Who wrote "Ralph Waldo Emerson deserved to be shot?"

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

quantropy

Who wrote "Ralph Waldo Emerson deserved to be shot?"

Postby quantropy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:52 am UTC

I wondered if anyone could help me remember a book I once read. It was about marketing, and noted that Ralph Waldo Emerson said something along the lines of
Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door, but that this was really terrible advice - products don't just sell themselves - and so Emerson deserved to be shot.

The trouble is I haven't been able to find this book again, and I feel it would be really useful to be able to quote this. Can anyone help me find it?

Note: Going to google books and entering "ralph waldo emerson" "deserved to be shot", brings up Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist as the first result. This is due a reviewer of The Alchemist who said that he "read somewhere that Emerson deserved to be shot for his quote about mousetraps", but doesn't say where. Of course not: I wrote the review.

Of course maybe I just hallucinated the whole thing.

quantropy

Re: Who wrote "Ralph Waldo Emerson deserved to be shot"?

Postby quantropy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 am UTC

No responses? Well here's a couple more quotes that I hope someone can help me with.

Firstly, I had the impression that, in one of his works, Lewis Carroll (or maybe Arthur in Sylvie and Bruno, whose views don't necessarily match those of the author, as Carroll is careful to point out), says that schoolboys would be happy to learn Latin verbs if they could do it while standing on their head. But I can't find it in Carroll's works or letters. Maybe it was someone else. Can anyone help?

Secondly I remember looking in a book which went into the details of the science behind global warming. When I looked for what it had to say about the work of Bjorn Lomborg it was only a short paragraph, something along the lines of "You should put more credence in what Nicholas Stern says because his credentials are better than those of Lomborg". Clearly argument from authority rather than going into details (although I have to say Lord Stern is a wonderfully authoritarian name). But I haven't been able to find the book again. Any ideas of what it was?

Return to “Books”