42 [The Hitchhiker's Thread]

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sir_Elderberry

Re: 42 [The Hitchhiker's Thread]

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I think the bit that made me laugh most in the books was the final message God left to his creation
Spoiler:
"We apologise for the inconvenience."

Spoiler:
Just as priceless was Marvin's reaction to it.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

Back in undergrad, for my junior and senior year I lived in room 42 of my dorm. My answering machine message was something like the following:
Thank you for calling the life, the universe, and everything hotline, located in room 42 Simmons. We're out looking for the question at the moment, but if you leave a message we'll get back to you after we're done being blown up and insulted. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

I've not yet tried calling 01226770921, the phone number of that party and the probability of being picked up in deep space during the vital 30 seconds...

Spoiler:
(2267709 to 1, and if it's an Islington number, it needs area code 01...)

Anyone called it yet?
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:23 am UTC

No, I'm tempted to try the ones in his introduction to my omnibus, which are claimed to be numbers for NASA, the Pope, the White House, and the Kremlin.

Well. You heard him.

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:31 am UTC

I just finished re-reading all of the books a week ago. I have that huge all-in-one paperback. Also, if you liked it, I recommend reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

Favorite quote:"we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~Vroomfondel teh philosopher
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:28 am UTC

Didn't one of the books have a bit in the foreword to the effect that it would be nice if fans could please stop calling the Islington flat? Don't have a book handy or I'd check.

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

It both saddens me and gives me a reason to carry a towel around all day on my birthday that Towel Day is held on the same day as my birthday...

linx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day

and apparently nerd pride day too... hmmm

I've only read the books and seen the movies, but Douglas Adams is definitely a favorite...
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:15 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:Didn't one of the books have a bit in the foreword to the effect that it would be nice if fans could please stop calling the Islington flat? Don't have a book handy or I'd check.
Somewhere did. I remember reading somewhere a note that mentioned whose number it was, and how they were rather annoyed with it all. On that note, I highly recommend (if I haven't already) the script book for the primary and secondary phases. Heaps of little anecdotal footnotes about how Douglass Adams writes backwards in the bath, and why they kept the actors locked in cupboards. The second book (which would be the only one in print) is of the Dirk Maggs adaptions of the later books, and worth reading, but not quite as amusing.

Also, I just realized I have copies of the unabridged audio books read by the author, and I've only listen to one of them. I think I need to invest in a new (dedicated) mp3 player.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

About the telephone number: I think there's something in the production notes subtitle track from the tv series about that. :D
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

Hmm. I haven't listened to that yet. Something else for the list.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:20 am UTC

Whoever posted the links to the mp3's of the radio version: THANK YOU!

If anyone can find mp3's of the radio recordings of the Dirk Gently books that have been done already I will love them forever (or at least be very happy with them for about 5 minutes).

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:01 am UTC

Well, they've only done the first one so far. It'll probably get repeated soon enough (or on BBC7)

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:13 pm UTC

I have the radio series (well up to the Tertiary phase) on CD, and have listened to the rest when they first went out. Honest, paid for, BBC CDs. With a cover and everything. Some things are too sacred to rip off somewhere. I don't download Christian music and I don't download Douglas Adams, for almost similar reasons :) I really must buy the other ones, come to think of it.

I loved the books, but that was before I knew about the radio series. It's like this: books = one of my favourite books but radio series = most favouritest incarnation of H2G2 ever ever ever. I can quote entire tracks. I am also very sad, it should be mentioned.

I really wanted to like the movie but I literally switched off the TV after about 30 minutes. I appreciate what has been suggested about thinking of it not as a H2G2 incarnation but just a film; only I can't. It just entirely failed to engage me in any way.

And this is for the film as much as the TV series: what the hell is up with Trillian being American? And ditsy?!?!?! She has a friggin degree in maths and one in astrophysics! And used to go round Hyde Park Corner on a Moped. No. No no no no no no.

Some fav quotes:
- all previously mentioned
- on the radio series, when Marvin falls from the ship parked several thousand feet above the surface in the cup part of a statue and crashes through several layers of rock on Brontitall, he says (paraphrased): "I appear to be in a deep dark hole. The concept is a familiar one; what does it remind me of? Oh yes: life. Maybe if I wait it will go away. Then again, if it didn't go away as a result of falling 30 feet through solid rock it is probably here to stay. Does it matter? And if it matters, does it matter that it matters? Perhaps I'll just sit here and go zurdle wurdle, zurdle wurdle.". It's just so very Marvin! Incidentally I never liked (or rather "got") Marvin in the books; since listening to him though I love him.
- I remember one. Zem, the mattress on Squornshellous Zeta. I love him. "I sense a deep dejection in your diodes robot, and I globber for you."
- lots more I can't think of now (annoyed growl).
Last edited by Moo on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

Teh Russians wrote:I just finished re-reading all of the books a week ago. I have that huge all-in-one paperback. Also, if you liked it, I recommend reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

I read The Colour of Magic for this very reason and was...underwhelmed. I think it may largely stem from the fact that I'm not a huge fantasy fan at all.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

If you're not a fantasy fan you just may not like them anyway but the Colour of Magic is a very modest start to a great series. I started in the middle (Guards! Guards!) and was instantly hooked. I didn't enjoy the Colour of Magic that much but I was forgiving since I was already a fan :)

When I went to uni my first year Comp Sci lecturer said something like "what, you've never heard of the Babelfish?! Hitchhiker's Guide and the Discworld series are required reading for this course!". It was then that I knew I was officially one of them - A Geek.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

"Don't you think it's rude enough, being alive when nobody wants you?!"
- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:56 am UTC

Does anyone else just love the theme music?

duh DEEH duh duh dunnnnnn
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

thalia

Postby thalia » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:23 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:The problem with the HHGTTG movie wasn't the plot, since as has been noted, that kept changing in the radio series/books/telly show anyway. The problem was that, in paraphrasing the original sources, the movie script removed all the funny bits.

They replaced "This is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of" with "I want to go home". They replaced "It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'" with "It was in the cellar." They totally missed the point.

I think I love you. I hate that film! Way to butcher the style of humour. In addition to ruining every good joke (beer trolley? ha), they added inane, stupid things like "Freeze! ... I'm a robot, not a refrigerator". Cue sitcom laugh.

Favourite quote? Too many. But I like these ones:

"PANIC" - words written on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Mrk II in small alarming letters

"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now."

- Zaphod
One of these days.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:30 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
Teh Russians wrote:I just finished re-reading all of the books a week ago. I have that huge all-in-one paperback. Also, if you liked it, I recommend reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

I read The Colour of Magic for this very reason and was...underwhelmed. I think it may largely stem from the fact that I'm not a huge fantasy fan at all.

Color of Magic isn't one of the better ones; my favorites are 'Thud' and 'Going Postal'. I don't like his early books as much as his later ones generally.

Does anyone else just love the theme music?

duh DEEH duh duh dunnnnnn

YES!

I get that stuck in my head for days every time I listen to the radio show.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:10 am UTC

Pathway wrote:Does anyone else just love the theme music?
From the original? Hells yes."Journey of the Sorcerer", by The Eagles apparently:
wikipedia wrote:For the CD and cassette releases of the Tertiary Phase in the United States, and all CD and cassette releases of the Quandary and Quintessential Phases, the instrumental title theme, Journey of the Sorcerer, composed by Bernie Leadon and originally recorded by US rock band The Eagles, was re-interpreted by The Illegal Eagles, a tribute band, using an arrangement by Philip Pope. This was done due to licensing reasons (though the original track was used for the original radio transmissions and the on-demand downloads).
Last edited by JayDee on Sun May 25, 2008 12:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

Moo wrote:I loved the books, but that was before I knew about the radio series. It's like this: books = one of my favourite books but radio series = most favouritest incarnation of H2G2 ever ever ever. I can quote entire tracks. I am also very sad, it should be mentioned.

And this is for the film as much as the TV series: what the hell is up with Trillian being American? And ditsy?!?!?! She has a friggin degree in maths and one in astrophysics! And used to go round Hyde Park Corner on a Moped. No. No no no no no no.

Some fav quotes:
- all previously mentioned
- on the radio series, when Marvin falls from the ship parked several thousand feet above the surface in the cup part of a statue and crashes through several layers of rock on Brontitall, he says (paraphrased): "I appear to be in a deep dark hole. The concept is a familiar one; what does it remind me of? Oh yes: life. Maybe if I wait it will go away. Then again, if it didn't go away as a result of falling 30 feet through solid rock it is probably here to stay. Does it matter? And if it matters, does it matter that it matters? Perhaps I'll just sit here and go zurdle wurdle, zurdle wurdle.". It's just so very Marvin! Incidentally I never liked (or rather "got") Marvin in the books; since listening to him though I love him.
- I remember one. Zem, the mattress on Squornshellous Zeta. I love him. "I sense a deep dejection in your diodes robot, and I globber for you."

could you please get out of my head?

Zem is one of my favorites (and Marvin my favorite, but you could guessed that, now couldn't you), and the:
Marvin: My capacity for thinking is as big as the universe itself, while my capacity for happiness you could put in a matchbox, without taking the matches out first
Zem: What's a matchbox?

Ford, when asked what is life like:
"Life is... like a grapefruit. It's sort of orangy-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squishy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have a half a one for breakfast."

More?
The King thing, arthur and ford talking i think... i don't remember the quote but it goes something along the:
Where are they going (the perfectly normal beasts)?
To the domain of the King?
What king?
The King!
I don't remember i ever heard of a king.
Because it's not a king, its The King!

well... there are countless more... and no doubt i'd end up with retyping the whole book into forum eventually...
--
If God intended us to program we would be born with serial I/O ports.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

Also, the conversation Ford has with Arthur when he firsts meets him again in the third book is amazing. "I took up being cruel to animals. But only as a hobby."

Well. You heard him.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:42 am UTC

Ford was awesome. I'm not going to list quotes, because, well, there's to many. But I will say I have often described myself as a lemon looking for a gin and tonic.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:14 am UTC

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:42 am UTC

Moo wrote:- on the radio series, when Marvin falls from the ship parked several thousand feet above the surface in the cup part of a statue and crashes through several layers of rock on Brontitall, he says (paraphrased): "I appear to be in a deep dark hole. The concept is a familiar one; what does it remind me of? Oh yes: life. Maybe if I wait it will go away. Then again, if it didn't go away as a result of falling 30 feet through solid rock it is probably here to stay. Does it matter? And if it matters, does it matter that it matters? Perhaps I'll just sit here and go zurdle wurdle, zurdle wurdle.". It's just so very Marvin! Incidentally I never liked (or rather "got") Marvin in the books; since listening to him though I love him.

I love that part. I didn't remember it being in the books, so when I heard it in the radio series, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Antimatter Spork wrote:I love that part. I didn't remember it being in the books, so when I heard it in the radio series, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Don't think it's in the books - the whole thing with the giant statue and the clones isn't, but I guess that line might be.

MontyRamone

Postby MontyRamone » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:49 am UTC

Goodness, Douglas Adams was amazing. I love how the book, the movie, and the radio series (what little I've heard of the multiple series) are all a little different depending on the medium - how they all somehow make jokes and use pieces that just wouldn't work as well in the other two forms.

Incidentally, has anyone ever read the Dirk Gently books? I've read the first, which was good, but definitely not quite Hitchhiker quality. The description of Bach's music made it all worth it, though. :D
Music: http://do.k.music.googlepages.com (Electronica along the lines of The Postal Service, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, and so on.)

Click-to-Donate Sites (these rock.): http://do.k.music.googlepages.com/siteslist

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency was great (and I'd love to one day include 'pondering the fundamental interconnectedness of all things' on an invoice,) I didn't like the second as much. It was about the first book that I didn't get without someone explaining it to me.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:28 pm UTC

"If there's anything more important than my ego around here I want it caught and shot now"

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

Bump. It is now the 30th anniversary of the first HHGTTG broadcast. I'm listening to my mp3 of it in honor.

Well. You heard him.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:I've not yet tried calling 01226770921, the phone number of that party and the probability of being picked up in deep space during the vital 30 seconds...

Spoiler:
(2267709 to 1, and if it's an Islington number, it needs area code 01...)

Anyone called it yet?

It's a Barnsley code.. not Islington. But it'd be very funny to call it and find out if they know exactly what number they've got.

I think my favourite quote from the book is again the mattress and Marvin:

"You may not instantly see why I bring this subject up, but that is because my mind works so phenomenally fast, and I am at a rough estimate thirty billion times more intelligent than you. Let me give you an example. Think of a number, any number."
"Er, five," said the mattress.
"Wrong," said Marvin. "You see?"
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Migratory

Postby Migratory » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

Did anyone play the infocom game? I always got majorly stuck even with clues, but every now and again I'm tempted to have another go. You can play online here (complete with added graphics!), although it's also downloadable from various places.

I think I love Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency best. I need to reread it now I know more about Coleridge though, because I know I'd appreciate the in-jokes more.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:06 am UTC

The game is awesome (which I thought I'd said here, but it must've been another thread.) The babelfish puzzle is still my favourite puzzle in an adventure game. I keep meaning to check out the new graphics they came up with (by competition, iirc) but haven't yet.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is the only book I read that I needed an FAQ to understand.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

thalia wrote:I think I love you. I hate that film! Way to butcher the style of humour. In addition to ruining every good joke (beer trolley? ha), they added inane, stupid things like "Freeze! ... I'm a robot, not a refrigerator". Cue sitcom laugh.

Yeah, that annoyed me because it doesn't work - refrigerators don't freeze things, they just keep them at a lower temperature than outside. ARGGHHHHH!!!!

I'm revising my opinion on the film: it is teh suck. I still like the TV series, though.

Edit: about the telephone number - the production notes in the TV series says to avoid calling it because it 'disturbs the time continuum', or something like that. I'm fairly sure they changed the number for the film - GRRRRRR!!!

Migratory

Postby Migratory » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:37 am UTC

JayDee wrote:I keep meaning to check out the new graphics they came up with (by competition, iirc) but haven't yet.

They're great, or at least Version One is (that's all I've looked at properly). They use a coloured line style that's similar to the graphics of the tv show. I have to say, though, I love the film graphics too. I always liked vector (or vector style) illustrations with their blocks of colour, and I though it worked really well with The Guide. Though I'm pretty fond of the film in general. Mos Def made an excellent Ford, and I also love Bill Nighy's Slartibartfast.

But to be geeky and bemoan a specific quote...

I majorly missed Eddie setting the alarms off when the Magratheans fire at them, and then saying "sorry, I didn't mean to do that." That always struck me as particularly funny. And his rendition of "you'll never walk alone" was awesome.
Eddie rocked on the radio series.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

On the actual Infocom game I only got as far as getting the Artificial Tea Substitute (my first time getting to that point I instinctively threw the ATS at the nutrimat). I played the flash version a couple days ago and (after several hours and liberal doses of the help file) finally got 400/400.
LOWA

Torlek42

Postby Torlek42 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

one of my favorites...

quinine piercingly

Postby quinine piercingly » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the part in the books that discusses how new tenses have to be created to account for things that you are going to do in the past, have done in the future, et cetera and increasingly ridiculous examples. That was probably the one part where I really had to put the book down because I was laughing so hard.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

I give an automatic 100 point bonus to anyone who gets the Hitchhiker's reference in my display name.

Which were peoples favourite incarnations of the Guide? I need to go back and re-listen, but I always preferred the radio series. The very last episode made me cry... Largely because I think it's the only legitimate ending that's been given to any of the other incarnations. The ending of the books was so disappointing.
I would rate it Radio > Book > TV. The film version shouldn't even go on that scale. I will put one of my largest issues in a spoiler, not to give away other cannon plot:
Spoiler:
Arthur and Trillian can't get together! They have a baby!! How the hell is Random ever supposed to happen?

Incidentally, is / was anyone here ever a Hootooite? [www.h2g2.com]

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

Torlek42 wrote:"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

one of my favorites...

Yeah, thats mine too. The Movie kindof ignored that bit :twisted:

E_E: the elevators in the Hitchhikers Guide Building that want to move sideways. *claims 100 points*

Edit (spoiler'd for length):
Spoiler:
I was a hootoo-ite twice! The first time didn't really take. I would join a third time, but I don't really want another welcome, that is just so condescending. Like when the person who welcomed me posted after me in the 'last one to post here wins' thread with "kicks her newbie into touch". I wanted to scream "I'm not a newbie, I probably joined before you did, its just that researcher #A~~~whatever isn't that memorable". Also, my first hotmail account was a variant of 'the sandwich maker'. (I only got one to get into the Sims chatroom to ask for help 'cause my Sims were sick from the friggen dead hamster). I got bored of the Sims when I couldn't get rid of the flies that kept coming in - other than cheating and deleting them.

Return to “Books”