Culture me! (AKA Favourite non-English music)

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Culture me! (AKA Favourite non-English music)

Postby Mathmagic » Wed May 07, 2008 2:47 am UTC

I intend to expand my musical horizons, not only by exploring new genres, but by delving into new languages of music as well!

Bands I currently have some music from:

And One (German synthpop)
Daddy Yankee (Spanish/Latino rap/pop)
Funker Vogt (German industrial)
Rammstein (German electrorock (?))
Sigur Rós (Icelandic... something)
Wolfsheim (German synthpop)

So come forward with your favourite non-English artists/songs! :)
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Re: Culture me! (AKA Favourite non-English music)

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed May 07, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Non-English? You sure you want me to tell you about non-English music?

OK, go on iTunes and download the entire album "The Light and the Shadow" by artists "Subliminal & the Shadow". They win BIG TIME.

Fanboy AWAAAAYYY!!!

Also, "Bak Et Hallelujah" by the Kaizer's Orchestra from Norway. Some of their other work is merely OK, but this song is the shit.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Jax184

Postby Jax184 » Wed May 07, 2008 5:31 am UTC

Adiemus - Ceridwen's Curse.

Oh, you mean you wanted songs in REAL languages? :mrgreen:

All I can say is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-aVr92R-dQ - have fun getting this song out of your head.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Wed May 07, 2008 7:15 am UTC

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci! Some of their stuff is in English, but lots of it is in Welsh.

My favourite song by them is Iechyd Da

And Jax is right about Dschinghis Khan, they are cool, although very likely to get stuck in your head.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Wed May 07, 2008 8:22 am UTC

SDP makes some fantastic German rap. Hast du mal ein Problem is my favorite at the moment because of the elephant. For that matter, Fettes Brot are good, too.

Yelle makes some ridiculous French music. Fortunately, her videos live up to it. I was a little worried that the video would make some sense and cheapen the song, but it doesn't at all.

Mareva Galanter is French too, and a little less over the top absurd, but still silly. There's another French lady named Emily Loizeau who makes good music, but I can't find a good video on youtube.

Nom de Guerre and JUSTICE are French too, I guess, but one sings in English and the other doesn't use words much.

HaBanot Nechama sing in Hebrew sometimes

Mexican Institute of Sound are pretty great. I just looked up El Microfono and there's a monkey puppet in a fishtank. I have no idea why I didn't do this sooner. It is fantastic.

Lonely China Day is actually from China, and they're really amazing. I can't find the song I was hoping for, Sorrow, but this one is really good too. I can't think of any other band I've heard singing in Chinese. It's... just so good.

The only Japanese stuff I can think of off the top of my head right now is what I've picked up off anime, and most of that is either instrumental or not blowing my mind. The notable exception is The Pillows, who are all kinds of super fantastic.

Oh, and I guess I'll finish with Huun Huur Tu and their throat singing. I had a song, once, of someone (I think it might have been these guys, but I'm not sure) doing some throat singing, and then about three minutes in suddenly started doing the 'daisy, daisy, give your answer true' song. It was superb.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

G Mess

Postby G Mess » Wed May 07, 2008 9:33 am UTC

Belleruche, if you ever wanted to experience the result of sticking Blossom Deary on the business end of the aftermath of Pump Up The Volume (M|A|R|R|S).

Stratovarius, for going back to the age when metal/heavy rock was actually good (Uriah Heep, Dio, the likes are my "good"). And they're still active! That's a plus.

If you want something Folky, try Triakel. It's Swedish folk music! That does mean, yes, cool Swedish instruments (the cool of cool). Hoven Droven too (but they're more key harp + clipped guitars).

Next, Otyg, fronted by Vintersorg "No-Neck" "No-Surname". They're Uriah Heep, only sung in Swedish, with traditional instruments. So, not really Uriah Heep, at all.

If you can cope with English lyrics, there is really nothing quite like Delerium. Karma and Poem are my personal reccomendations as to albums.

Much the same can be said of Rasputina. Surely you've heard of Apocalyptica? Rasputina are to Apocalyptica what Johnny the Homicidal Maniac is to Batman.

Also, it's just stock-standard rock, but in Japanese: Sambomaster. And not weird rock, either. Just... rock. Really. Does this even count?

That's my personal pick from my surviving music folder. More later when I can access the motherload on my 160 GB hard disk (which is, yes, 160 GB of music, music, and more music).

Jax184

Postby Jax184 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:02 am UTC

You can't think of any good vocal anime music?? The last Anime I watched was Paprika, which has a few really good songs, both instrumental and vocal. And just about Anything Yoko Kanno worked on is going to be fantastic. Cowboy Bebop!

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed May 07, 2008 10:07 am UTC

There's a whole thread on the awesomeness that is Manu Chao

I also have Buena Vista Social Club on loop.

Some African music that has massive French influence...in that it's sung in French... would be Papa Wemba and Koffi Olomide. It's a little too energetically kinetically hectical for my liking, however. There's always the fall back of Ladysmith Black Mambazo, which can be listened to in almost any situation.

Twelve Girls Band
is a group of 13 (?) Chinese classically trained musicians who perform covers of famous Western songs using traditional Chinese instruments. It is, as Hu Jintao might say, fucken radical, dude.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed May 07, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

Try Rai music. It's in French and Arabic mostly. Khaled is generally considered the King of Rai and his album Kenza is quite good.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Wed May 07, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

CSS (Cansei de Ser Sexy) are Brazilian and awesome, but they sing in English.
Michel Gondry used to be in a band called Oui Oui. I can't find a link for you at work, but look up the video for "Junior et Sa Voix D'Or." Also directed by Gondry and sung in French is the video for La Tour de Pise" by Jean François Coen. That's pretty excellent.
For German hip-hop you could try the group Die Fantastischen Vier.
And the word you're looking for to describe Daddy Yankee is Reggaetón.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Wed May 07, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

My favorites?

You already said Rammstein, but Rammstein.
I always say In Extremo, but In Extremo.
You know who's also cool is Korpiklaani
хлэб и Воля

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed May 07, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

Most of the non-soundtrack/remix/video game music I have is not in English. I'm also the only one I know who organizes my albums and MP3s geographically. I'll take you through what I have artist-wise. I'm no serious music critic, though, so I'm afraid I can't be all that descriptive of how good each one of them is.

South America:
Buena Vista Social Club - I think you've already heard of them
Celia Cruz - If you never heard of Celia Cruz, please don't admit it.
Charly Garcia - The biggest name in Argentine rock. During the years of the military dictatorship, he was something like the Bob Dylan of Argentina (well, if Bob Dylan's fans risked imprisonment just by going to a concert).
Juanes - Colombian singer, perhaps one of the best currently around.
Maná - Mexican rock band. They're probably my favorite rock band. Their last two albums have kind of sounded the same. But, most of their songs are really good.
Ricardo Arjona - Guatemalan singer. Besides the fact that he's really good, his lyrics tend to be really intelligently-written.
Shakira - Her pre-English era is pretty good.

Japan:
Ayumi Hamasaki - the default J-Pop singer. She releases a new album about every year. She has some good songs in there, many start to sound the same, though.
BoA - my second-favorite J-Pop singer (she also does K-Pop and has albums out in both Korean and Japanese). All her songs are really catchy and addictive.
Dragon Ash - mix of J-Rock and hip-hop. A few of their songs have a more folksy sound to them.
King Giddra - really good J-Rap group (though they're no longer together). But, their high point is their lyrics, so I'm afraid you might not get a lot out of them if you don't understand Japanese, sorry.
L'arc-en-Ciel - my second-favorite J-Rock group. You might've heard of them through a few anime soundtracks (Full Metal Alchemist's Ready Steady Go, and GTO's Driver's High are theirs).
m-flo - my favorite Japanese hip-hop/R&B group. Their collaborations with other artists tends to be their best stuff)
Minmi - an incredibly great singer. She's classified as J-Reggae, though I'm not sure why. She has a really melodic and soulful voice. (She also did the ending theme for Samurai Champloo, "Shiki no Uta".)
Morning Musume - ...why the hell is this in my playlist?
Sharan Q - an older J-Pop band that not a lot have heard of. They're pretty good, but not the best band out there.
Siam Shade - another pretty good J-Rock band
Southern All-Stars - classic Japanese pop group. Folks have been listening to them for over 20 years now. Probably because they're really unique and have a sound very distinct from any other group you'll hear these days.
X-Japan - Was and always will be my favorite J-Rock band. Even after their breakup, the lead singer Yoshiki still has a cult-like following; Hide did right up 'til his death. Their sound is a bit harsher and louder than rock bands these days, maybe closer to metal if you're really finicky about genres.

Europe:
Sniper - French rap. They're the only French rap group I really listen to right now. But, I think the quality of their music, and the lyrics for some of their songs, is really good.

South Asia:
Habib - Bangladeshi pop singer. One of my coworkers introduced me to his music. He has a good mix of modern and traditional songs (well, sung in a modern style that is). He's kind of at the forefront of Bangla music becoming more popular.
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - My favorite singer of all time. He was the archetype of Pakistani Qawwali music, with an incredible, vibrant, and energetic voice. I sort of lose myself whenever I hear him.

Middle East:
Cheb Mami - Really good Rai singer. Particularly good is his Du Sud Au Nord album, with collaborations with Samira Said, Sting (yeah, that song), and several others.
Samira Said - Another really great Arab singer.

Other mentions:
Faye Wong (Cantonese)
Amr Diab (Egyptian)
Mustafa Sandal (Turkish)
Gipsy Kings (???)
La Ley (Mexican)
La Oreja de Van Gogh (Spanish)
Los Pericos (Brazilian)
Ruben Blades (Mexican)
Soda Stereo (Argentine)
Rhymester (Japanese - rap)
Shingo2 (Japanese/American - rap)
Hikaru Utada (Japanese/American)

KF
~Kizyr

Jack Harris

Postby Jack Harris » Thu May 08, 2008 12:36 am UTC

French yé-yé music is great, imo. Françoise Hardy is my favorite.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rQdyaeS1rwQ

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Thu May 08, 2008 1:18 am UTC

I will attempt to make myself clear

PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI
(better know as)
PFM PFM PFM PFM PFM PFM

Their first two albums: Storia di un Minuto and Per un Amico.

Also Serú Girán, by Serú Girán.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

enk

Postby enk » Thu May 08, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I really like the Danish band Nephew. They sing in a mixture of Danish and English and the music is synth rock of the awesome variety.

Nephew - Movieclip
Nephew - Worst/Best Case Scenario

And a live performance: Nephew - Bazooka

They've also done English versions of some of their songs (A wannabe Darth Vader is pretty cool). And they were remixed by Timbaland.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Zero

Postby Zero » Thu May 08, 2008 2:34 am UTC

Dead Combo, a Portuguese alternative duo. Tris hearing this.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu May 08, 2008 4:59 am UTC

Man, I used to have a playlist all of non-English music (Called "English - do you speak it??"). Too bad I lost it. /:

Electronic:
Hocico (Mexican)
Das Ich (German)
...actually, neither of those are really favourites - you pretty much already got mine.

Hip Hop/Rap (all my recommendations here are in French, but originate from various places in Africa):
I'AM
(And all their side projects - Akhenaton, Kheops, Freeman, etc)
MC Solaar
Passi (try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv3yDwwY ... re=related )

R&B
Assia (Moroccan)

Folk (Folk/Rock fusion-y):
Garmarna (Swedish) (try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNp-cb0J ... re=related )
Varttina (Finnish)
Hedningarna (Swedish)
Youssou N'Dour (Senegalese)

Punk:
Apulanta (Finnish) (try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI4Ad5Pta1g )

Metal:
Tanzwut (German) (try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT7z_ewK ... re=related )

Bhangra (no one here is not Indian, AFAIK, though RDB intersperses plenty of English):
RDB
Daljit Mattu
Panjabi MC
Malkit Singh (try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNlbzaXxkY )

God knows what the hell:
A lot of Cirque du Soleil is in all sorts of languages... fair warning, though, not all of them are real languages.
Corvus Corax (they're from Germany, but many songs are actually in other languages, including Latin and Romanian)
Azam Ali does a bunch of stuff in English, a bunch not... her voice is beautiful. She's now American, but from Iran, originally. (try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pwfkfui_Yc )

I second Khaled and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. <3

If you try anything, though - Garmarna is the stuff. Seriously awesome. Euchari, and Gamen are my favourite of theirs, but most of their stuff is very good. I'm probably just as enthused about a bunch of the French rap stuff, but I have a really difficult time persuading anyone to listen to it, so I've largely given up.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Thu May 08, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

91 bands later, and I think you guys have answered the call! :D

I've taken down the names of all the bands you mentioned onto my "Bands To Look Up" list, and now the hard part is actually finding them somewhere. I figure iTunes would be the best place to start.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I'm excited to see what I find! :)

Keep them coming!
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Thu May 08, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:CSS (Cansei de Ser Sexy) are Brazilian and awesome, but they sing in English.

Have you heard their new song? And, they don't always sing in english (the Brazilian version of their first album was mainly in... Brazilian, I guess?)

Maybe the Boredoms? :P
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Balalaika Gap

Postby Balalaika Gap » Thu May 08, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

There's a neat little jazz album called Gling-Gló by Björk & Trio Gudmundar Ingólfssonar. Most of the songs are sung in Icelandic (although a couple are in English). It's pretty fun!

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri May 09, 2008 12:40 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:Keep them coming!

It occurs to me that if you like Rammstein, you might like the German punk rock band Die Ärzte much better. I only heard maybe a few of their songs in passing, but thought they were pretty good. KF
~Kizyr

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Fri May 09, 2008 2:05 am UTC

Moenia (Mexican?)
Einsturzende Neubauten (multilingual)
Camille (French)
Kraftwerk (multilingual, but mostly German and English)
Melotron (German)
Sigur Ros (made up language)
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri May 09, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Envy - Japanese Screamo
Boris - Japanese Stoner/Metal/Noise/?
Alcest - French Shoegaze
Epheles - French Black Metal
Temnozor - Russian Folk Metal (the guy has an AWESOME voice...most of the time)
Drudkh - Ukranian Black Metal

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Fri May 09, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Sandry wrote:Garmarna (Swedish) (try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNp-cb0J ... re=related
That is amazing.
Dusty Chalk wrote:Sigur Ros (made up language)
Some of their stuff is actually in Icelandic as well.

Some that I listen to:
Аркона (Arkona) - Russian pagan metal
Korpiklaani - Finnish folk metal. Their earlier stuff is mostly in English, but their newer stuff is mostly Finnish
Mediæval Bæbes - Folk. They use a lot of different languages.
Otyg - Swedish folk metal
Finntroll - Swedish folk/black metal
Haggard - Neoclassical metal - English, but they throw in a lot of German, Italian and other languages once in a while.
Månegarm - Swedish folk metal
Moonsorrow - Finnish folk/black metal
Týr - Folk metal. They mostly sing in English, but there are a couple of songs in Faroese. Amazing.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

enk

Postby enk » Fri May 09, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

Oh yeah, Ikscheltaschel, a hiphop group with a made up language. They's pretty funny.

I also like the Norwegian folk metal band Lumsk.
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri May 09, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Wyclef Jean has some really cool songs in Creole on The Carnival. "Jaspora" "Yelé" "Carnival" and "Sang Fézi". Also try the German punk band Wizo, they're enjoyable.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

micco

Postby micco » Fri May 09, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

Qoppa wrote:Finntroll - Swedish folk/black metal

Finntroll is from Finland, but their lyrics are swedish.

Another grat finnish band is CMX. They sing in finnish.
Video for song "kauneus pettää" (Beauty deceives).
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Torwegia

Postby Torwegia » Fri May 09, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

Justice is french from what i uncerstand but im sure thats not what you are looking for...

I enjoy this guy http://www.last.fm/music/Familjen/+videos/2803487. Familjen is good times from sweden

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Fri May 09, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

Qoppa wrote:
Dusty Chalk wrote:Sigur Ros (made up language)
Some of their stuff is actually in Icelandic as well.
It was my understanding that 'Hopelandic' (the made up language) is based on Icelandic, but that what they sung didn't actually make sense if you actually understood Icelandic -- in the same way that Cocteau Twins doesn't make sense to English-speaking peoples.
I remain,

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Fri May 09, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Dusty Chalk wrote:It was my understanding that 'Hopelandic' (the made up language) is based on Icelandic, but that what they sung didn't actually make sense if you actually understood Icelandic -- in the same way that Cocteau Twins doesn't make sense to English-speaking peoples.
Only some of their stuff is in Hopelandic; a lot of it is actually in proper Icelandic. This wikipedia article has a (complete?) list of songs in Hopelandic. The rest are actually Icelandic.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri May 09, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

I'm glad that Icelandic is such an obscure language, because most of their lyrics really aren't very good once translated. They work best as enigmatic sounds.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Fri May 09, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

I find that most lyrics aren't very good, which is one reason I prefer listening to music in languages I don't understand.

Klye

Postby Klye » Sat May 10, 2008 3:55 am UTC

Die Fantastischen Vier is pretty good.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Tue May 13, 2008 12:06 am UTC

The motherland gets no love. I saw like, 2 Russian bands.

Try:
Leningrad: Russian ska/folk/amazingness.
Show Business (The bari sax player plays "Enter Sandman" into their song "Show Business". Pretty sweet.
Shnur

Mummi Trol: A very cool laid back band with a gender confused singer.
Utekai
Nevesta

And also, Japan. No that shitty J-rock, but:
THE PILLOWS. They're in my top five ever. Just search them, I couldn't pick just a few songs to show.
And also, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra. Amazing ska band.
And Tyr sings a lot in... Something. They think they're vikings.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Tue May 13, 2008 1:37 am UTC

SkaBassist wrote:The motherland gets no love. I saw like, 2 Russian bands.
Oh, yeah, Lube (or would it be spelled Lyube?). I love them.
I remain,

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Tue May 13, 2008 3:37 am UTC

Oh man, I forgot Gong!

Psychedelic french prog. They have one english member and some english lyrics, though.

RADIO GNOME
RADIO GNOME INVISIBLE.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

ZiGouNeT

Postby ZiGouNeT » Tue May 13, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

punish yourself : industrial punk
tamtrum : dark electro / industrial
magma : progressive rock
assassin : hip hop
gojira : metal
dagoba : metal
berurier noir : metal

all of these are french

Frello

Postby Frello » Tue May 13, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Like others, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Buena Vista Social Club (seen live).

Also, from Denmark, Afenginn. Very well-played music, and catchy as hell. If you follow the link, I highly recommend listening to Tattar humppa and Elgen kommer. They're the most accessible songs, though the whole album is great.

Can't think of more right now.

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Tue May 13, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

If you like German Music, I feel spoken to! :-)
Here are some of my German favourites:

Fettes Brot: Lass' die Finger von Emanuela
(Keep your hands of Emanuela)

Fettes Brot: An Tagen wie diesen
(On days like these)

Die Ärzte: Deine Schuld
(Your fault)

Die Ärzte: Unrockbar
(Unrockable)

Die Ärzte: Zu spät
(Too late)

If you want to have more, just PM me! :D
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Wed May 14, 2008 6:39 am UTC

Balalaika Gap wrote:There's a neat little jazz album called Gling-Gló by Björk & Trio Gudmundar Ingólfssonar. Most of the songs are sung in Icelandic (although a couple are in English). It's pretty fun!

YES! This is the only Bjork album I can listen to all the way through without getting bored & annoyed...

Return to “Music”