What are you readioactive now(and other book related stuff)?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Noa

Re: What are you readioactive now(and other book related stuff)?

Postby Noa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:39 am UTC

Wombat wrote:Currently reading a bunch of books:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Mariel of Redwall, Marlfox, Salamandastron, The Book of Bunny Suicides, and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.

I read bunches.

Ah!! I LOVE Brian Jacques' novels! I think they were my gateway to the historical fiction genre and the reason I'm a history major now :)
Unfortunately, I gave my entire collection to my sister when I went to college and she abused them so badly! Half are now missing and the other half have either severe water damage or have had the covers ripped off. :(
Mariel of Redwall would have to be my favorite of those you've listed. Her character is amazing!
Don't do nothing because you can't do everything. Do something. Anything!"
~Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

ducknerd

Postby ducknerd » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:37 am UTC

Narsil wrote:Currently reading David Foster Wallace's The Broom of the System. Such a loss. God damn this man was brilliant. Pales in comparison to Infinite Jest, yet at the same time puts most other stuff to shame.

To be honest I didn't much like Broom. I found it just a couple months after his suicide, recognized the name, and went through it. It had some worthwhile parts to it to be sure (I loved Vlad The Impaler, and Wittgenstein makes me happy) but the whole thing just came off like he was trying way too hard to be really really intelligent instead of saying something of any substance or importance. Infinite Jest is on my to-read list simply because lots of people have recommended it, and I'm hoping it'll be less show-offy. I'm optimistic, because according to Wikipedia he wrote Broom while in college.

On-topic: I'm about 3/4 of the way through Secrets of the Talking Jaguar by Martin Prechtel. It's one of the strangest and most enchanting things I've ever read, with this pervasive otherness that seems to me like someone speaking from a truly different culture (it's an account of life in an indigenous Mayan village). It would make a completely convincing magic realist novel, but it's a memoir; I'd write the author off as delusional but he writes with impressive articulation. On the back burner is The Good War by Studs Terkel. I originally got it both because I love Studs and because I thought I needed more background on the cultural influence on WW2 for Gravity's Rainbow. As it turns out, it's also incredibly sad and incredibly entertaining. Very good peek into the culture of the generation now mostly gone. And, of course, on the burner behind that remains the bane of my existence, Gravity's Goddamn Rainbow by Thomas "Ramblin' Tom" Pynchon. I'm nearing part 4, and at this point I'm not willing to give up.
17/Male/Hetero/Euromutt

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

Maybe I simply identified more with Lenore as a person struggling to find her identity in a web of people stretching her in directions she doesn't want to go. She has a hard time thinking for herself and I guess I just sort of empathized.

Infinite Jest is better in every conceivable way, however. If you felt that Broom was showing off, you might still feel that way, but this is kind of a problem with the genre. Tell me Thomas Pynchon wasn't showing the hell off, name-checking 30's films stars in one scene before blowing any reader out of the water with an intricate understanding of chemistry, physics, and hell, why not computational linguistics.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

I'm reading the Earthsea Trilogy* again. I was recommending A Wizard of Earthsea to a friend (and by that I mean I was saying that Harry Potter was crap, and that if you want a good book about a kid learning to be a wizard...) and then had to dig it out and read it again. So good. Having just finished the Tombs of Atuan, I can't decide whether I like it or the first book the best.

* The copy I have is a collection of just the trilogy, can't find the Earthsea Quartet books I used to have. Maybe I'll hunt down Tehanu and the more recent books. Haven't read Tehanu since I was a kid, could be fun. Haven't read the newer stuff at all, though it does look interesting.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:45 am UTC

I'm reading Godel Escher Bach for the epich win!

Although it seems like it's a lot of anecdotes though.

EDIT: And I would recommend it to anyone.
Last edited by Internetmeme on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:31 am UTC

*Ahem*

I thought this was the "recommend a book" thread.

Let me amend this post to say then, that I'm currently reading Borges' Labyrinths, George Berkeley's Three Dialogues Between Hylas and Philonous, and Ian Stewart's The Problems of Mathematics.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:00 am UTC

I'm engrossed in Raymond E. Feist's Wrath of a Mad God (I'm completely addicted to this series, and I'm just hoping that this book isn't one of those in which he kills off half the best characters like in Rage of a Demon King). I just finished a great collection of essays by Carl Sagan, and I've got a few other books that I need to finish, including Bram Stoker's Dracula, Orson Scott Card's Xenocide, and a few Terry Pratchett and Kurt Vonnegut books that I never got to finish. Once I'm done those, I get to start on Neil Gaiman, even more Terry Pratchett, and even more Kurt Vonnegut. My goal is to finish all of this by the end of 2009.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:31 am UTC

Republic
Robinson Caruso (Re-Re-Read)
Arabian Nights
The Stand

Thats my lineup for the moment. And ugh im gonna need another bookcase soon they are spreading to the floor.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

Jaco

Postby Jaco » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:18 am UTC

Almost finished with Genghis Khan - Life, Death and Resurrection by John Man. Very interesting read.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

I have become addicted to the forgotten realms, readin Drizzt slowly as I get my hands on the books, also a lot of the other random forgotten realmsstuff in my library.
P.S. forgotten realms is great, worth a read for anyone.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:46 am UTC

I icked up William Gibson's Spook Country for $6 at a used bookstore; I'm reading that and enjoying it a lot. Its interesting how much he's changed since the cyberpunk days. It's most certainly not a bad thing; in fact I enjoy tthe more mature style. Its definitely closer to Don DeLillo than it is to any sci-fi I've read.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

Finished Palahniuk's Survivor on the train today. Continued in Leonard Cohen's Book of Longing (some of his poems are HILARIOUS, going on about getting dressed in his japanese garb and finishing on the fact that he had a boner :lol: ).

Also Absolute Sandman Vol1 i read at night in bed. I don't dare take it anywhere for fear of damaging it.

I picked up the Virgin Suicides book the other day as well.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:Its interesting how much he's changed since the cyberpunk days.
Just don't expect him to have gotten better at endings.

Me? Bitter about Pattern Recognition, not at all!
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

raptor.fortress

Postby raptor.fortress » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:48 am UTC

A bottle of sandwiches By Dennis O'Grady.

I picked it up at the lifeline bookfest because it was only 50cents but would highly encourage anyone looking for a great book about the Aussie bush.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
- Ernest Hemingway.

Osha

Postby Osha » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

I'm currently reading Crossover. "A Cassandra Kresnov Novel".
Cassandra happens to be a super powerful killer android who can kick down blast doors with her feet and can access cyberspace while killing bad guys. But all she really wants to do is fit in. There was a part where a judge or a lawyer or somebody was accusing her of deceiving a guy she slept with 'cause he thought she wasn't a real woman, and there were lot's of people calling her "it" instead of "her".
Let's be honest, this book ain't gonna win any awards... but I quite like it anyway. I can empathize with the main character and there's lots of explosions. 8)

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
Narsil wrote:Its interesting how much he's changed since the cyberpunk days.
Just don't expect him to have gotten better at endings.

Me? Bitter about Pattern Recognition, not at all!
So if I wanted more quality books from him that aren't Neuromancer, where should I turn?
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:47 am UTC

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

That is all.
500%!

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:01 am UTC

Narsil wrote:So if I wanted more quality books from him that aren't Neuromancer, where should I turn?
I think they are all quality books, just with not-very-good endings. I loved Pattern Recognition, and I thought it was noticeably better than the Sprawl or Bridge trilogies (which are fairly interchangeable, with the exception of Neuromancer - and perhaps All Tomorrows Parties, which I haven't got a copy of yet - the same structure, the number of main characters, etc. All fun, but quite samey,) so much so that I convinced myself the ending was going to be equally as good. I very near threw the book across the room when I got to the end, but if I hadn't been expecting any better it may not have bothered me. Spoilered reasons why:
Spoiler:
The book is awesome up until she finds out where the footage is coming from. If I were to reread the book I'd stop there. After that, the main character gets drugged and runs away from a hospital while minor characters resolve the rest of the plot off stage, then tell her about it over dinner. Oh, and the strange condition that the book is about - the pattern recognition? - she just gets better, maybe from the being drugged.
The Neuromancer sequels and the Bridge books are well worth reading. The characters and settings and ideas and technology is lots of fun. I wouldn't recommend them on the basis of plot, though.

Burning Chrome (short stories, three of which are set in the Neuromancer world, including Johnny Mnemonic which is an awesome story - I mean come on, an ex-navy crack addicted cyborg psychic dolphin? Fuck yes) has some great stories in it. Being short I think they have more focus, maybe? Red Star, Winter Orbit is my favourite.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Reading The Idiot by Dostoyevsky. It's pretty good, though the edition I have has misprints and the translation seems shaky.. Could just be I haven't read fiction in ages.

Ambelie

Postby Ambelie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:44 am UTC

I'm currently reading Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman.

teamcorndog

Postby teamcorndog » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:53 am UTC

I'm kind of alternating between books by J.M. Coetzee and by Zakes Mda. And I've been meaning to read Sandman for like a million years now, why haven't I done it yet? My library has the absolute collection and everything! Oh, I annoy myself sometimes.

jb17kx

Postby jb17kx » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

I started exploring the lesser-known areas of my bookshelves and am now reading The Russian Convoys by Vice-Admiral B. B. Schofield.

It's actually quite good, but the prose is very British and very 1950s.
How often do you walk up to a bar and say "I'll have two of your finest boobs, thanks"?

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:06 am UTC

I just finished re-reading House of Leaves, and I'm not entirely sure what I think of it. It feels as though I'm missing a chunk of meaning still. Maybe I should try it again?

Also, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, on recommendation from a woman at a bus-stop. I really like the use of a child's voice for serious matters, and need to figure out how to incorporate that into my own writings.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

I am reading like 5 books by Asimov, and am too busy on school these forums to finish them. :cry:

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:36 am UTC

Just finished Wizard & Glass by Steven King from his Dark Tower series, and I'll be moving on to the next one soon.
But since I've been reading Dark Tower for a few weeks now, I'm taking a side trip into psychology and reading Power vs. Force by David Hawkins.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

novax6

Postby novax6 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:26 am UTC

Finally finished The Count of Monte Cristo last week, which was very good, but if I read it again I would go for the abridged version. There is too much crap in there that has almost nothing to do with the main story and is not interesting.

About a quarter of the way into McCarthy's Blood Meridian. Really excellent so far, the guy has an amazing way with language. I'm definitely going to be picking up The Road after this.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

I put down Spook Country because it got lame and boring. I thought it was gonna be some sort of badass post-cyberpunk, but it's kinda like the cyberpunk party ended and this book's left picking up trash.

A better description: there's a lot of themes of paranoia and fear in post-9/11 America and at times Gibson invokes an almost DeLillo-esque tone to express this world in chilling beauty, but the plotlines meander for too many hundreds of pages, sadly missing DeLillo's grasp of the postmodern style of writing. But possibly this search for meaning mirrors the character's search for the things in their respective stories: a new technology and art magazine and a lost shipping crate, among other things; but if this is the case then my problem with the book is an ideological one as such a message simply doesn't hold interest despite the book's short 400 page length.

novax6 wrote:Finally finished The Count of Monte Cristo last week, which was very good, but if I read it again I would go for the abridged version. There is too much crap in there that has almost nothing to do with the main story and is not interesting.

You've made a big mistake just now, but you're young and I'll forgive you this time.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:06 am UTC

Narsil wrote:
novax6 wrote:Finally finished The Count of Monte Cristo last week, which was very good, but if I read it again I would go for the abridged version. There is too much crap in there that has almost nothing to do with the main story and is not interesting.

You've made a big mistake just now, but you're young and I'll forgive you this time.

What mistake was that, o' learned elder? :D I stand by what I said.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:34 am UTC

I'm of the opinion that the book is too short, myself.

I'm guessing that you're referring to the second act of the story, when the Count is in Rome. I'd be inclined to agree, as compared to the opening and then the last half of the novel, it's fucktastically boring. But it sets up a lot of sub plots like the story of Luigi Vampa and the other bandit, that becomes important later. It's structured a bit like a Godspeed You! Black Emperor song, in that the boring parts are necessary to make the crescendo so satisfying.

Also, I'm just screwing with you. There's a fair chance you're older than I am.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:40 am UTC

Yeah I am, unless you're lying about your age on your profile. :D

Actually Vampa and the bandits backstory was one of the more interesting side plots. The one I just could barely get through though was Valentine's and Maximilian's. It was like 40 pages of "I love you!", "I love you more!", "No I do!". Ugh. That and the Count's servant's story (I forget his name) could have been taken out of the book with almost no effect on the story.
There might have been a few others, but those were the main ones I meant.
Last edited by novax6 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:24 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:24 am UTC

I'm reading "Lord of the Flies." I dunno what you were expecting. :|
ImageImage
^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW

Spinoza

Postby Spinoza » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:00 am UTC

Noa wrote:
Wombat wrote:Currently reading a bunch of books:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Mariel of Redwall, Marlfox, Salamandastron, The Book of Bunny Suicides, and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.

I read bunches.

Ah!! I LOVE Brian Jacques' novels! I think they were my gateway to the historical fiction genre and the reason I'm a history major now :)
Unfortunately, I gave my entire collection to my sister when I went to college and she abused them so badly! Half are now missing and the other half have either severe water damage or have had the covers ripped off. :(
Mariel of Redwall would have to be my favorite of those you've listed. Her character is amazing!

Loved these books growing up. I started reading them when there were only 5 written! Martin the Warrior is my fav.

natraj

Postby natraj » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:09 am UTC

I just tonight finished World War Z and now I'm starting Stephen Pinker's The Stuff of Thought. Kinda a strange transition. :D
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Velict

Postby Velict » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:40 am UTC

I'm just starting The Crisis of the Old Order: 1919-1933 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol. I) by Arthur M. Schlesinger. I originally picked it up for the purposes of writing a term paper on the New Deal, but it's an absolutely fascinating read on early American progressivism, as well as economic thought put into a historical filter.

aireoth

Postby aireoth » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

Make Love!*
*The Bruce Campbell Way

I must say I am enjoying so far.

benbw

Postby benbw » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

I just finished Palm Sunday and am starting Bluebeard. For some reason I always enjoy reading Vonnegut books.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

I'm reading and rereading all the Discworld I can find. I reread Guards, Guards!, read The Color of Magic, am rereading Mort, and am reading Men At Arms.
500%!

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

Re-reading Herman Hesse. Right now, The Glass Bead Game. He won a Nobel prize for it! I read a bit of this book before but I didn't "get it". Now that I'm older a lot more things make sense.

benbw

Postby benbw » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

That was fast. Bluebeard and Mother Night done, Galapagos started.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:32 pm UTC

Just finishing Special Topics in Calamity Physics. I'm really enjoying it. The writing is awesome, I'm flying through it, and it's been a really nice distraction from my current thesis madness.

Return to “Books”