Need another epic fantasy....

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Re: Need another epic fantasy....

Postby Narsil » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:05 am UTC

I'm not huge on the swords and sorcery fantasy trilogies that everyone is cranking out, so these are going to be from the outskirts of the fantasy genre.

Weveworld- Clive Barker, An all around excellent book, not terribly challenging but not fluff either. Barker has a really excellent command of language and the ideas in the book are wonderful. Constantly shifting between the dark and horrific and the dreamlike and fantastic. When he gets dark, it's truly dark and haunting.

Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Susanna Clarke, My favorite fantasy book I've ever read. It's historical fiction with a definite Gaiman flavor, but this is hardly a bad thing. I really can't recommend this hard enough. It's a hefty commitment at 1,000 pages, but after page 50 you'll wish for 1,000 more. The only flaw in this book is that it's too short.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:08 am UTC

I lost an entire week of college to The Deathgate Cycle by Weis and Hickman. 7 books in a complete series, with a lighter tone than the title suggests. (love the old wizard guy)... now that I think about it, maybe that was just appropriate comic relief, it's been 8 years or more, gotta reread it.

I'll second Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy and the following books set in the same universe/storyline.

Question, I've read Tad William's Otherland quadrilogy, but from the quick glimpse at a few pages of To Green Angel Tower that I had, it looked kind of dry/boring; Is it on the same level as Otherland?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:28 am UTC

I was wondering if someone was going to mention Death Gate. Actually, I would have never heard of it at all were it not for the old adventure game from Legend (which also made games based on Xanth and Shannara).

ironypoisoning

Postby ironypoisoning » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:07 am UTC

If you haven't read it yet, I would highly recommend Kushiel's Legacy by Jacqueline Carey.

She has two trilogies out in that series, six books in total, the last of which was just released this summer. The first trilogy is written from the point of view of a high-level courtesan who is trained to spy, and involves a great deal of political intrigue set in a lavish medieval Europe-like universe. I'd actually say it's very similar to A Song of Ice and Fire, because it's more about politics and murder and royal successions rather than magic, but there's a good deal of that too. Being set from the point of a courtesan, there's plenty of kinky sex if you want to linger on it!

I really enjoyed reading all of them, because I love reading about kinky sex scenes, and her descriptions and her language is very elaborate and fun to read. She hasn't gone as far as JRRT in constructing a universe and languages but she portrays many cultures with distinct languages and habits and customs that are quite fascinating. If you want to lose yourself in a well-built, mesmerizing and fascinating universe, Jacqueline Carey could be the author for you.
"Gerry, I'm a woman! We don't say what we WANT! But we reserve the right to get pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating! And not a little bit scary." - Lydia, Sliding Doors (1998)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

I second Pullman and Garth Nix. Also, I would recommend the Runelords series by David Farland, who is now on his second quartet in the same world, and are very good. If you want scifi, then I would recommend Alastair Reynolds, the Revelation Space series I would definitely count as epic, and his other novels (eg Century Rain) are also written in the same sort of manner.

Also, read the first three Dresden files and also the Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher, they were very good IMO, and I can't wait until I get a chance to go out and buy some more :)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “Books”