Books everyone seems to like that you think are bad

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

l33t_sas

Books everyone seems to like that you think are bad

Postby l33t_sas » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:55 am UTC

Is there any books that everyone seems to like but you not only dislike them personally, but think they are just plain bad. (For example not liking a book because the prose is too long-winded but you are still capable of respecting it does not count)

Terry Goodkind: World-famous fantasy author. I read the first book, Wizard's First Rule and it was just plain crap.
Dragonriders of Pern: I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I read Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon that came together in a 3-books-in-one kind of dealio and found them to be tedious and boring fantasy with one-dimensional characters fumbling around on "intelligent" dragons. The thin veneer of science fiction added to lend cred to her books made it nigh unbearable. I have no idea why these books are so lauded.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

katwingz18
Location: A cubicle - no, half of a cubicle, actually - somewhere in Indiana

Re: Books everyone seems to like that you think are bad

Postby katwingz18 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:18 am UTC

l33t_sas wrote:Terry Goodkind: World-famous fantasy author. I read the first book, Wizard's First Rule and it was just plain crap.

Might I inquire as to what, precisely, was crap about it? It is just that you were at least marginally specific in listing what you disliked about the Dragonriders series, so I was genuinely curious as to what it was about 'Wizard's First Rule' that compelled you to label it as simply being "crap."

As for myself, I rather liked 'Wizard's First Rule' (once I got all the way through it, which was a daunting exercise in and of itself). While it is probably true that the work as a whole was not the most original thing on the planet, there were several concepts in it that (at the time) I'd not come across before that I found to be rather intriguing (like the Confessors, for example).

But... I also happen to think that one of the book's major flaws was that it was not a stand-alone. Had Goodkind left it as a stand-alone, I might have protested your label a little bit more vehemently than this, but as it stands, considering that I made myself read all the way through 'Faith of the Fallen' before recognizing my reluctance to read the rest of the series for what it was, I can't honestly say that I blame you.

As for the Dragonriders critique, well... enh, to each their own I suppose. I read them when I was in middle school, and I remember liking them, but enough time has passed between then and now that I can safely say that I don't remember enough of her style to be able to come up with a proper counter-argument.

That, and it is a little after 3 a.m. here. My brain is telling me I either need to shut down, or else input enough manufactured stimulants to see me safely through another 24 hours. Decisions, decisions...
Afterism (n) - A concise, clever statement you don't think of until too late.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:38 am UTC

katwingz18 wrote:
l33t_sas wrote:Terry Goodkind: World-famous fantasy author. I read the first book, Wizard's First Rule and it was just plain crap.

Might I inquire as to what, precisely, was crap about it? It is just that you were at least marginally specific in listing what you disliked about the Dragonriders series, so I was genuinely curious as to what it was about 'Wizard's First Rule' that compelled you to label it as simply being "crap."

There were two reasons for this:

1. I read the Pern books recently while WFR was over a year and a half ago
2. The Pern books seem to have a more rabid fan base.

Nevertheless, I'll try to answer your question.

From my knowledge the writing itself was pretty bad. That is to say the prose itself was bad. I cannot recall what exactly made me think this but I remember being bored to tears by it.
The plot seemed way too derivative and cliched and the plot twists were really obvious. I vaguely remember the introduction talking about "A great wizard who had disappeared from the land" or something like that and then the story starts and the main character (Richard) is friends with a strange old mystical hermit who lives by himself. The book treats the protagonist as some kind of genius when he figures it out and I'm left scratching my head wondering whether the main character is supposed to be retarded. You can see the relationship between Richard and the chick-whose-name-starts-with K from the get-go. The dialogue is awful... just everything about it. Even the name of the series. Sword of Truth? COME ON, it's books like these that cause the fantasy genre to be met with derision and ridicule. To be honest it reminded me of a slightly-more-adult Eragon. (Yes I went there)
I don't know, it might be better if I read the sequel but isn't the first book in the series supposed to be good enough stand alone to convince me to read the stories? And unless Goodkind suddenly changed all the characters in the novel and somehow magically learned how to write, I don't see how the following books could have become any better.

Sorry if this sounds to bitter but I had to read it for school and it was like 1000 pages long. Ugh.

FoS

Postby FoS » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:04 am UTC

Seconded on the Terry Goodkind. If I want to involve myself with whiney useless oxygen thieves that ruin a good story I'll rewatch Evangelion.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

kkariena

Postby kkariena » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Lord of the Flies - Cannot stand this book, could never make it past the first two pages. I kinda got out of reading it because I went on a mission trip that took me out of school about two weeks early interupting the required reading of this book.

Where the Red Fern Grows - Never liked this one either, couldn't bring myself to read it even with the weekly quizzes that were thrust down our throats to get us to endure this torture. Finally watched the movie and managed to pass one quiz or two.
It's a bad night when your dream consists of a Power Ranger team and they have to sing and dance to defeat the bad guy.

"Do not use to pick up gasoline or flamable objects. Do not use to pick up anything burning." - Vacume Cleaner Warning

simo

Postby simo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:18 am UTC

Harry (f*cking) Potter - Seriously, why was everyone so obsessed with that trash. I read 3 pages and felt disgusted at society, I had to read some Tolkien just to purge my brain.

Rich Dad Poor Dad - Apparently the best selling financial advice book in the US. I read the whole thing through In a day, I picked up one point in the whole book, the whole book, he made one point. That buying a house is not a good investment. The rest was just him gloating with, as it now turns out, completely fictional stories. Ironically, his one piece of advice was wrong. Buying a house is a GOOD investment. Grr, if I ever meet that guy I'm gonna castrate him with a spoon.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:19 am UTC

l33t_sas wrote:Dragonriders of Pern: I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I read Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon that came together in a 3-books-in-one kind of dealio and found them to be tedious and boring fantasy with one-dimensional characters fumbling around on "intelligent" dragons. The thin veneer of science fiction added to lend cred to her books made it nigh unbearable. I have no idea why these books are so lauded.

Word. I read those when I was 12 or 13, and I remember thinking that it was insulting to my intelligence, even back then. Of course, if I actually say that out loud, I am beaten to death by the dozens of girls I know who own every single one.

I would like to add:

1.) Half of everything Bradbury's ever written. Half of his stories are truly amazing, and the other half are examples on how someone can ruin perfectly good paper with literary diarrhea.

2.) Everything Dean Koontz wrote after 1993 (Except Intensity and.... nope, that's it). Seriously, did he suffer f***ing head trauma that year?

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:30 am UTC

Wait, Jalapeno, the title of this thread is "Books everyone seems to like that you think are bad". My question to you is who actually thinks Dean Koontz is good?
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:51 am UTC

The thread could easilly be about both, just to avoid making a new thread. For example, I hated A Doll's House, but everyone else I know loves it. I liked Harry Potter book 3, because it was the only book to have more back-story than just "I knew your father; now repeat my name for half a chapter" and had a plot beyond "oh no! Voldemort!"
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:53 am UTC

I'm so so sorry, and I known I shall be destroyed for saying such, but...I didn't much love American Gods, I just found it slow and not in the slightest bit compelling and I was willing it to end.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

btilly

Postby btilly » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:06 am UTC

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. I read it. I found the characters to be cardboard cutouts who did more to inform me about his sexual fantasies than to entertain me. Yet lots of friends love it.

Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey. (Author of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.) My father-in-law thinks it is the great American novel with great insight into human nature. A lot of Amazon reviewers agree. I think its "insights" are just Freud partially digested and regurgitated. OK, you become a Real Man by symbolically killing your father, and the most effective way to do that is to screw his wife. I've got the idea. It is BS. But I've got it. Really, you can stop any time now.

The Bible :twisted:
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:11 am UTC

btilly wrote:The Bible :twisted:

Are there any people here that actually think the bible is good? :shock:

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:25 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:I'm so so sorry, and I known I shall be destroyed for saying such, but...I didn't much love American Gods, I just found it slow and not in the slightest bit compelling and I was willing it to end.

There is nothing you can do to redeem yourself for what you have said just now.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:32 am UTC

The Looking-Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. What I want to know is how this ridiculous project ever got green-lit. "Okay, we're going to take the producer of There's Something About Mary, give him free license with Alice in Wonderland despite the fact that he always hated it, and let him turn it into a video game written in a 12-year-old's style. Brilliant!" There are no words outside the book strong enough to describe my loathing of it, so I'll post some of the damn thing to explain just why I hate it so much:

"After twelve years, the daily life of Wonderlandhad returned to what might be called "normal". Were you to walk Wondertropolis' gleaming streets, enjoying the sight of its jagged crystal buildings and shop fronts, were you to pass the stations where Wonderlanders arrived for work in sleek glass tubes hovering on cushions of air, were you to stop and purchase a tarty tart from a vendor and relish its tarty tart flavor bursting upon your tongue, you would never have known that in certain back allers, on certain open plains, precautions were being taken: regiments of card soldiers put through military maneuvers, transports produced, weapons of attack and defense designed and tested. And you would not have been alone."

The only thing more depressing than the rave reviews this trash got is the fact that it's rated as high school reading.

I also hate One Hundred Years of Solitude. I didn't find it "magical", I found it alternately disgusting and boring. I'm an English tutor, and my student had to read it for school. When I asked him what he thought the point of the book was, he shrugged and went "I don't know... Life sucks, and so does South America?"

kkariena

Postby kkariena » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:54 am UTC

l33t_sas wrote:

Yes @.@ *waves flag* Gotta love theology! Tis fun! ^_^
It's a bad night when your dream consists of a Power Ranger team and they have to sing and dance to defeat the bad guy.

"Do not use to pick up gasoline or flamable objects. Do not use to pick up anything burning." - Vacume Cleaner Warning

btilly

Postby btilly » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:04 am UTC

kkariena wrote:
l33t_sas wrote:

Yes @.@ *waves flag* Gotta love theology! Tis fun! ^_^

Here, go buy The Jesus Puzzle and get back to us. :mrgreen:
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:35 am UTC

Kendo_Bunny wrote:The Looking-Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. What I want to know is how this ridiculous project ever got green-lit. "Okay, we're going to take the producer of There's Something About Mary, give him free license with Alice in Wonderland despite the fact that he always hated it, and let him turn it into a video game written in a 12-year-old's style. Brilliant!" There are no words outside the book strong enough to describe my loathing of it, so I'll post some of the damn thing to explain just why I hate it so much:

"After twelve years, the daily life of Wonderlandhad returned to what might be called "normal". Were you to walk Wondertropolis' gleaming streets, enjoying the sight of its jagged crystal buildings and shop fronts, were you to pass the stations where Wonderlanders arrived for work in sleek glass tubes hovering on cushions of air, were you to stop and purchase a tarty tart from a vendor and relish its tarty tart flavor bursting upon your tongue, you would never have known that in certain back allers, on certain open plains, precautions were being taken: regiments of card soldiers put through military maneuvers, transports produced, weapons of attack and defense designed and tested. And you would not have been alone."

The only thing more depressing than the rave reviews this trash got is the fact that it's rated as high school reading.

I don't know, that post kinda makes me want to track this down. It seems interesting.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

akashra

Postby akashra » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:34 am UTC

Fellowship. Look, I know they made a great movie, and I know it's epic... but it's just so... I dunno. The Hobbit was so much better. And shorter too!
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

Brandon Sanderson

Postby Brandon Sanderson » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:54 am UTC

James Joyce.

I like most of the literature cannon, even ones that other people complain about. Loved Moby Dick, for instance. But Joyce...never been able to stand him. Even after getting two degrees in English and having numerous professors work to convince me that he was brilliant, I can't stand his writing. He just feels like he's trying too hard to me--as if he intentionally fabricated something that he knew would become 'great literature' for the pure reason of writing 'great literature' rather than actually trying to say something or add to the conversation.

But maybe I'm bitter at being forced to read "The Dead" four times in high school.

kkariena

Postby kkariena » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:04 am UTC

you know... now that I think about it, the daVinci Code was actually not that great of a book. Brain just started working again for some reason. While it had a very disturbingly convicing, however inacurate, arguement for the Jesus/Mary Magnaline marriage thing it was highly disapointing in the presentation of the arguement and plot.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:09 am UTC

I agree about the Pern books, or at least the first one which is as far as I got. Maybe it's one of those things where a book seems cliched because subsequent ones have all copied it. But I seem to recall finding the romance/sexual tension element more cliched than the rest of it, and that stuff has been around for millennia.

Also, dare I say it, I find Heinlein rather juvenile. And Piers Anthony doubly so.

My all time worst (popular) book:
I borrowed a library book once called The Ancient Future, which appeared to be some sort of time travel fantasy thing. I read about 60 pages (didn't take long), thought "This is shit," and returned it, making it one of the few books I've deliberately not bothered to finish. And yet, over the intervening years, I've noticed its sequels popping up on the bestseller displays at bookstores. So clearly someone likes 'em, but damn those first 60 pages were dire.

And ya, the DaVinci Code, whilst presenting an interesting (if not actually new) premise, had a writing style that screamed "airport paperback".

Memo

Postby Memo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:32 am UTC

One Hundred Years of Solitude. I don't remember why but I hated it when I had to read it for school. I find Marques' style annoying.

The Little Prince. What's the big deal about it? It's just a big metaphor made book.

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:40 am UTC

My question to you is who actually thinks Dean Koontz is good?

:oops: I may be young and naive, but I find his still style light and entertaining. He seems a proficient writer, but his books aren't the greatest. You kinda feel he would make awesome segues for television.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:41 am UTC

Brandon Sanderson wrote:James Joyce.

I like most of the literature cannon, even ones that other people complain about. Loved Moby Dick, for instance. But Joyce...never been able to stand him. Even after getting two degrees in English and having numerous professors work to convince me that he was brilliant, I can't stand his writing. He just feels like he's trying too hard to me--as if he intentionally fabricated something that he knew would become 'great literature' for the pure reason of writing 'great literature' rather than actually trying to say something or add to the conversation.

But maybe I'm bitter at being forced to read "The Dead" four times in high school.
Is this really shocking? Really?
The man was a raging egoist and he was very aware of his own intelligence. If "Finnegan's Wake" isn't proof of that, I don't know what is.

Gaz wrote:
My question to you is who actually thinks Dean Koontz is good?

:oops: I may be young and naive, but I find his still style light and entertaining. He seems a proficient writer, but his books aren't the greatest. You kinda feel he would make awesome segues for television.

No, you're right. And that one book? About that guy whose prenatal conditions gave him powers? Oooh, with the deranged irredeemable serial killer? Brilliant.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:15 am UTC

Narsil wrote:Wait, Jalapeno, the title of this thread is "Books everyone seems to like that you think are bad". My question to you is who actually thinks Dean Koontz is good?

He sells... a lot of books. :(

If people want to read my Dean Koontz Review articles...

http://mightyjalapenoreviews.blogspot.com/2006/01/literary-review-selected-works-of-dean.html

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:49 am UTC

simo wrote:Harry (f*cking) Potter - Seriously, why was everyone so obsessed with that trash. I read 3 pages and felt disgusted at society, I had to read some Tolkien just to purge my brain.

Rich Dad Poor Dad - Apparently the best selling financial advice book in the US. I read the whole thing through In a day, I picked up one point in the whole book, the whole book, he made one point. That buying a house is not a good investment. The rest was just him gloating with, as it now turns out, completely fictional stories. Ironically, his one piece of advice was wrong. Buying a house is a GOOD investment. Grr, if I ever meet that guy I'm gonna castrate him with a spoon.

I'll go out on a limb and say the following sentence that would get me strangled in public:

However convoluted the Lord of the Rings mythology, the HP universe stands neck and neck. The ridiculous backstories for every horse, sword and character meet their match in Rowling's deft references to earlier books, letting you know just how much she had planned out. Wherever your vehement hatred of the series arises, I urge you to try again and read beyond the opening chapter of the first book (the "Vernon" narration is the worst part of the series by all accounts).

IMHO, Peter Jackson improved the Lord of the Rings series as entertainment (as opposed to a textbook) by removing the fat and focusing on the story. The book was a product of its time and so is the Jackson film trilogy. Certainly Rowling differs from Tolkien and not all may enjoy her more direct style, but it's tough to deny that the HP books are some fiendishly well-written little thrillers.

Take any popular favorites of any medium: Star Wars, Calvin & Hobbes, The Beatles, Harry Potter - there's always that 5% of people who just don't "get" it. Well, they don't have to "get" it. Diff'rent strokes.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:58 am UTC

Deft references to earlier books does not show planning.... deft references to books yet written shows planning.

But you're right. You don't need to get it.

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:40 am UTC

Flying Betty wrote:I don't know, that post kinda makes me want to track this down. It seems interesting.

Maybe that much didn't do it justice, but it's nothing but a series of explosions, villians who are alternately way too sighted or way too stupid, and creepy pedophilic undertones (plus the run-ons!). Half the jokes revolve around the fact that one of the villians has a huge ass. For excitement, I'd suggest settling in with 'Robin Hood', for creepy Alice in Wonderland alterations, just play the video game Alice.

If you even remotely liked Alice in Wonderland, you will hate The Looking-Glass Wars.

FoS

Postby FoS » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:43 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:
simo wrote:IMHO, Peter Jackson improved the Lord of the Rings series as entertainment (as opposed to a textbook) by removing the fat and focusing on the story. The book was a product of its time and so is the Jackson film trilogy.

May you be struck down by termites.
"...working as intended"

LoopQuantumGravity

Postby LoopQuantumGravity » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:34 am UTC

FoS wrote:
Clumpy wrote:
simo wrote:IMHO, Peter Jackson improved the Lord of the Rings series as entertainment (as opposed to a textbook) by removing the fat and focusing on the story. The book was a product of its time and so is the Jackson film trilogy.

The movie did not include all those fucking songs, which automatically makes it an improvement. It also excised the overly long winded descriptions of very simple things. I mean, I love the books as much as anyone else, but, jesus, they do drag on at times.

And Harry Potter is excellent if you read it without any prejudice about what it "should" be. It does have lots of subtle (and not subtle) references to things that come a lot later, and is written in a very clear and not convoluted writing style, (that, apparently, a lot of people have a problem with, for some reason).
I study theoretical physics & strings, and am a recipient of the prestigious Jayne Cobb Hero of Canton award.

And the science gets done and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive!

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

To be honest, what I have read of 1984 has felt a bit dry. I'll probably get through it eventually, but probably as the last book I get through.

I wonder if there's an opposite thread for this one, hmm, shall search for and/or make.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

simo

Postby simo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

LoopQuantumGravity wrote:
FoS wrote:
Clumpy wrote:

WTF?! lol Im being flagrently misquoted, I didnt say that! LOL!

Edit: I guess someone just copied and pasted tags. :roll:

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

LoopQuantumGravity wrote:And Harry Potter is excellent if you read it without any prejudice about what it "should" be. It does have lots of subtle (and not subtle) references to things that come a lot later, and is written in a very clear and not convoluted writing style, (that, apparently, a lot of people have a problem with, for some reason).

I agree.

Because it's enjoyed by a lot of adults, many other adults seem to feel that it "should" be a book (or a series of books) for adults.

It's not. It's aimed at 10-11 year olds. The fact that adults find it even readable is pretty much unique among contemporary children's fiction.

I also enjoy the Dragonriders of Pern books. Pure escapism that's not too challenging. I read them for fun, not because I expect them to be great literature. I read them when I don't feel like being challenged or reading great literature. The ones written by her son, though, are just plain bad. But nobody likes them,so they don't count for this thread.

Books that everyone likes that I think are bad...hmm. A sadly large number.

Pride and Prejudice (not just a style thing, I liked several of her others).
Bridget Jones' Diary. It was okay to start with. But after the first thirty pages or so, it was just more of the same.
Series of Unfortunate Events books 2-. Ditto. The first book was hilarious, even if it is a short story disguised as an actual book by use of huge font, vast margins, thick paper and hardcovers. Why are there another twelve or so, all identical except for the name of the villain? Sure...kids' books, I'm an adult...but even my kids got bored pretty fast.
Angels and Demons. Now I know why the Catholic Church got so upset about the Da Vinci Code. The physics is so bad even a ten minute look at wikipedia would have improved it. I've poked fun at fanfiction which has involved more research than this.
La Peste (The Plague). Pretentious existentialist drivel. After twenty pages of this I wished they'd all hurry up and die from it already. I have no idea whether the protagonist lived or died, and don't care.
Every Dune book involving the Honoured Matres (five and six?). Thinly disguised porn, and dull porn at that.
Mercedes Lackey's "Bedlam's Bard". Again, I wasn't expecting great literature, I was expecting a cracking good, easily read, feel-good story. What I got was a whingy Marty Stu and his cardboard cutout friends being part of a trendy Californian "scene". Most of her fans seem to think it's wonderful. I can't even get through it.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Deft references to earlier books does not show planning.... deft references to books yet written shows planning.

But you're right. You don't need to get it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. "Trivial" events in earlier books ended up being significant (in a way that let you know it had been planned), and little quips made by certain characters in earlier novels ended up being crucial toward the end.

And I'm not sorry to say that I was bored silly by the LOTR trilogy (well, technically one book sold in three sections for convenience). I finally got halfway through Return of the King before I realized that I wasn't enjoying it. It's the prose and unnecessary exposition. Again, LOTR (the book trilogy) is a textbook with a great story within.

nonorganon

Postby nonorganon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:49 am UTC

Heinlein, I have so much hate for Heinlein. Moorcock summed it up beautifully in Starship Stormtroopers.

Narsil wrote:
Brandon Sanderson wrote:James Joyce.

Is this really shocking? Really?
The man was a raging egoist and he was very aware of his own intelligence. If "Finnegan's Wake" isn't proof of that, I don't know what is.

ohnoes someone has written a book that only the very well-read would understand and those of a similar mindset would appreciates :shock: :? :x :cry:bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk to u goodhuman :?: [/snark]

On a more serious note, you don't have to recognize others' judgments in the murky realms of aesthetics, politics and so on but by deign of the influence of the works left to us.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:20 am UTC

kkariena wrote:you know... now that I think about it, the daVinci Code was actually not that great of a book. Brain just started working again for some reason. While it had a very disturbingly convicing, however inacurate, arguement for the Jesus/Mary Magnaline marriage thing it was highly disapointing in the presentation of the arguement and plot.

Again, does anyone around here actually think the Da Vinci code is a good book? Or as Stephen Fry put it:
"It is complete loose-stool-water. Arse-gravy of the very worst kind."
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

FoS

Postby FoS » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:34 am UTC

simo wrote:
LoopQuantumGravity wrote:
FoS wrote:
Clumpy wrote:IMHO, Peter Jackson improved the Lord of the Rings series as entertainment (as opposed to a textbook) by removing the fat and focusing on the story. The book was a product of its time and so is the Jackson film trilogy.

WTF?! lol Im being flagrently misquoted, I didnt say that! LOL!

Edit: I guess someone just copied and pasted tags. :roll:

Thats weird, I just clicked quote on my original reply. Apologies for the heinous slander.

But Clumpy should still get the Termites.
"...working as intended"

simo

Postby simo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:33 am UTC

FoS wrote:Thats weird, I just clicked quote on my original reply. Apologies for the heinous slander.

But Clumpy should still get the Termites.

Quite alright I'm sure. *tilts hat*

Agreed. hehe

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

I thought that the DaVinci code was trashy pulp fiction. I also happen to like trashy pulp fiction. Liked Angels and Demons for the same reason. But again... I like it becuase it's trashy pulp fiction, and I recognize it's bad, unlike a lot of other yahoos.

My issue with Harry Potter is not the books, but 1. the rabid fucking insane fandom. I will admit to having my presences in some fandoms, but that one... *SHUDDER* Fucking. Rabid. Insane. Fucktards. Garrghhh. and 2. how the later books get progressively more pretentious in misguided attempts to appeal to the rabid fans and to annoy some of the smaller subsets.

Now then.

Pern. God I hate pern, for pretty much the same reasons everyone mentioned. I also hate everything Marion Zimmer Bradley has ever written for pretty much the same reasons. Darkover? Tried to make itself legit by pretending to be sci-fi. and it was bad sci-fi. and my mother owns EVERY SINGLE ONE. And Mists of Avalon? Ugh, long, dragged on, tried to be legit by pretending to be historical fiction. Failed. Miserably.

That said, I have to respect the woman behind the work, and as an EDITOR she's fantastic. Fantasy Magazine and the Sword and Sorceress series were great.

Robert Jordan. I tried, I really did, I got through the first book and half of the second before I just went "ARRRGHHHHH GENERIC QUEST FANTASY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

The Similarion. I'm sorry, if I wanted to read mythology, I'd go pick up some Greek, Roman, Japanese, Slavic, Norse, or hell, ANYTHING BUT THE SIMILARION, becuase dear god is it boring. I would seriously rather read the Nihonji and Kojiki than that.

I managed to get through all of Looking Glass Wars, and I agree that it is essentially bad, angry fanfiction trash. I have written better fanfi... I mean, I don't write fanfiction. >>; My roommate, on the other hand, loved it and pushed it on me, and was like "THIZ IS TEH BEST BEWK EVAR". Of course, my roommate was also insane and a furry/Sesshomaru fangirl/angsty Werewolf LARPer (of the annoying, whiny variety). Which gives you an idea of the kinds of people who like that sort of book.

Agreed also on 1984. I never could get through it and found it just dull. Yes, he's trying to make some damn big point but bleeeeeeh.

*e* Oh. And the fora will murder me for this, but everything by Terry Pratchett. I'm sorry, but he just. Isn't. Funny. I have TRIED. I've tried to read about six Discworld books. And I keep getting goaded into more by friends going "Oh no no no, Mort really isn't any good, you'll like Guards! Guards! Much better." and inevitably I don't, I just find it badly written, boring trash that isn't remotely funny. I have also attempted to read Good Omens, and I got halfway through before realizing I was bored to tears. When Gaiman was doing it, it was great. The moment it got into long-winded unfunny Pratchett attempts to be funny, I was bored again.
If I wanted quirky weird sci-fi / fantasy comedy, I'd read Douglas Adams. Bleh, Pratchett. Bleh.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

ERAGON. Hardly even needs to be mentioned, actually, but let's go over this one piece by piece.

The plot is eerily familiar, by which I mean Star Wars.
The writing style is atrocious. Random switches into passive voice because you think it sounds cool. Placing words archaically to give it that old legendary feel. Obviously using a thesaurus at times.
You are not Tolkien. You are pulling your "language" out of your ass. Yes, Paolini, I've started directly talking to you, just because this pisses me off so damn much. Your language's grammar is English grammar. You just make up words, or just add an "a" to English words, or take them from Scandivanian languages, because they sound cool.
Your characters lack motivation, and act solely to advance a preset plot. Occasionally, they act irrationally, just to create an awesome action sequence.
In short, you are a pretentious, talentless asshole. Please die and never write again.

AAAARGH. Sorry for repeating what has been said, but had to get that off of my chest.

Return to “Books”