possible, especially if you want them to be more autonomous or a famous actor/writer.

Consider John Wyndham: (author of Day of the Triffids, the Chrysalids, etc.)

His full name is John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris. In his life time, he published books under the names John Beynon, Lucas Parkes and John Wyndham.

I'd certainly have loved to have 5-7 names, so that I could pick and choose combinations to go as.

Or you can just pick your own pseudonyms or change your name as an adult.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:06 pm UTC

I have two middle names, and it's pretty awesome.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:I have two middle names, and it's pretty awesome.

You too? //Cross internet high-five.//
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Return to “Language/Linguistics”