What are you readioactive now(and other book related stuff)?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Re: What are you readioactive now(and other book related stuff)?

Postby Narsil » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:30 pm UTC

I'm currently reading Weaveworld, by Clive Barker. It's turgid and overwritten, but I need some trash. Or my brain she will be asplode. Besides, if I just read postmodern literature all the time I'd be a massive pompous douche. My favorite zero-literary-content books though are Alastair Reynolds. Cheesy actiony space opera and it's sooo good.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

neelakantankk

Postby neelakantankk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Short Stories of Kafka

I read them once when I was 15. Totally flew over my head. Now I can understand a bit.

The Outsider by Albert Camus.
Mary had a little sheep, little sheep, little sheep.
With the sheep, she went to sleep, went to sleep, went to sleep.
But the sheep turned out to be a ram,
Mary had a little lamb.

MShades

Postby MShades » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Previously: The River Where America Began by Bob Deans. Good if you're interested in an overview of the Virgina colonies.

Currently: The First Book of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber. I have a feeling that I should have read this when I was about thirteen. I've been on it for a week, and I'm only up to page 107. For someone who can plow through several hundred pages a day, this indicates a definite lack of interest.

Next: Not decided.
"My mind is my center and everything that happens there is my responsibility. Other people may believe what it pleases them to believe, but I will do nothing without I know the reason why and know it clearly."
-Dirk Gently

I see things

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:08 am UTC

MShades wrote:Currently: The First Book of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber. I have a feeling that I should have read this when I was about thirteen. I've been on it for a week, and I'm only up to page 107. For someone who can plow through several hundred pages a day, this indicates a definite lack of interest.

I read it only recently also, and I found that I would put it down for a while after each story. Each story would be read in one sitting, but then I wouldn't pick it up for a while. I kinda felt the same way as you at first.

Now I have to find the Second Book of Lankhmar, or The Swords of Lankhmar and Swords and Ice Magic separate, so I can read more.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

I just finished Clive Barker's Weaveworld, and damn that was amazing. I went into it expecting pulp fantasy and it was so much more. I'm totally going to get the rest of his stuff sometime. At the very least Imajica and the Art books.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:38 am UTC

Reading the second half of Simon Singh's The Code Book, taking it up where my brain fritzed out the first time... :roll:
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Finished microserfs.
It was boring and has no plot.
I don't know why I finished it.

Finished storm watch (dresden 1).
Pulpy goodness.

Didn't finish never the bride. Figured out the "twist" on page 35 I think. Stopped reading after the first story.

I think wicked's next on the list. I also have Fool moon to read, and I'm about half way through twilight.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Joker316

Postby Joker316 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:24 am UTC

Well I just started to re-read Homeland by R.A Salvatore. It's one of the books, and series I can read again, and again.

I just completed "The Corean Chronicals" series, by L. E. Modesitt Jr. a few days ago, it consists of 6 books, in order

Legacies
Darkness
Scepters
Alector's Choice
Cadmian's Choice
Soarer's Choice

They are Very good books, and I'd recomend that anyone read them

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

This year I have 2 major plans for reading. First comes the Golden Bough. I've read the first book and it's interesting if anything. It comes highly recommended, and so far it lives up to it.

Also up for this year: Discworld. I just finished Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic. I give myself three months before I've finished the last book.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

I'm currently reading "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks, the lady who wrote "March" and "Year of Wonders." It was...well, I like it, but it's not one of my favorite books in the world so far. It's reminded me of some history that I needed to learn about, though. =) That lady is admittedly WONDERFUL at writing historical fiction. Also, (one of) the main character(s) is an old manuscript. How much better does it get? =D

Also, "Macbeth" because I've never read it and feel all illiterate... Also, my little sister is currently beating me in our read-lotsa-shakespeare competition, and I can't let her do that!
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:Also, "Macbeth" because I've never read it and feel all illiterate... Also, my little sister is currently beating me in our read-lotsa-shakespeare competition, and I can't let her do that!

Forsooth- I as we speak read Hamlet notes, As just Monday I saw it in the round, And found alarming how much slid right past, 'Twixt "o'ers" and the "softs" of ancient tongues.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:29 am UTC

The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi, and The Rise and Fall of the Nation-State by Martin van Creveld.

The former is essentially the Art of War applied to the individual level, and an old favourite of mine. Its one of those books you can go back and read again and again and take something new from it. The latter is a broad history of social organization, from hunter-gatherer tribes up to the present, covering along the way a good deal of European history about the struggles between monarchs, the nobility, towns and the Churches. A really good read.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

thelibrarian

Postby thelibrarian » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

McCaber wrote:Also up for this year: Discworld. I just finished Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic. I give myself three months before I've finished the last book.

^^^ I've also been reading the Discworld books, *is on Thud! now*

and when I finish the Discworld I've got The Winter of the World trilogy (The Anvil of Ice, Forge in the Forest and Hammer of the Sun) by Michael Scott Rohan
"In the watch there are Dwarves, Trolls, Gnomes, Gargoyles, Werewolves, Vampires and a Nobbs."

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

In that note, Equal Rites has just been finished. So enjoyable.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:26 am UTC

Wow, is it really two months since I finished Dracula? I haven't started on a new book since, although I've been having fun reading poetry. Finally decided to wander through Shakespeare's Sonnets.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:43 am UTC

Sartre's Nausea, mostly because I thought that it might make more sense in the state I'm in now. Simultaneously, I'm plowing through the collected works of Oscar Wilde, but I don't think I can do it anymore- his style just irks me.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

In-between Bram Stoker's Dracula for my Lit & Film class and The Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson.

carbohydrated

Postby carbohydrated » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

Right now I'm going through Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, which is a collection of short stories by him. I've gone through 5 of them now and I loved them all, Murakami's writing is amazing. The stories are short and simple, but somehow they feel magical when you're reading them. Also, I adore short stories more than anything else in the world.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

Finished supervillainz. Still reading - wicked, twilight. And a few others that I've stopped.

Supervillainz was... good at times, awesome at other times, and depressing as well. I don't think it was "bad". There were some parts that made me really sad, because I empathized with the secondary protagonist (the Mtf).

The end was really depressing. A real low point. Which is unfortunate.

I couldn't keep reading at parts, because it hit really close to home.

But, well, that's me. You may or may not like it like I did, as you may not have the same empathic connection to the characters. But they were writen well.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:51 am UTC

Previous - American Pastoral by Philip Roth

Now - Anathem by Neal Stephenson (Halfway through it and have to stop because it is getting hard for my eyees to keep focused, its fracking good.)

Next - Jihad (don't know authors name...but its about the modern creation of millitant islam sects, reckoned i need to step out of the fiction world for a second...)
To exist is to resist.

neelakantankk

Postby neelakantankk » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Previous - Utopia :: Sir Thomas More. Some of it is really interesting. Like the bit where he describes the Utopians system of having no money. Some, not so much.

Currently - Essays by Francis Bacon - Shakespeare's Sonnets.
Mary had a little sheep, little sheep, little sheep.
With the sheep, she went to sleep, went to sleep, went to sleep.
But the sheep turned out to be a ram,
Mary had a little lamb.

MaybeAndroid

Postby MaybeAndroid » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

I'm currently reading Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. I'd read it before, when I was about 14, and I remember loving it, but almost nothing else about the book. So I decided to reread it, and I still love it.
'I saw a guy in Venice Beach. When I saw him I thought, is that Leonard Nimoy in drag? But no, it was not Leonard Nimoy. It was just some guy.'

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Island by Aldous Huxley, and Lolita by Vladimir Nabokav.

Also, Good News for a Change by David Suzuki and Holly Dressel, but I have to return that to the library about 3 weeks ago, and it's gonna cost me.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:16 am UTC

I'm on a Jane Austen kick right now.
Last edited by Sebeka2 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

icanus

Postby icanus » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

just finished Terry Pratchett's latest, Nation. IMO, one of his best, though a bit more serious in tone than the Discworld series (which isn't to say there's not plenty of comedy, just that there's some pretty serious stuff in there too)

Just starting on James Clavell's King Rat (re-reading, but the first time was nearly a decade ago, so I can't remember too much of it)

<(bLYaUn)>

Postby <(bLYaUn)> » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Nearly finished with Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. Overall, it has been really enjoyable. Heinlein's style doesn't focus as much on the hard sci-fi, but his character development is much better compared to Asimov's. After that I have GEB, Foundations Edge, and Neuromancer on my list of books to read.

Balsamic

Postby Balsamic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:19 am UTC

I finished reading Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four this morning. I have read it before, but it has been many years. I'm now a few pages into The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

eternal luna wrote:I'm plowing through the collected works of Oscar Wilde, but I don't think I can do it anymore- his style just irks me.

It remains to be seen how I will respond to his work, but I do hope it is more favourably.

I haven't made a particular decision to return to the 'classics,' however as the books I've read lately have been more contemporary (Oryx and Crake, Life of Pi, The Undercover Economist, The Last Lecture and The Areas of My Expertise [in both printed and audio format for Jonathan Coulton's musical contributions]) it is a pleasant diversion.

As an afterthought, in the past couple of months I've also read Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen. This was by my Mum's suggestion and... let's just say I'll be second guessing any suggestions she gives me from now on :|
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray wrote:I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.

raptor.fortress

Postby raptor.fortress » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:21 am UTC

brave new world. I think that makes it an even dozen.

His feet like the needle of a compass...
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
- Ernest Hemingway.

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

Currently: Timequake - Kurt Vonnegut
Next up: Catch-22 (about time I got around to reading this).
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Somehow, I've gotten into this epic horror addiction, and I cleared out my Half-Price Books' supply of Clive Barker novels, and am now searching for Swan Song and Carrion Comfort, both 1,000 page horror novels in the same vein.

Currently reading Everville, the sequel to The Great and Secret Show, and it's some good stuff. It doesn't shut my brain off entirely, but at the same time it's more pleasurable than say, Against the Day. I need three weeks locked in a padded room without the outside world to fully enjoy that monster.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:52 am UTC

A Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess--words there make me go "huh?" but I'm enjoying it so far. 8)

Pit

Postby Pit » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:55 pm UTC

Re-reading Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri in a modern translation (<3 Dante). And reading Through the looking glass from Lewis Carroll. I have a thing for classics and the likes. I've always been meaning to read it after I read Alice in Wonderland, but I never got around to it till now. :)
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

Aequitas

Postby Aequitas » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

Reading Greens Mars, the 2nd book of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy. Setting is 20-100 years in future (depending on where you're reading) as humanity struggles to colonize and terraform Mars over several generations. It has great drama and politics, and Robinson knows how to write perspective better than anybody else I've read short of Robert Jordan. There is a lot of real science discussed in the book, so you may find yourself getting bored if you're not interested in the science necessary to terraform a planet. Highly recommended.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Just finished The myth of Sisyphus by Camus. I like it, but I think I'm gonna have to read through it again to get a proper grip on it.

I've now started on Crash by JG Ballard, which is looking pretty good so far.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:30 am UTC

Dance of Time by Eric Flint. If you like alternate history drop everything and go buy all of the Belisarius series right now you will thank me.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Rendezvous With Rama. Clarke is a god.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:34 am UTC

The Spherical Cow wrote:Just finished The myth of Sisyphus by Camus. I like it, but I think I'm gonna have to read through it again to get a proper grip on it.

That's the worst thing about the book, once you finish it you just have to start over.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

MysticalChicken

Postby MysticalChicken » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:29 am UTC

Currently reading The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens. It's my first Dickens, and I'm not counting A Christmas Carol because every single person on the face of the planet owns that book, or has read it, or has at least seen the Disney cartoon adaptation with Scrooge McDuck and Mickey Mouse. Anyway, Pickwick. The edition I bought has 832 pages, so if I finish it, it'll be the longest book I've ever read (I think...). I think I'll probably finish it. It's rather amusing. Not laugh-out-loud funny, but I'm finding myself grinning a lot. It seems to "flow" easily as well.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk. The characters feel different from the movie (which I loved), which is kinda jarring, but otherwise pretty good so far.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:12 am UTC

I needed some comfort reading, so I went back to Tamora Pierce. So I reread the Keladry set last weekend and am wishing that my Alanna books weren't still in Florida. I also really need to suck it up and go pay the library lots of money (damn overdue fees) since there's a bunch of books that just came out that I *need* to read. (Nation, Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, Anathem, new Diana Wynne Jones book...)
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Return to “Books”