Books/Series that're a guilty pleasure

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

master_tonberry

Books/Series that're a guilty pleasure

Postby master_tonberry » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

Recently I've realised that there are some series I'm reading that aren't actually very good. But somehow I just can't stop reading them....
e.g. I've read about 6 or 7 books in the dresden files and although I don't think they're that good I really can't put them down.

In other words books that you feel guilty about reading but....you really enjoy reading too.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has any other series that're like that.

okay to start off:
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
and The Sten Series (I forget the author)
"Fear the Doink!"

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Re: Books/Series that're a guilty pleasure

Postby Antimony-120 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Despite being a fairly obvious plot structure and philosophically about as deep as a rain-puddle, I still just about shit myself every time I read John Dies at the End.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

Antimony-120 wrote:Despite being a fairly obvious plot structure and philosophically about as deep as a rain-puddle, I still just about shit myself every time I read John Dies at the End.

Bullshit.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

Gasp! I love the Dresden books and I'm not sorry! I think they get better with every book and I love them publicly and recommend them to my friends.

A real guilty pleasure set of books is the Queen Betsy novels. Chick-lit vampire romance? Doesn't get more guilty than that, my friends. Honestly, I love the contrast between what is actually kind of dark subject matter and the flighty, vain bimbo of a narrator. The combination works for me. Also, the relationship between Betsy and Jessica is pretty much exactly the relationship I have with my own best friend.

I have bought every book of this series the instant it's available. ;)

Ceorle

Postby Ceorle » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

The 1632 series (which are actually available online) are kind of pointless, and they should've suspended my disbelief and interest long ago, but here I am in 1635. (They're about an American town displaced into the middle of the thirty year war)Also, some of the books are little more than advancement and exposition.

Also I've read, like, twelve of the Stephanie Plum novels (by Janet Evanovich). Now that's a guilty pleasure. They're... almost... repeating themselves.

Also the Robert Jordan ones, which aren't good anymore, but I keep reading like a good little consumer. Because that's what those books are to me. Consumption run rampant.

Memo

Postby Memo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Harry Potter.

tiny

Postby tiny » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

Thomas Mann - The Magic Mountain.
Goddamnit, so much blahblah on so many pages! But I like it...
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:25 am UTC

I shall cop to reading Diana Gabaldon novels. But don't tell anyone.

:mrgreen:

steewi

Postby steewi » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Sookie Stackhouse novels
Traci Harding's Ancient Future (completely Mary Sue, with added typos and poor editing, but I keep coming back for some reason)
Ranger's Apprentice - sure, it's for kids, and it's a completely unoriginal world and plot, but it's just fun.

master_tonberry

Postby master_tonberry » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:22 am UTC

Masuri wrote:Gasp! I love the Dresden books and I'm not sorry! I think they get better with every book and I love them publicly and recommend them to my friends.

yeah they are getting better but I started reading them after reading the first 3 books of the alera codex so maybe my hopes were too high.

Harry Potter though...I actually like the books, but can't stand the movies...
"Fear the Doink!"

Kitation

Postby Kitation » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:12 am UTC

The Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop. It pretty much reads as a sex-ridden romance dressed up in gothic fantasy where everyone is amazing at everything. But I love it. It's fairly easy to read and the sexual scenes aren't explict.

I still break out the Dragonlance collection from time to time. I'm at that weird stage where I've "grown out" of that kind of easy generic fantasy, but I find "adult" fantasy like Song of Ice and Fire horribly boring, I just can't help but love Raistlin, still my favourite bad guy out of any books I've read.

Balalaika Gap

Postby Balalaika Gap » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot. The books are way better than the movies, but... they're still teen chick-lit and I'm an adult and I feel a little bit goofy about loving them. Whenever I'm at the bookstore buying the latest one, I arm myself with an excuse ("I write teen chick-lit, so this is research!" Which is true, but I really like them for entertainment, not just research.).

I've never been in a situation where someone actually asked me for my excuse, but I always have it ready anyway.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

Jennifer Cruisie. At least she writes adult chick lit, and the characters tend to be a bit less sane than the standard shoes-in-NYC chick lit, but still.

And then on the opposite end of the (I guess still vaguely chick lit-y) spectrum: Tamora Pierce. Nothing like mindless teenage girl fantasy to take my mind off of real life!
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

master_tonberry

Postby master_tonberry » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

Balalaika Gap wrote:I've never been in a situation where someone actually asked me for my excuse, but I always have it ready anyway.

I always have an excuse ready too but no-one ever asks for them......except way way after I've forgotten what the excuse actually was, and then I just do my fish impression.

Oh and almost anything written by Tom Clancy. I liked his books at first but I can only ake so much of his underlying theme of "America rules. So there" (I'm a brit). Rainbow Six is an exception though.
"Fear the Doink!"

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

I love the Harry Dresden books!

Also, Harry Potter and Alex Rider. My excuse is always that I'm reading them to see if I think my kids will like them :) I just bought Uglies for the exact same reason, honest :)

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

Damn you and your insulting one of my favourite series. I LOVE The Dresden Files.

Guilty Pleasures, huh? Nothing really springs to mind, as HP isn't really a pleasure.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

j'suis tres chic

Postby j'suis tres chic » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Harry Potter, and Agatha Christie/Dorothy Sayers/other mystery books.

I also am rather addicted to horrible, pointless, high-school chick-lit. It's sad.

Nyssa

Postby Nyssa » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

Kitation wrote:The Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop. It pretty much reads as a sex-ridden romance dressed up in gothic fantasy where everyone is amazing at everything. But I love it. It's fairly easy to read and the sexual scenes aren't explict.

I actually take mild offense to this. First off, it's not primarily a romance. I'd put that down as a third catergory descriptor if anything. Second, while it is full of sex, the author, to my memory, only describes one sex scene in the entire trilogy and it isn't even completed. The rest of the "sex scenes" in the book are references to things people went on to do or did that don't last more than a sentence along the lines of "Frank and Mary-Jo learned the ways of love that night" or some such euphemism.

Secondly, everyone is not amazing at everything. That is the focus of the book, the keystone to the plot, is the imbalance of power in an incestuous matriarchal society.

They are a set of amazing books that deal with social, government, sex-roles, and sexual issues, flipping everything upsidedown and placing it in a fantasy setting. The author has a way with writing about the dark sides of things that I haven't quite been able to find in other books, she likes to question values and morality as seen by society. To write that set off as "sex ridden romance dressed up in gothic fantasy" and then say that you love the trilogy (yes, I know there are more than three books set in the realm) is insulting.

/rant
I've been sent to give you a singing mammogram.

spacecase

Postby spacecase » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Tamora Pierce's Tortall books.

Basically, I started reading The Lioness Quartet when I was in seventh grade, and it would seem like a real shame to not keep up to date with them now, since I know the characters so well...and kind-of-still-love-the-books.
If I am not for myself, who will be?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:37 am UTC

a few years back i was rather obsessed with star Wars books... i most have read at least 30 of em. definitely not great works of literature but some how i couldn't stop. I guess its the nerd in me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

GonzoMcFonzo

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:16 am UTC

I'm going to second Star Wars, although the pleasure has recently gone out of that series for me. Another of mine is pretty much anyhting written by David Webber (including 1633). It's all predictable, over the top, not very original military SF, with most series being dominated by his Mary-Sue charachters, but I just can't get enough of it!
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:54 am UTC

A few years ago I re-read a few books that I haven't read since 4th grade. Goosebumps. Back then I would tear through them during lunch in a few days. Now I tear through them during lunch in one sitting. They're not bad for a quick read.

Deep Thought

Postby Deep Thought » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:14 am UTC

The MythAdventure series. They started out as some of the best whimsical fantasy books in existence. Then Asprin began "co-authoring" with Jody Lynn Nye. And his books began sucking. They're so character driven that not even Jody Lynn Nye can write the books. It has to be him. And yet... I still read them. Even though they're being churned out several times a year.

That and, er, *cough* the Stephanie Meyer books*cough*

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

I think the only books I've read lately that weren't high literature were Neil Gaiman novels. I'm still going back and forth between "fiction god" and "literary Snickers bar" in my opinion of him.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:53 am UTC

Narsil wrote:I think the only books I've read lately that weren't high literature were Neil Gaiman novels. I'm still going back and forth between "fiction god" and "literary Snickers bar" in my opinion of him.

Both. It's what makes the man so very amazing.

(And my latest reading pleasure- Mercedes Lackey. I swear my brain is just going to start oozing out my ears if I keep this up.)
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

karmiclube
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby karmiclube » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:15 am UTC

romance novels. i justify this by sticking to a few select authors, and avoiding the harlequin series and other dime a dozen "billionaire who won't take no for an answer finds himself attracted to his extraordinarily hot secretary/vice president/neighbor/childhood friend/etc who's very stubborn and oh look at that after lots of hot sex they get married and it's just great LE SIGH~" types. to my chagrin, though, i've encountered a lamentable tendency to read a book that winds up being the first (or middle, as is usually the case) in a series in which a humongous family/gentleman's club each finds themselves married to their one true love (usually after lots of hot sex, heh)

for all that, though, the dialog is usually amusing, and i'm a sucker for regency england.

Spoiler:
the downside is i've discovered that the author with the steamiest/x-rated love scenes (bertrice small, anyone?)...well, the writing isn't as great as i remember. plus she uses "ejaculate" as a word indicating that someone said something, so when there's a conversation between two characters, suddenly seeing "'my god!' he ejaculated" is initially quiiiite confusing. and hilarious.
Spoiler:

ian

Postby ian » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:35 am UTC

Although I do read a bit of what I can only call comic fiction, as well as the occasional star wars or sci-fi book (or Potter), I don't really consider any of it a guilty pleasure. Though I do often see it as a reward of kind, for reading something a bit more heavy going.

watchayakan

Postby watchayakan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

The Harry Potter series! Not only am I generally not into fantasy, but I'm also not into mediocre writing! However, the plot just captured me beyond belief.

The Ender series is also very much so out of my normal genre, but I find no guilt in that! I cannot wait for Shadows in Flight!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:45 am UTC

Vampire Hunter D - completely ridiculous, but hawtsome.

Fruits Basket, and to a lesser extent Ranma1/2 -the guilt stemming mainly from introducing my 12 year old brother to them. (No offense to anyone, the pastel colors, and love stories just make them seem really girly to me; feel free to reassure me it is not possible to turn someone gay.)

Killy_mcgee

Postby Killy_mcgee » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:14 pm UTC

Uhhh...I'd say anything by Sharon Creech. They always seem to be girly and yet...I just can't put them down. Like Absolutely Normal Chaos.I LOVE THAT ONE
[insert random quote/ some stupid "bunny takes over world" thing.]
FUCK BUNNIES.

aeki

Postby aeki » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:07 am UTC

Stephanie Plum books for me. Yeah, there's a lot of discussion about how much eye makeup she's wearing and how many doughnuts she's eating, and she spends way too much time waffling between love interests which is getting old as the series gets longer, but they're funny, damn it. Plus, there are exploding cars, and who doesn't love exploding cars?

I was lukewarm on the Dresden series at first, but they do get better as they go on. I also watched the television series they made out of it, which was mildly entertaining in a cheesy-sci-fi-not-really-much-to-do-with-the-books sort of way.

karmiclube wrote:romance novels

I highly recommend http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/. I'm not even into romance (much) and I still read that site every day.

Anri

Postby Anri » Sat May 03, 2008 9:27 am UTC

Everything by Laurell K. Hamilton. Vampires and sex and violence and more sex and orgies and werepeople and more sex and more orgies.

She even named one of her books Guilty Pleasures.

Severus Severance

Postby Severus Severance » Sun May 04, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

Maximum Ride.

The books are terrible plot-wise, but I've been in the fandom too long to up and leave.

(All right, all right, I write fanfic for it, so sue me.)

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon May 05, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, so obvious and cliché, but I can't help myself.

oh, and The Wheel of Time Series, one of my favourite series of books, even if nothing happens...ever. I swear, those books could be 3 pages long and still have the same plot advancement, but I continue to read, in the hope Rand will go crazy and kill everyone.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Tue May 06, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

Anri wrote:Everything by Laurell K. Hamilton. Vampires and sex and violence and more sex and orgies and werepeople and more sex and more orgies.

I used to like this series. Then the sex and orgies chased out pretty much everything else, and I had to stop. It's not even the orgies, so much as the constant cycle of Anita banging the entire free world, then having a freakout, then 'accidentally' banging 3 more guys, then having another freakout. It's like vicariously experiencing a bad relationship with some crazy fundamentalist Christian girl who tears your clothes off for 15 minutes of fun, then agonizes and sobs about what a whore she is for 3 hours afterward.

Pass!

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu May 08, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Junie B. Jones and anything else by Barbara Park. If anything, her books are funnier to me now than they were when I used to read them in elementary school. Throw some Wayside School and other Sachar stuff on the pile as long as we're at it.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Thu May 08, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Masuri wrote:
Anri wrote:Everything by Laurell K. Hamilton. Vampires and sex and violence and more sex and orgies and werepeople and more sex and more orgies.

I used to like this series. Then the sex and orgies chased out pretty much everything else, and I had to stop. It's not even the orgies, so much as the constant cycle of Anita banging the entire free world, then having a freakout, then 'accidentally' banging 3 more guys, then having another freakout. It's like vicariously experiencing a bad relationship with some crazy fundamentalist Christian girl who tears your clothes off for 15 minutes of fun, then agonizes and sobs about what a whore she is for 3 hours afterward.

Pass!
Yeah, I finished with her a few years ago. When I recommend the series to someone, I tell them to start at the beginning, and read until it gets to be too much, then stop. Because it's progressive, and it just keeps going.

And it's not just that it's basically disguised porn towards the end, it's that it's bad. The characters are never enjoying it. Too many "his eyes were a little too wide", not enough, "I felt a stirring in my loins just from watching".

A nice counterpoint to that is the Southern Vampire series from Charlaine Harris. She put the fun back in sex.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun May 11, 2008 1:37 am UTC

I quite enjoyed the Anita Blake books, borrowed 1-13 off a friend (and was surprised at what she was reading!) and read them all one after another. Haven't had the motivation to read the one or two that have come out since. I do love the blurb for Danse Macarbe, though: 'Now Anita Blake is facing what every single Catholic woman fears the most: pregnancy!' Especially when pretty much none of her dozen or so lovers are human. Well, living human.

Martin Middleton is a guilty pleasure that I'm often tempted to reread. Very trashy fantasy, with a nice amount of detail on the weaponry and the battles.

Pool of Radiance is one of my all time favourite books, and a bit of a guilty pleasure. It's a novelisation of the PC RPG game, and that's exactly what it reads like.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Return to “Books”