Shoegazing

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sanctuary1

Shoegazing

Postby Sanctuary1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

So I've been listening to a lot of M83 lately and was wondering if there were other bands like them? I looked up My Bloody Valentine and they were a bit older and didn't have the clean ambient sound I was looking for, however still good. Anyone out there got any ideas?
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

armandtanzarian

Re: Shoegazing

Postby armandtanzarian » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

I dunno though, in my mind My Bloody Valentine IS shoegazing.

Look for Slowdive. The first half of Souvlaki is awesome. Also early Sigur Ros. Otherwise most of the people who still use shoegazing have assimilated the genre's signatures ino post-rock and britpop.

Astronick

Postby Astronick » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

It's kind of difficult to recommend something based on liking M83 because they span quite a range of genres and styles but one of the very best shoegaze bands is Ride. Other bands you might like to check out (in an M83 vein) are [url=http://www.last.fm/music/múm]Múm[/url] and The Album Leaf.
We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

I really like Deerhunter. Bradford Cox can't write any bad music.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

Alcest is pretty good. Neige is generally a black metal artist, but his shoegaze output as Alcest is still pretty excellent.

Sanctuary1

Postby Sanctuary1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

Awesome input. I'm now going to be checking out...

Souvlaki - Slowdrive
Von - Sigur Ros
Nowhere - Ride
Yesterday was Dramatic -- Today is Okay - Mum
Into the Blue Again - The Album Leaf
Cryptograms - Deerhunter
Souvenirs d'un autre monde - Alcest

Thanks guys
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

Von is a rather strange album. The band pretty much disowns it, but I think it's a really interesting insight into the band's roots -- and it does have Myrkur, a really, really wonderful song, and different enough from the band's later output to be worth checking out. It also has Hafsol and Von, two songs that'd be constantly revisited by the band's "grandeur" later on.

ndansmith

Postby ndansmith » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:32 am UTC

Starflyer 59's first album Silver has some notable Shoegaze influence, particularly on the back half of the record, but that is as far as it goes.

lilsister

Postby lilsister » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

"I'd like this band, but other people like this band. So I hate this band, until other people hate this band. Then I will like this band again. God, I'm just so different. It's like, I'm on another level of existence. Sheep."

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:49 am UTC

I think some old Blur is considered shoegaze, as well as The Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy.

keith hic

Postby keith hic » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

I think some old Blur is considered shoegaze, as well as The Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy.

Although the 2 toured together (NME rollercoster tour) with MBV, I don't think blur could (or would have like) to have been called shoegazing. Damon's performances back then were frantic (very un shoegaze like). JAMC on the other hand were more elder statesment to the scene, having inspried the feedback driven sound of bands like MBV and Ride.

If JAMC were ever part of the shoegazing scene, then Honeys Dead lp would have been the one of the time - and frankly, this was one of the sharper sounding recording. crisper drums and clearer vocals.
That said, if you like shoegaze / post rock and haven't been listeing to early JAMC then you've missed a big part of it's history.

Blur - always a indie pop band, but some of the early B side had a drone quotenet to them, and it's where some of thsier best non pop tracks live.

Also suggest checking out The Perfect Disaster. The track 'Down' (with Josephine Wiggs playing Cello) is iconic.
Phil Parfitt later work as 'Oedipussy' is also classic lost shoegaze. More Wispy than the drity sound of The Perfect Disaster.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:53 pm UTC

The Angelic Process. Not sure if they fall under shoe gaze but still.

GOGOGO. LISTEN. NOW.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

If you like shoegaze there's a lot of post rock out there that draws heavily from shoegaze. You'd probably dig explosions in the sky but when it really comes down to it I feel like you should just listen to more My Bloody Valentine lol. They just kick so much ass, and they're back together! SWEEEEET
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

I think post-rock is over-rated. It's not bad, I'd just rather listen to other things. I would've put that in the unpopular musical opinions thread but I don't want to bump it.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

armandtanzarian

Postby armandtanzarian » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:12 am UTC

PhantomReality wrote:If you like shoegaze there's a lot of post rock out there that draws heavily from shoegaze. You'd probably dig explosions in the sky but when it really comes down to it I feel like you should just listen to more My Bloody Valentine ¡This cheese is burning me!. They just kick so much ass, and they're back together! SWEEEEET

I KNOW.
Sorry, but an experience like that deserves bragging.

I don't know about you, thing is, genres like post-rock and shoegazing require a little bit of patience. Takes some time before you can really enjoy it.

Sanctuary1

Postby Sanctuary1 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:03 am UTC

I found the problem. I had listened to their preshoegazing kinda stuff, like The New Record by My Bloody Valentine and Sunny Sundae Smile. I listened to Loveless and it is extremely what I was looking for.

someguy

Postby someguy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:06 am UTC

I started a thread about shoegaze a while back, got some good recommendations there as well so you may want to check it out.

It's here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13998&hilit=Shoegaz%2A

Of the ones there I can heartily recommend the Brian Jonestown Massacre album (like it says on the thread, it's not technically shoegaze, but it's an amazing album and does have the 'narcotic' feel to it.)

There's also a link to something called A Beautiful Machine or something like that, in there; check them out, they're good-- and free.

I'll be checking out some of the recs on this thread myself.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Astronick

Postby Astronick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Interesting stuff. The continuation of this thread has made me realise that:

a) I have left my JaMC CD's at my parents house :-(
b) I want to listen to Death Cab for Cutie just for that JaMC reference
c) There is a band called Glasvegas who have brought the JaMC sound into 2008
d) There is a band called Engineers who have a similar M83 "clean" shoegazing sound

That is all. :D
We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

In addition to the other recommendations in this thread, I'll add Asobi Seksu and Lush.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:49 pm UTC

I wholeheartedly second the recommendation of A Beautiful Machine. It's some very high-quality stuff. I've listened to their whole discography now, and it's worth paying for.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Return to “Music”