Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Re: 42 [The Hitchhiker's Thread]

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:00 pm UTC

So close, I'll give you 50 points...

Spoilered for the sake of it.
Spoiler:
Hell, join a third time and I'll welcome you. Or, if you want a handy tip on how not to be welcomed: start a blank thread on your Userpage, titled Welcome or Greetings from your ACE. I am/was an ACE, thus guilty of being a greeter [though I tended to try and concern myself more with helping folk who needed advice on html and stuff], and can tell you that the people who get greeted are those who we can see don't have any posts on their userpage... there's a special place we can look and everything. In my time, I've also left alone a few twice returners - if you say you've been here before on your page, any good ACE will just leave a note to say welcome back and not a lot else, so that noone else gets you.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

Also, it took up way too much time. *pretends that foruming doesn't do that now*
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:03 am UTC

Also: for the good of making it official, no-genius has now been awarded 200 points. Good for cookie-redemption.

Daelin

Postby Daelin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:39 am UTC

I read the whole series in-between calls at my old call-centre job, so I should probably read it again to enjoy it more.

But I have to say I liked the bit about God disappearing in a puff of logic.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:31 am UTC

I am quite fond of this scene, which I am sure you're all familiar with. (Spoiler'd for length)
Spoiler:
Another thing that got forgotten was the fact that against all probability a sperm whale had suddenly been called into existence several miles above the surface of an alien planet.

And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale any more.

This is a complete record of its thoughts from the moment it began its life till the moment it ended it.

Ah … ! What’s happening? it thought.

Er, excuse me, who am I?

Hello?

Why am I here? What’s my purpose in life?

What do I mean by who am I?

Calm down, get a grip now … oh! this is an interesting sensation, what is it? It’s a sort of … yawning, tingling sensation in my … my … well I suppose I’d better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let’s call it my stomach.

Good. Ooooh, it’s getting quite strong. And hey, what’s about this whistling roaring sound going past what I’m suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I can call that … wind! Is that a good name? It’ll do … perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I’ve found out what it’s for. It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it. Hey! What’s this thing? This … let’s call it a tail - yeah, tail. Hey! I can can really thrash it about pretty good can’t I? Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn’t seem to achieve very much but I’ll probably find out what it’s for later on. Now - have I built up any coherent picture of things yet?

No.

Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I’m quite dizzy with anticipation …

Or is it the wind?

There really is a lot of that now isn’t it?

And wow! Hey! What’s this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like … ow … ound … round … ground! That’s it! That’s a good name - ground!

I wonder if it will be friends with me?

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:47 am UTC

I've just listened to the Tertiary, Quandary, and Quintissential Phases again. So many funny bits, and the parts I was noticing most this time round were the slight changes to make it all come together in the end. Like the throw away line between Arthur and Fenchurch about reverse temporal engineering. Plus the new end-of-episode ads, and the changed ending which I really like in spite of general hatred for changes in adaptions.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:02 am UTC

I just listened to the entire series of the broadcasts on a particularly long car trip (to and from), and I'm left wondering: Is there anywhere you can get a copy of the song sang on Krikket? I thought the movie soundtrack might have it, but no go, and I can't seem to find it with google :\

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:26 am UTC

I thought I had a copy, but it looks like I don't. The complete lyrics are in the relevant script book, for what that's worth. Do they play the whole song at the end of one of the episodes? If so, it shouldn't be all that difficult to grab from there.

I should know, I only listened to it last weekend. Long train trip, though, for me, not car.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

TheMagicalTurtle

Postby TheMagicalTurtle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:I thought I had a copy, but it looks like I don't. The complete lyrics are in the relevant script book, for what that's worth. Do they play the whole song at the end of one of the episodes? If so, it shouldn't be all that difficult to grab from there.

I should know, I only listened to it last weekend. Long train trip, though, for me, not car.
Well, sorta. You can get part of it from the episode, then the rest from the end of it, but there's like a full lyric where the credits are still be spoken over it. The perfectionist in me is trying to find a version that isn't cut and pasted together like a ransom note.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:08 am UTC

Catching up on blogs today, I found this article about the Unreleased Sequel to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (as in the Infocom game.)

From an anonymous source close to the company, I've found myself in possession of the "Infocom Drive" — a complete backup of Infocom's shared network drive from 1989. This is one of the most amazing archives I've ever seen, a treasure chest documenting the rise and fall of the legendary interactive fiction game company. Among the assets included: design documents, email archives, employee phone numbers, sales figures, internal meeting notes, corporate newsletters, and the source code and game files for every released and unreleased game Infocom made.

For obvious reasons, I can't share the whole Infocom Drive. But I have to share some of the best parts. It's just too good.

So let's start with the most notorious — Milliways: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, the unreleased sequel to Infocom's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. For the first time, here's the full story: with never-before-seen design documents, internal emails, and two playable prototypes. Sit back, this might take a while.

3tard

Postby 3tard » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

So as it turns out, 9 times 6 equals forty-two in base 13.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

3tard wrote:So as it turns out, 9 times 6 equals forty-two in base 13.

"I may be a pretty sad person, but I don't make jokes in base thirteen"

-Douglas Adams

(It was unintentional. But still awesome.)
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Thu May 01, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Towel Day last year: me and a fellow fan were sitting in the pub at lunchtime with our six pints of bitter and four packets of peanuts, and I accidentally elbow'd a large quantity of beer all over the table (stupid ghent). My proudest ever moment was immediately jumping up and proclaiming "it's ok, I have a towel!" before cleaning it up- but I don't think anyone else in the pub got the joke.

It's a shame that leap years mean we have to wait until 2017 for Towel Day to fall on a Thursday.
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri May 02, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
3tard wrote:So as it turns out, 9 times 6 equals forty-two in base 13.

"I may be a pretty sad person, but I don't make jokes in base thirteen"

-Douglas Adams

(It was unintentional. But still awesome.)

I remember reading that, and it sure made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

@majikthise - that's pretty sweet. I always forget towel day. I have a friend who dreamed of constructing a survival-towel.. I'm not sure how far he got. I think he had a decent idea for a way to vitamin-enrich it.

johnie104

Postby johnie104 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

Ok. So I saw the movie and quite liked it. So I went to the library and wanted to rent the first book in the series, but it was already rented out. So was book 2 and book 3. So I had to do with 'So long and thanks for the fish' (translated to Dutch, because I couldn't find the english version there). So, I've finished reading the book now and I think it is quite, well weird. <has anyone noticed that every sentence untill now starts with 'so'?> I thought I was still in the introduction of the book when I found out I was already somewhere around the middle in the book. The whole book didn't seem to make much sence too.

Now I ask of you:
Are all the Hitchhikers book this way?
Was it stupid of me to not read the series in order?
To the ones who have read the english version and a translated version: Am I missing out on something by not reading it in English?
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu May 22, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

johnie104 wrote:Are all the Hitchhikers book this way?
What, weird. Yes, I'm afraid so. But no more than the film.
johnie104 wrote:Was it stupid of me to not read the series in order?
I didn't think it mattered THAT much but I still think you probably missed out on the optimal experience. Listen to the radio broadcasts instead if you don't like the books that much; as much as I did like the books the radio series is still my favourite.
johnie104 wrote:To the ones who have read the english version and a translated version: Am I missing out on something by not reading it in English?
This seems very, very likely. Not just for the sake of puns and such, but Arthur is so... English. I think perhaps something about the style gets lost outside the cultural context.
Fixed your tags - ST
Then again I have decided today to become an official self-proclaimed I.D.I.O.T* so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

*I was going to go with the joke and contemplating trying to find something this could be an acrynym for for a while but then remembered that I'm an idiot and found myself excempt from having to try to be clever**

**or from having to spell correctly, have good grammar or make any sense, so I didn't edit anything.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri May 23, 2008 5:51 am UTC

There are references to the previous books in each, but I don't think it would be a huge deal. I would second what Moo said though, listen to the original Radio Series first.

The first two books are adaptions of that, which was made up as it went along week by week. Making sense was optional. The later three books were written as novels, and I think that they sit together a lot better as a result. But it's all very random.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 am UTC

Daelin wrote:I read the whole series in-between calls at my old call-centre job, so I should probably read it again to enjoy it more.

But I have to say I liked the bit about God disappearing in a puff of logic.

Confuses the dickens out of me, that. Adams was a firm atheist, but that Guide segment sounds like a jab at atheists and fallacious arguments "proving" the nonexistence of deity ("Man goes to prove that black is white and gets killed at the next zebra crossing").

I didn't realize the possible double-entendre in the names Majikthise and Vroomfondel until a couple of weeks ago (although "Broomfondel", which I originally thought it was, would have been far more sexual).

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun May 25, 2008 10:05 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:Confuses the dickens out of me, that. Adams was a firm atheist, but that Guide segment sounds like a jab at atheists and fallacious arguments "proving" the nonexistence of deity ("Man goes to prove that black is white and gets killed at the next zebra crossing").

I'm not sure what flavour of atheist Adams was - I need to go back and double check - but I figured it was in the category of man trying to do what he clearly can not, such as prove/disprove God. It also keeps the nicely irreverent tone of the book up. I'm not sure it's the kind of series where he can really let anyone win :)

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun May 25, 2008 10:55 am UTC

Yeah. That's also why I loved Bloom County - the politics were obvious but Berke was an equal-opportunity mocker.

tinsin

Postby tinsin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Wonko the Sane would have to be my favorite.
He has a good point about the toothpicks.

"Hold stick near centre of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion." - Toothpick packet

I am currently listening to the radio show of the Hitchhiker's Guide, and I'm not sure whether the books or the radio was better.

Any opinions on this?

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

Radio. Definitely.

I read the books first, and listened to the radio series years after, and I enjoyed the radio series SO MUCH. One example, I didn't like the Marvin my mind made from the books. I never got what was so great about him. Then I hear the original Marvin on the radio, and I love him!

Yeah, I like the books, but I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the radio series.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

In the next week and a half, I should spend ~20 hours in a car traveling. I've got the radio episodes downloaded and ready.

Well. You heard him.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:02 am UTC

tinsin wrote:"Hold stick near centre of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion." - Toothpick packet
Has anyone actually seen this in the real world? I've looked since I heard it, but never found it.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

Now, I realise there will be two schools of thought on this, one group of people will want to burn me alive, and the other will think the idea is awesome. I imagine the second group will consist of me, and the former of everyone else. Well, here goes:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Opera.

Get the team from Jerry Springer: The Opera onto it, and I'm sure it could be truly awesome.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:35 am UTC

I don't know, a Hitchhikers Musical could be alright, in theory. Maybe.

I think there really should be a Space Opera Opera, comedic or not. If comedic (perhaps inspired by H2G2, rahter than based on, which I think would be a better idea. Unless you were planning to capatalise on the ridiculous number of adaptions) it could even have that as a title.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:I don't know, a Hitchhikers Musical could be alright, in theory. Maybe.

I think there really should be a Space Opera Opera, comedic or not. If comedic (perhaps inspired by H2G2, rather than based on, which I think would be a better idea. Unless you were planning to capitalise on the ridiculous number of adaptations) it could even have that as a title.

Agreed.
A Space Opera Opera is what we've all been waiting for, surely?

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Good news, I just bought the gilded series. I now have it behind bulletproof glass.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:04 am UTC

Oh how I wish I could post more!

I've only read the first book but I loved it. It's so funny and out there, and it had me laughing out loud several times. I've got all the books in pdf and word documents, but I refuse to read them because I finally found book number 2 and 3 and want to buy them. Just, you know, being a student really leaves you strapped for money. And I also want to get Slaughterhouse Five, not to mention the other books I have piled up that I haven't read. *sigh*

As for favorite quotes, there's one I read back when I wasn't familiar with the series but it struck me as funny nonetheless, I think it's from the opening of book 2 The Restaurant At The End of the Universe.

"In the Beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

Moo

Postby Moo » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

*giggles for the umpteenth time at funny universe quote*

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:Has anyone actually seen this in the real world? I've looked since I heard it, but never found it.

I've seen it. I think it was in a restaurant somewhere. The instructions were nearly identical to the ones in the book.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:55 am UTC

I'm almost done with the second one. They're absolutely awesome and hilarious. Although it makes me strangely incredibly homesick, and when I stop reading I'm so flipping glad the earth hasn't been destoryed.

I love Marvin. He's depressingly hiliarous. But my absolute favorite part (other than the Sperm Whale thing) was the bit with the Dish of the Day:

Spoiler:
"A large dairy animal approached Zaphod Beeblebrox's table, a large fat meaty quadruped of the bovine type with large watery eyes, small horns and what might almost have been an ingratiating smile on its lips.
'Good evening', it lowed and sat back heavily on its haunches, 'I am the main Dish of the Day. May I interest you in the parts of my body?' It harrumphed and gurgled a bit, wriggled its hind quarters in to a more comfortable position and gazed peacefully at them. Its gaze was met by looks of startled bewilderment from Arthur and Trillian, a resigned shrug from Ford Prefect and naked hunger from Zaphod Beeblebrox.
'Something off the shoulder perhaps?' suggested the animal, 'Braised in a white wine sauce?'
'Er, your shoulder?' said Arthur in a horrified whisper.
'But naturally my shoulder, sir,' mooed the animal contentedly, 'nobody else's is mine to offer.' Zaphod leapt to his feet and started prodding and feeling the animal's shoulder appreciatively.
'Or the rump is very good,' murmured the animal. 'I've been exercising it and eating plenty of grain, so there's a lot of good meat there.' It gave a mellow grunt, gurgled again and started to chew the cud. It swallowed the cud again.
'Or a casselore of me perhaps?' it added.
'You mean this animal actually wants us to eat it?' whispered Trillian to Ford.
'Me?' said Ford, with a glazed look in his eyes, 'I don't mean anything.'
'That's absolutely horrible,' exclaimed Arthur, 'the most revolting thing I've ever heard.'
'What's the problem Earthman?' said Zaphod, now transfering his attention to the animal's enormous rump.
'I just don't want to eat an animal that's standing there inviting me to,' said Arthur, 'It's heartless.'
'Better than eating an animal that doesn't want to be
eaten,' said Zaphod.
'That's not the point,' Arthur protested. Then he thought about it
for a moment.
'Alright,' he said, 'maybe it is the point. I don't care, I'm not going to think about it now. I'll just ... er ... I think I'll just have a green salad,' he muttered.
'May I urge you to consider my liver?' asked the animal, 'it must be very rich and tender by now, I've been force-feeding
myself for months.'
'A green salad,' said Arthur emphatically.
'A green salad?' said the animal, rolling his eyes disapprovingly
at Arthur.
'Are you going to tell me,' said Arthur, 'that I shouldn't have
green salad?'
'Well,' said the animal, 'I know many vegetables that are very clear on that point. Which is why it was eventually decided to cut through the whoile tangled problem and breed an animal that actually wanted to be eaten and was capable of saying so clearly and distinctly. And here I am.'
It managed a very slight bow.
'Glass of water please,' said Arthur.
'Look,' said Zaphod, 'we want to eat, we don't want to make a meal of the issues. Four rare stakes please, and hurry. We haven't eaten in five hundred and seventy-six thousand million years.' The animal staggered to its feet. It gave a mellow gurgle.
'A very wise coice, sir, if I may say so. Very good,' it said, 'I'll just nip off and shoot myself.' He turned and gave a friendly wink to Arthur. 'Don't worry, sir,' he said, 'I'll be very humane.' It waddled unhurriedly off to the kitchen.

Anyway, I think they're great, despite the fact that I am the opposite of Athiest.
Image Save the dragon! Clickie!

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:26 am UTC

Another cool thing to check out, The Salmon of DOubt. Probably mentioned before, but it's absolutely hilarious and filled with many smaller stories.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:13 am UTC

I borrowed the complete series at my library a few years back, but reading it every single second I got tired me greatly after the third book or so. Been meaning to buy my own copy and finish it.

A quote that's stuck to me for reasons I'm still fuzzy on is in either the third or forth book, where it starts with Arthur and Ford at the beginning of Earth, with Arthur coming out of his cave and proclaiming to the sky, "I WILL GO MAD!" The line has popped into my mind way more times then I can count, espicially on bad waking-up days.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:27 am UTC

DarkKnightJared wrote:Arthur coming out of his cave and proclaiming to the sky, "I WILL GO MAD!" The line has popped into my mind way more times then I can count, espicially on bad waking-up days.
Heh. I love that bit. Even better in the Radio version, I think. Listening to Arthur carry on conversations with the Sycamores and Elms.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:11 am UTC

"Islington has that effect on people, even two million years ago".
He he he.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
DarkKnightJared wrote:Arthur coming out of his cave and proclaiming to the sky, "I WILL GO MAD!" The line has popped into my mind way more times then I can count, espicially on bad waking-up days.
Heh. I love that bit. Even better in the Radio version, I think. Listening to Arthur carry on conversations with the Sycamores and Elms.

You unintentionally reminded me of the bit where Ford is humming the first note from "mad about the boy"..

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

DarkKnightJared wrote:I borrowed the complete series at my library a few years back, but reading it every single second I got tired me greatly after the third book or so. Been meaning to buy my own copy and finish it.

A quote that's stuck to me for reasons I'm still fuzzy on is in either the third or forth book, where it starts with Arthur and Ford at the beginning of Earth, with Arthur coming out of his cave and proclaiming to the sky, "I WILL GO MAD!" The line has popped into my mind way more times then I can count, espicially on bad waking-up days.

"I took up being cruel to animals." He said.
"Oh..."
"But only," he added warily, "as a hobby."

That conversation is really awesome.

Well. You heard him.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:33 am UTC

The entire plot tied to this qoute is beyond fantastic
"Oh not again"
-Pot of Petunias
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

>_<

I remember a funny bit that I _think_ was from one of the hitchhikers guide books, where someone's name is one thing, they're called something else, their name is called a third thing, and what they are called is named a fourth thing (or something like that), and I wanted to quote it in this thread, but I couldn't find it. Can anyone help me out?

Return to “Books”