A name for this phenomenon? (ambiguous meanings of "no")

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Sunsnail

A name for this phenomenon? (ambiguous meanings of "no")

Postby Sunsnail » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:11 pm UTC

In this conversation:

"This website benefits everybody. It's win-win."
"You don't see many of those anymore."

it doesn't matter whether or not I say "nope" or "yep", the meaning will be the same. I will be agreeing with the statement above.

Is there a name for this?

masher

Re: Is there a name for this phenomenon?

Postby masher » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:25 pm UTC

Sunsnail wrote:In this conversation:

it doesn't matter whether or not I say "nope" or "yep", the meaning will be the same. I will be agreeing with the statement above.

Is there a name for this?

It can also depend on how you phrase your answer:

"Yeah, you don't see many of those."; or
"Nope, you do, they're everywhere."

That's almost as good as the phrase "yeah, nah" that everyone says around here.

mekon

Postby mekon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:34 am UTC

It's an English-only thing. In Japanese, for example, if you want to concur you have to be affirmative.
-mekon

"Facts are the enemy of truth"

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:53 am UTC

mekon wrote:It's an English-only thing. In Japanese, for example, if you want to concur you have to be affirmative.

Not English only, it's in Swedish too for example, but it's not in all languages.

That said, I don't know if there's a name for it.

Mad_Gouki

Postby Mad_Gouki » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

the term is Litotes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litotes
it comes from negating the opposite of a claim instead of making the actual claim.
for example
"That was no big deal."
"That's not bad."
Litotes are not exactly what you are talking about, but Litotes can be (and often are) the thing you are refering to.
Also, just so you know, there is no singular form for the word Litotes, don't even try to look for one, it is no walk in the park.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:07 pm UTC

Mad_Gouki wrote:it comes from negating the opposite of a claim instead of making the actual claim.

But that's not exactly what's happening here, is it? Regardless of whether the response is yes or no, it's still affirming the claim. None of them is a negation.

Mad_Gouki

Postby Mad_Gouki » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

Dingbats wrote:
Mad_Gouki wrote:it comes from negating the opposite of a claim instead of making the actual claim.

But that's not exactly what's happening here, is it? Regardless of whether the response is yes or no, it's still affirming the claim. None of them is a negation.

It is a side effect of using Litotes.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:02 pm UTC

Mad_Gouki wrote:
Dingbats wrote:

Explain further?

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

Dingbats wrote:

...as happens in all Litotes.

Mad_Gouki

Postby Mad_Gouki » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

Dingbats wrote:
Mad_Gouki wrote:
Dingbats wrote:

Explain further?

I do not know the name for a sentence structured so that a yes or no both confirms the statement, but I think it has to do with the litotes.
"That wasn't hard"
"He does not understand"
"My computer is not crappy"
you could restate the sentences without negating their opposites, thereby removing the ambiguity in the reply.
"That was easy"
"He is confused"
"My computer RAWKS" :twisted:

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:21 am UTC

Oh, you mean the litotes is in the original statement. Right.

Ari

Postby Ari » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:29 pm UTC

Some languages, like german, have a special contradictory version of the word yes that you can use in this sort of situation that doesn't agree with the statement. (German's is "Doch") The best English equivalent is saying something like "Oh yes it is!"
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:27 pm UTC

Ari wrote:Some languages, like german, have a special contradictory version of the word yes that you can use in this sort of situation that doesn't agree with the statement. (German's is "Doch") The best English equivalent is saying something like "Oh yes it is!"

Well, you can say "affirmative" or "negative" in English, with removes ambiguity (but makes you sound like a robot in a bad SF movie).

Ari

Postby Ari » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
Ari wrote:Some languages, like german, have a special contradictory version of the word yes that you can use in this sort of situation that doesn't agree with the statement. (German's is "Doch") The best English equivalent is saying something like "Oh yes it is!"

Well, you can say "affirmative" or "negative" in English, with removes ambiguity (but makes you sound like a robot in a bad SF movie).

Not really, it has the exactly same abiguity of whether the "affirmative" is agreeable or contradictory. ;) The BEST way to deal with it is to simply say "I agree" or "I disagree". ;)
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:55 am UTC

In French this would be "si".
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

Ari wrote:
zenten wrote:

Not really, it has the exactly same abiguity of whether the "affirmative" is agreeable or contradictory. ;) The BEST way to deal with it is to simply say "I agree" or "I disagree". ;)

No, saying "affirmative" means that the statement was correct. Saying "correct" is another way of doing it.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:12 am UTC

Mad_Gouki wrote:
Dingbats wrote:
Mad_Gouki wrote:
Dingbats wrote:

Explain further?

I do not know the name for a sentence structured so that a yes or no both confirms the statement, but I think it has to do with the litotes.
"That wasn't hard"
"He does not understand"
"My computer is not crappy"
you could restate the sentences without negating their opposites, thereby removing the ambiguity in the reply.
"That was easy"
"He is confused"
"My computer RAWKS" :twisted:
"do you mind if I eat this?"

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:02 am UTC

4=5 wrote:"do you mind if I eat this?"

Yes, I do mind (as in DON'T EAT IT).
No, I don't mind (as in GO AHEAD AND EAT IT).

That's not really an example of what we're looking at, although the 'do you mind' questions are sometimes confusing.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:17 pm UTC

I think with "Do you mind" questions, you'll usually say more than just yes or no (or at least I do). "No, go ahead." "Yes, that's fine." "Yes, I do mind."
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

armorsmith42

Postby armorsmith42 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:38 am UTC

I'd just say, "don't" the answer to his question, "yes, I mind if you eat this." is implied.

iI works inversely for, "go ahead."
I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul

6.626068 × 10-34 m^2 kg / s

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

yes welsh never has this ambiguity because there is no direct translation for yes or no. you have to repeat the verb from the question

e.g. i do or i don't, i have or i have not
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:01 am UTC

Is there a name for this phenomenon?

Yes - it's called the "tantalizingly-vague headline", and I must follow.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Sunsnail wrote:In this conversation:

If I reply with 'nope' to that ... how am I agreeing?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:20 am UTC

that's not what you'd be responding to it's the

Ari

Postby Ari » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

Dingbats wrote:

It's because English doesn't have a contradictory form of "no" or "yes." In German, if you said "ja" to such a statement, you'd be agreeing with it, but if you said "doch!", you'd be disagreeing. Both of those words technically mean "yes", although "doch!" is more equivilent to "Oh yes you do!"

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

4=5 wrote:that's not what you'd be responding to it's the

Ohhh.
Haha. I thought it was two examples, not one. My bad.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

proof_man

Postby proof_man » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

edit
Last edited by proof_man on Fri May 17, 2013 12:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dextrose

Postby Dextrose » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:36 am UTC

zomgmouse wrote:
4=5 wrote:"do you mind if I eat this?"

Yes, I do mind (as in DON'T EAT IT).
No, I don't mind (as in GO AHEAD AND EAT IT).

That's not really an example of what we're looking at, although the 'do you mind' questions are sometimes confusing.

Well, there's two (major) ways of answering in the affirmative in english - yes and yeah. Yes is the formal, so its meaning is closer to "affirmative," yeah being closer to "positive." So to me:
"Yes." - closer to "Yes, I mind."
"Yeah." - closer to "All right."
Neither of these is really acceptable in my mind because it's so ambiguous. My unambigous answers are "(Yes/yeah), I do (mind.)" OR "(No/nah), go ahead."

I just posted in the Official English thread about something like this, basically talking about how there's no panacea Definition of English either in literal denotation or grammar. Every instance where you'd use 'yep/yup/yes/yeah/yea/aye/uh-huh'/'nope/no/nah/nay/nu-uh' is a case unto itself and requires specific examination, because they can all mean different things in different places. This (the original topic) is a particularly strange case because 'yep' and 'nope' are both acceptable because they point to different things, and thus other words are needed to "anchor" the meaning of the sentence if any other meaning is necessary.

So. Can we get back to the man's original question, is there a name for the grammatical case? I'm guessing there isn't. There should be, though. To be clear, we're looking for what to call "the phenomenon" of being able to communicate agreement to a question or statement which concerns a negative by answering either "yes" or "no;" in this case, "yes" is in its standard form, agreeing with the second person, while "no" affirms the negative the second person has delivered.
Buda, sevmekten, güçlüğü keşfemelidi; severek, budayı olmuş.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:53 am UTC

I think that's because it's not a question that's being responded to.

But that thing from the other thread was like "do you not go to the club anymore?" and I think the correct answer is "yes, I don't." However, I know that both would work, and the only thing that changes it is your intonation. Both yes and no would work for either meaning.

In the example from this OP I think Nope would be a better answer. Yup would sound funny to me.

Name for it? Keine Anung, but I'll ask around (my mom, a professor here, whoever I find).

I usually say "no" if someone says, "do you mind ..." and my casual tone indicates to them what I mean.
And I'm -2.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

In German, you can answer all negative questions with either "ja" (yes) or "nein" (no) and it means the same. E.g. "Aren't there any apples left?" => no matter if you say ja or nein, there aren't any left. (Saying "nein" is correct, saying "ja" is much more common.) There is a special word for "yes" in response to negative questions, "doch", to express the opposite, i.e. you're wrong, there *are* apples left, you just didn't look in the right place.

So when we learned in English class that answering yes to a negative questions expresses opposition, like "doch", we all had serious trouble with this. It feels soooo wrong. I simply refused to believe my teacher and didn't use that for I think another one to three years ... must have confused my British host parents to no end. The only thing I ever found so hard was shaking one's head for yes and nodding for no in Greece (this year).
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

HareichiSan

Postby HareichiSan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:17 am UTC

I'm sure there is, I'm just stupid, so I wouldn't know.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:24 am UTC

HareichiSan wrote:I'm sure there is, I'm just stupid, so I wouldn't know.

That's all you have to say after 29 other posts thoroughly debating the topic?
You're basically not contributing at all.
What's the point of taking the time to post when the post does not contain any relevant information?
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:35 am UTC

Bobber wrote:
HareichiSan wrote:I'm sure there is, I'm just stupid, so I wouldn't know.

That's all you have to say after 29 other posts thoroughly debating the topic?
You're basically not contributing at all.
What's the point of taking the time to post when the post does not contain any relevant information?

Said the pot to the kettle. teehee

You know, I've been studying German through 8 levels now, and I never understood the purpose of the word "doch" until just now. Thank you!
On topic: how does one go about looking up these kinds of things, beyond asking someone knowledgeable? Reverse reference books would be magnificent if they existed.

EDIT:: I'm a moron... spelling and improper use of quotation
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

Schmorgluck

Postby Schmorgluck » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:24 am UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:yes welsh never has this ambiguity because there is no direct translation for yes or no. you have to repeat the verb from the question

e.g. i do or i don't, i have or i have not

Interestingly (and unsurprisingly), it's also the case in Breton. Well, almost: there are equivalents to "yes" and "no" ("ia" and "nann"), but as far as I know they are barely used except for extra insistence (maybe they are imported words, I'm not sure), and aside from that the way to answer a question is the same as in Welsh.

Monika wrote:So when we learned in English class that answering yes to a negative questions expresses opposition, like "doch", we all had serious trouble with this. It feels soooo wrong. I simply refused to believe my teacher and didn't use that for I think another one to three years ... must have confused my British host parents to no end.

I see your point: being French and having learned German before English, being taught there is no specific word to contradict a negative sentence in English kinda confused me.

Fryie

Postby Fryie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:50 am UTC

As for the "do you mind...?" question: I'm not a native speaker, but the thing I'd probably say (if I was ok with whatever that person wanted to do) would be "sure". If I was not ok with it I'd use a longer reply, as in: "Mmmh - can't you rather..."

I guess that shows pretty much the shift of this construction to an indirect speech act; people are not really expecting that you tell them if you mind or no, but that you speak up in case you don't.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:37 am UTC

keeneal wrote:You know, I've been studying German through 8 levels now, and I never understood the purpose of the word "doch" until just now. Thank you!
On topic: how does one go about looking up these kinds of things, beyond asking someone knowledgeable? Reverse reference books would be magnificent if they existed.

What would a reverse reference book look like? Surely there must be books that explain in English what the German word "doch" means, already? Or shouldn't that even be found in a dictionary?

Schmorgluck wrote:I see your point: being French and having learned German before English, being taught there is no specific word to contradict a negative sentence in English kinda confused me.

Hey, if you ever plan to conquer England again and make them use "si" in response to negative questions in place of "yes", like it is done in French, I am all for it!

Isn't it unusual to learn German first? I thought English is generally the first foreign language in France, too.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Schmorgluck

Postby Schmorgluck » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:00 pm UTC

Yes, it is indeed unusual.

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

I did the same (although I remember almost no German). I think most middle schools in France allow (or allowed) kids to take German first. English is then mandatory as a second foreign language.

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

These are delightful!

Do what my 2-year-old does. Answer them literally with a one word "yes" or "no." Then just look at them. People stop and have to untangle their own string of double negatives to find out what the answer means.

"Yes." (I agree, they are quite rare.)

I'd usually say "No, you don't." but hey, sometimes it's fun being a dick, especially to ranting authority figures.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

csam

Postby csam » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

Monika wrote:So when we learned in English class that answering yes to a negative questions expresses opposition, like "doch", we all had serious trouble with this. It feels soooo wrong.

I actually think that in theory, this would actually be the rule. So your teacher would be right in terms of official, theoretical grammar or something... it's just that the distinction doesn't exist at all in practice.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”