Hip-Hop and Rap

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Hip-Hop and Rap

Postby Felstaff » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:21 am UTC

PhantomReality wrote:Dude I'm sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about if you think the "ghettos" aren't as bad as they seem. I'll proceed to trash your post hardcore after I get out of class. Be prepared.

Read the brackets (more specifically; the words in between them) carefully. No point trashing a post that in no way alludes to saying ghettoes "aren't as bad as they seem". Anyway, the description of a ghetto in today's parlance compared with a ghetto in a 1930s context is not particularly relevant to the point I was making. Which is why it was in brackets. (Unicorns have the sweetest giggles.) See? People should gloss over words in brackets.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

RaysOfDarkMatter

Postby RaysOfDarkMatter » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:04 am UTC

I would just like to say that, coming into this, I had the general opinion of 1337geek. I've found that the only rap/hip-hop I can tolerate is the kind that has some sort of instrument in it... I just can't bring myself to listen to an entire track of drum machines. But throw in even a simple violin backing, or something with strings (guitar?) and I can at least give it a shot.

My room mate and I recently got into a 'fight' over my rap intolerance. So, I'm going to give these artists a try, and hope that I can find something that I really, really end up liking. I listen to One Republic, I don't know what category that falls into, though. That's the closest I come outside of my 9th grade 'I love Eminem' phase. ^_^ I guess I just never gave rap a chance before. And I'm trying to be more tolerant and open-minded, I swear! I can usually appreciate well written lyrics, though. She introduced me to Sage Francis earlier this year and I'm pretty impressed by a few of his songs (I love Escape Artist).

So, really, any suggestions of sort of, rap/hip-hop that has a band involved, or at least some instrument other than just a drum machine, would be greatly appreciated. I know a few were mentioned earlier, and I'm definitely checking those out...

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:44 am UTC

I'll also recommend K'naan. I forgot to mention him in my post.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Mclaren

Postby Mclaren » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:31 am UTC

I agree with most of the topic, but I see Rap and Hip-hop being divided into two categories, when they really shouldn't be. Rap is just the MCing part, you know, the verses and wordplay. Hip-hop is a combination of a beat and a rap (aka a Hip-hop song). At least, if I recall correctly. Well, I'm not even sure what you guys consider is Rap and Hip-hop, it would be nice to have that clarified =/

Anyway, on the subject of what I personally like, I listen to a lot of 90s albums that are considered classics. I am a big Wu-Tang fan (love 36 chambers) and I listen to two of the solo albums put out by their members: Liquid Swords by GZA/Genius and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon (both I consider classics).

It is interesting to note the difference between these two albums. Liquid Swords definitely has its share of amazing beats (being produced by RZA and all) but the main focus is GZA's lyricism and wordplay. On the other hand, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx is more of a good SOUNDING record; I believe the RZA's production shines brightly on this album, and for good reason; the beats ROCK. Ghostface Killah is one of the most interesting rappers I've heard lyrically, and he definitely outshines Raekwon on his own godamned CD. (For those of you who don't know he's featured on 14 of the 17 tracks). Raekwon is eh, I don't know what he's talking about half of the time but whatever hehe.

Other than that I love Nas's Illmatic, Biggie's Ready to Die, Ghostface's Supreme Clientele, Jay-Z's Reasonable Doubt, Mobb Deep's The Infamous, and A Tribe Called Quest's The Low End Theory.

I've also started listening to Def Jux's music; so far it sounds so unique and interesting that I definitely need to listen to more. Right now I'm checking El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead, which is supposed to be amazing. I hope it is.

Ended

Postby Ended » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:27 am UTC

RaysOfDarkMatter wrote:So, really, any suggestions of sort of, rap/hip-hop that has a band involved, or at least some instrument other than just a drum machine, would be greatly appreciated.

Concrete Schoolyard by Jurassic 5, from their Jurassic 5 EP. Seriously awesome group, and generally a lot more melodic than most hip-hop I've heard.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

Ended wrote:
RaysOfDarkMatter wrote:So, really, any suggestions of sort of, rap/hip-hop that has a band involved, or at least some instrument other than just a drum machine, would be greatly appreciated.

Concrete Schoolyard by Jurassic 5, from their Jurassic 5 EP. Seriously awesome group, and generally a lot more melodic than most hip-hop I've heard.

Jurassic 5's The Roots album Do You Want More?!!!??! is pure "Hip-Hop Jazz" (as they put it, anyway). It's a really good listen.

EDIT: Fix'd for brain fart
Last edited by Mathmagic on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:
Ended wrote:

Jurassic 5's album Do You Want More?!!!??! is pure "Hip-Hop Jazz" (as they put it, anyway). It's a really good listen.

Erm, isnt that album by The Roots? They have a full band though, and they're great - though I prefer the albums Phrenology and The Tipping Point.

I mentioned some other hip hop groups with actual bands in another of my posts.. one I didn't mention though, if they count, is The Go! Team - who are fucking awesome.

Cai

Postby Cai » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12166

The search function is your friend.

EDIT: Oh, here's some content:

MF Doom (best MC that ever lived, also goes by Victor Vaughn and King Geedorah), Madlib, Madvillian, Dangerdoom (MF Doom and Dangermouse), J Dilla (RIP), Jaylib, Mos Def, Common, Kanye West, Talib Kwali, Dead Prez, Percee P, Wildchild, Ghostface Killah, A Tribe Called Quest, Diverse.

Instrumental hiphop: Prefuse73, Ammoncontact, Dabrye, Lukid, Elliot Lipp, Marc Mac, Rednose Distrikt, DJ Spinna, Caural.

qft. anything spit by doom or produced by madlib is probably going to be the greatest thing ever.
Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

Ended wrote:

Seconded J5 are the shit (I like the track off the new album with Dave Matthews), but for (note the inverted commas) "Instrumental" hip hop the Beastie boys are probably slightly more approachable for the sun starved white boy hoping to enter the hip-hop arena. Check out the live video version of three MCs and one DJ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT8YUB1Ym0A) for a track with nothing other than scratching and vocals performed live. For something else by the Beasties with abit more aural substance look no further than Shake your Rump (my personal favourite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS0Ew3qKql8&feature=related).

Looking elsewhere people under the stairs are classic "crate diggers" borrowing sounds from the all sorts of places (check out acid raindrops http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhz4z_ztAw). I think sampling is a very difficult science; It's all too easy make your next hit single off the back of a classic tune [Kanye is a good example] rather than making something original. I know many people have strong opinions on the subject but I view competent use of a sampler and an 808 as being equally [if not more] skilled than selecting 4 chords from a given scale and thrashing out you're next chart busting yet ironically "alternative" anthem [before anyone gets all emo I do listen to and enjoy music from all genres].
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:
mathmagic wrote:
Ended wrote:

Jurassic 5's album Do You Want More?!!!??! is pure "Hip-Hop Jazz" (as they put it, anyway). It's a really good listen.

Erm, isnt that album by The Roots? They have a full band though, and they're great - though I prefer the albums Phrenology and The Tipping Point.

Wow. That's embarrassing. Brain fart much?

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:19 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
PhantomReality wrote:Dude I'm sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about if you think the "ghettos" aren't as bad as they seem. I'll proceed to trash your post hardcore after I get out of class. Be prepared.

Read the brackets (more specifically; the words in between them) carefully. No point trashing a post that in no way alludes to saying ghettoes "aren't as bad as they seem". Anyway, the description of a ghetto in today's parlance compared with a ghetto in a 1930s context is not particularly relevant to the point I was making. Which is why it was in brackets. (Unicorns have the sweetest giggles.) See? People should gloss over words in brackets.

I'd agree that the "hood" or inner city housing projects and whatnot are not as bad as 1930's ghettos. But you gotta understand how shitty life can be for somebody born into that life man. Being held down by a ton of racist laws, confined to an area of your city where the only jobs you can get keep you locked in a dangerous sick world full of crime. That's the beautiful thing about hip-hop man, it's the artistic expression out of the worst of the worst. And it's making the world aware of the shit that goes on there. I dunno It's been a while since my original intent to trash you...and i totally forget what i was gunna say. You get off easy...but fear my nonsensical, scathing, pseudo-intellectual trashing rants for future reference
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 am UTC

PhantomReality wrote:I'd agree that the "hood" or inner city housing projects and whatnot are not as bad as 1930's ghettos. But you gotta understand how shitty life can be for somebody born into that life man. Being held down by a ton of racist laws, confined to an area of your city where the only jobs you can get keep you locked in a dangerous sick world full of crime. That's the beautiful thing about hip-hop man, it's the artistic expression out of the worst of the worst. And it's making the world aware of the shit that goes on there. I dunno It's been a while since my original intent to trash you...and i totally forget what i was gunna say. You get off easy...but fear my nonsensical, scathing, pseudo-intellectual trashing rants for future reference

He wasn't saying anything about how "good" or "bad" inner city life is. What I got from his post was that most popular American rap and hip-hop artists make plenty of money and no longer live in said hood, whereas most UK artists are still poor.

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:31 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Point is, I'd like to hear what exposure and tastes the rest of the XKCD boards have had to what is actually a solid, well-established genre of music that most people still, for some reason, consider the sole domain of impoverished American blacks and hormone-charged high-school kids.

Oh? I had always associated modern hip hop with second or third generation Mexican immigrants...

Then again, I wouldn't know all that much. I don't actually own any hip hop or rap, just things with a bit of "hip hop and rap influence" (e.g., Balkan Beat Box, Ozomatli, acid jazz, etc.)

Perhaps I'm only familiar with the Mexican varieties because I've only ever lived in California and Arizona.
Last edited by Namaps on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:47 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
PhantomReality wrote:I'd agree that the "hood" or inner city housing projects and whatnot are not as bad as 1930's ghettos. But you gotta understand how shitty life can be for somebody born into that life man. Being held down by a ton of racist laws, confined to an area of your city where the only jobs you can get keep you locked in a dangerous sick world full of crime. That's the beautiful thing about hip-hop man, it's the artistic expression out of the worst of the worst. And it's making the world aware of the shit that goes on there. I dunno It's been a while since my original intent to trash you...and i totally forget what i was gunna say. You get off easy...but fear my nonsensical, scathing, pseudo-intellectual trashing rants for future reference

He wasn't saying anything about how "good" or "bad" inner city life is. What I got from his post was that most popular American rap and hip-hop artists make plenty of money and no longer live in said hood, whereas most UK artists are still poor.

My God, man. It's taken you 1 sentence to say what takes me a good few paragraphs. I need to start running my posts by you before posting them. They could do with cutting about 95% of the chaff out of them. Even with this post I'm writing now, this last sentence is totally unnecessary.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:31 am UTC

I'm a huge metal fan, but I can't help but love some old school rap, such as MC Hammer ("you can't touch this") and Sir Mixalot (I like big butts and cannot lie).

Now, there are a select few newer rap songs I like, such as Mims- This is why I'm hot, and Lil Jon-Get Low. Those songs, while lyrically bad, stick in your head, and I love to sing them to annoy my friends. Heh...This is why, this is why, this why i'm hot...you ain't cuz you not...

get low get low get low...to the window...to the wow...sweat dripped down my balls...lmfao! The lyrics are so bad, but the beat!! haha
Live with passion. Die with passion.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:39 am UTC

I like The Roots and Grandmaster Flash....

And a bunch of trip-hop. But I don't think that trip-hop counts.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:45 am UTC

Recent additions to my hip hop collection include the [re]discovery of TRES records [run by the geezer from People Under the Stairs] and by connection a group called Giant Panda. Giant Panda have some very slick production values and the ryhmes to match [one of the emcees is Japanese]. Whole heartedly reccomended.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

swik

Postby swik » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

I got into hip hop mainly because I always was way more concerned with the lyrics than the actual music. Which is essentially blasphemy to most people I know. I can't listen to a song if I don't like the lyrics. GOOD rap has lyrics that took thought and skill to come up with and are put to a great beat. My favorite artist is Sage Francis. I also like Talib Kweli (absolutely love Hostile Gospel) and some of Jay-Z's stuff. Jay-Z has a lot more mainstream sounding songs that aren't very good.

The song Drop Base by Safe Francis, featuring Vocab, is pretty good if you don't like rap, it criticizes parts of the genre. Slow Down Ghandi is pretty interesting, like punk rap.

The Next Testament has one of my favorite openings to a song ever.
"Find God exclaimed the man who lost everything he owned
Looking stoned I groaned back FIND A JOB"

The references to drug use in some of his songs is funny because he's a straight edger :B.

For a nerd like me Sage Francis' songs are perfect, there's lots of insecurities, self-doubt, and awareness of self-contradiction but there's also the pride in what's been accomplished and small hints of the arrogance everyone has at some level, that goes hand and hand with the self-promotion in rap.

I did a quick search and didn't see this posted but considering this is xkcd this seemed perfect, though it's kind of old.
http://www.aclevercookie.com/rap-lyrics ... nd-graphs/

Obviously it's rap lyrics explained graphically, awesome.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:55 am UTC

does anyone else find solja boy to be as hilarious as me? i mean in a good way here. i think he's up to something to take the seriousness out of popular rap music.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

swik

Postby swik » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:42 am UTC

When I first heard the song, before it spread to ridiculous levels everywhere, I laughed my ass off. I shared it with basically everyone I knew and we all laughed.

My first reaction was, "...wait, what?!? Was that a gratuitous 'Robocop' thrown in there? IT WAS IT WAS! What the hell, that's awesome."

Then they started playing the song everywhere and it got scary.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

I found the NigerBoy video to be curiously hilarious. Only because I was subjected to a Zairan-Nigerian engagement party, and both nationalities tried to overpower the dance-floor with their respective dances. And many of these people were old, real proper toothless-with-grandchildren old. Add in some oversized hats and garish mismatched floral-print dresses, and you've got a riot on the dance-floor.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I found the NigerBoy video to be curiously hilarious. Only because I was subjected to a Zairan-Nigerian engagement party, and both nationalities tried to overpower the dance-floor with their respective dances. And many of these people were old, real proper toothless-with-grandchildren old. Add in some oversized hats and garish mismatched floral-print dresses, and you've got a riot on the dance-floor.

That's genius! And what a great engagement party, I'm a lil bit jealous you got to experience that. :D

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:does anyone else find solja boy to be as hilarious as me? i mean in a good way here. i think he's up to something to take the seriousness out of popular rap music.

Yes, I find it incredibly hilarious.

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

I love Eydea/Abilities, Slug/Atmosphere, etc.

For the people here with a negative opinion of hip-hop/rap (as far as I can tell, the latter is a part of the former, so I don't tend to differentiate) I'd say to listen to Zion I. I wish that was the first rap I had gotten into. They actually acknowledge the stereotypes of the genre while addressing the fact of the matter when it comes to ghettos.

Zion I's Temperature wrote:Yeah, yeah, hey
The cityscape where I stay is gettin hot now
unemployment is high and buildings is gettin chopped down
gold teeth populating the block
slurring slang they ignite on the lookout for cops
make the shots ring out like the liberty bell
no escape from the heat that's getting hotter than hell
like the oven's on broil, with blood stains in the soil
pimped on in the colors of crown royal
and little sister's got a baby on hip
and her momma never home so the cycle is sick
young ballers on the court wanna play in the league
but got knocked in the spot for a quarter of weed
it's getting hot in here, baby leave on your clothes
much more to living life than emulating them hoes
I try to speak truth in the form of my flows
but the temperature is rising it's harder to grow, fo' sho'

How awesome is that?

Also, someone should have mentioned Busdriver. He's not just hip-hop, he considers himself abstract hip-hop. He talks more about love, life, and philosophy than gangs, ghettos, and capping people.

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

Ounds like a level group o' heads here.

New Akrobatik album came out, crazy good stuff.

I have to roll with more abstract rap than anything else (francis, aesop, lif, atmosphere, doom etc.)
To exist is to resist.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

i must announce that lil wayne is my new favorite mainstream rap star. he's really good.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:07 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:In the UK, [...] the music is more grimy.

Was that choice of word intentional?

Wikipedia wrote:Grime is a sub-genre of urban music which first emerged in London in the early 2000s, primarily a development of UK garage, drum and bass, and hip hop.

Well, while we're on the topic, Grime is pretty cool - the beats aren't really 'funky' in the way that hiphop beats are, they're more energetic and propulsive, and the rapping is much more aggressive (in tempo, not necessarily in subject matter). It's pretty awesome seeing grime live, due to the huge amount of energy that grime MCs bring to the dance. Wiley, Dizzee Rascal and Skepta are good examples of grime MCs.

Wiley - Bow E3

robinberghuys

Postby robinberghuys » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:27 am UTC

First of all: none of you have mentioned De La Soul. I am appalled. Also: the Pharcyde.

And I'd like to make a recommendation: Pete Philly and Perquisite. I guess they are best described as lab technicians, because they mix up all sorts of shizzle musically, are thoughtful in the lyrics department and are white.

Here is a link to one of their videos, called Grateful, which I think is awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPUsJBQA6jY

Jack.H

Postby Jack.H » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:44 am UTC

I like a lot of KRS-One's work, although he tends to come off as pretentious at times. A bit of a warning, though, he is quite the leftist (as far as the over-generalized American political scale works out) so you'll have to sort of be on board with a lot of his stuff.
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:gangsta rap like Public Enemy

huh?

i don't listen to that much hip hop/rap since every time i download a rap album i feel like i'm blindly stumbling around in a genre i'll never fully appreciate... i've listened to, in no particular order, deltron, clouddead, scroobius pip, nwa, wu tang clan (pretty much exclusively their first album), kanye west occasionally, jay-z, busta rhymes occasionally, epmd occasionally, public enemy occasionally, immortal technique occasionally, biggie, dead prez, mos def, talib kweli, black star obviously,

i'm probably leaving something out, oh well.

surprised it hasn't come up yet, but nerdcore's pretty lame. mc frontalot's alright sometimes, stuff like MC Hawking is pretty amusing, but most of the rest of what i've heard has been really bad. i don't consider mf doom nerdcore by the way

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:19 am UTC

Nerdcore exists so kids who know nothing about hip-hop/rap can say "this is cool, unlike all other rap."

I saw Grand Buffet (who don't call themselves nerdcore but have a similar act and appeal) open for Of Montreal and they were positively dreadful. And the audience soaked it up. I could almost imagine their smug pitchfork-loving faces saying "rap sucks, but they were pretty cool" and adding a check-mark to their "genres I can tolerate" chart. I just wanted to scream "it's all been done before, and done better, by artists you've off-handedly labeled as crap without ever even listening to! This isn't original, this isn't different, this isn't transcending the genre, the only reason you think it's special or different is because it's the only thing resembling real rap you've ever listened to!"

Then Of Montreal came on stage and I was happy again.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:17 am UTC

i wikipedia's "grand buffet" just now and apparently they sold a cd at shows of them just listening to stand up comedians and making fun of them. hmm.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:i don't listen to that much hip hop/rap since every time i download a rap album i feel like i'm blindly stumbling around in a genre i'll never fully appreciate... i've listened to, in no particular order, deltron, clouddead, scroobius pip, nwa, wu tang clan (pretty much exclusively their first album), kanye west occasionally, jay-z, busta rhymes occasionally, epmd occasionally, public enemy occasionally, immortal technique occasionally, biggie, dead prez, mos def, talib kweli, black star obviously,

That's a pretty decent list, and don't worry about "fully" appreciating it, just enjoy it if you do, or ignore it if you don't.

i don't consider mf doom nerdcore by the way

Absolutely not! :)

katieshrike

Postby katieshrike » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

K-os, Lyrics Born, Lateef the Truth Speaker, Aesop Rock, Maroons.

Track 3 off Ambush by Maroons is one of the best political hip-hop songs ever written, I think.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:53 am UTC

Okay, so I actually found a hip-hop/rap song I like. It's a mash-up by some guy named Akira the Don of his own song "Back in the Day" overlayed with a couple Jim Steinman songs. Go ahead, call me lame, but it's catchy. Plus it mentions Sonic the Hedgehog!

http://jimsteinman.blogspot.com/2006/07 ... inman.html
http://media.jimsteinman.com/audio/BackInTheday.mp3
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:18 am UTC

There's this guy called Marshall Mathers. I think he's pretty big on the rap scene, although I heard he's more into producing nowadays.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:48 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I could almost imagine their smug pitchfork-loving faces saying "rap sucks, but they were pretty cool" and adding a check-mark to their "genres I can tolerate" chart.

i find this funny because pitchforkmedia constantly praises mainstream rap and hiphop

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:There's this guy called Marshall Mathers. I think he's pretty big on the rap scene, although I heard he's more into producing nowadays.

Bitch, please, you must have a mental disease. Assume the position, and get back down on your knees.

I'm actually getting into rapping now myself, but I don't have a good way to generate beats. Anyone know a good open-source app, preferably one I can get for OS X, that can help with that?

I'm checking out my old Garage Band copy when I get back to school.

Yeah, XKCD is the only place this query could ever come up.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:48 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:
TheAmazingRando wrote:I could almost imagine their smug pitchfork-loving faces saying "rap sucks, but they were pretty cool" and adding a check-mark to their "genres I can tolerate" chart.

i find this funny because pitchforkmedia constantly praises mainstream rap and hiphop

When I used to be a more faithful reader of pitchfork, I would look at their reviews for Kanye West and 50 Cent and think "hm? really? must be a different reviewer" and never paid them any attention. I don't think that attitude is too uncommon, I know my friends were the same way.

shortbus

Postby shortbus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

My exposure to rap and hip-hop is pretty limited, but I've started to explore it a bit more lately. I've listened to some NWA, Wu Tang Clan and a bunch of stuff like that, but I really like Nujabes(he does a lot of the soundtrack for the anime Samurai Champloo). He's got a really laid back style with some good jazz influence.

psykx

Postby psykx » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote: Anyone know a good open-source app, preferably one I can get for OS X, that can help with that?

I'm checking out my old Garage Band copy when I get back to school.

Yeah, XKCD is the only place this query could ever come up.

rosegarden, jackd, ardour2, audacity, amSynth and terminatorX although ardour2 is probably what your looking for and you probably want to use all the real time Linux kernel options.

On topic:
phi-life cypher is practically win in hip-hop form, jedi mind tricks is a bit angry but other wise very worth a listen and foreign beggars especially the asylum speaker album is also amazing, louis logic is also pretty good. Stuff I like but has already been mentioned includes MF doom, madvillian, madlib, (see what I did there?:)) Talib Kwali etc...

also I'm not particularly proud of it but I love Big L and D.I.T.C
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

Return to “Music”