Culture me! (AKA Favourite non-English music)

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

The Rumpled Academic

Re: Culture me! (AKA Favourite non-English music)

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

Off the top of my head:
Juana Molina is a stunningly good Argentinian folk musician who utilises subtle psychedelic electronics really skilfully and prettily.
Kasai Allstars are my favourite African band. Their latest album, "In The 7th Moon, The Chief Turned Into A Swimming Fish And Ate The Head Of His Enemy By Magic," is as amazing as the name implies. Distorted thumb pianos, spctacular rhythms and polyrhythms, about 12 lead singers... shit is awesome.
Rajaton are a truly kick-ass Finnish choral group with some of the tightest harmonies the right side of Autotune.
Usman Achmad is an Indonesian guitar player who mostly plays cheery duets with ukeleles - impossible not to smile when hearing them.
Kemialliset Ystävät and Islaja - crazy-cool Finnish noise/free-folk.

And then, stepping away from folk music,
Dungen are a brilliant early-seventies throwback psych-rock band with a really cool sense of melody, and of good old-fashioned riffage.
Säkert is a sweet indie-shoegaze-pop-making Swede, and for the most part sings in Swedish. Songs like "Ditt Kvarter" mean she'll never leave my music collection.
Benni Hemm Hemm - trumpetful Icelandic indiepop yayzorz!
Ariane Moffat - French-Canadian singer/songwriter - makes really good, jaunty, thoughtful music - listen to "Montréal" and ye shall see and be converted.
Múm - meticulously crafted Icelandic pop, with a very cool kind of organically-grown-sounding electronica.
Boredoms and OOIOO are pretty well the coolest bands ever. They sing in Japanese when they sing at all (although, knowing them, they could just be singing nonsense syllables and pissing themselves laughing at us), and over the years have contributed more to the world of experimental rock than it is remotely possible to do justice to in a summary as perfunctory as this one. Get into them; that's my advice. :)

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

I'm sort of weird, and I can pretty much listen to any kind of Chinese or Japanese popular music granted that it isn't rap. (I mean seriously, what the hell?)

Uh, anyway, for a Chinese band, I like Twelve Girls Band, because they have awesome instrumental skills. (I counted them in a music video and there were thirteen!!!) A Chinese singer I like (I like, a lot of people probably don't) is Jacky Cheung, but the newest thing I've heard from him is at least fifteen years old. (In case of misunderstanding: What I mean is that I haven't heard anything he's done since about fifteen years ago.)

For Japanese stuff, (note: I get most of my Japanese music from watching anime) I guess a good band is L'arc~en~ciel, and there are a whole bunch of random pop artists that are really awesome.

Uh, for some European stuff, can't think of anything right now, but once I do, I'll post something.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:47 am UTC

Bonde do Role (I am missing some accents I think, but I am lazy okay?) is an amazing Brazillian dance-electro-something band.
Listen to:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iv8mZh3MHhA
I sing anyway.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:20 am UTC

mrguy753 wrote:Bonde do Role (I am missing some accents I think, but I am lazy okay?) is an amazing Brazillian dance-electro-something band.
Listen to:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iv8mZh3MHhA

They replaced their singer. I don't like the new one.

malec2b

Postby malec2b » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

I don't think anyone has mentioned Magma. They sing in a made up language called Kobian (they are also a french band) so as you could expect their music is an...acquired taste.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

Someone did mention magma :D

They are awesome. I've only heard Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh, though.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

poleboy

Postby poleboy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:24 am UTC

Some electro for ya:

The Knife (Swedish)

Acustic (Danish)

bishop186

Postby bishop186 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

My two favorite Spanish (spoken language, not geographical location) artists are La Gusana Ciega and Fobia. Give them both a listen if you're into rock. If you like more punky stuff, I suggest Gito Gito Hustler. They have English interspersed throughout their lyrics but it's mostly Japanese.

Korpiklaani and Dragon Ash have already been mentioned.
I Rock (to:)

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

La gusana ciega are pretty alright, especially the song 'invasion estelar'
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

amynguyen

Postby amynguyen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:09 am UTC

One of my favorite non-English groups is Perfume, a Japanese techno/pop group.

This is my favorite song being performed at one of their concerts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMr0BpTRkUI

Edit: I like this song, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvXBFJ-i-z8

Soylent Heliotrope

Postby Soylent Heliotrope » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Kraftwerk (German electropop)
POLYSICS (Japanese synthpunk)

I'm not very knowledgeable about foreign music, sorry.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:04 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Also, "Bak Et Hallelujah" by the Kaizer's Orchestra from Norway. Some of their other work is merely OK, but this song is the shit.

I second that! I also love their song "Kontroll På Kontinentet," but it's not as user friendly, so to speak.

It you like alternative rock, then I recommend "One Track Mind" and "Big Mouth" by Missile Girl Scoot. I got those songs off of the Friends & Family 2 compilation.

If you like techno mixed with folk music, then Urban Trad is pretty fun, although not all of their songs aren't in English. Normally I don't like dance music, but I make exceptions if it's unusually happy and/or energetic. Some of my favorites are: Vodka Time (Mass' Mix), Quimper-Moscou, Vodka Time, Kerua, Avreel, and Get Reel. But be warned, the last one is kind of disco-y.
I like Quimper-Moscou the best, and it's just a matter of time until someone sets it to a repeating anime clip and makes a new meme.

Although not really in the spirit of this thread, there's a Japanese band called HeavensDust that combines heavy metal with Japanese folk music. The thing is, on the album I have they sing in English, not Japanese, although the music itself is definitely Japanese. For instance, sometimes they use a koto to keep rhythm.

Oh, and since this is the internet, go ahead and buy "Ievan Polkka" by Loituma.
There's also "Koyaanisqatsi" by Philip Grass Ensemble, which is entirely in the Hopi language.
(yes, I am kidding about those last two)

I'll edit in some links to all of these once I find some.Done.
EDIT: Links add in.
Last edited by Mr. Mack on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 am UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:
Although not really in the spirit of this thread, there's a Japanese band called Heaven's Dust that combines heavy metal with Japanese folk music. The thing is, on the album I have they sing in English, not Japanese, although the music itself is definitely Japanese. For instance, sometimes they use a koto to keep rhythm.

Cavo are another Japanese band that do something similar. Side project of a member of Corrupted.

fuffybaby18

Postby fuffybaby18 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:Azam Ali does a bunch of stuff in English, a bunch not... her voice is beautiful. She's now American, but from Iran, originally. (try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pwfkfui_Yc )

Middle Eastern
Azam Ali is worlds of win! Her band, Niyaz is also pretty awesome... they do a lot of work with Rumi's poetry and such. Here's my favorite song of theirs:Allahi Allah She was also in a duo named Vas a few years back, who are pretty awesome if you can find their stuff.
Oum Kalthoum is also a must to listen to, if you want to learn more about Middle Eastern music. She's a bit of a legend, especially in Egypt, but else where as well.

Eastern European
Kitka Women's Vocal Ensemble is actually based in California, but they are the group that got me into traditional Bulgarian music. They perform traditional music from all over Eastern Europe though. Magnatune lets you stream a lot of their music, which rocks pretty hard.
Angelite is another traditional Bulgarian group.
Transsylvanians are a Hungarian folk rock band.
Zlata Dzardanova is a Russian singer who does folk, pop and classical.
Taraf de Haidouks is a Rromani band, which has some of the most awesome fiddling I've ever witnessed! (Also, try to watch Latcho Drom or Gypsy Caravan if you're interested in Rromani music).

Western European
Laïs is a Belgian folk band.
There are quite a few Celtic bands that sing a lot of songs in Gaelic like Gaelic Storm or The Chieftains.
I've also started really getting into French a capella and Corsican polyphony, my favorites being La Mal Coiffée and A Filetta respectively.

Other
Jorane is a jazz cellist from Quebec who sings a lot in French.
Huun-Huur-Tu is a Eastern Russian group, who gives a lovely introduction to the art of throat singing, which is incredibly awesome!
Sousou is a kora player from Sweden. A kora is a guitar/harp like instrument from Western Africa that is used by a musical tradition similar to bards.
And the Shankars (Ravi and his daughter Anoushka) should never be over looked if you're looking into Indian music.

I'm going into ethnomusicology, so a lot of these groups are traditional groups. And at least most of these groups/people have myspace pages. I'll have to look at all these other groups now, there looks to be some great stuff here!

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

This came up on Pandora radio (which you should really look up if you don't know about it) and I liked it:

Ce Jeu—Yelle (French)
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Grooving Tony

Postby Grooving Tony » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

the Belgian punk rocker Plastic Bertrand complete nonsense but makes you wont to sin along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDfmn_TMkI
It's turtles all the way down
Panda
BHCM
protect the flag
snuggles
Jahoclave wrote:Tip: Shotgun, they could be a zombie. Remember, you're the first step in preventing the zombie apocalypse.

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:59 am UTC

Vox Imperatoris wrote:This came up on Pandora radio (which you should really look up if you don't know about it) and I liked it:

Ce Jeu—Yelle (French)

Yes! (or, oui!) Yelle is great. I also recommend Je veux te voir, another song by her.
I compulsively edit posts.

Flectarn

Postby Flectarn » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:48 am UTC

Bella Ciao' - as preformed by the Red Army Choir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfdJ2WO8Pvg

Mr. Cool- Snook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_eepOSos88

Honolulu Strandbikini- Catrina Valente
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foQCMuV3ChI

Jovonoti- Noi
http://www.last.fm/music/Jovanotti/_/Noi

The national anthem of Kurdistan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EusLIcsjCgo

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

Lots of stuff I need to check out in this thread, but no mention of Os Mutantes? They have been, hands down, the best rock band in Brazilian history, and their stuff rivals a lot of European / North American stuff. It's true that a lot of their humour might be lost on people who don't understand Portuguese or are unfamiliar with how Brazil was back in the 60's/70's, but their music is... out of this world. Their first, self-titled LP should make heads spin. My favourite is their second LP, and A Divina Comédia ou Ando Meio Desligado is excellent, too.

And then, in '73, they turned into a prog band. A decent prog band, actually, but pretty much a Brazilian clone of Yes.

Anyway, there are still several other Brazilian rock and/or pop bands which are really good. O Rappa goes for a funk/electronica/hip-hop kind of brew, and their sound is very organic and energetic. Os Paralamas do Sucesso is a bit more, um, "intellectual" at times, but they can be enormously fun too. And then there's the definitive "LOVE it or HATE it" band, Legião Urbana, which I particularly like quite a lot. They never really achieved a style of their own, and 100% of their music owes to lots of post-punk British bands, but they have a lot of gorgeous music out there. V, for me, is their primary album.

And don't miss the album Clube da Esquina, by Milton Nascimento and Lô Borges: it's a whole universe of music.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

Is Os Mutantes the band with the Oh me yarm Oh AMAZING guitarist? Cause I heard a brazilian prog band, but can't remember if it was os mutantes or another one.
-Ambrose Bierce

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

You want culture? Go listen to some Bach. His St. Matthew's Passion is some of the best choral music I've ever heard.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Is Os Mutantes the band with the Oh me yarm Oh AMAZING guitarist? Cause I heard a brazilian prog band, but can't remember if it was os mutantes or another one.

They don't have many albums from their progressive phase, but the guitarist is definitely amazing. I can't say much, though, because I know nearly nothing about Brazilian prog bands. I have to say I'm not too interested in prog, because not too many bands are bold enough to break the barrier and do something new - too many of them feel like they have to be "faithful" to the Gods, i.e. Yes and Genesis and stuff.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:06 am UTC

No African music?
Try Angelique Kidjo - amazing voice, excellent music. I actually like her older albums like Fifa and Oremi better than the newest (Djin Djin). She sings in quite a few languages...some English, Fon, Swahili, French, and Yourba. Depending on the album you get different kinds of music. The older ones are more African. Later ones she follows the slave trade route with albums like Black Ivory Soul, and moves to styles taken to the Caribbean, Brazil, etc. Soul, zouk, makossa, jazz, reggae, rumba, and I could go on. And yet manage to make them all work and flow smoothly. Definitely one of my favorite artists.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:39 am UTC

I'm starting to get a bit more into French rap now.

I mentioned Sniper in my first post. Additionally, both Tunisiano and Aketo from the group have released separate albums. There're also two female rap artists I'm interested in: Kenza Farah and Zaho. You might want to try searching for their stuff off of YouTube.

I ordered Kenza Farah and Tunisiano's debut albums; just waiting for them to arrive in the mail now. KF
~Kizyr

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

amysrabbitranch wrote:No African music?
Try Angelique Kidjo - amazing voice, excellent music. I actually like her older albums like Fifa and Oremi better than the newest (Djin Djin). She sings in quite a few languages...some English, Fon, Swahili, French, and Yourba. Depending on the album you get different kinds of music. The older ones are more African. Later ones she follows the slave trade route with albums like Black Ivory Soul, and moves to styles taken to the Caribbean, Brazil, etc. Soul, zouk, makossa, jazz, reggae, rumba, and I could go on. And yet manage to make them all work and flow smoothly. Definitely one of my favorite artists.

Angelique Kidjo is incredible.

Her version of Summertime is as good as Ella's.

My favorite song of hers (of what little I've heard) is Adouma - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-BIKAghOeY

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
They don't have many albums from their progressive phase, but the guitarist is definitely amazing. I can't say much, though, because I know nearly nothing about Brazilian prog bands. I have to say I'm not too interested in prog, because not too many bands are bold enough to break the barrier and do something new - too many of them feel like they have to be "faithful" to the Gods, i.e. Yes and Genesis and stuff.

I confused them with Bacamarte. And yeah, a lot of bands tend to be copies of the bigger ones, but there is a lot of cool stuff out there.

Edit: Also Los Jaivas
-Ambrose Bierce

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:44 am UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:
amysrabbitranch wrote:No African music?

Angelique Kidjo is incredible.

Her version of Summertime is as good as Ella's.

My favorite song of hers (of what little I've heard) is Adouma - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-BIKAghOeY

Thanks! I haven't heard that one. I only have Oyaya, Fifa, Black Ivory Soul, Djin Djin, and Oremi. That song is on Aye, and I don't have that one...or Logozo, Paraku, or Pretty. Fifa is the oldest one I have. She toured with Josh Groban for his Awake tour, and I am sad I didn't get to attend either concert they did in MI. I actually found her because of the duet they did for "Pearls", and then became more interested in African music.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Xenon Screams

Postby Xenon Screams » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 am UTC

Lee Jung Hyun.

100%. She is a really amazing, creative K-Pop artist. I dig it so much. She's also really hot.
This is the last night in my body.

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:42 pm UTC

Random list of things off the top of my head (some already mentioned):

JJ Lin: Singapore MandoPop - a lot of bubblegum, but look for "Cao Cao"
Cold Fairyland: Chinese trad/prog/indy/jazz/ambient fusion based in Shanghai.
Angelique Kidjo: Already mentioned
In Extremo: ditto
Corvus Corax: ditto (Cantus Buranus ftw!) = Tanzwut without guitars
Chancho en Piedra: Chilean heavy funk - look for Volantin, Locura Espacial, Mampato, Eligiendo una Reina (translate the lyrics!)
Gondwana: Chilean Reggae - look for Antonia
Yothu Yindi: Oz rock - some tracks in Yolngu (an Australian indigenous language)
Coco Zhao: Chinese Jazz
Haydamaky: Ukranian folk-funk
Sigur Ros: yeah, you already know
Ozomatli: I think you've heard of them...
Rokia Traore: Malian singer. Look her up...

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

Ooh, the Avalanche song on the Guitar Hero III bonus songs. I like that one!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Damien

Postby Damien » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

the Jband Mono is very good.
Not "Mana", Mono.
Big difference.

They're post rock, no lyrics, song that are twelve minutes long that swell and crash like an old Beethoven number.
Check out "The Flames beyond the Cold Mountain" off their album "You are there".

Epic.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

Damien wrote:the Jband Mono is very good.
Not "Mana", Mono.
Big difference.

They're post rock, no lyrics, song that are twelve minutes long that swell and crash like an old Beethoven number.
Check out "The Flames beyond the Cold Mountain" off their album "You are there".

Epic.

I've still never heard any of their recordings, but I saw them open for High on Fire once, and they were fantastic. Definately stole the show.

They remind me a little of Green Milk From The Planet Orange.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

I mentioned Ce Jeu earlier, and they just came out with this for it.
Weirdest. Video. Ever.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Melannen

Postby Melannen » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Its kind of both a song and a dance.... but I LOVE the native Smoke Dance that's done at powwows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl0R3O1Hjbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUlXBSSX ... re=related

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:47 am UTC

For Japanese music, I recommend Hironobu Kageyama. Also, if you're into J-Pop, BeForU is great, too, though people who don't really like J-Pop never seem to like them.

Then there's ZUN a.k.a. Team Shanghai Alice (上海アリス幻樂団), a Japanese guy who composes great instrumental music. (Yes, Team Shanghai Alice consists of only one member.) He also pretty much gives fans carte blanche to make derivative works as doujin music, so there's a lot of vocal versions of his songs out there, mostly in Japanese. You can usually find them tagged under "Touhou Arrange" (東方 アレンジ) or "Touhou VocalBGM" (東方VocalBGM). ネクロファンタジア ("Necrofantasia") is a particularly good song that seems to have about a bajillion fan remixes.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

Qoppa

Non-English Music

Postby Qoppa » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Hey all
I'm looking for good music in languages other than English. Any language. Folk/folk rock/folk electronica (folk element optional I suppose) with vocals that are nice and singalongable.

Examples of stuff I'm looking for:
Garmarna
Corvus Corax
Rammstein
Otyg

Examples of stuff I'm not looking for:
Folk metal with vocals I can't understand because they're screamed/growled. More than half of what I listen to probably falls into this category, and I already have a lengthy list to check out.
Rap (unless it's hilarious).

xkcd, go!

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

Aethernox

Re: Non-English Music

Postby Aethernox » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:30 am UTC

Sigur Rós.
It's a combination of gibberish and Icelandic, iirc.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Not sure if this is significantly different from what you're looking for, but there's this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22105&start=0

I gave a pretty long list myself in that thread. KF
~Kizyr

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

@ Aethernox: I listen to them already. Good stuff

@ Kizyr: Haha, wow. I even posted in that thread. Thanks

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

Return to “Music”