What do I call this and how do I get more?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

KrazyerKate

What do I call this and how do I get more?

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:04 am UTC

I really don't know how to describe what I'm looking for. 'dirty noise' is the best way I can put it into words. It's dissonant, tons of distortion, no clear melody or direction, but still has a semblance of order and rhythm to it.

Here are some examples:

Britney Spears--Hold It Against Me (bridge): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Edv8Onsrgg&t=2m42s
Prodigy--Invaders Must Die (the whole song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTw2YvutJRA
Nicki Minaj--Starship (the 'higher than a motherfucker' part): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-8MagxjOrE&t=2m23s
The fun part of any skrillex song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw&t=0m40s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDgFwE13g&t=1m25s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvv92BVZB1w&t=1m5s

It's annoying that I have to cherrypick parts of songs to enjoy it instead of just listening to the stuff in some condensed form. Looking for just 'dubstep' doesn't seem to work as there's all sorts of more melodic, structured, 'friendly' sounds that are considered part of the genre that I have to sift through, and Skrillex only seems to use the noise in short bursts instead of making entire songs out of it.

Dream
WINNING

Re: What do I call this and how do I get more?

Postby Dream » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:12 pm UTC

I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

The drop at 2:03 is pretty epic.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

The Glitch Mob has some great electronic music, similar to this.

I'm just gonna rec gnarly electronic music.

Noisia (ft Amon Tobin) Dutch DNB/glitchy (If you like Glitch, check out more of Amon Tobin, if you dig DNB check out more of Noisia)
Celldweller Bit more atmospheric
PrototypeRaptor Makes great stuff, there's even some stuff free available on his bandcamp!
Ott Not really gnarly/gritty/dark but sooo good. Trance/dubstep/acid trance/whatever
url=
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:55 am UTC

Роберт wrote:The drop at 2:03 is pretty epic.

Good god, that was glorious. Please more of that. Doing a quick google on Jon Hopkins only gives me "pretty" music.

Microscopic cog wrote:The Glitch Mob has some great electronic music, similar to this.

I'm just gonna rec gnarly electronic music.

Noisia (ft Amon Tobin) Dutch DNB/glitchy (If you like Glitch, check out more of Amon Tobin, if you dig DNB check out more of Noisia)
Celldweller Bit more atmospheric
PrototypeRaptor Makes great stuff, there's even some stuff free available on his bandcamp!
Ott Not really gnarly/gritty/dark but sooo good. Trance/dubstep/acid trance/whatever
url=

I dont have time at the moment to look too deeply into the artists, but I think Noisia is the closest to what I'm looking for. Ott had some of the randomness I was looking for too. PrototypeRaptor and Celldweller were just fun, and I wouldn't mind this thread just turning into an electronica thread if it's going to yield fun stuff like that.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:29 pm UTC

If you are not bothered by very fast tempos, you can look up some Venetian Snares. He has put out some records that mix up orchestral music with electronics, but most of his music is VERY hardcore-ish and extreme.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:03 am UTC

Black sun empire, Jakes and Reso are all heavier producers too. Though my personal favourite producer at the moment is Koan Sound and I'd suggest them as the most screwy producers in my post, but they are quite upbeat. I don't know if they're too upbeat. Try out Inspector dubplate as a channel with similar things.

A couple of curveballs
Hudson mowhawke
Rustie. In fact, Rustie might not be too bad a shout.
Dibiase
Major look Not a bad video on this one.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:26 pm UTC

Mumpy wrote:Black sun empire, Jakes and Reso are all heavier producers too.

I like their sound (low and growly) but structurally the songs are too predictable and melodic, if that makes any sense.

they are quite upbeat. I don't know if they're too upbeat.

Starting at about 3:10 the song got incredible. Got any more like that?

I came across this song on my town's local radio station: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y35n_1XLPy4
it's kind of repetitive, but it's got what I like.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

12th Planet is the closest unmentioned person I can think of off the top of my head. But they aren't like Koan sound much at all, could very easily be too repetitive for you.

Edit: that makes it look like I think 12th planet are close to Koan sound, I don't, I meant closest to what you're after.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

Sounds like you want some more dubsteppy stuff.

A friend of mine made this, might be what you're looking for. Trance mixed with dubstep and has Morgan Freeman samples. Sounds quite similar to that Knife Party song.

Does not have the gritty badassery, but neither did that Koan and Knife Party song, so here ya go

After searching around a bit on youtube, I also came across Airdrift. Might suit your taste.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:21 pm UTC

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 pm UTC

Jeez, Dream, I just want to say, you're like some kind of Music Santa Claus.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:25 pm UTC

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:13 am UTC

Dream wrote:Try this mix.

http://tinyurl.com/3bfga5b

Dream wrote:Merry Christmas.

The 'noise' part doesn't stay in rhythm with the rest of the song, so I couldn't enjoy this. Could I bring back my present and exchange it for something else?

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

No. Everyone should listen to Squarepusher, all the time. No excuses.

JonnieCache

Postby JonnieCache » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

http://soundcloud.com/robclouth/vaetxh-unfolding-mechanism

You're welcome.

JonnieCache

Postby JonnieCache » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgAqPZPMskk

If you're man/woman enough to handle it ;)
Last edited by JonnieCache on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:49 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

JonnieCache

Postby JonnieCache » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

Oh god and who could forget this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfr2-gDL9qo

Hecq is an absolute demon. Check out his older albums too for his chilled out stuff, its beautiful.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:45 pm UTC

By the way, I feel I have to make sure you're aware of this, right? Because noise.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:20 am UTC

This is really fun. I feel like I'm pushing my boundaries for what I consider music.

JonnieCache wrote:http://soundcloud.com/robclouth/vaetxh-unfolding-mechanism

You're welcome.

This one's right on the edge. It's tough to get a sense of the rhythm of the song, but I can tell that it's there.

JonnieCache wrote:Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgAqPZPMskk

If you're man/woman enough to handle it ;)

That one's too far. It's like the adherence to a time signature degrades as the song goes on. I'm totally giving the two above songs a couple listens through to see if my musician's brain can enjoy the challenge, but this definitely isn't "fun".

JonnieCache wrote:Oh god and who could forget this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfr2-gDL9qo

Hecq is an absolute demon. Check out his older albums too for his chilled out stuff, its beautiful.

This one is. Good lord that was quite a listen. I'll be looking through Hecq's other stuff and report back later. He looks very promising.

Dream wrote:By the way, I feel I have to make sure you're aware of this, right? Because noise.

Too much emphasis on the vocals for me. I want the noise coming from the computer, not someone's mouth.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:39 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote: I feel like I'm pushing my boundaries for what I consider music.
KrazyerKate wrote: I want the noise coming from the computer, not someone's mouth.

I admit, I am finding it very hard to reconcile these two statements.

And also, the Aphex Twin track has all kinds of noise, the voice isn't really the main sound, even though it's prominent.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:28 pm UTC

Dream wrote:
KrazyerKate wrote: I feel like I'm pushing my boundaries for what I consider music.
KrazyerKate wrote: I want the noise coming from the computer, not someone's mouth.

I admit, I am finding it very hard to reconcile these two statements.

You'll have to go into more detail, I don't know what you mean. Do you think I can't push the envelope of what I listen to without having an opinion of what I like and don't like?

And also, the Aphex Twin track has all kinds of noise, the voice isn't really the main sound, even though it's prominent.

The voice is kind of overpowering in that song for me to appreciate anything else, but unless I'm missing something, there's three layers to the song you linked to: the voice, the drums, and the "guitar". The guitar doesn't do anything but three notes repeated in a sort of drone, the voice is reminiscent of something from a metal band (which is a genre I'm not interested in exploring further), and the drum rhythm--while fast and unpredictable--is still only bass, snare, and symbols.

Most of the Aphex Twin stuff that tops the youtube search results are all pretty chill and melodic. Is there a specific album I should listen to or something?

PS: I used the word 'noise' because it was the first one that came to mind. I'm sure there's a better way to describe what I like, and I'm hoping that this thread will help find out what it is.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:09 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:Do you think I can't push the envelope of what I listen to without having an opinion of what I like and don't like?

I think you're espousing an idea of what you know you want to find, while claiming to be expanding your horizons. I don't think the latter can be true if you already know what you're looking for. Nothing wrong with wanting to find new examples of a style you already like, but I don't think you're expanding anything by doing it.

KrazyerKate wrote:The voice is kind of overpowering in...
...is still only bass, snare, and symbols.

I won't tell you what your opinion of a piece of music should be, but I do think you're not hearing most of what is in that track.

KrazyerKate wrote:Most of the Aphex Twin stuff that tops the youtube search results are all pretty chill and melodic. Is there a specific album I should listen to or something?

Not really, no. I don't think you'll find two albums that sound the same. He's feted as the best at EDM and electronics, in a very Miles Davis-like way. You can listen to pretty much any album and find wall to wall excellence, even if the sounds he's exploring at that particular time aren't exactly what you're after. I can't really point you in any one direction, other than to say it's a rewarding experience to take any album of his and give it a great deal of attention. Favourites of mine are I Care Because You Do and [/i] The Richard D James Album[/i]. Try Windowlicker* for a more accessible tune from around the time of Come To Daddy.

*Just enjoy that video :)

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:34 am UTC

Dream wrote:
KrazyerKate wrote:Do you think I can't push the envelope of what I listen to without having an opinion of what I like and don't like?

I think you're espousing an idea of what you know you want to find, while claiming to be expanding your horizons. I don't think the latter can be true if you already know what you're looking for. Nothing wrong with wanting to find new examples of a style you already like, but I don't think you're expanding anything by doing it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give off a "Hey everyone, look how open-minded I am!" vibe, I was just impressed at how bizarre and new to me the music Jonnie posted was. I just got a feeling of "I've never heard anything like this before" and "Woah, this is really fun to listen to" that I didn't get while listening to Aphex Twin. Windowlicker's a step in the right direction, but it still feels a bit too mellow for my taste.

KrazyerKate wrote:The voice is kind of overpowering in...
...is still only bass, snare, and symbols.

I won't tell you what your opinion of a piece of music should be, but I do think you're not hearing most of what is in that track.

Feel free to walk me through what I should be listening for. Electronic music isn't something I have a lot of experience with.

KrazyerKate wrote:Most of the Aphex Twin stuff that tops the youtube search results are all pretty chill and melodic. Is there a specific album I should listen to or something?

Not really, no. I don't think you'll find two albums that sound the same. He's feted as the best at EDM and electronics, in a very Miles Davis-like way.

I see this as a reason for me to try to stay away from the artist for now. If someone is hailed as a genius by the music community, it's going to be really hard to give my honest (usually negative) opinion without getting very emotional reactions. I try to stay away from discussing Sufjan Stevens for the same reason.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:Feel free to walk me through what I should be listening for.
KrazyerKate wrote:I see this as a reason for me to try to stay away from the artist for now.
KrazyerKate wrote: (usually negative)

I'm not interested in swimming upstream, sorry. I think you're being quite close minded in assuming that because one artist is very highly regarded, that people here will behave in a manner that people elsewhere have behaved with regard to other artists. It's too many presumptions, not least that you'll likely not enjoy the music concerned. I've introduced you to the music, and even suggested some listening. The rest is up to you, it's not for me to take you by the hand and lead you through it. I do hope you ultimately try to listen to the people I've linked here, and give them a chance. Honestly, though, I won't lose sleep over it if you don't. It's your journey, not mine.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

That's fine, I don't expect you to convince me to like something that I don't. I just want help exploring the genre. You can think of my dislike for Aphex Twin as a fluke if you want. I don't want you to stop recommending stuff.

Also, I meant that the opinions that people react emotionally to are usually the negative ones, not that my opinions are usually negative and that people react emotionally to them. I try to be open minded, but as soon as my analysis of a song/artist brings up things I don't like, people get angry. Maybe I phrase my analysis too combatively or something. The "If you don't know I'm not going to tell you" reaction is something I run into a lot.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:49 pm UTC

A few one-offs you might enjoy:

Infected Mushroom - You Are So Fucked -- It has lyrics that rival "Around the World", but the bass is pretty sick. I'm a large fan of Infected Mushroom and this reaches just a little too far from base for me -- but it's certainly dubstep-friendly.

Parov Stelar - Catgroove - I guess you'd call it the subgenre electro swing, but the bass gets dropped very well about midway.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:35 pm UTC

I've been listening to Hecq's album "Avenger". It's by far my favorite thing to come out of this thread, especially Nihilum.

philsov wrote:A few one-offs you might enjoy:

Infected Mushroom - You Are So Fucked -- It has lyrics that rival "Around the World", but the bass is pretty sick. I'm a large fan of Infected Mushroom and this reaches just a little too far from base for me -- but it's certainly dubstep-friendly.

This sounded almost exactly like something Skrillex would write: melodic hook followed by glorious mechanical/electronic noise. I think you're right that this isn't typical from Mushroom though. Everything else by them that I found wasn't nearly as heavy.

Parov Stelar - Catgroove - I guess you'd call it the subgenre electro swing, but the bass gets dropped very well about midway.

Not really what I'm looking for. It's way too friendly to my ears. I hope I didn't scare off the real atonal noisy stuff by saying I didn't like Dream's Aphex Twin suggestion. (Kickass dancing though. I still watched the entire video start to finish)

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat May 26, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

I'm going to keep updating this thread as I come across more music that I like.

Mord Fustang - Lick the Rainbow
It's kind of slow, but when it finally drops at 2:20 the samples come from all over the place

Wolfgang Gartner - Illmerica
Again a bit slow getting down to business. drop is at 1:30 and the real fun doesn't start until about 1:50

Schoolboy - Day Dreamer
Drop at 0:55

edIT - Ltlp
This entire album is neat, I don't have a specific song that stands out to me, but I'm kind of impressed with how much randomness I get without beating me over the head or being aggressive and loud like Schoolboy.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

"Glitchy" seems to be the adjective I'm looking for. Xilent is a really fun artist to listen to. I like how his music strings together samples. I still haven't found too many songs that are *just* the post-drop goodness that I like. Most artists seem to start with something flowy and pretty sounding to make the glitchy breakdown more exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBt6RPU9c (1:49)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY3SzX6maCc (4:45)

choginga

Postby choginga » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

So you seemed to like drum and bass but not the more structured stuff?
Current Value is about far as I can go into noise before it stops being music personally.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

http://soundcloud.com/southboy-3/1-minute-glitch
My latest find. I think I like it when samples of human voice is thrown into places.

choginga wrote:So you seemed to like drum and bass but not the more structured stuff?
Current Value is about far as I can go into noise before it stops being music personally.

Throw some melody in and that'd be perfect. Right now it just sounds like a drum solo.

Aldarion

Postby Aldarion » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

I want to ask just the same question as the thread's subject, so forgive me for intruding.

How is this and this called, and where do I get more of it?

As you can see in the videos, both of those tracks are from the soundtrack of the awesome game Uplink; that's where I heard them.
But I don't like all the songs in the soundtrack: for instance, this and this didn't impress me at all.
I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri May 17, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

http://www.noceremony.com/ has some pretty fuzzy stuff similar to invaders must die (http://www.youtube.com/n0ceremony they're youtube channel is probably better than their site)

there was a bit of aphex twin/squarepusher business a bit earlier...if you're wanting similar to prodigy you need to get down to come to daddy or windowlicker
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

johnie104

Postby johnie104 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Have you already heard the Noisia Remix of Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites? The drop is even more fucked up then in the original.

And to try something in another direction.
Post-Rock! It has a lot of noise going on, but it still has a very defined structure. It isn't electronic, so I'm not sure if it fits what you're looking for.
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

Return to “Music”