Surround Sound recommendations

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Swanny

Surround Sound recommendations

Postby Swanny » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:36 am UTC

I'm aware this isn't quite music related, but people who listen to music tend to be the most informed about speakers and sound quality, etc.
I am in dire need of someone who knows a lot about surround sound. I'm looking to buy a system and am in something of a hurry, and need recommendations. I want the best I can get for fairly cheap, willing to get not out-of-the-box if that helps. Awesome bass is priority, and the ability to also play music over them without going through the TV is a huge plus (from a computer or ipod, for example).
Any help is greatly appreciated, and if you think there's a different forum I would get better help from, point me in that direction.

starslayer

Re: Surround Sound recommendations

Postby starslayer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:28 am UTC

This is probably a bit late, but here goes...

How cheap is fairly cheap? $500? $1000? More or less? If you want specific recommendations that are worth a damn, I need a hard budget. Bear in mind that good/quality surround sound is probably going to run you a couple of grand at least. It is usually far better to ditch surround and get a good stereo or 2.1 system instead if your budget is much below that. The quality will be much better and you can easily add the center speaker and surrounds later presuming you'll be using an A/V receiver.

However, I do have some general advice:

-Always, always, ALWAYS listen to the speakers you're planning on buying using material you know well (i.e., have brought into the shop yourself) to get a feel for how they will sound. If the stereo shop owner/manager/clueless sales drone won't let you, look elsewhere.

-Don't be afraid to buy used, again after going and listening to the speakers/equipment. Well cared for speakers last practically forever.

-The subwoofer can usually wait; good ones are going to cost at least ~$500 or so by themselves, and we haven't even added the fronts and receiver yet.

That being said, if you're a complete basshead, the Klipsch sound might be for you. I'm not terribly familiar with many other brands, so I'm afraid I don't have much else to say on that front.

A/V specific forums you can check out: http://www.audioholics.com/, http://www.avsforum.com/.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:26 am UTC

If you're looking to go really cheap (like under $300) don't knock sound bars. Some are surprisingly good at mimicking surround sound if the room you're using them in is fairly rectangular.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Annihilist

Postby Annihilist » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:51 pm UTC

It can be music related - some bands remaster albums into a 5.1 surround sound DVD. Opeth and Nine Inch Nails have done that to my knowledge, I am certain more bands have done the same.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon May 14, 2012 5:14 am UTC

Annihilist wrote:It can be music related - some bands remaster albums into a 5.1 surround sound DVD. Opeth and Nine Inch Nails have done that to my knowledge, I am certain more bands have done the same.

The 2003 re-release of Dark Side of the Moon is in 5.1, as are some classical CDs (although these mostly only use the front 3 channels)
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Return to “Music”