Metal band suggestions

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Hashbrown3000

Metal band suggestions

Postby Hashbrown3000 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:56 am UTC

Hello, I have recently become a fan of the metal genre. I am a big disturbed fan (I know there is a debate to whether or not they are metal, but that's not the point). However, I am also a fan of melodic death metal. I am wondering if anyone knows of any bands in the genre that are heavy instrumentally, but do not emphasize heavy "death metal style" vocals. I like dethklok very much, but I'm disappointed that there are few bands like them (yes, I realize they are not real, so you don't have to mention it) . Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Re: Metal band suggestions

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

I like melo death but I don't really know many bands of the genre. I'll recommend you the more well known bands : Dark Tranquillity and In Flames.

Dark Tranquillity

Hours Passed in Exile

Nether Novas

Ego Drama

White Noise/Black Silence

In Flames :

The Jester's Dance

Worlds Within The Margin

Jotun

I should mention that In Flames changed styles and now they are a crappy alternative rock band.

The Binkster

Postby The Binkster » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

For Melodic Death Metal:
Scar Symmetry
Insomnium
Amon Amarth
At The Gates

For just Metal in general:
Opeth (Progressive Death Metal but the harsh vocals are fantastic and Akerfeldt has incredible clean vocals which he uses a lot, try Watershed because it's still "brutal" but without so many "cookie monster vocals")
Cynic (The new album Traced In Air has primarily clean vocals, occasional growls, but is a metal masterpiece)
Amorphis (Specifically Eclipse and Skyforger)
Mastodon (The new album is fantastic and mainly just clean vocals, there are, I think, two growls)
Heaven And Hell (Dio era Black Sabbath the new album is dark, heavy, doom metal)
Tool (brooding and not a growl in sight)

Also look into the bay area thrash and other 80s/90s metal:
Metallica
Anthrax
Testament
Exodus
Kreator
Pantera
Down
Machine Head

plus, I'm sure you have these but the NWOBHM bands:
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest (not strictly NWOBHM)
Saxon
?Manowar?
Motorhead

That should keep you going!

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

Another melodic death band that I've gotten into recently is Into Eternity. Check out their album The Scattering of Ashes.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

It's really a shame nobody actually mentions DEATH. They only gave death metal it's name, no?
Carcass is also high quality. Sorry, the vocals are growls, but you'll get used to it. Especially after using Opeth to transition into them.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

Dozer
Truckfighters
Fu Manchu
Five Horse Johnson (sort-of metal, still harder than most 'modern' metal)
Cactus
(old) Monster Magnet
(really old) Soundgarden
Rainbow Butt Monkeys

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

I definitely wouldn't call Soundgarden metal. It's way closer to rock than metal.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

(really old) Soundgarden. Everything up to Badmotorfinger. Smokestack Lightning, bitches!

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:06 am UTC

most of the 90's 'grunge' bands had metal roots (usually inspired by black sabbath), but i wouldn't consider any of them metal either including soundgarden.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:10 am UTC

In Mourning is also quite good.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:27 am UTC

horisustar wrote:It's really a shame nobody actually mentions DEATH. They only gave death metal it's name, no?

No. Possessed gave Death Metal its name.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:35 am UTC

I don't know if that's sarcasm or not. I hope it is.

Sorry. I'm fried from studying.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:00 am UTC

Possessed gave the Death Metal genre its name when they released Seven Churches, which had a track called Death Metal, and that's where the genre got its name. [citation needed].

There are actually a lot of theories about where the name came from, but it's widely accepted that it came from Possessed.

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:22 am UTC

try between the buried and me or protest the hero or cynic

cynic has these really airy space vocals - i recommend "traced in air" it's their second album they released in 2008. they're really technically proficient.

protest the hero has some growls, but not a lot and they're just for emphasis usually. fortress is their heavier album, while kezia is paced more like a punk album, and has a lot more punk influences. nevertheless, they're both still pretty good

btbam - just download colors

edit - haha, this avatar is awesome.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Cathode- that's really interesting. I'm going to ask my guitar teacher where he got his info from, and if it's credible. He used to play for Carcass in the studio sometimes, so he's pretty intimate with the genre.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:01 am UTC

aaron wrote:try between the buried and me or protest the hero

People who care more than me will crucify you for suggesting -core on a metal thread.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:19 am UTC

You may enjoy Nevermore. I suggest listening to I, Voyager first, then Believe in Nothing.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:24 am UTC

Brother Maynard wrote:

People who care more than me will crucify you for suggesting -core on a metal thread.

people are idiots

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:26 am UTC

aaron wrote:
Brother Maynard wrote:

people are idiots

Genres in general are dumb. I see why they were created, but really? To a point I think Brother Maynard was correct though, they aren't really what the OP was looking for I think.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:05 am UTC

HEY YOU GUYS WE SHOULD TOTALLY DISMISS A COMPLETELY VALID SUGGESTION JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE BREAK-DEATH-MELODIC-GRIND-CORE

acb

Postby acb » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:54 am UTC

I know Nile have vocals you might not like, but they are a bit different so maybe give them a quick listen. Sacrifice unto Sebek is their top song on last.fm. They are technical death metal with influences from Egyptian mythology and Middle-Eastern type music.

I bet there is a better example that sacrifice unto sebek, but I am only rarely in the mood for listening to metal so I don't know their stuff that well.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:02 am UTC

For heavy instrumentally and no growls, you can't go much past Symphony X. Apparently Blind Guardian are pretty good too, but I'm not a big fan myself.
Or if you wanted to check out the entire genre, go prog metal: Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation etc. And Opeth are amazing if you can get into them (try going backwards through their albums; Watershed-->Ghost Reveries-->Damnation/Deliverance-->Blackwater Park etc.

Oh, and check Katatonia. Amazing stuff from them.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

acb wrote:I know Nile have vocals you might not like, but they are a bit different so maybe give them a quick listen. Sacrifice unto Sebek is their top song on last.fm. They are technical death metal with influences from Egyptian mythology and Middle-Eastern type music.

I bet there is a better example that sacrifice unto sebek, but I am only rarely in the mood for listening to metal so I don't know their stuff that well.

Isn't that defeating the purpose though? (vocals) If by "influenced" you mean everything they growl is straight from ancient egyptian scriptures, then yes, they are influenced. Nile really is an aquired taste. Even for huge metalheads.

acb

Postby acb » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:10 pm UTC

Thats a fair point, feel free to ignore me!

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

Nah ignoring certainly isn't necessary. Im definately a picky metalhead so it's really just my thoughts.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:55 am UTC

Could someone recommend some symphonic/power/folk/neo-classical metal that's free of guttural growls being substituted for lyrics? Bonus points if the lead male singer doesn't sound like his pants are too tight or there's a good female vocalist.

Note: Please try to name bands that are somewhat off the radar. If it's Nightwish or a band of similar popularity, I likely already have it.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:22 am UTC

Brother Maynard wrote:

As the OP says,
Hashbrown3000 wrote:(I know there is a debate to whether or not they are metal, but that's not the point).

I really second the recommendations for Between the Buried and Me, Cynic, and Death. Also, metalcore is a perfectly valid subgenre and it kind of annoys me when metal elitists trash it just because it's not pure metal or whatever. That said, the amount of thoroughly mediocre metalcore bands out there is staggering.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

I would suggest Epica. There are some backing growls but the vocalist more than makes up for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dys1_TuUmI4

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:That said, the amount of thoroughly mediocre metalcore bands out there is staggering.

i'm 100% sure this is why a lot of bands hate being labeled as metalcore - but the good ones (converge, btbam etc) are just AWESOME.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 am UTC

Brother Maynard wrote:Could someone recommend some symphonic/power/folk/neo-classical metal that's free of guttural growls being substituted for lyrics? Bonus points if the lead male singer doesn't sound like his pants are too tight or there's a good female vocalist.

Note: Please try to name bands that are somewhat off the radar. If it's Nightwish or a band of similar popularity, I likely already have it.

That's a pretty specific category, what with symphonic, power and folk, but i would recommend Kiuas and Blind Guardian (excuse the crappy youtube quality).

micco

Postby micco » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:15 pm UTC

Some metal bands I like:
Deathchain
Noumena
Kalmah
Finntroll
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:01 am UTC

Brother Maynard wrote:Could someone recommend some symphonic/power/folk/neo-classical metal that's free of guttural growls being substituted for lyrics? Bonus points if the lead male singer doesn't sound like his pants are too tight or there's a good female vocalist.

Catharsis?

Diadema Tristis are pretty good folk. Almost no vocals on the album, but probably half of what vocals are used are harsh. It's not neo-classical or power metal. Hell, it's very rarely metal. But it is some of the best damn folk I've heard.

Apocrypha

Postby Apocrypha » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:20 am UTC

For melodic, I'd have to suggest Agathodaimon.
The voice may not be what you're looking for, but the instruments are pretty loud, and I'm sure you could enjoy the instruments without paying too much attention to the vocals.
As long as we're on the topic of different metals, I'd say As Blood Runs Black [[saw them with BTBAM and The Black Dahlia Murder <-- both excellent, by the way]] and they're growl/screamy, but someone here might like them and not know them.
You also might check out some of the older metalish stuff like King Diamond [[I know, I know, it doesn't fit perfectly with all of this]] they've got mostly high-pitched vocals and some growls, but they're very good, especially Devil Woman [[Cradle of Filth/King Diamond collaboration]].
Sorry if I get /ranted or chewed out, just thought I'd throw in some music.
And if the music is a bit off, it's because I'm more into screamo.
:D
Life fears death, but lives only to die.
The only cure for this fear is total destruction.
In a world of nothing, fear does not exist.
This is the world that all life desires.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:27 am UTC

Agalloch, perhaps?

I've heard they're folk metal. Haven't actually heard much by them though, the only song I've heard had it's symphonic elements, and an operatic female singer, and the male singing.. was a bit growly but not Corpsegrinder guttural, and there were also harsh bits. I totally forget then name of the song though.

Frankly, Opeth has it's folky-sounding bits. And is symphonic. And has an excellent male singer. And is awesome--but you've probably already got it.

And remember kids: If you can't find a band with the exact sound you like, make it yourself!
uhhhh fuck.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:49 am UTC

Ooohh, Agalloch is fantastic, and as close to Opeth as I've heard in a long, long time. I'd have to suggest Throne of Chaos, if it hasn't been already.

Turambar

Postby Turambar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

You probably know Sonata Arctica and Edguy, but I can't help myself. Both very good bands.

For something off the radar, try Tiamat. They're fairly heavy, with a lot of low-pitched vocals, but definitely not growling. Well, their early stuff is doom/death metal, but try the Amanethes album. Or Wildhoney.

Lastly, since you mentioned neoclassical, I am going to mention Laibach, a Slovenian band/art collective/philosophy/transnational state. They do everything from neoclassical to electronic to military music. Their album Volk is an excellent set of songs based off of and subverting various national anthems.

They also covered Bach's Die Kunst der Fugue, arguing that it represented an early form of techno.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it."
--Richard Feynman

jords

Postby jords » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:26 am UTC

I donno if it's really metal, but Rammstein is crazy awesome.

MrEmu

Postby MrEmu » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:09 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:
Brother Maynard wrote:

As the OP says,
Hashbrown3000 wrote:(I know there is a debate to whether or not they are metal, but that's not the point).

I really second the recommendations for Between the Buried and Me, Cynic, and Death. Also, metalcore is a perfectly valid subgenre and it kind of annoys me when metal elitists trash it just because it's not pure metal or whatever. That said, the amount of thoroughly mediocre metalcore bands out there is staggering.

TBH, the distinctions can be kind of blurry between genres. Obviously no one is going to confuse Tool with After the Burial, but the semantic variances music by age, vocals, discordancy, tempo, etc can get a little nuanced for my taste. In my opinion, if it sounds good, listen to it.
As far as 'metal' I would recommend:
After the Burial
All That Remains
As I Lay Dying
Between the Buried and Me (Selkies is a fucking awesome song)
Blessthefall
The Devil Wears Prada (well, some of it)
In Flames
Parkway Drive
Tool

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:10 am UTC

My dislike of metalcore doesn't have so much to do with the fact that it's not "pure metal" (I got over metal elitism by the time I was 14) but that it isn't particularly good hardcore. There are exceptions (Botch, Converge, Pig Destroyer (though the -core there is debatable), Isis (though the -core there is really, really debatable), some Between the Buried and Me I guess, though I can't think of a track of theirs besides Selkies and Arsonist that I really like) but in general I find that metalcore bands are influenced, primarily, by metal bands and metalcore bands, and so the hardcore aspects of the music tend to be the same thing over and over, band after band. Which I guess is great if you really like that sort of thing (and, hey, taste is heavily subjective so why not?), but not so great otherwise.

Oppenheimer

Postby Oppenheimer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:49 pm UTC

Circus Maximus or Ayreon

if they are too prog for you,
Doomsword or Ensiferum

Have you met my friend C20H25ON3?

Return to “Music”