Awesome bands that nobody's heard of

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ghandi 2

Re: Awesome bands that nobody's heard of

Postby Ghandi 2 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:38 am UTC

Mr. Galt wrote:But maybe I'm just a poser.

A little bit. :P They're probably the absolute most famous "indie" band ever. Aeroplane... practically defined the indie sound.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:45 am UTC

Well, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea got a 10 on Pitchfork, which means liking them instantly gives you indie cred. I think they're probably one of the more widely known bands of their type (meaning, quirky lyrics with an instantly recognizable and easily dislikable lead singer).

Ghandi 2

Postby Ghandi 2 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:04 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Well, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea got a 10 on Pitchfork, which means liking them instantly gives you indie cred. I think they're probably one of the more widely known bands of their type (meaning, quirky lyrics with an instantly recognizable and easily dislikable lead singer).

Ok, I guess they're not the most widely known indie band, but everyone who knows anything about indie has heard of them. Other indie groups like Franz Ferdinand are more popular, but that's because a lot of people who aren't "indie" like them.

By the way, I listened to Aeroplane and found it incredibly boring. I don't get the hype around them at all. The same went for Source Tags and Codes by ...And You Will Know Us By Our Unbelievably Pretentious Name, another Pitchfork 10.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Pitchfork sucks.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:49 am UTC

In my case, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea grew on me tremendously. I went from being initially indifferent to having the entire thing stuck in my head (though not all at once, but I'm sure every little bit of it has been at one point).

Source Tags And Codes, I think the 10 rating was definitely a mistake, but it also doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same sort of respect as NMH get. I don't think it's so much that pitchfork rated it a 10 and so everyone has to love it, because the certainly isn't the same with Trail of Dead (in fact, their albums since have been pretty poorly received, even by pitchfork). I think a lot of people discover NMH because of pitchfork, and I think the fact that they gave it a 10 means that you can't really claim to know a lot about indie music and not know about it.

TallMax

Postby TallMax » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

I don't think anyone with a lick of sense has taken Pitchfork seriously for awhile
"the time will come when men such as i look upon the murder
of animals as they now look upon the murder of men"

---
leonardo da vinci

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:17 am UTC

Meowgan wrote:Dallas Crane. I doubt anyone out of Aus has heard of them. Although if they have that's freaking sweet.

Not sure about overseas, but I don't think they are too obscure over here (I've heard of them enough times).

I would like to mention Cave In.

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:40 am UTC

Well its nice to know other people enjoy Neutral milk, even if I do feel a bit sheepish.

Anyway, I'm going to cheat and mention a local band here in Utah called Coup De Grace.

They are not on Last.fm, but heres their Myspace which has a sampling. I can only describe it as instrumental, or "post-rock" is what its called I guess. Before you ask, I'm not affiliated with this band at all other than being a fan.

Bisyss

Postby Bisyss » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

I think I may have found the best band name ever. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you: Robot Ninja Dinosaur Bastards
If the idea of The Locust swapping the keyboard for a Game Boy appeals to you, then it's worth checking them out.
william wrote:Hamlet's problem is that Scar caused the stampede that killed his father.

Shika7

Postby Shika7 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

I don't know if they're more popular in the US but I love the Dillinger Escape Plan. No one over here has even heard of them but I think they're awesome. The Ire Works Album is one of my current favorites.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:35 am UTC

Shika7 wrote:I don't know if they're more popular in the US but I love the Dillinger Escape Plan. No one over here has even heard of them but I think they're awesome. The Ire Works Album is one of my current favorites.

They're obviously very technically good, but I don't like them at all. I had to sit through them live once (I was there for The Locust, who opened) and hated every minute of their set.

Shika7

Postby Shika7 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:08 am UTC

I can see why people wouldn't like them, they are a bit loud. :D

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

Neutral Milk Hotel are one of my all-time favourite bands. There are very few songwriters who manage to put as much of themselves into their songs as Jeff Mangum did. In The Aeroplane and On Avery Island are both, in my view, stunningly beautiful records. (And - scout's honour - I promise I didn't hear about them from Pitchfork. ^_^)

In the spirit of this thread, here are 4 really good local bands/musickers from Melbourne, Australia:

Alex and the Ramps
(--a very cool, kinda schizophrenic explosion of various incongruous facets of indie, with a lot of dancing, and a fair portion of strangeness. Currently touring Canada, and threatening to get bigger very soon.)
http://www.myspace.com/aleksandtheramps

Wil Wagner
(--Will is a good friend of mine, but that's not why I recommend him. I recommend him because he's awesome. He writes furious acoustic folk-punk with such an unerring sense of melody and poetic honesty that it's goddamn impossible to resist him - at least when in the same room as him, with his larger-than-life personage shaking and bellowing at you. Listen to the live versions of "I Envy Birds" and "About Bombs" first - he's like a benevolent tornado live. I saw him for the first time with a full rock band just last night, and it was stupidly awesome. Retardedly excellent. If the shining eyes and awe-struck expressions of everyone in the crowds he's just played to are any indication, he's only on his way up.)
http://www.myspace.com/wilwagner

Hilda In The Woods
(--another band of friends. Whenever they play live, they're tentative, their guitars are out of tune, their songs are unfinished, and they're great. Don't ask me how - they just are.)
http://www.myspace.com/hildainthewoods

A. Wallace
(--this guy is actually amazing. When I saw him play live at a house party for the first time - a enormous, shy-looking guy with this stunning faqlsetto that came out of nowhere, I found myself more moved than I had been in years - by music, or by anything else. He gave me his album tucked into the back sleeve of a children's book, and it's become one of my most-listened-to albums since then. The songs on the myspace don't remotely do justice to the experience of listening to his album in the dark - he really is not a myspace kind of artist - but you can download it from his blog there, and I sincerely hope you do. There are certain people who are destined never to become famous, but just to refine and perfect one specific artistic thing, and change the lives of the few people who do hear him.)
http://www.myspace.com/aaronjohnwallace
Last edited by The Rumpled Academic on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

As far as I know, few people out of Ontario/Canada have heard of Hawksley Workman, but he's my favourite hometown export. Alternative pop with more than a few slow, ballad-y songs.

You can listen to an entire album, legally and for free, at http://radio3.cbc.ca/bands/Hawksley-Workman. "You and the Candles" is my own recommendation. The end of the world can be surprisingly romantic.
I compulsively edit posts.

Maskirovka

Postby Maskirovka » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

Domestic Problems

From Grand Rapids, MI

http://www.myspace.com/officialdomesticproblems

used to see these guys in tiny clubs in central/west Michigan. You might've seen them since they've toured with Rusted Root, Ben Folds Five, Soul Coughing, They Might Be Giants, Blues Traveler, and a few more, but they've never had their own nationwide tour AFAIK, nor have they ever had a music video or been played on anything but local radio.

Check out "Untitled" and "Ernie's Tragic Love Triangle"

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:37 am UTC

Lykke Li. She is from Sweden, and her music is chill and also excellent. Examples:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=modXbqbsAvs
(not an official video but still great song)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mUC0ezAlHwE&feature=related
(official, and pretty cool, video)
I sing anyway.

Insanity's Partner

Postby Insanity's Partner » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:59 am UTC

Dish. They're a local unsigned indie band in DeLand, Florida (Smack dab between Daytona and Orlando.) and are really, very good. Two brothers. One plays guitar, and the other bangs against random items, while still managing to make it sound organized and rhythmic. If you want to hear them, I suggest searching for them. I believe they have a MySpace page. Best song (I think) is Pictora. They're good returning-from-ze-beach music.

Silversun Pickups. Indie. Not very famous. You may have heard Lazy Eye on the radio. Also pretty good returning-from-ze-beach music.

Regina Spektor. So indie, she's practically anti-indie. More accurately described as Anti-folk, with some hints of Jazz in a lot of her songs. She's not a band, and I believe she's been mentioned two or three times in various comics/webstore. Actually, she's everywhere, now. I think she has a song in the latest Narnia movie. xP

You've probably heard Fidelity, On The Radio, Samson, or some other songs. I would say her best songs are in her first three albums, although, now that I think about it, she keeps her general flavor throughout all albums, with some slight evolving over the years. Her latest album has a lot of new flavor, though.
Dead Like Me: (n.) [ded lajk mi:] Firefly for people who excel at not giving a shit.

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:41 am UTC

The Dissipated 8 - An A Capella choir from a college. They're pretty cool, they've covered songs from a pretty big range. Phish, Jimi Hendrix, Paul Simon.
Streetlight Manifesto - Cool Third Wave Ska band (I think. Maybe I just have no idea what I'm talking about.) I dunno what the music demographic is here.
Pulp (maybe). - I dunno what you crazy folks in Europe listen to, but I don't think they're popular in the States. A britpop band that's done a fair bit of albums.

I'm sure you guys have pointed out Mute Math. They're well known for their video of Video, which is played backwards.
Handy Dandy Mute Math Link!

fusillade2

Postby fusillade2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:47 am UTC

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Band - I AM

One album, self titled I believe. They were from Las Vegas and I believe went on tour in '95. http://www.frankklepacki.com/ has their music, plus all C&C music for anybody that plays it besides me!
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

The Dillinger Escape Plan is great, but I've only really listened to Calculating Infinity and the cover of Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy (Pappy Mix), with Mike Patton. I'm still yet to check out Miss Machine.

What about The Residents? They're not really as "underground" as it seems, I guess, but they're reasonably obscure. I'm a big fan of Meet the Residents, and they have a load of other great stuff as well.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:24 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:The Dillinger Escape Plan is great, but I've only really listened to Calculating Infinity and the cover of Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy (Pappy Mix), with Mike Patton. I'm still yet to check out Miss Machine.

What about The Residents? They're not really as "underground" as it seems, I guess, but they're reasonably obscure. I'm a big fan of Meet the Residents, and they have a load of other great stuff as well.

My favorite Residents album is "Not Available", followed by "Mark of the Mole", and "Eskimo".

A late 90s band that had a similar mindset to The Residents, but with a hardcore background, was "Men's Recovery Project".

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:43 am UTC

Voltaire
Alamaailman Vasarat
Wicked Tinkers
Adam and the Ants
Siouxie and the Banshees
Bauhaus
Shitdisco
Local bands:
Draft - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=161684366
the F-Holes - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=76762430

Bout all I can think of.
Last edited by Sasha on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

smartalco

Postby smartalco » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:56 am UTC

you might have heard of them, but I have really been into Bang Camaro recently (the need more songs out!)

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

Hello Beautiful - A local band that has semi-"made it". I've had Virginia Symphony on pretty high iPod rotation recently. Warning: Combines pop-rock with hip hop. Shield ears if that's not your thing. :wink:
I compulsively edit posts.

MysticalChicken

Postby MysticalChicken » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Dunno if anyone here has heard of them (I did a search and got no results) but I just got into the band Sukilove the other day. (Actually, Carol van Dyk from Bettie Serveert/Chitlin' Fooks suggested them to me via MySpace email--Pascal Deweze sings in both Sukilove and Chitlin' Fooks) To me, they sound like Sonic Youth, sprinkled liberally with Spoon, and a dash of The Shins, at least in the mp3s I've found online. (The last one especially in their song "Sun Sun Sun," which reminds me somewhat of The Shins' "Sleeping Lessons.") I loved them from note one. "You Kill Me" is my favorite track on their MySpace player. I need to see if I can find any of their CDs.

I would also like to take this opportunity to recommend Chitlin' Fooks (yeah, you knew that was coming, didn't you) for the alternative-country lovers. I found their debut CD at my favorite record store and I love it more and more with every listen. I'm going to buy the second one when I go back to that store. (Carol said she was surprised I found them, as "they were only a small release!")

rutebega

Postby rutebega » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Invertebrate

Postby Invertebrate » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

I've never met anyone else who listened to Annie Haslam's Renaissance, but apparently they used to be huge! If I were to try and pin down what they are (I have no idea how to apply genres to music; I know that Oasis and Pulp are Britpop but that's about it) I would say that they are a mixture of folk and classical. Oh, and they tend to tell stories through their music. Their most famous piece is called Song of Scheherazade. So there we go. Has anyone heard of them?

If not, I have everything they ever recorded and am very happy to distribute songs to people who express an interest.
'Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens.'
~ Gimli.

el_grimley

Postby el_grimley » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Wir Sind Helden - The most bestest German band ever, even beterer than kraftwerk. I don't speak a work of German, but they are so good I went all the way to see them live and they where brilliant live! http://www.last.fm/music/Wir+sind+Helden

Sargasso Trio - A couple of boppy little tunes http://www.myspace.com/sargassotrio

Nizlopi - Rather famous for the JCB song, but I assure you they did some good ones too http://www.last.fm/music/Nizlopi

Ta

G

MysticalChicken

Postby MysticalChicken » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Wir Sind Helden - The most bestest German band ever, even beterer than kraftwerk. I don't speak a work of German, but they are so good I went all the way to see them live and they where brilliant live! http://www.last.fm/music/Wir+sind+Helden

EEEE I love the Helden!!! I have Die Reklamation (found it at my favorite record store) and I'm searching for Von Hier an Blind. I like Judith Holofernes' voice a lot. (I can even sing along with "Du erkennst mich nicht wieder" even though I only know what about half a dozen of the words mean)

I need to learn German now.

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Ooh Ooh! New one!

Dan Friel

The most amazing noise ever pumped out of a keyboard, it makes me happy and my neighbors angry!
To exist is to resist.

Seremite

Postby Seremite » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:50 am UTC

Velociraptor.
No one's heard it. Mostly because I've yet to create it.

It's (going to be) a ska band.
It's (going to be) rad.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

Hello Saferide. Shiny shiny Swedish pop. And Bunnygrunt.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

Tropylium

Postby Tropylium » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

Why do I get the impression that in forums with this kind of an age distribution, just about any band from the 80s or before will be effectivly more obscure than whatever indie band from the 90s / 00s?

A few test artists to proov me wrong on: Klaus Schulze, Passport, Steve Hackett

thepope

Postby thepope » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:38 am UTC

I know Steve Hackett, passport sounds like it may be familiar but I'm not sure of the other one.
Ezekiel 25:17. "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

tday93
Location: Surf City, CA no, seriously, we own the trademark (suck it Santa Cruz)

Postby tday93 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:01 am UTC

Freebleeder...

friends uncle's band, actually very, very good....
"Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest." -Eric Clapton

Hybrid Soldier

Postby Hybrid Soldier » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

Dead by Sunrise, they are fairly new, it is Chester Benningtons side project (the lead singer from Linkin Park) and they are amazing I recommend that you guys listen to them
Wade Wilson: It's memorable. Sure it's a little bulky, tough to get on a plane. You whip out a couple of swords at your ex-girlfriends wedding. They will never, ever forget it.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

Since this thread's come back, I may as well mention my favourite unsigned indie band from Fresno, Rachemacher. They just released a CD that's got their first four EPs all on one disc, and their debut full-length Stunts is amazing.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:14 am UTC

Acid Bath: A sludge/doom metal band from the mid 90s.
Ketha: A Polish death metal band who came around in the past few years. Released an album recently, interesting take on death metal.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Tropylium wrote:Why do I get the impression that in forums with this kind of an age distribution, just about any band from the 80s or before will be effectivly more obscure than whatever indie band from the 90s / 00s?

A few test artists to proov me wrong on: Klaus Schulze, Passport, Steve Hackett
I've heard of Schulze, none of the others.

EDIT: Apparently Steve Hackett was in Genesis, should've known that.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

I'd like to suggest Tigers Jaw to anyone that likes bands like the Get Up Kids or really any such '90s "emo" band. They released their self-titled debut last year.
Here's a link to the stream of the whole album:
http://www.punknews.org/bands/tigersjaw
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

Return to “Music”