Instrumental rock

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kallahan11

Re: Instrumental rock

Postby Kallahan11 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:39 am UTC

I'm a huge fan of instrumental rock, and in my opinion Joe Satriani is the best. He has a very broad musical range from a hyper boogie like Big Bad Moon to a song like midnight (youtube 'em).
I like Steve Vie and Buckethead a lot too, I went crazy for Petrucci when I got into Dream Theatre but he kinda fell out of my favor for no particular reason. Also I have no idea why I like Micheal Angelo Batio. But I do, and I have his guitar instructional vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnOx4E-G1g

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:38 am UTC

Kallahan11 wrote:Also I have no idea why I like Micheal Angelo Batio. But I do, and I have his guitar instructional vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnOx4E-G1g

That guy's hair makes me want to stab my eyes out. He's a pretty good guitar player nonetheless.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

Possibly my favourite album of all time...

Metanoia by Porcupine Tree. A bunch of instrumental improv the band did during the recording of one of their other albums. I just absolutely -love- the sound they have throughout it. Pure genius.

malec2b

Postby malec2b » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:49 am UTC

The album Emerson, Lake and Palmer, by Emerson, Lake and Palmer has some good instrumentals (The Barbarian, The Three Fates, Tank).

drock

Postby drock » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

I love Russian Circles, 65daysofstatic and tera melos when it comes to American bands, but I'm really into more of the Japanese math/instrumental/postrock/whatever atm.

Anyone ever hear of TOE, te', or LITE?

They're all really good.

Check these out.

LITE - Ghost Dance
te' - 愛も信仰も同じように日々のささやかな勤行でのみ維持される
TOE - Velvet Blanc
"Hey, they're trying to learn for free! Get em!" - Simpsons

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

bug wrote:What's with that term, "math rock"? There's usually nothing math-related about it.

It's not because of the lyrics, it's because of the way they write their time signatures and they way they syncopate stuff. I guess it's called math rock because it had a tendency to be more difficult than other styles of music.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

drock

Postby drock » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:
bug wrote:What's with that term, "math rock"? There's usually nothing math-related about it.

It's not because of the lyrics, it's because of the way they write their time signatures and they way they syncopate stuff. I guess it's called math rock because it had a tendency to be more difficult than other styles of music.

Yep.

"Math rock is a rhythmically complex, guitar-based style of experimental rock music that emerged in the late 1980s. It is characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), angular melodies, and dissonant chords."
Because wikipedia is always right.
"Hey, they're trying to learn for free! Get em!" - Simpsons

Cai

Postby Cai » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Dreamers never live, only dream of it.
first.am

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

The recommendation I have is Millions Now Living Will Never Die, by Tortoise. I'm yet to check out their other albums, but that one is excellent, with an interesting mix of jazz, krautrock and stuff.

And there's always Platinum, The Lake and Music from the Balcony, by Mike Oldfield. Crises has a few vocal bits, but it's one of his best pieces in my opinion.

codyhotel

Postby codyhotel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:37 am UTC

PhantomReality wrote:Dude instrumental rock is the shit, here's a list of my favorites:

Joe Satriani: Fucking brilliant, an amazing guitarists whose melodies blow me away. Not as technically fast as some other guitarists but anybody who has listened to him for a while can tell that he's taught and influenced a lot guitarists. "His most notable California students included Kirk Hammett (Metallica), David Bryson (Counting Crows), Kevin Cadogan (Third Eye Blind), Larry LaLonde (Primus, Possessed), Alex Skolnick (Testament), Rick Hunolt (Exodus), Phil Kettner (Lääz Rockit) and Charlie Hunter." (from wikipedia). My favorite contemporary guitarist, saw him live with G3.

Steve Vai: Pretty cool, but i'm not a big fan I like satch's work better. His band is kinda teetotaler too.

John Petrucci: Fastest guitarist alive, and his album "Suspended Animation" Kicks ass. Saw him live too with the G3.

Yngwie Malmsteen: Meh i'm not a big fan, he's too metalish for me but he can play damned fast. Cool guitar too. Scaloped frets.

Paul Gilbert: A favorite of mine. Extremely smooth classical influenced licks with a kickass tone make him one of my favorites. His work with Racer X and Mr big, are both awesome, though I prefer Racer X. Saw him live too at the G3.

Shawn Lane: Undoubtedly the fastest guitarist to ever live, his material is extremely difficult to find but youtube it up.

Buckethead: Very metalish and very weird but fucking amazing. Was instructed by Paul Gilbert.

Eric Johnson: Quite good, known really well for "Cliffs of Dover" but he has a lot of other material out there.

Guthrie Govan: Whacky, a recent discovery of mine who i don't know much about but pretty cool none the less.

I'd check out all of those names on youtube. They're all fantastic artists. I looove this kind of music.

Um, Paul Gilbert is way faster then either John Petrucci or Shawn Lane, in fact Petrucci the slowest player you've listed aside from Eric Johnson and Guthrie Govan

Fastest Guitarist EVAR = MICHAEL ANGELO BATIO
he is ambidextrous, he plays left handed faster then anyone you've listed and plays right handed faster then that. he can play underhand or over hand, he has a fucking guitar shaped like an X for christ sakes.

Also, Greatest Guitarist to Ever walk this Earth is Jason Becker. There is nothing I can say to describe him, just you-tube him playing Yngwie Malmsteen's "Black Star" At his high school talent show when he was 16. playing it BETTER THEN YNGWIE!!

EDIT: also, I forgot to say. If you ever call Steve Vai's band teetotaler again I will hunt you down myself. His band is the most talented group of musicians to ever play together in the history of rock. his third guitarist can play the shit out of 92% of lead guitarists. They line up alongside each other in concerts an pick their own instrument while fretting each other's. it is amazing. Or you could report it for breaking Music Rule #1, as when I change it it stops making sense. Like now. - ST

and Steve Vai is so egotistical on stage just to make an ass of himself for fun. He has industrial fans blowing onto the stage so that his hair is always blowing in the wind when he walks around playing.
Last edited by codyhotel on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Philwelch wrote:Would a prostitution enthusiast be a buy-sexual?

...sorry.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:41 am UTC

John McLaughlin
Carlos Santana
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

Andioje

Instrumental Rock

Postby Andioje » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:53 am UTC

In the past couple years I've started to become a fan of Instrumental Rock, mostly due to the fact that my guitar instructor is a huge fan of it and uses it for instruction a lot due to its complexity and level of skill required.

For those who don't know, Instrumental Rock is basically rock music but rather than having any vocals, the melody is played by an instrument, most popularly the electric guitar. Well-known instrumental rock musicians include Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, Paul Gilbert, and Eric Johnson. Instrumental Rock is (in my experience) usually very complex, probably due to the fact that most people get bored unless they're listening to lyrics. In order to compensate for the lack of lyrics, the guitarist usually is incredibly skilled, emphasizing either very fast playing (Paul Gilbert) or strange sounds (Steve Vai/Buckethead).

Some examples of Instrumental Rock:

Steve Vai - Bad Horsie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5BrE1Pi5cU

Joe Satriani - Always With Me, Always With You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4fPv450OYM

Paul Gilbert - The Curse of Castle Dragon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCuHAfOPlBI

Buckethead - Jordan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTcg9JybEp8

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nAwmVLQSk

Those 5 are some of my favorite instrumental rock songs. My question to xkcd and its followers: Anyone else here who enjoys the complex melodies created by guitars of this genre? Anyone know of any other good instrumental rock songs or artists? Anyone else ever try to play any of these kinds of songs on guitar?
"Light a fire for a man, he will be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life." -- Terry Brooks

PM for random conversation, I'll discuss just about anything.

Guitarist_09

Re: Instrumental Rock

Postby Guitarist_09 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Alot of it is actually pretty cool, i don't have too much, but what i do have is generally pretty good. I like Soothsayer by Buckethead and Cliffs of Dover (i know i sound like a guitar hero fanboy >_< but yeah.) Buckethead has some pretty cool stuff.

Someguy1332

Postby Someguy1332 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

Guitar virtuosos are boring, post rock on the other hand. Yes please. That's the best kind of instrumental music.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned here, but here's a few other bands that deserve a mention:

God is an Astronaut
If These Trees Could Talk
Saxon Shore (Their new album is kickass)
Gifts from Enola
By the End of Tonight

Probably some other ones that I'm forgetting.
There aren't enough positive adjectives to describe how wonderful I am.
http://www.last.fm/user/Someguy1332

stevegld

Postby stevegld » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Having a skill to play actual good music is amazing. So many musicians today don't have the capacity to play their own music. They simply go up sing and collect money (some can't even sing they need to lip sync). Anyways being able to perform and perform well is so cool. Many artists mentioned here are really amazing.

Return to “Music”