Greatest solo?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Torlek42

Greatest solo?

Postby Torlek42 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

I'm thinking along the lines of guitar solos but any kind will do...

Just listening to "Hallowed Be Thy Name" by Iron Maiden and holy crap...it blows me away every time. What other songs have amazing solos?

socynicalsohip

Re: Greatest solo?

Postby socynicalsohip » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

DJ Yoda is the master of the ones and twos.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

I thought the solo to Shadowplay was quite good. Actually, I like most of Joy Divisions' solos.

Having said that, isn't the one in Paranoid Android basically a modern classic? Particulairly the little one at the end.

(if you don't like last.fm... tough.)
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

Call me cheesy, but I love the solo in My Sharona (the full extended version).
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

Oh my, there are so many great solos. The ones that come off the top of my head are "Through the Fire and Flames," "Bat Out of Hell," and "More Than a Feeling," for guitars. "Why Does This Always Happen to Me" and "L.A. Woman" have great piano solos. "Light My Fire" for organ, definitely. I'll look through my library later and find other great solos, hopefully on a variety of instruments.

Edit: Almost forgot the saxophone! "Kokomo," "It's Still Rock & Roll to Me," "Born to Run."
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

arkady

Postby arkady » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

Brian May has some great solos: Bohemium Rhapsody and We Will Rock You.

As for Iron Maiden: Adrian Smith has some absolutely fantastic solos. Just listen to Paschendale (his is the 2nd solo - the one in C#m), The Evil That Men Do, The Wicker Man, No More Lies, Infinite Dreams or Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son.
I spent most of my money on fast cars, expensive guitars and women. The rest I just squandered.

e+1 = 0

*DISASTER AREA* Universe Tour. [Backstage pass]

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

Comfortably Numb (04:54). I love Gilmour's way with the guitar; he has such a great melodic tone. On An Island is lovely too.

It goes without saying that most of Jimi Hendrix's stuff is liquid awesome as well... As for other solos though.. i'll come back to you.

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:24 am UTC

Three Days by Jane's Addiction has a monster guitar solo. Must be heard.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 am UTC

I can't stand the solo from comfortably numb, it feels like a Brian May ripoff to me.

The solo from The Night Watch is fantastic

The soloes in Can Utility and the Coastliners, and The Knife by Genesis, Pantagruels' Nativity by Gentle Giant and The Prophet's Song by Queen are pretty awesome too.

As for Violin, the solo in Lark's Tongues in Aspic part II by King Crimson is BROOOTAL and the flute solo in I Talk to the Wind is magical/cosmic/rad/all of the above.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:00 am UTC

One I love that I don't hear a lot of credit for is the guitar solo at the end of Prince's "Purple Rain."

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 am UTC

The first two solos that come to mind are from Cake songs: guitar@~1:45 in I will survive and trumpet@~2:12 in Italian Leather Sofa.

I also really like this, although it turns into a duet at some point, it feels like a solo the whole time: Metallica doing an intro to Nothing Else Matters
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

freebird's full extended 45-minute solo.

also possibly Crazy Train. And highway star.
and killing in the name's solo. Cause morello is a beast.
uhhhh fuck.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:46 am UTC

Tired of Sex by Weezer.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:00 am UTC

Not to sound obvious but:

Stairway.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:30 am UTC

I prefer Fanta.

The two best semi-obscure-to-obscure-in-modern-music soloes I can think of are the saxophone in Baker's Street (the good one by Gerry Rafferty) and the bagpipe solo in Long Way to the Top.

Just thought I'd be different.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

malec2b

Postby malec2b » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

Soundchaser by Yes has a crazy/awesome guitar solo.
Rick Wakeman's Organ solo in Yes' Close to the Edge is also awesome.

Sine Nomen

Postby Sine Nomen » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

Dire Straits ending solo to Sultans of Swing.
Also the end of Hotel California by the Eagles is pretty sweet.

On piano, I've always been fond of Harry Connick Jr. solo in Safety is Just Danger, Out of Place (I think that's the name of the song.)

King Dude

Postby King Dude » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

There are so many great solos, for all kinds of music, I just can't pick one!
A recent favorite of mine is the solo in Knights of Cydonia by Muse. It just sounds cool :D

Klye

Postby Klye » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:08 am UTC

Soothsayer by Buckethead.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:11 am UTC

I hate the Eagles, but I love Hotel California, especially the ending solo.

I like to divide my favorite solos into two categories - technically difficult solos, and solos that are simply good. Both can be equally enjoyable, but the former gets an added bonus of thinking "How is he doing that with a guitar?"

Thus, a short list:

Technically impressive:
Van Halen - Eruption
Metallica - One
Buckethead - Jordan
Steve Vai - For the Love of God
Joe Satriani - Midnight
Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the Moon

Minimalistic and good:
The Eagles - Hotel California
The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
The Beatles - Let it Be

There's more, but I can't think of any now.

Sine Nomen

Postby Sine Nomen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

Has there ever been a more talented bass player than Victor Wooten? I find it unlikely.
Link 1 Solo
Link 2 Amazing Grace

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

The greatest improvisational solo ever played by a human being was Miles Davis on the song "So What" from the album "Kind of Blue" back in 1959. The margin between it and anything else is like mount everest to an ant hill. If you haven't heard it yet, you haven't lived as far as I am concerned.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Thu May 01, 2008 2:39 am UTC

Sine Nomen wrote:Dire Straits ending solo to Sultans of Swing.
Also the end of Hotel California by the Eagles is pretty sweet.

On piano, I've always been fond of Harry Connick Jr. solo in Safety is Just Danger, Out of Place (I think that's the name of the song.)

FUCK YES DIRE STRAITS.

I'm so glad I searched the topic before I posted that, because I think I found a friend for life. Honestly, never really listen to Dire Straits, but I just fucking LOVE this song. GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's just the sound of his guitar... it's... intoxicating. So clean, so perfect... so... just... you know what, just . listen

Let me put it this way. If I could have sex with a sound, it would be the sounds that Knopfler's guitar makes in that song, and maybe Norah Jones' voice.

The greatest improvisational solo ever played by a human being was Miles Davis on the song "So What" from the album "Kind of Blue" back in 1959. The margin between it and anything else is like mount everest to an ant hill. If you haven't heard it yet, you haven't lived as far as I am concerned.
and I will be sure to look that up right about now. Jazz solos just make me happy in ways guitars simply cant.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

red artifice

Postby red artifice » Thu May 01, 2008 8:42 am UTC

mosc wrote:The greatest improvisational solo ever played by a human being was Miles Davis on the song "So What" from the album "Kind of Blue" back in 1959. The margin between it and anything else is like mount everest to an ant hill. If you haven't heard it yet, you haven't lived as far as I am concerned.

SECONDED!
in fact, that whole album has +10 solo points

jazz solos, look also at John Coltrane, and anything by Oscar Peterson

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu May 01, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

Blubb3r3ng3l wrote:FUCK YES DIRE STRAITS..

That's exactly what I was going to say. Mark Knopfler has a way with the guitar that few others do. He isn't necessarily technically outstanding, and he doesn't show off, but it sounds so smooth and effortless.
Plus, Sultans of Swing just plain rocks.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu May 01, 2008 4:28 pm UTC

Pigs on the Wing [entirety], only on the 8-Track (looping) version of Pink Floyd's Animals. Part 1 & 2 are bridged with a repeat of the verse chords, and Snowy White playing a beautiful, beautiful guitar solo over the top.

Can anyone present the solo in tablature or musical form? I'd love to learn it, and have only worked out the opening few beats so far.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Fri May 02, 2008 12:25 am UTC

Sine Nomen wrote:Has there ever been a more talented bass player than Victor Wooten? I find it unlikely.
Link 1 Solo
Link 2 Amazing Grace

Not more talented, but I've always personally preferred Les Claypool's bass solos to Wooten's. Although I will concur that Wooten is the more talented bass player of the two, I think that Claypool's style is a lot more individual and fresh.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Fri May 02, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Electric Light Orchestra, "Kuiama" (long version) -- the violin solo

Blue Oyster Cult, "Flaming Telepaths" -- the synth solo

Jeff Beck on Moodswings' "Skinthieves" -- amazing guitar solo (link)

Also, the solo on Steely Dan's Peg is just perfect -- go straight to 4:10.
Last edited by Dusty Chalk on Thu May 08, 2008 2:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri May 02, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

Dark Ragnarok wrote:Tired of Sex by Weezer.
Thank you. I was going to mention my love of Rivers' guitar work on the first two albums. "Tired of Sex" "In the Garage" and "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here" all rock my socks. For 'modern' Weezer it goes to Maladroit track "Death & Destruction" or "Dope Nose."

I love a lot of solos that aren't typical "Crazy Train" good (or even atypical "Jordan" good), but I can't think of them now, as I'm having David Bowie Friday at work. I'll go home, listen to some Smashing Pumpkins and get back to you.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri May 02, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

Sine Nomen wrote:Has there ever been a more talented bass player than Victor Wooten? I find it unlikely.
Link 1 Solo
Link 2 Amazing Grace

If God almighty appeared and picked up an electric bass, I would be surprised if he was any better.

I was at a concert where he played one even better than these. It was free form improv and he just kept de-tuning the bass note by note (how the hell he keeps straight what notes are where when constantly adjusting the strings is beyond meere mortal understanding) and eventually it just became slap and only slap (total de-pitch) to which it was one of the most amazing demonstrations of slap bass (totally percussive, no pitch really) that I have ever heard. Of course, that was not all. He then did the entire thing in reverse tuning up has he went getting progressively more melodic and faster and faster until he stops. Sits. And proceeds to play amazing grace on harmonics (similar to the one you posted). The musicality required to TUNE the thing from absolute slack to the point where HARMONICS are perfectly in tune ALL while playing the fastest runs on a bass possible... blew my fucking mind.

Seriously there is no finer electric bass player in history than Victor FUCKING Wooten.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

a386

Postby a386 » Fri May 02, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:
Dark Ragnarok wrote:Tired of Sex by Weezer.
Thank you. I was going to mention my love of Rivers' guitar work on the first two albums. "Tired of Sex" "In the Garage" and "The World Has Turned and Left Me Here" all rock my socks. For 'modern' Weezer it goes to Maladroit track "Death & Destruction" or "Dope Nose."

I love a lot of solos that aren't typical "Crazy Train" good (or even atypical "Jordan" good), but I can't think of them now, as I'm having David Bowie Friday at work. I'll go home, listen to some Smashing Pumpkins and get back to you.

weezer has some really great guitar work throughout, and i really actually like the harmonica solo in "my name is jonas"
but alll the guitar breaks on the green album were just the melodies of the songs played on guitar! cmon rivers.

im not a huge ska fan but there's one solo at the end of reel big fish's cover of Hotel California that i particularly like. also, i've got to be that guy right now and mention coltrane on giant steps. geddy lee in rush's YYZ is up there. or neil pert for that matter nobody's mentioned. not alot of drummers in here. art blakey on night in tunisia with the jazz messengers. /meandering

Kookie

Postby Kookie » Sat May 03, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

So much great soli... Let's see.

Technically huge, but also thrilling or crazy : Angra's "Angels And Demons", Dream Theater's "Home" and "Fatal Tragedy", Vai's "Fire Garden Suite" (also for piano), Deep Purple's "Lazy" and "Fireball"...

Lots of emotion : Gilmour's soli with Pink Floyd, some of The Edge's soli with U2 (live, like "Mysterious Ways" or "The Fly"...)

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Sun May 04, 2008 3:33 am UTC

My favorite is the solo from "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" by Between the Buried and Me.

Solo

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Sun May 04, 2008 3:42 am UTC

Since I'm listening to it right now, the trumpet solo from An American Elegy by Frank Ticheli. Starts at about 7:12.

timt

Postby timt » Mon May 05, 2008 4:51 am UTC

No specific songs but brain may, shawn lane and randy roads do it for me.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Mon May 05, 2008 11:53 am UTC

Also this:

*Fast* Flight of the Bumblebee on acoustic (BTW he's blind)

and this:

My Guitar Gently Weeps on Ukelele Simply Beautiful

Wardial3r

Postby Wardial3r » Mon May 05, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

Not anywhere near the greatest, but
Rise Against - Like the angel.
is probably my favorite solo ever
17/M/CA

Zing Pop.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon May 05, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

Shizo wrote:My favorite is the solo from "Selkies: The Endless Obsession" by Between the Buried and Me.

Solo

The rest of their songs are fairly unremarkable, but I think that solo alone redeems the entire album.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Mon May 05, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Oh man, how did I forget the solo to "Santeria" by Sublime? It's the sort of solo I turn up every time.

As for drums, Brain's solo on the live version of "Tommy the Cat" from Primus' Rhinoplasty EP is crazy gorgeous.
On bass, the solo from "Maxwell Murder" by Rancid was unlike anything I'd heard to that point.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue May 06, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

Brighton Rock. Just the sound of it is bloody amazing.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Return to “Music”