4) Nope
10%
5th optional answer - Fresh from Guitar Hero/Rock Band
3%

Total votes: 39

GCM

Guitar Players United

Postby GCM » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Are there many here? I'm not sure, so I decided to run this to take a look. There's four options here, so whether you don't play, are fresh with the nearest teacher, done some stuff before, or are a regular, there's a bunch of options.

Also, any general discussion here wouldn't be bad.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

cypherspace

Re: Guitar Players United

Postby cypherspace » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:50 am UTC

Played since 2001, but not brilliantly. I half blame my guitar and half myself. Never had any lessons. Performance-wise I organise open mic nights for my university and play at those on a monthly basis.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

"as a hobby" is about closest option there to me. I play rarely. I can't read tabs very easily, and find sheet music easier to read, so, well, chords do not happen for me. I blame being taught classically. I should probably try again, learning from tabs.. which I assume is the best way to learn?

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

I play (daily) as a hobby, and have been for the last couple years. I'm not good or anything, but I don't suck horribly either, I'd say I only suck a little.

existential_elevator wrote:I can't read tabs very easily, and find sheet music easier to read, so, well, chords do not happen for me.

You can learn chords from chord charts too, which are really easy to read. Sometimes, when people are transcribing the music for songs, if it's just chording they'll just put down the progression and, maybe, the charts at the beginning.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

Something like 12 years for me. I need to get into a band, though. It's been too long.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

Been playing for about two years. I don't mean to brag, but people are usually surprised that I've played for such a short time. I spend most of the time playing rancid blues-funk and classical guitar, recently I've started getting into jazz, which is hella tough.

And tabs are certainly not the best way to learn.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:05 am UTC

I'm a regular, been playing 5 years. I'm as superlatively good as I can state without coming across as egotistical (I'm not a big fan of that 'what? oh, me? no, i suck at [whatever]. *put hands in pockets and shuffles one foot around on the ground for bob-knows-what reason*" thing. if you're good at something, say so).

I'm pretty much at that critical-point where you switch from amateur to virtuoso (my plan is to become a guitar god by the end of the year). I'm comfortable with theory, and got a pretty comprehensive idea of most of the things you can do with a guitar (except for jazz and gypsy-jazz-type stuff... yet), now I'm just spending my time really focusing on getting both hands to go exactly where I want them, and emphasising the technical side of practice with the intent of being able to get the amplified poetry in my minds-ear to flow from my fingers.

Also, I really want to start/join a band. Playing by yourself (o-ho) has limits. I've got to that point where I can't see how I've managed the past 5 years without a living, breathing, dynamic rhythm section to riff off of.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

Hyena

Postby Hyena » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:35 am UTC

been playing bass now for about 3, maybe 4 years. I knew a little guitar and extensive piano before starting, and now sometimes i play guitar now and then. i'm not that good, but its not a really serious thing for me. been playing opeth riffs (because its probably the only metal band (that i know of/like) that plays in standard tuning) and whatever else pops into my head.
Nougatrocity wrote:I refute it with having several female friends that OH MY GOD I WANT TO SEX. But that doesn't get in the way of friendship.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

Early-era Metallica (aka, the only Metallica, IMO) played in standard tuning. Check out Pulling Teeth from Kill 'Em All.

Also, what style does everyone play? I mean if you took how you played right now and went 15 years down the road and were a badass motherfucker at guitar, who would you be (they don't have to be a Steve Vai-type virtuouso). I think I'd be Dave Mustaine. Unfortunately. I'd prefer to be someone better, but it's how I play. Oddly, on bass, I tend to sound way more like Flea. Even though I want to sound like the Colonel.

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

I've only played for *checking the year* uh, two or three years. I can't use a pick (I probably could if someone gave me one and forced me to use it, but nah). All I can play is Green Day (because all their songs are basically power chords plus some random notes occasionally), Metallica (actually just pre-black album songs and black album songs), one Pink Floyd song (Wish You Were Here (duh), I can play bits of others, such as Learning to Fly, Time, Comfortably Numb, and Interstellar Overdrive), random bits of Radiohead (uh, half the songs from The Bends, and Paranoid Android), and some random crap that I can never remember I know how to play until others remind me that I do.

I don't take lessons, but I might take some just to try and play better. I use try to listen to the song (I usually try to listen to a live version as well as a studio version), and try to get some notes, and then I look at a tab or normal music. I find it easier to use tab when playing guitar though.

I can play classical music given at least two weeks of practice per page of music. -_-

In short, I suck.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

keith hic

Postby keith hic » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

never had lessons, but played in bands for the last 15 years as the song writer.

never practice how to play, becasue i always ended up writing new songs - way more fun.

Haven't touched a guitar for two years, but bet i can still play at my usual (rubbish) level.

am i guatarist? i don't know. but none of the options fit me

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

keith hic wrote:never practice how to play, becasue i always ended up writing new songs - way more fun.

The problem I have with that though is that when I make up a new guitar part for a song it always sounds at least a bit unoriginal or a riff in the song sounds unoriginal or something. Plus I can't write lyrics. People say I do but I can't. So I don't.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

I used to play. Was fairly serious too. Had a great teacher, the lead guitarist from a well known local band who'd vary my lessons between classical guitar playing and more rock-orientated stuff. But my life got busy, and I had to cut things out...and the guitar was one of those things that was taking up too much spare time. Maybe I'll start again, when I can afford to.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

Mercurius wrote:I used to play. Was fairly serious too. Had a great teacher, the lead guitarist from a well known local band who'd vary my lessons between classical guitar playing and more rock-orientated stuff. But my life got busy, and I had to cut things out...and the guitar was one of those things that was taking up too much spare time. Maybe I'll start again, when I can afford to.

Pretty much the same. I played on and off for around two years, and then dropped it when I ran out of time in my days. Kind of started playing piano instead. My mom plays, though, and occasionally I pick up one of her guitars... she's infinitely better than I am :shock:
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:00 am UTC

WHAT THIS THREAD NEEDS IS MORE SLEEPYGAMER.

I've been playing just about 2 and bit years now. Or is it 3? I can't remember. I'm in music college, and I'm loving it. I'm actually 90% self-taught. I only learn scales and so on from college. My dad taught me the basics. I'm currently suffering from guitarist's wrist, which means my fretting hand HURTS LIKE FUCK whenever I go to play. I probably slept on it.

I generally play metal. I'm into Pantera's post-thrash stuff, and some Megadeth and a helluva lotta death metal. I plays all sorts though. It freaks some people out when I'll be sitting in the corner, jamming to some soft blues or funk, and then I'll flick a switch on the amp and jam out some Pantera or Children of Bodom.

I recently had a jam session at a local pub with my dad. I only played a couple of songs, as I was very drunk. Everyone said I was pretty good, even though I was running through a fucking awful Orange amp. Jeez. It sucked. No subtlety, just horrible crunch. Ick.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:09 am UTC

Roughly where is everyone? It'd be cool to have a jam and whatnot. Since discovering Plankton, it's been in the back of my mind that twin lead goodness is what I need, some yin to my yang, or vice-versa.

I'm a lahndahner.

Hey Sleepygamer, awhile back I was musing on stuffs, and figured everyone pays a shitload of money towards tuition fees, and that's supposed to cover lecturers' time, resources etc. But there's always empty seats, so I used to entertain this idea of finding what classes are on, where, and just sort of, er, 'sneak-in' to lectures and learn random stuff. Anyway, yeah, I was particularly considering doing this for Music classes, if ever I could find any.
Would any of the classes at your college be vulnerable to my method?
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:41 am UTC

I'm near Dallas.

I've been playing for like, 4, 5, years now. Guitar was my second instrument. I'm not the greatest guitarist, but I'm not bad (I can tap pretty well, pick pretty fast. I can fumble my way through most Human Abstract songs). I cannot yet sweep, but I haven't put a whole lot of effort into it. That kind summarizes me as a guitarist, I can't do any of the batshit crazy solo stuff, but I haven't really tried. I plan on doing that soon.
Singing and playing is fun, I've been doing that for the past year or so and have gotten, if I may say so myself, pretty damn good at it.
I'm in a band, but it's just me and a drummer, and guitar is just one of my many duties - I also play bass, sing, occasionally vibes/sax/accordion/whatever. Also, I write all the music.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Blokey wrote:Roughly where is everyone? It'd be cool to have a jam and whatnot. Since discovering Plankton, it's been in the back of my mind that twin lead goodness is what I need, some yin to my yang, or vice-versa.

I'm a lahndahner.

Hey Sleepygamer, awhile back I was musing on stuffs, and figured everyone pays a shitload of money towards tuition fees, and that's supposed to cover lecturers' time, resources etc. But there's always empty seats, so I used to entertain this idea of finding what classes are on, where, and just sort of, er, 'sneak-in' to lectures and learn random stuff. Anyway, yeah, I was particularly considering doing this for Music classes, if ever I could find any.
Would any of the classes at your college be vulnerable to my method?

Well... for one thing, I'm going to the Leeds College of Music. If ya live in London, it's a 3 hour or more journey to Leeds, mate!

Hmm, how old are you? If you are under 19, you can get free Higher Education courses. Like me. 8)

Anyway... most of our classes are small... groups of about 20 people or so... and they take a register every lesson. You'd never sneak in.

Besides, you need a college ID card.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Blokey wrote:Roughly where is everyone? It'd be cool to have a jam and whatnot.

Sure, I live in Chile, that's right next to Argentina. D:
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

I'm down near Bournemouth, so call it 2 hours on the train to get to London. A little distance, not as bad as Leeds though.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

peter

Postby peter » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

I've been playing pretty consistently for about eight to nine years. I treat it much like a hobby, but I put down "veteran" as I feel quite confident about my playing. I played classical guitar exclusively for the first five years or so, which was about the time in which I took lessons. After that, I picked up an electric guitar, and have been dabbling in it recently.

To the person who said that tabs would have been a better option to learn by, I disagree. I know many people who only know tabs, and regret not being able to play sheet music at all. It's a great skill to have. In addition, I don't know why you think learning classically is a bad thing. In my opinion, it is the most beneficial long-term sacrifice to make, because once you can play classical guitar, you can play anything.

Tpl2000

Postby Tpl2000 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

woot.

i've only been playing a year, but i play guitar nonetheless. as far as an XKCD jam goes...we could use ventrilo. take an ordinary amp cord, plug it into your guitar, put a 1/4 in. >3.5mm converter (costs like $2, maybe 3) and put it in the mic plug of your computer. technically the electrical part of your guitar IS a microphone, it's just shaped differently and is actually part of the guitar(microphones aren't part of your mouth.) it would take a bit of setup with vent, but the program is free. the only remaining part is for someone to have a vent server...and if any of you play WoW or some other MMO, your guild PROBABLY has a vent server we could use. hell, if you play anything multiplayer over the internet regularly with a set bunch of people, you've probably used vent before.

I usually listen to funk metal, classic rock, a bit of metal (no screaming though, just the guitar parts,) and some hard rock.
I play some funk metal, some classic rock, some metal, and...some grunge, actually.
Probably my biggest accomplishment to this point is playing Thunderstruck by AC/DC at the correct tempo, and faster(still can't get the solo.) It astonishes me to find that people who have been trying for years still haven't gotten it.

Return to “Music”