Young Wizards by Diane Duane

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Young Wizards by Diane Duane

Postby Jorpho » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:26 am UTC

I'm pretty sure it was someone on this board who once, quite some time ago, pointed out to me that Diane Duane had put an as-yet unpublished novel up at http://www.the-big-meow.com/ , but I couldn't find the thread just now. Which is a shame, because I just finished reading it and found it to be quite good, quite good indeed.

There do seem to be a number of fans of this particular series of hers on this board, though. The first three, So You Want To Be a Wizard, Deep Wizardry, and High Wizardry, were darn good reading when I was a young'un, and I thought the trilogy concluded on quite a satisfactory note. I didn't much care for A Wizard Abroad and The Wizard's Dilemma, though; a cynical part of me suspects Duane was dragooned into writing more of them after Harry Potter took off. I never did seek out the subsequent novels.

And actually, reading The Big Meow reminded me about how darn confuddling The Book of Night With Moon and To Visit The Queen were.

So, who else here enjoyed these books? Which were your favorites?

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Re: Young Wizards by Diane Duane

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:37 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I'm pretty sure it was someone on this board who once, quite some time ago, pointed out to me that Diane Duane had put an as-yet unpublished novel up at http://www.the-big-meow.com/ , but I couldn't find the thread just now. Which is a shame, because I just finished reading it and found it to be quite good, quite good indeed.

There do seem to be a number of fans of this particular series of hers on this board, though. The first three, So You Want To Be a Wizard, Deep Wizardry, and High Wizardry, were darn good reading when I was a young'un, and I thought the trilogy concluded on quite a satisfactory note. I didn't much care for A Wizard Abroad and The Wizard's Dilemma, though; a cynical part of me suspects Duane was dragooned into writing more of them after Harry Potter took off. I never did seek out the subsequent novels.

And actually, reading The Big Meow reminded me about how darn confuddling The Book of Night With Moon and To Visit The Queen were.

So, who else here enjoyed these books? Which were your favorites?

I may have been the one who pointed you at them. I'm pretty much the biggest Duane fanboy I know.

Great moments in the Wizards series: cat wizards fight Cthulhu, the Lone One sits around bored as a museum exhibit for all of eternity, Dairine hacks her way through the universe with an early Macintosh laptop.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

ameretrifle
Vera

Re: Young Wizards by Diane Duane

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:24 pm UTC

Oh, this thread is relevant to my interests :3

I'm also a big fan, though as I get older, I'm growing a little more conflicted about her writing style. There's a lot about it I love, and that has probably influenced my own writing indelibly; but sometimes there's sort of a... sameness of perspective, which she usually gets away with since her perspective is unusually broad. Not her system of philosophy, which is carried over pretty much everything, something vaguer than that; a general feel, a frame of mind. Not sure I could explain it properly without trying some sort of analysis, but it's something that shows up a lot more in some of her 'adult'-audience novels than anywhere else--Omnitopia, Stealing the Elf King's Roses, and btw has anyone else read that and gone o-O at the ending? Even in the YW series, though, I find it pretty hard to, say, explain the personality difference in Tom and Carl. Sure, they've different occupations and such, but there's pretty limited indications that if you put either one in the same situation, that their reactions would be much different. Relatively minor characters, sure, and rather YMMV, but... I ramble.

Also, sorry to break your headcanon, but if Wiki is to be trusted, HP came out in '97, and A Wizard Abroad came out in '93. ;)

It's true, however, the first three books might still be the best. I didn't much care for A Wizard Abroad when I read it-- should give it another go sometime, but I think mostly I just feel "meh" at best about Ronan. I don't often hate him, but I've also never particularly cared if he lives or dies. I'd say Dilemma is one of the best of the series, though. It had great moments, and excellent pacing, and I found it quite moving overall. A Wizard Alone has a little bit of anvil trouble, but a lot of interesting ideas, and overall I like it; Holiday also has its high points but seemed more fillery to me. Wizards at War is quite epic on first reading... with more reflection, there's a couple of quirks to the plot, but I still think it's among the better books. The latest Mars installment... hmm, I'm still thinking about that one. There were a number of cool things about it, but overall it still felt like one of the less compelling entries to me. Should read it again to reflect, though.

I also have a couple of her Star Trek novels; I find The Wounded Sky rather too metaphysical for Trek, though still a good read, but my love for My Enemy, My Ally is without such reservation. Basically, if anyone wants to chat about anything else she's written, I've read a significant fraction of it (but not all).

Also, for the curious...she has a tumblr.

Return to “Books”