16%
7%
5+
4%

Total votes: 92

Avelion

How many?

Postby Avelion » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Hurray for me! I managed to read through two full books this week while I was supposed to be working. This made me feel good. Naturally that needs to end promplty, so I figured I'd ask you guys how many you average in a week.

Edited because English hates me.
Last edited by Avelion on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: How many?

Postby poxic » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:43 am UTC

Only books? Depends, but one a week means a lot of reading for me (on top of my SciAm magazines and local newspapers/newsletters). If it's vacation time and I'm bored silly, then maybe three or more/week.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

steewi

Postby steewi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:06 am UTC

Only one usually. I'd love to read more, but time constrains me (not from TV watching - from social life, work, classes, ...). I'll also read a few comics and probably some academic articles in the meanwhile, in addition to my pleasure reading.

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:47 am UTC

Books? probably one.

But if you include magazines and newspapers, probably 5-8 depending on the week.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:10 am UTC

I usually go to the library on monday, get three books and two comic books, read them all and bring them back the next week.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

I usually read before I go to sleep and during the day I listen to Audio books, does that count? I'm working my way through all of Terry Pratchett right now. :mrgreen:
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

btilly

Postby btilly » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Too darned variable to answer. One week I'll read 5. Another week I'll be too tired and not read anything. I also often read one book slowly (often a technical book) and read others on the side while I'm reading that one.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

Ciega

Postby Ciega » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

I put three, but sometimes it's more or less, depending on what else I have to do that week. And sometimes I get distracted from books completely for a short time by internet stuff-- most recently this comic and TV Tropes.

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:50 am UTC

I read an average of four novels of at least 200 pages a week. Sometimes, if I'm reading light things, I'll read up to 10 books a week, sometimes if it's something really dense or really dull, I'll only read one. This does not include articles of any kind, which I read a lot of daily.

But most weeks it's 3 or 4.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

I usually read one book every two weeks, but to be fair, they're 1000+ pagers. Like, the last one was Underworld, and that shit took forever.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:26 am UTC

Depends on whether or not you include trade paperbacks. Is so then I read about 5 books a week. If not then Its about 1.

And I've still got Live & Let die, the last 3 hitchhikers and Gatsby to read so I'll be OK for the while.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

This is a bit odd for me. When I have new books, I power through all of them as fast as I can. I can go through one or two a day. Otherwise I might read one or two a week.

I'll pick three, to even it out.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:00 am UTC

If I have something I'm interested in reading, I'll probably go through a good 200-300 pages before I sleep.
There was this period a while ago I'd power through 500 page spy novels every second night. That screwed up my classwork, so I stopped.

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:40 am UTC

when i go on reading sprees, which will last maybe three or four week, the avg hits about 3. then it dips to less than one for months and months. the mood has to be right. candles. lit dinner. nudity. the usual.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:25 am UTC

I don't know how to answer this, it goes in stages depending on what else I'm doing. I'm capable of reading 4-5 books in a week--I don't tend to however.
Rice Puddin.

Ratio

Postby Ratio » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Less than one, but I do read long books.

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:44 am UTC

Usually I read several books at once, so it's hard to say, because I could finish several in one week. But on average, one.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:00 am UTC

Back when I was a kid I used to go through 5 books a week. The internet, puberty, and school reduced that to 0 a week for a few years, and now I'm back up to about 1 book a week. I simply don't have the time to read any more than that.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Absolute

Postby Absolute » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:19 am UTC

I have no clue about my reading rate, and I don't think books/week is a good unit. Maybe pages/month corrected for density of material. I know alot of forum users are college students, and textbook reading should certainly be factored in. While not a student, I tend to have several books in progress at any time, ranging from dense non-fiction to lighthearted sci-fi or humor. It's rare that I'll actually get a book and read it all the way through in one shot, so I can't really estimate a books/week number.
"To the intransigent mind, to the inviolate truth"

I don't really have "mornings", so much as "times when I switch from booze to coffee"

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:21 am UTC

Wait, can we count posts? How many posts == a book? Because I am on here far too often. Also do comic books count?
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Absolute

Postby Absolute » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:23 am UTC

I'd say yes to the first if you're on Books, SB or News, and a definite no to the second.
"To the intransigent mind, to the inviolate truth"

I don't really have "mornings", so much as "times when I switch from booze to coffee"

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

I second what most folks here have said - I don't read the same amount each week. I think it'd've been more effective to ask books per month or books per year; it'd be somewhat more stable. I would guess what I read evens out to somewhere between one and three books per week, but I'm not sure exactly where, and quality is totally non-uniform. Also, how do people feel about re-reading books regarding whether or not they count? If they don't count, I probably slip to one per week at best.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

It depends, I put 5+ as that used to be me, nowadays I read less than that because I don't have access to many.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

1hitcombo

Postby 1hitcombo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

wow I'm shocked at the number of people reading more than 1 book a week. I'm proud of myself if I can finish a book every 2 weeks (that is, during the school year). how quickly do you people read / how much time do you spend each week reading?

I read on average 20 minutes a day and read at probably a page every 1.5 minutes.

fransisco4

Postby fransisco4 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

As many people has prevously stated it depends on the week. The time i re-read Narnia Chroncicles i finished them on a week. I just finised a ~250 pages book on 3 days so you gat an idea. It depends on how much i want to read, free time and internet avaiability. This year i have read 40 books, they would be more if i could get any of the books i wanted.

Previous post: last time i checked i rad a page aboute every 40-50 seconds.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Holy shit you guys are fast readers! I'm more in the ballpark of one book of normal novel length every three months or so (that's how long it takes to finish it, not like I finish it in a week, and wait 11 more to start another one).

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:25 am UTC

My average would be 1-2. It honestly depends on the week and it's workload. And also which book I am reading at the time. It took quite some time to finish Hallowe'en Party, but less than a day for New Moon. Overall, it varies but the average is 1-2 (decimals are included *nods*).
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Large Trout

Postby Large Trout » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:04 am UTC

Surgery wrote:Holy shit you guys are fast readers! I'm more in the ballpark of one book of normal novel length every three months or so (that's how long it takes to finish it, not like I finish it in a week, and wait 11 more to start another one).

I'm about the same. I'm a really slow reader. I envy people who read fast. Perhaps I'm an idiot. Ironically I can touch type like a rabbit on heat.

teamcorndog

Postby teamcorndog » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

College ruined me for book reading... During my senior year I had to read about 1000+ pages per week in two languages. Once I graduated I completely stopped reading books for a while, and I don't think I'll ever read more than one book per week (and that's only if it's amazingly good).

Return to “Books”