Brian Hugh Warner (Marilyn Manson)

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Philomid
Location: Out proving Einstein's theory of relativity wrong. Be back in seven years. I think...

Brian Hugh Warner (Marilyn Manson)

Postby Philomid » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Personally, I think he is one of the greatest artists the U.S. has seen in a while. He had the brains to go places with his music, he had the money to pay for those brains, yet he decided to present America with a new genre, Shock Rock. It seems that his new genre was expressive of the views of the time, and yet, it was so heavily contested by others that it almost gave this idea that those that weren't willing to move on, were gonna try to hold others back. Marilyn Manson is not close to favorite artist, but I do believe that he should been seen as an artist and not just a guy who screamed the F bomb and would dress in taboos and have songs with explicit sex. He was more than that. Discuss?

Spoiler:
SecondTalon wrote:"Dude... We've dreamed of shit like this, plans to escape, what we'd do if it were to happen.. and it did. Don't you get it? We're fucking nerds."

Gaz

Re: Brian Hugh Warner (Marilyn Manson)

Postby Gaz » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:55 am UTC

yet he decided to represent America with an older genre, Shock Rock.

Fix'd. Alice Cooper?
I'm not a fan of his music for the most part. I was pleasantly suprised how lucid he was in Bowling For Colombine however - raised my respect a little. Along with marrying a stripper.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

Philomid
Location: Out proving Einstein's theory of relativity wrong. Be back in seven years. I think...

Postby Philomid » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:01 am UTC

Whoops. :shock:

Okay, well let us ignore my mistake. Also, even if Alice Cooper created Shock Rock, he was no where near as obscene and controversial as Manson.

And yes, some of his albums were quite straightforward, blunt almost.

Spoiler:
SecondTalon wrote:"Dude... We've dreamed of shit like this, plans to escape, what we'd do if it were to happen.. and it did. Don't you get it? We're fucking nerds."

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:28 am UTC

Debatable. Alice Cooper members wore plastic see-through pants that only fogged up when they started sweating. Alice Cooper had huge sets and props, including an electric chair and guillotine - which he actually beheaded himself in during live shows. He used a freakin' python. He posed naked with said python. His music was linked to a hanging in Canada. His fans tore apart a live chicken at one show.

All that's off the top of my head. He made the Rolling Stones look like priests.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:27 am UTC

I like the guy. He seems cool and sane in interviews and things, and he understands how awesome Willy Wonka is. But the music just isn't my thing at all. His Sweet Dreams and This Is Halloween covers are pretty good.

Alice Cooper seems pretty likable and normal too, actually. I really liked the first few albums, back when it was a band and not a person. Love It to Death is a great album.

People look at me weird when I try to explain how Panic! at the Disco is like Alice Cooper.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

People are probably right?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Balkash

Postby Balkash » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:04 am UTC

Gaz wrote:All that's off the top of my head. He made the Rolling Stones look like priests.

you're talking about monk, christian, god priests right? Not Judas Priest? Cause they were a bit off the norm with all that leather and such.

but I digress, I like Manson. I believe that his music is quite unique, it is rather interestingly created. He seems to deal with many emotions and ideas that people tend to shy away from.

And yes, Cooper did kinda create Shock Rock, but he didn't parade around in a Nazi uniform. Even Cooper said he liked Manson's style.

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:32 am UTC

I was a fan of Manson for a while a while back (he was actually my first concert). I got into him right when GAOG came out, though I'm not a huge fan of that album. I really liked Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood in particular, and a few songs off of Mechanical Animals. And I agree that he was rather excellent in Bowling.

Unfortunately, while before I found his music full of symbolism and references to some CoS points of view (a religion I have a scholarly interest in to some degree), I now find him primarily just weird. GAOG was an alright album, though I feel it was somewhat shallower than his earlier works, and then that whole Celebritarian thing was just strange (though I stopped really following him about then).

I don't know. I liked his stuff, and I liked his concerts (though Dead to the World has some very strange non-concert material, in particular that protester at the very end). But he's lost something for me now.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

Every time Manson puts out a new record, I'm really interested but never get around to actually listening to it. I don't know now that it's pretty much just Brian, Twiggy having left and Pogo not being in the credits of Eat Me Drink Me, the band's seriously over and it's the same thing that happened to Alice Cooper (take that as you will).

Oh, but according to Wikipedia:
On January 9, 2008 Marilyn Manson posted a bulletin on MySpace confirming that former bassist Twiggy Ramirez was rejoining the band, and Tim Skold had parted ways with the band.

So that's something, I guess.

Another point I'd like to make is that I've always loved the friendly rivalry between Manson and Billy Corgan (I believe the official conclusion is that Billy's the better musician, but Brian's the better visual artist). Also, I've always wanted to meet Manson, just so I could call him Brian (though I'd probably chicken out),
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:Another point I'd like to make is that I've always loved the friendly rivalry between Manson and Billy Corgan (I believe the official conclusion is that Billy's the better musician, but Brian's the better visual artist). Also, I've always wanted to meet Manson, just so I could call him Brian (though I'd probably chicken out),

But who's the better singer? It always amuses me that BC wouldn't let James Iha or D'arcy play on Siamese dream, but he thought it would be alright for him to sing. :D
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Return to “Music”