Reference Books <>

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Filius Nullius

Reference Books <>

Postby Filius Nullius » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

I'm on the verge of starting a pretty big project (of which I have not yet chosen a topic), Just wondering what books if any do/would you keep around as references for writing?

Freud? Plato, Socrates? Dan brown? J.K Rowling?

I'm trying to compose a library of references materials on my flash drive so that I can research any given topic fairly quickly visa v these collected works.

Filius Nullius

Re: Reference Books <>

Postby Filius Nullius » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

I wish to amend this with some new information, I think that I'm going to address the concept of Machine Consciousness with my research Paper this is a relatively new field of study (yes it is a field) and I think that reference materials may be a little bit hard to find.

any ideas on the subject?

waltwhitmanheadedbat

Postby waltwhitmanheadedbat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

Filius Nullius wrote:I'm on the verge of starting a pretty big project (of which I have not yet chosen a topic), Just wondering what books if any do/would you keep around as references for writing?

I'll choose to respond to this first. I personally try to get a PDF of everything I read so I have a searchable form of it. It's difficult, but so worth it when you want to pull out that vonnegut quote you Just Can't Remember. I also try to get copies of my textbooks, again, for searchability.

For your particular topic, I'd advise going to the artificial consciousness article on wikipedia and seeing what you can get digitally out of everything cited or mentioned there.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

Definitely get Elements of Style by Strunk and White. Ultimate writing guide. It will help your writing tremendously. I guarantee it.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Filius Nullius

Postby Filius Nullius » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:26 am UTC

waltwhitmanheadedbat wrote:
Filius Nullius wrote:I'm on the verge of starting a pretty big project (of which I have not yet chosen a topic), Just wondering what books if any do/would you keep around as references for writing?

I'll choose to respond to this first. I personally try to get a PDF of everything I read so I have a searchable form of it. It's difficult, but so worth it when you want to pull out that vonnegut quote you Just Can't Remember. I also try to get copies of my textbooks, again, for searchability.

For your particular topic, I'd advise going to the artificial consciousness article on wikipedia and seeing what you can get digitally out of everything cited or mentioned there.

Thanks for your reply, I've just started downloading a large collection of ebooks about artificial consciousness that I looked for because of your post! very helpful indeed,

for future reference I have been advised not to use the wiki article about AC for my research but I'm told there is something called "schoolpedia" that has a nice article.

@Narsil is that this book? http://www.cs.vu.nl/~jms/doc/elos.pdf

waltwhitmanheadedbat

Postby waltwhitmanheadedbat » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

Filius Nullius wrote:for future reference I have been advised not to use the wiki article about AC for my research but I'm told there is something called "schoolpedia" that has a nice article.

If you use a very particular use of "using," you're not *using* wikipedia, you're just using the citations. ;)

Regardless of the quality of the writing on wikipedia, the citations are often very insightful.

More generally, check out textbooktorrents.com. Now, I'm not saying that the MIT Encyclopedia of Cognitive Sciences is up there and that you should download it...but...it might be. ;)

Filius Nullius

Postby Filius Nullius » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Thanks, I just signed up on at that site "Fri 03rd Oct, 2008 08:33 pm"
I think the dates a bit off also, I meant to say scholarpedia instaed of schoolpedia.

Return to “Books”