XKCD book club September, Cat's Cradle

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cephalopod9

XKCD book club September, Cat's Cradle

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:08 am UTC

Discussion of the September book selection doesn't seem to have gotten started yet, so I'll try and get things going.

Kurt Vonnegut's writing is beautiful. Cat's Cradle was a fairly quick read, and very enjoyable. The first person narrative is a little loose and
Spoiler:
writing up until the present, what's the word for that?
is really hard to do well, but it works here.

There's a lot of elegant, yet transparent allegory.
Spoiler:
Especially towards the end, the food and drink at the banquet, and how long each character lasts

It's a very good book, and, I though, very appropriate for the time of year (for Americans).

Anyone tried boko-maru?

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Re: XKCD book club September, Cat's Cradle

Postby Narsil » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

I believe the term you're looking for, for writing about the past up until a certain point, is called in medias res.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:49 am UTC

Hasn't anyone read it? The month is half over :cry:

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:06 am UTC

I read it! but its 3 AM here and I have to be at class in about 5 hours, so I should probably sleep first.

Edit: Okay its almost 24 hours later, but I have no class or work tomorrow so its cool.

I enjoyed it immensely as a fairly light read. Vonnegut seems to bring odd facts about specific events or people and make the reader focus on that. In my head that makes me sort of see the character or event on a more personal level. I'm not really sure how though; i just like it.

It's not often that you can really laugh out loud while reading a novel and I found myself doing so more than once. Everything in the book seems to brim with this sort of semi-sarcastic black humor that isn't really sarcastic at all, but somewhat bittersweet. It's kind of depressing and hilarious at the same time.

Also, Is it weird that I think most of his religious views portrayed in the plot are things that normal religious people should realize?
Last edited by Mr. Galt on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

Cat's Cradle is one of my favourite books. The first time I read it (about a year ago?) I couldn't stop thinking about the end for days... it was the first thing written by Vonnegut I read, I love his writing now.

I don't know why I like it and due to that this post is kind of useless, but I would highly recommend it...
[insert quote here]

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:00 am UTC

Interestingly enough, I read this without having seen it first here.

It was pretty good, but personally I like some of his other work better (S-5, Galapagos).

"See the cat? See the cradle?" was my favourite line from the book, and the notion of Bokononism was very clever.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:58 am UTC

Slaughterhouse 5 (provided that's what s-5 stands for of course) is pretty amazing, but also heavier, I think. Also not as sci-fi centric, so I think Cat's Cradle makes for easier xkcd book club discussion. I haven't read Galapagos, but I have read some of his other stuff.
Mr. Galt wrote:Vonnegut seems to bring odd facts about specific events or people and make the reader focus on that. In my head that makes me sort of see the character or event on a more personal level. I'm not really sure how though; i just like it.
I think it's the way it borders on stream of conciousness. You don't usually look at someone and list off they're physical characteristics.

Also, Is it weird that I think most of his religious views portrayed in the plot are things that normal religious people should realize?
Depends on what you mean; the part about a religion based on a lie still being useful?

Return to “Books”