Velvet Underground

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sparks

Re: Velvet Underground

Postby sparks » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

^ This.

sje46 wrote:You have to be the most idiotic person in the world to think that Whitelight/Whiteheat is even half the pure awesomeness of VU and Nico. C'mon dude. Heroin? Sunday Morning? I'm Waiting fo tthe man? The mothereffin' Black Angel's Death Song?!?!
I love WL/WH, but it's not as good. The gift is interesting. . .and Sister Ray is nto that good. I do love Lady Godiva's though.

This.

ETA: I just realized how I simply contribued with one, repeated word to this thread, so. Has anyone ever heard the Norman Dolph acetate? Someone actually ripped it and put up the songs online.
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

sparks wrote:ETA: I just realized how I simply contribued with one, repeated word to this thread, so. Has anyone ever heard the Norman Dolph acetate? Someone actually ripped it and put up the songs online.

I have! (though I really don't know why)

There are only three tracks that have radical differences -- that is, the three that were re-recoded for the album. The different versions are interesting, but not much more than that. The other tracks mostly have subtle differences, like the lack of doubletracking on the vocals in All Tomorrow's Parties. The biggest "revelation" is that European Son is unedited -- they cut a chunk of about one minute in the album version. I guess it's a cool item, and if you don't mind so many clicks and scratches that it sounds like the whole record is falling apart as it plays (it is an acetate), it's recommended.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

After putting off listening to this band for months, I finally got around to downloading "Velvet Underground & Nico". I'm definitely going to be getting the other albums by these guys. Very, very good band...and is it just me, or do they sound a lot like The Rolling Stones on "I'm Waiting For The Man"?

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Postby 6453893 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:29 am UTC

I'm starting to accrue Velvet Underground Live albums. I would not have believed that all of their songs are actually longer live. Heroin and All Tomorrow's Parties typically stretched in excess of ten minutes, White Light/White Heat went for anywhere between six and fifteen minutes, and they often played Sister Ray for more than twenty-five minutes, in one case almost forty minutes. So many of their songs just sprawl out live.

Return to “Music”