The Rule of Four

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Leah

The Rule of Four

Postby Leah » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

I read this on holiday a few years ago and I just heard that it may be being made into a film. I say may because I can't always trust this source. I was just wondering if anybody else had read it. It was dubbed "The Da Vinci Code for people with brains" but, other than the fact that they were both quest based, I saw very few similarities. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys Renaissance science, history, architecture, and art mixed in with a bit of mystery. The story involves two students who are trying to crack the mystery of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Re: The Rule of Four

Postby bbctol » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

It was more like "The da Vinci code for people with slightly more brains thatn people who read the da Vinci code, but not really a whole lot of brains." It's still a ridiculous conspiray theory type thing, but at least the author did some research, and his prose isn't painful.

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:33 am UTC

It's actually a decent book. It's similar to Dan Brown's stuff in the whole fast-paced adventure conspiracy thing, but the prose isn't complete crap! (Before anyone gets excited, pay attention to the use of the word "complete.")
I read it because the authors' (yes, there were two authors) grant went towards humanities at my school. A couple humanities teachers decided to use that money to...*dramatic noise* build a dugout canoe. Why? Because we're just that cool.

(Sorry! I said basically the same thing as others, but I felt guilty piping up with "HAHA WE built a canoe!" without giving the book a brief review first.)
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

You're doing it wrong: it's like this.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:11 am UTC

There was no good reason to bring the Illuminati into this.

Then again, they probably wrote it as a fringe group that looks like it's against the Illuminati but is actually getting people to subscribe to the Rule of Fours so they'll...something about drugs and probably an orgy or two.

So basically the book is the Illuminatus! Trilogy, but for people with less brains, but still more mental faculties than the Da Vinci code set.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

larryad111

Postby larryad111 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

I made it to page 120 out of 368. I am bored stiff. This book moves way too slow. I quit.

big boss

Postby big boss » Thu May 13, 2010 3:36 am UTC

I read it a while ago, can't remember too much of it. Its a good read if you looking to be entertained, but otherwise doesn't have much literary merit i think.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Sun May 16, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Slight rant: Since Da Vinci Code (DVC), almost every novel with history/artefacts/ancient writings have been promoted as "the next Da Vinci Code", even though they are very different from DVC. This kind of made me think Rule of Four was another one of those books trying to cash in on DVC mania - then I realized that Rule of Four was actually written before DVC came out.

Indeed Rule of Four is very different. Perhaps too slow-paced for Da Vinci Code fans. I read it a long time ago, and I remember being quite impressed by the well-defined characters and back stories. It felt like more of a drama, rather than the life/death urgency of DVC (my memory is fuzzy, but I recall the characters had enough leisure time to attend parties and have underground paint-ball fights).

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

mercuryseven wrote:Indeed Rule of Four is very different. Perhaps too slow-paced for Da Vinci Code fans. I read it a long time ago, and I remember being quite impressed by the well-defined characters and back stories. It felt like more of a drama, rather than the life/death urgency of DVC (my memory is fuzzy, but I recall the characters had enough leisure time to attend parties and have underground paint-ball fights).

The tighter (albeit slower-paced) writing did it for me. I kinda liked the little bait-and-switch: "Come for the cryptohistoric intrigue, stay for the college bromance." :P
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"

Return to “Books”