Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge

Postby ahammel » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

Worlds Without End wants you to read more books by female authors. Their reading challenge this year is as follows:

- Read one book per month by a female SFF author whose work you have never read before.
- One of these authors must be picked at random.

By coincidence, my New Year's resolution this year was along those lines. I decided to try for a 50/50 split or better after noticing that I only read one book written by a woman last year (and I didn't like that one). I suspect that I'm not the only dude in the unintentionally-sexist-literature-choices boat.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

NecklaceOfShadow

Re: Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:36 am UTC

...I am so doing this. I'mma post about it on my blag, and tell everyone in my feminist theories classes about it. This is an awesome idea and should have far more publicity.

Now I just have to scan the lists for random authors and somehow get my hands on their books...
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

That's a giant list of authors I have never heard about. I have heard about 5 or so. Are they all supposed to be good, or did they just list all the women who wrote fantasy, SF or horror regardless of the actual quality of the material?

Edit: +-360 authors, and no Sarah Ash or Trudi Canavan? Also, the fact that there are 360 answers my previous question.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

The WWEnd database only covers the winners and nominees of various awards, according to the FAQ. They take requests to add authors to the db through their fora, though.

Edit: 354 authors, in fact.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

After a quick scan, I would say I have read something-novel, stories, articles- by 30% of the authors listed. Some I like, some I don't. They do seem to be writers with a sizeable following. No one is going to like all of the possibilities on any list of authors.
If you tell me what you like, I can make suggestions from the list so you have a better chance of getting a winner.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Return to “Books”