Meat Loaf

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CorranH
A-dork-able

Meat Loaf

Postby CorranH » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

No, I didn't accidentally post this in the wrong forum, I'm talking about the fat singer. What do you guys think of him? Personally, I love Meat Loaf. I've got twenty or thirty of his songs on my computer/MP3 player, and at least one or two of his songs seem to make it in to every playlist I make. I seem to be discovering, though, that most people don't like Meat Loaf. Is this an accurate assessment? Or am I just interacting with people who suck? Well, obviously I must be, because they don't appreciate Meat Loaf. But is their suckiness normal, or abnormal? Also, for those who don't like Meat Loaf, I'm kind of curious, what's your general opinion of other Jim Steinman songs? Like 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' by Bonnie Tyler, or 'Making Love Out of Nothing at All' by Air Supply?
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

KingAl

Re: Meat Loaf

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

To me, Meat Loaf's songs and the two others you've cited share a similar quality of being a bit theatrical and gaudy - and pretty much anything from the 80s is hopelessly dated. If anything, that's probably what drives people away. If you can look past or even enjoy the silliness, then more power to you.

gulnare

Postby gulnare » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

Hahahaaaaa,

Meatloafs "bat out of hell 2" was my first ever compact disc. I cranked it the other day while stuck in traffic. It was fun.
"...i'm putting in my 2 weeks notice,
as of 2 fucking weeks ago..."

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:42 am UTC

"If you don't go over the top, you'll never see what's on the other side." --Jim Steinman

Personally, Wagnerian rock (the genre created by Jim Steinman) is one of my favorite genres. I happen to love the bombastic, over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek rock operas he writes. I do think that Meat Loaf is the best singer of Jimmy's songs, but I've made it a hobby to collect all of the others. Jim Steinman's solo album is surprisingly listenable, but the most hilarious cover I've heard yet is Barry Manilow's version of "Read 'Em and Weep." Yes, you read that correctly.

While it is true that you will find a lot of people that don't like the stuff, it's also true that "Bat Out of Hell" has sold 45 million copies, making it one of the top 10 best-selling albums of all time. BOOH stayed on the US charts for 9 years, and to date it's never left the UK top 200 since its release 30 years ago. It's also true that Jim Steinman has written no fewer than nine #1 songs, including "I'd Do Anything for Love," which was #1 in 28 countries. So don't worry, you're not alone.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

bat out of hell 2 = awesome.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

Oh man, when I found out that paradise by the dashboard light wasn't about baseball.... that was a major loss of innocence.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

He's bloody brilliant. He's a superb singer (and actor) and indeed Jim Steinman's songs are masterpieces of orchestration - I unashamedly love him.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:04 am UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:Oh man, when I found out that paradise by the dashboard light wasn't about baseball.... that was a major loss of innocence.

Haha, my friend told me how when she was little, her dad would always turn the volume down and start asking her about her day at school and shit like that, during the 'baseball' part.

I'm glad to know I'm not so odd in loving Meat Loaf.
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

akashra

Postby akashra » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:17 am UTC

CorranH wrote:I seem to be discovering, though, that most people don't like Meat Loaf. Is this an accurate assessment?

"Most people" don't like Darren Hayes or Andrea Corr either, but that doesn't mean they don't both have awesome voices.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:02 am UTC

Don't feel bad. Most people that don't like a certain performer are reacting to some other stimulus that has nothing to do with the music. Meat Loaf and BOOH are just friggin' awesome. Paradise by the Dashboard Lights is literally the story of my life, and Bat Out of Hell is how I want to live! :)

Do these people that claim to not like Meat Loaf also not like Queen?
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:54 am UTC

I only own Bat out of Hell, but talk about a fabulous album. And baseball was forever ruined for me with Paradise...

Also, I remember a friend of mine went to a Meat Loaf concert when I was in 8t or 9th grade, and he was telling me what he thought "that" was from "Anything for Love". Disgusting.

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:45 am UTC

akashra wrote:"Most people" don't like Darren Hayes or Andrea Corr either, but that doesn't mean they don't both have awesome voices.

Not sure where you're going with that - do many people actively *dislike* Hayes (aside from homophobic rednecks) or the Corrs?
I'm pretty sure CorranH's question was with regard to people who actually think Meat Loaf is bad.
Last edited by KingAl on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

I've got the "VH1 Storytellers" disc in my house somewhere. How can anyone not like "Life is a Lemon (And I Want My Money Back)"?! 8)
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Return to “Music”